7800x3d voltage issues, memory, etc... has it been solved?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
This is just general question. As I have said in a thread not much south of this in date, I haven't been keeping up with the hardware news like I used too until very recently due to an increasing interest to build a new gaming rig for my self. My 6800h/3070ti Legion is a fine laptop and its very powerful for what it is but it isn't a desktop and the CPU is anemic to me in some rendering tasks that I want to do as of late with my Mini 4 pro drone and gaming etc... I know this, im an ex Threadripper dude and I bought my laptop as a gap filler for the time being. My concern is with all the reports of, especially ASUS boards, killing x3d chips due to SOC over current etc... I have also heard of RAM issues plaguing the platform.

I am interested in driving up to Atlanta from Savannah where I live and snagging me a 7800x3d, 32GB of 7200, and an ASRock 670e board. I want to steer clear of Asus based on Gamers Nexus reports on absolutely trash over current protection and SOC voltages that are frying the chips.

Have these issues been resolved for the most part? Any of you specifically using an X3d chip having any issues?

Is there any wisdom to share with me that can help me in either avoiding the chip or going for it?

Thanks

No real reasons to avoid ASUS. With the newer BIOS updates, this all was solved months ago.

No real reasons to avoid ASUS. With the newer BIOS updates, this all was solved months ago.
FWIW, Asus tried to screw over their customers by including warranty void language in their beta BIOS fixes for their too-high SOC voltage (that went against what AMD told them was safe).

They later back peddled after it was brought to light by Gamers Nexus (and others), but I'm not going to be giving them money for a long time. Not until I'm satisfied that they aren't going to try and screw over customers en masse again.

For the OP - the problem of vendors using too high of an SOC voltage has been resolved for quite some time via BIOS update. Don't set SOC voltage above 1.3V and you'll be fine. If you want a motherboard recommendation, the Asrock X670E Steel Legend has been rock solid. Got mine set up with a (on the memory QVL) 96GB kit of 6400 C32 RAM and its been rock solid. I went Asrock for AM5 because MSI (as well as Asus) user reviews were terrible on the whole, and this Asrock board actually had really good user reviews - as well as having great connectivity for a good price (got it for 259 on Black Friday). My only complaints are no CMOS reset button on the backplate (it's got a header that needs to be shorted on the bottom of the board) and no 7 segment display for error codes.

On 7200 speed RAM - it's not like Intel where you need fast RAM to get remotely close to X3D performance. 6000 C30 is really good, especially if you can get a set where you can follow Buildzoids guidelines. For myself, I gained ~10% bandwidth and decreased latency by ~30% on Aida64's cache and memory benchmark by using Buildzoids guide for all Hynix M die kits can do this for AMD 7000 series chips (my kit is Hynix M die). That's over stock 6400 XMP, and I'm running 6000 with his secondary timings. More than 6000 MT/s may matter more for the 9000X3D chips, but it really doesn't for the 7800X3D as you gain more from tighter timings (and it's cheaper).

Last edited:
Is there any wisdom to share with me that can help me in either avoiding the chip or going for it?

Thanks

You're gonna be big mad if you buy 7200 ram expecting 7200 plug and play (same for Intel). But the well binned kits you definitely have options for tuning. Otherwise its a solid plan, I'm currently using a 7800X3D on a cheap ASRock B650 board and it runs great. I personally don't see the point of X670/E, its just a literal doubling of the chipset SOC so you get more USB ports. But if you like it go for it.

I'm still having problems with my Asus board, I feel like it was basically an IQ tax at this point.

My recommendation is to buy an Asrock motherboard for AM5. They seem to have the best handle on AM5. Their lower priced boards also tend to be relatively better in practical features.

You're gonna be big mad if you buy 7200 ram expecting 7200 plug and play (same for Intel). But the well binned kits you definitely have options for tuning. Otherwise its a solid plan, I'm currently using a 7800X3D on a cheap ASRock B650 board and it runs great. I personally don't see the point of X670/E, its just a literal doubling of the chipset SOC so you get more USB ports. But if you like it go for it.

I'm still having problems with my Asus board, I feel like it was basically an IQ tax at this point.
Ive been building for longer than some of our forum members have been alive. Since the 90s. At any rate I figured with a certified and QVL kit using DOCP or EXPO I could probably settle a good 7000 7200 if im really lucky but then again I posted this thread and the questions because as much as I'd like to admit I am informed of the latest to the minute hardware news I am just not. I just keep rading that the absolute sweet spot for vcache cpu is 7200.

My recommendation is to buy an Asrock motherboard for AM5. They seem to have the best handle on AM5. Their lower priced boards also tend to be relatively better in practical features.
Yes I have my crosshair set on Asrock. I have a microcenter in Atlanta, 2 of em actually. Im a 3 hour drive away in Savannah so I can make a day trip up there and back. All of this stuff is readily available to me. Its a shame they wont ship it. I have to spend a hundred in fuel to go up there and back if and when I do go.

Ive been building for longer than some of our forum members have been alive. Since the 90s. At any rate I figured with a certified and QVL kit using DOCP or EXPO I could probably settle a good 7000 7200 if im really lucky but then again I posted this thread and the questions because as much as I'd like to admit I am informed of the latest to the minute hardware news I am just not. I just keep rading that the absolute sweet spot for vcache cpu is 7200.
Well, that last link in my first reply shows that 7600 C36 is most of the time slower than 6000 C30 for gaming with the 7800X3D... but you do you.

Do you have some data showing 7200 to be beneficial? 7200 makes the memory ratio out of favor. From what I have seen, there are only a couple of games where 7200 beats 6000 - 6200 at 1:1 memory ratio. You generally would need something much higher, to overcome the ratio issue. And that's not practical with current CPUs and motherboards, outside of a couple of cherries out there.

I would recommend buying a good set of 7200 (or a low latency set of 6000)----and tuning it for 6000 - 6400 (if you get lucky with your CPU), using Buildzoid's videos as a reference.
7200 is generally achievable for most Raptor Lake and Raptor Lake refresh, using Z790/B760 boards. Its somewhere past 7400, where things start to get murky. However, Raptor Lake Refresh should generally be better. But, board quality and even cherry picked boards, can start to become important at those higher speeds. Also, active cooling for the RAM comes into play, as well. Many DDR5 sticks won't stay stable for long, past about 7600, due to heat issues. Regardless of the CPU and the board.

The problem is that you’re going to struggle to even get it to POST. I’d wager 99% of the people saying they have stable 7000+ on AM5 haven’t actually tested it very well. 5 minutes of Karhu will usually reveal a pile of errors even if it can launch a game. Ask me how I know. I am not someone that does 24 hour memory testing marathons but I’ve gotten to where I can sniff out a bad DDR5 overlock in like 90 seconds at this point.

I’m not trying to dissuade you, get the kit it’s obviously a good bin if it’s 7200 rated. Just don’t feel too bad if you have to run it at 6200 1:1 with tight timings instead. In my own gaming tests I have to exceed 7600 to get past 6200 custom timings and ironically only my 7600 non-x chip will do it which is kind of a waste of time.

Well, that last link in my first reply shows that 7600 C36 is most of the time slower than 6000 C30 for gaming with the 7800X3D... but you do you.
I didnt see a link sorry. I am not going to do me. I am going to do what makes sense. If you posted a lnk and I didnt catch it or see it then dont be offended. I didn't see it. its that simple. I will go back and review it.

7200 is just some passerby data I picked up without verifying anyhting. 6000 is fine or whatever. Saves me money. If 7000+ is hard to achieve with any semblance of stabiltiy then screw that. I want to just turn on the machine and enjoy it. Not fiddle with it for hours to get to run a browser for 5 mins before locking up or sitting there training ram for an hour each startup.

I didnt see a link sorry. I am not going to do me. I am going to do what makes sense. If you posted a lnk and I didnt catch it or see it then dont be offended. I didn't see it. its that simple. I will go back and review it.
No biggie - I'm just trying to help.

No biggie - I'm just trying to help.
Believe me you helped. I read your comments and have looked into what you said and you are right. I am gathering information. Your input was and is valuable and I appreciate it!

6000 Cas30 is what you are recommending. I read that else where as well just recently. Well close to that same recommendation. It saves me money too hah!

I’ve been running a 7800X3D with 6000 cl 30 gskill since around launch on a gigabyte B650M DS3H. I never see anyone say anything nice about their boards on this forum but in the motherboard roundups that I have read (or watched on YouTube) it is highly competitive, especially for the price point. It is pretty bare bones but it’s a good performer. I use mine almost exclusively for gaming. Handles EXPO settings just fine with my memory.

I’ve been running a 7800X3D with 6000 cl 30 gskill since around launch on a gigabyte B650M DS3H. I never see anyone say anything nice about their boards on this forum but in the motherboard roundups that I have read (or watched on YouTube) it is highly competitive, especially for the price point. It is pretty bare bones but it’s a good performer. I use mine almost exclusively for gaming. Handles EXPO settings just fine with my memory.
Have you checked the SOC on your board with HWinfo? I have the same one, and even with latest BIOS (from last month) it's over 1.3 SOC on a 5600 kit when I enable EXPO (1.32, 1.34). Talk about "following" guidelines Gigabyte... They literally just slap 1.3 in BIOS when you turn EXPO on (and shows a good bit higher as measured in BIOS and HWinfo). It behaved EXACTLY the same on day 1 when 7800 X3D was released so they didn't even change anything at all, besides removing the option to go higher than 1.3v.

It's stable when you manually lower it (I didn't go lower than 1.25) however it can occasionally (every few months) fail to boot and require a clear CMOS to reset. Yep. I don't know if the latest BIOS will help with that, we will find out in a few months I guess. Previous versions all behaved the same.

Last edited:
Which ones have quality VRM's and don't feel like thin garbage? I'm not opposed to checking out an Asrock board but I'm not sure which their better tier boards are in the upper lower to mid range.

Have you checked the SOC on your board with HWinfo? I have the same one, and even with latest BIOS (from last month) it's over 1.3 SOC on a 5600 kit when I enable EXPO (1.32, 1.34). Talk about "following" guidelines Gigabyte... They literally just slap 1.3 in BIOS when you turn EXPO on (and shows a good bit higher as measured in BIOS and HWinfo). It behaved EXACTLY the same on day 1 when 7800 X3D was released so they didn't even change anything at all, besides removing the option to go higher than 1.3v.

It's stable when you manually lower it (I didn't go lower than 1.25) however it can occasionally (every few months) fail to boot and require a clear CMOS to reset. Yep. I don't know if the latest BIOS will help with that, we will find out in a few months I guess. Previous versions all behaved the same.
I have not experienced that behavior with my board. Never had to reset the cmos.

I have not experienced that behavior with my board. Never had to reset the cmos.
Read my message again: it won't happen if you leave things on auto. Lowering the SOC is the cause.

Gigabyte's SOC setting simply exceeds AMD's guidance (I'm not saying that should be taken as gospel, I'm just pointing out something does not look right from what we were told, even if it probably is fine). They (Gigabyte) seemingly crank it up to "1.3" as soon as you turn EXPO on, no matter the memory kit behind it. But 1.3 set in BIOS goes up to 1.32-34 in actual usage (varies depending on the load). This is reported by the motherboard itself, as well as HWinfo.

This issue has been solved months ago and FWIW, I've been running a 7800X3D on launch day without ever updating to a "fixed" BIOS revision and I have had ZERO issues because the SoC voltage was set to a reasonable 1.25v on a Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX with 6000 CL30 EXPO.

Which ones have quality VRM's and don't feel like thin garbage? I'm not opposed to checking out an Asrock board but I'm not sure which their better tier boards are in the upper lower to mid range.

I have literally the cheapest B650M HDV/m.2 and its fantastic, so there really isn't a "lower" range. Its all about if you need more USB ports or not. Although I would highly recommend the B650 Taichi Lite for ~$250.

Not having any issues here running stock bought the CPU in October, i did update my bios(non beta) to the latest one at the time.

I can’t recommend MSI tomahawk enough. Priced like a B650 high end board (I got mine for 270) and offers PCIe 5 for graphics and SSD plus 3 other PCIe 4.0 NVMe slots. Can’t be beat.

Also great for minor tweaking of memory etc.

For 7800x3d. All b650 or x670 will run it fine and to its max potential. For choosing boards, different people have different requirements, just list you top 5 requirements the select based on that. (> 3 m.2 , 3 PCIe slots , WiFi, 10Gbe, USB 3.2 2 x 2, USB4/TB , PCIe 5.0 , back kit audio jacks …. etc. etc. you can refer to the following list someone kindly complied on google sheets.
View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NQHkDEcgDPm34Mns3C93K6SJoBnua-x9O-y_6hv8sPs/edit#gid=2064683589

Back