720/1080p online playback

ugemeistro

Weaksauce
I'm currently using a Dell Venue Pro 11 for just basic online stuff, but notice anytime i do any internet playback i'm lucky to get 360p to work on YouTube.

So, I'm wanting to get back and build an FM2+ or AM3+ system to get me some better online playback of 720p/1080p. I have 23MBs down from U-verse. I'm thinking of something around 8GBs of DDR3 to start with. What cpu/gpu would anyone care to recommend?

You know how incredibly unlikely it is that your Broadwell Core M machine can't handle video acceleration? Especially at 360p? Yeah, the answer is somewhere between zero...and...nil!

The thing at fault is likely your internet provider. See this informative article, and then be pissed off!

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ecret-deals-that-make-and-break-online-video/

That's great in all but when i had my A10 cpu i could atleast do 720p on my 23in Acer with no problems. So are you saying that everything is more throttled than it was 4 months ago?

It has to be. Any other reason makes no sense. Both those processors are capable of playing back 1080p easily, so:

1. The fact that it wasn't so good to start with ("just" 720p, when Youtube can offer 1080p on almost every video).
2. and the fact that it got worse over time

points to your ISP being the cause. And then there's complaints like this to follow:

http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/1900gf/is_att_uverse_throttling_youtube/

You might try some of the workarounds in that thread. You might also try watching the videos during other times of the day.

I had a similar issue with FIOS and Youtube until early 2014. Videos would play back fine on my smartphone on Sprint WIMAX, but as soon as I switches to WiFi the videos came to a crawl. It was pretty fucking sad. They also had similar issues with Netflix, which they fixed last year. Point is: you don't always get the bandwidth you pay for, and different data connections get different pipes.

Easy way to tell: open up task manager and see what your CPU usage is while you playback a video, and post s screenshot. I might not be able to see the screenshot here at work, so if you can tell me the peak processor usage I can help you out before I get home tonight :D

Your Core M processor has 4 threads. If it's at least 25%, that means at least one of your threads is fully-pegged, so maybe you're hitting a processing wall. But it it's less, then you're using hardware decoding, and your connection is the limit here.

Last edited:
It has to be. Any other reason makes no sense. Both those processors are capable of playing back 1080p easily, so:

1. The fact that it wasn't so good to start with ("just" 720p, when Youtube can offer 1080p on almost every video).
2. and the fact that it got worse over time

points to your ISP being the cause. And then there's complaints like this to follow:

http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/1900gf/is_att_uverse_throttling_youtube/

You might try some of the workarounds in that thread. You might also try watching the videos during other times of the day.

I had a similar issue with FIOS and Youtube until early 2014. Videos would play back fine on my smartphone on Sprint WIMAX, but as soon as I switches to WiFi the videos came to a crawl. It was pretty fucking sad. They also had similar issues with Netflix, which they fixed last year. Point is: you don't always get the bandwidth you pay for, and different data connections get different pipes.

Easy way to tell: open up task manager and see what your CPU usage is while you playback a video, and post s screenshot. I might not be able to see the screenshot here at work, so if you can tell me the peak processor usage I can help you out before I get home tonight :D

Your Core M processor has 4 threads. If it's at least 25%, that means at least one of your threads is fully-pegged, so maybe you're hitting a processing wall. But it it's less, then you're using hardware decoding, and your connection is the limit here.

cpu is at 56%, RAM is at 62% (4GBs) and network is at 24%. quick update - that was on CHROME and I tried IE and the CPU dropped to 27% RAM hits 43% and network is still 24%.

Is that constant load as you play the video, or just the occasional peak (like when a video is loading)?

Also, I'm surprised your network use is that high. Even if you have an older 802.11n router you should not require more than 2-3Mbps SUSTAINED for 720p video (should be less than 10%). Or are you still rocking the 802.11g?

Can you also tell me what you're getting on a normal speed test at the time you run this test?

Last edited:
Is that constant load as you play the video, or just the occasional peak (like when a video is loading)?

Also, I'm surprised your network use is that high. Even if you have an older 802.11n router you should not require more than 2-3Mbps SUSTAINED for 720p video (should be less than 10%). Or are you still rocking the 802.11g?

Can you also tell me what you're getting on a normal speed test at the time you run this test?

I actually have the Dell Venue Pro 11 in it's dock, with the gigabit Ethernet plugged in. The numbers are constant as I'm playing the video. I'm on IGN.com and 1080p won't play with out jittery video, but 720p plays fine. I just used Ccleaner to clear everything out and fix the registry as well, and both browsers seem to run better, I still have to wait 10-15 secs for a page to fully load to scroll through the page properly.

I'll test it tonight when I get home.

15 seconds for a Core M processor to load a webpage is simply outrageous, unless your connection speed is slower than 56k. Is the processor getting pegged as the webpage is loading, or is something else slowing things down?

Also, have you noticed that your processor stays pegged at all times even when you're not doing anything? Could it be time to reinstall Windows fresh, just in case you got owned by some random exploit?

I'll test it tonight when I get home.

15 seconds for a Core M processor to load a webpage is simply outrageous, unless your connection speed is slower than 56k. Is the processor getting pegged as the webpage is loading, or is something else slowing things down?

Also, have you noticed that your processor stays pegged at all times even when you're not doing anything? Could it be time to reinstall Windows fresh, just in case you got owned by some random exploit?

If you can suggest something to check to see if something is running hidden. I'd most appreciate it. I did a speedtest.net and it's showing 22.98MBs down and 3.22 up

Again, this has a soldered 4GB DDR3 with no means of upgrading.

If you can suggest something to check to see if something is running hidden. I'd most appreciate it. I did a speedtest.net and it's showing 22.98MBs down and 3.22 up

Again, this has a soldered 4GB DDR3 with no means of upgrading.

Ram should not be an issue here. What I need to know is how much your processor is loaded when it's not doing anything. Under task manager, does the processor loading ever go down to zero, or near-zero?

Just close all other programs except your web browser, only have a single tab open, and load a simple webpage like Google.com, and tell me how low your processor usage gets after a minute. Don't do anything else so we can get an idea of your idle CPU usage.

It SHOULD be near-zero. if not, then you have other issues.

That's low enough. home in an hour, and I'll see how that video behaves then, bit on Intel graphics and Nvidia.

It's IGN's shitty web player. You'll have to try turning off all your other programs and closing ALL your tabs.

On my Core i3 at 2.5 GHz HD 2000: CPU usage at 1080p peaks at 35%, with an average of 20%. If I load two more podcasts simultaneously, it gets high enough to cause dropped frames. I can imagine you'd hit this limit with a CPU running at less than half that speed.

Also, sometimes their page played TWO VIDEO ADS AT THE SAME TIME, fucking idiots :(

Youtube 1080p on this same computer uses 10%, with a few peaks at 15%.

Have you tried downloading the podcast?

If you insist on using their shitty webpage, I'm afraid your ultra-mega-portable CPU is not enough for 1080p.

Maybe you can fix the throttling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaLHKJ8Ehr4

Last edited:
Well then if you want the processing power you paid for, you're going to have to follow the instructions in that video I linked.

50% throttling means you're getting slower speed than an Atom tablet!

It will go through battery faster, and the outside will get a little warmer, but otherwise it should be fine!

Last edited:
Well then if you want the processing power you paid for, you're going to have to follow the instructions in that video I linked.

50% throttling means you're getting slower speed than an Atom tablet!

Thank you for all the help, I think I'm just gonna go back to a desktop. I only paid $280 for this at a local pawn shop and $50 for the dock.

Okay then, yeah I thought you had invested more.

I always recommend desktops, very little chance of throttling :D

That said, unless you're going to sell it...no harm in trying the hack, erm

Back