6950 XT vs 7900XT - What to Choose for Upgrade?

vjhawk

Limp Gawd
Ok serious question, Black Friday sales are coming up and these two video cards are about $150 apart. It feels to me like the 6950XT offers slightly more bang for the buck even though it's a generation older.

What I've found on Newegg is that the 6950 XT sells for just $599 versus the 7900XT for $749.

So the Pros for the 7900 XT is it offers 4GB more VRAM and is a later generation.

But the 6950 XT is pretty fast still and $150 cheaper feels significant!

Which one would you go for? I'm running an RX 6800 now that is doing pretty much enough of what I need at 1440p resolutions.

Another thing I could consider is upgrading to a 4k display to justify the video card upgrade. But still most of the best ultrawide displays still run 3440x1440 resolution. Thoughts?

TBH I'm not hurting for an upgrade but the Newegg Trade-In video card program combined with Black Friday sales makes me very curious to pull the trigger.

Also remember the 7900 XT comes with the Avatar game.

Things about the 7900 XT which are better:

1. a bit better performance, overall.
2. Less power usage
3. more VRAM
4. If AMD improves visual quality with FSR3----its possible that will not work on the 6950XT. And I don't think FSR3 Framegen works on older cards, either.
5. Better H.264/265 encoders. And has AV1 encoder, which the 6950XT does not have.
6. Anti-Lag+ is currently deactivated. But, once they figure out a better implementation, it was supposedly only for RDNA3 cards.
7. Better support for AI workloads. and better support for productivity apps.

Agree. If buying brand new at this point the 7900xt all day. I have a reference model and love it. The 6000 series cards are still fine but I would only buy them used anymore for the price performance angle. They are last gen after all and why over pay for that?

If the $150 extra bother you then definitely get the 7900XT. Newer generation, longer driver support, etc.

Get the 7900XT. I own the 6900XT so one step behind the 6950XT. I wish I had an RDNA3 board. The only exception that I can think of would be if you want to do GPU Passthrough (VFIO) -- the newer RDNA3 seems to have issues with that.

With the price drops over the past couple weeks, I just ordered a Sapphire Pulse 7900XT for $729 to upgrade from my 6900XT.

sam

Just went from a 6900 XT to 7900 XTX and the perf difference is easily noticeable.

Back