6950 reference is a bit hot and tad loud during idle - way to fix this?

haunter

[H]ard|Gawd
sell me the ref card, and buy one of the non ref dual fan cards

I have this one and its way quieter than my ref card

with the rebate and their 10 off coupon code its still a good deal

how the crap did that happen

hah! I don't know.

I'm the OP for the record.

thanks for the info on the 250/450 thing. is there anything I can use to control the fan better?

edit: holy hell. this is one bizarre thread.

So i'm a big fan of my computer being very quiet

I had a geforce 260 previously and my computer was whisper quiet. I upgraded to a 6950 reference card and its a beauty and runs great but idles at 63 with fan at 30%...this is not loud but it is audible. this is with automatic fan control. if i put the fan at 20% (i have to manual override to do this) it becomes silent with no change in temperature..i have two monitors so I know it's going to idle slightly higher but I still think a) these temps seem a bit high for idle and b) the fan is high for idle

Right now when go into catalyst control center and look at 'overdrive' tab or whatever it shows that my gpu is alternating between a clock of 450/1250 and 800/1250 (this i'm assuming is it 'downclocking'. but it doesnt seem low enough - other people say theirs goes down to 250. also it kicks back up to 800 for no reason at all...load is always at 0% when on the desktop) What is the easiest way to get my vid card to downclock when i'm just using the desktop -- I want the fan to go down to 20% if possible. i'm thinking if it downclocks enough the idle temp wont be too bad either.

I can manually control the fan speed using the Catalyst contorl center but I dont want to do that obviously because I want the fan to ramp up when the card goes to load.

250 is only with one monitor. As soon as you connect a second display the lowest it will ever go is 450.

Also, many things these days are GPU accelerated. Even simply using your browser may cause your clock speeds to ramp up because things such as flash will use your GPU by default.

250 is only with one monitor. As soon as you connect a second display the lowest it will ever go is 450.

Also, many things these days are GPU accelerated. Even simply using your browser may cause your clock speeds to ramp up because things such as flash will use your GPU by default.

hrm...so there's no way to make it clock down to 250 with two monitors? What is the point of having it up at 450...it's just my desktop

Back