6950 Eyefinity Screen Tearing

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there anyway drivers can fix this? Or is this a limit of the physical hardware incorporated with the 6950. I'm kinda pissed because I wouldn't have ordered the 6950 if I had known about this issue before.

This happens only when you enable V-sync. For most users, this is not a problem, since few people use V-sync. However, it seems that if you're running in portrait mode, tearing is more prominent in non-V-sync mode, which prompts people to try the (broken) V-sync, which also has tearing.

This happens only when you enable V-sync. For most users, this is not a problem, since few people use V-sync. However, it seems that if you're running in portrait mode, tearing is more prominent in non-V-sync mode, which prompts people to try the (broken) V-sync, which also has tearing.

I turned off Vsync and the tearing isnt so prevalent.

Tearing is really noticeable for me when playing games/videos, except BC2 for some reason has very little.

I'm running a single 6950 and 3 monitors (1920x1080) in Portrait Eyefinity. V-sync on/off doesn't seem to change much since its already pretty active. I haven't tried putting them in landscape to see if that helps, but desk space could become an issue then. Currently 1 is dp and the other are in DVI. Tearing only happens on the cable type that's not connect to the primary display.

I just got the monitors so I'm still researching, but I'm curious if anyone has tried a display port splitter similar to this. I'd envision hooking up all three monitors via DP using one of the splitters + two cables for two monitors, then another cable for one monitor.

Its a lot cheaper than $150+ for a multi-monitor adapter which won't even work at a resolution above 3840x1024.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The reason it is noticeable to you is because you are running portrait. For whatever reason, as Vega observed elsewhere, tearing is much easier to notice (or maybe just more prominent) in portrait.

As for solutions, sadly, there are none yet and no good ones will emerge. You will need to wait on something called an MST hub that costs $150+ and lets you daisy-chain DP monitors. Or you can sell your 6950 when the 6990 comes out, and buy that (it will have 5 DP outputs).

Or you can just play in landscape mode until you decide what to do. I bought two Asus LED 24" monitors the other day to replace the 22" ones I had flanking my 27" Asus monitor (so that I could return the 22" to portrait mode), in landscape, and I am very happy with it. The immersion, at least IMO, comes from being "surrounded" visually. Can't get that with portrait.

The reason it is noticeable to you is because you are running portrait. For whatever reason, as Vega observed elsewhere, tearing is much easier to notice (or maybe just more prominent) in portrait.

As for solutions, sadly, there are none yet and no good ones will emerge. You will need to wait on something called an MST hub that costs $150+ and lets you daisy-chain DP monitors. Or you can sell your 6950 when the 6990 comes out, and buy that (it will have 5 DP outputs).

Or you can just play in landscape mode until you decide what to do. I bought two Asus LED 24" monitors the other day to replace the 22" ones I had flanking my 27" Asus monitor (so that I could return the 22" to portrait mode), in landscape, and I am very happy with it. The immersion, at least IMO, comes from being "surrounded" visually. Can't get that with portrait.

Thanks, I'd read most of that earlier in the thread. Upon further research it does seem that waiting for MST hubs or spending an extra $150 on a different gpu are my only options. I'm gonna try putting them in landscape mode, but its a bit tricky since I have to put the 3rd on a different table.

I'm running one Dell u2311 and then two NEC EA231's that I got from buy for ~$167 ea. So the extra hardware is a considerable amount of the overall cost, but I'm pretty pleased with my setup so far outside of the tearing. I'd thought Eyefinity had matured for a bit more has it took me over five hours of research before I ran into any mention of serious tearing. The first mention I found was actually this thread. I'm inexperience at Eyefinity though so I spent a lot of time looking at cable setup/gpu requirements.

Upon further testing, the issue does go away almost entirely in landscape mode or two similar cable types grouped in portrait mode w/ a 3rd display extended.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 6950 (first AMD/ATI card ever) and ran into this issue - tearing on the DP->DVI port. I'm guessing since the issue is still here now 8 months later that this will be a permanent deal. Any update? If there isn't a fix I'm bailing and gonna go back to the green team and SLI I guess. A bit disappointed but it bothers me quite a bit.

What are you using to convert displayport to DVI? Often it's the adapters at fault for this, not AMD themselves.

Get an Asus DirectCU II version to run your monitors off of. They have 4x DP and 2x DVI ports. Run your eyefinity group off of the DP ports. I'm running 2x in CF with no tearing whatsoever.

Get an Asus DirectCU II version to run your monitors off of. They have 4x DP and 2x DVI ports. Run your eyefinity group off of the DP ports. I'm running 2x in CF with no tearing whatsoever.

I would but my motherboard can't handle 2 cards that are 3 slots.

Question: My 2nd pcie slot could handle a 3 slot card but the top one only a 2 slot card. Could I combine the asus card with a regular 2 slot card and run my 3 monitors off the asus card in the 2nd slot? Or do monitors have to run off the top card?

Heh, you guys are all acting like there isn't a hub available yet... I've got a solution for you that will work RIGHT NOW. :D

First, connect this active DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter to the first mini-DisplayPort on your graphics card.
Second, connect this active DisplayPort-to-3X DVI adapter hub to the second mini-DisplayPort on your graphics card.

Connect your first monitor to the single-port adapter, connect your other two monitors to two ports on the 3-port adapter (leaving one DVI port on the adapter unoccupied). This will allow you to run up to 3x 1920x1200.
The active DisplayPort-to-3X DVI adapter hub is Displayport 1.1, so it's bandwidth limited. It supports a maximum horizontal resolution of 4096 no matter what screens are plugged in where. 2x 1920x1200 = 3840 pixels wide, which is under the limit.

Heh, you guys are all acting like there isn't a hub available yet... I've got a solution for you that will work RIGHT NOW. :D

First, connect this active DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter to the first mini-DisplayPort on your graphics card.
Second, connect this active DisplayPort-to-3X DVI adapter hub to the second mini-DisplayPort on your graphics card.

Connect your first monitor to the single-port adapter, connect your other two monitors to two ports on the 3-port adapter (leaving one DVI port on the adapter unoccupied). This will allow you to run up to 3x 1920x1200.
The active DisplayPort-to-3X DVI adapter hub is Displayport 1.1, so it's bandwidth limited. It supports a maximum horizontal resolution of 4096 no matter what screens are plugged in where. 2x 1920x1200 = 3840 pixels wide, which is under the limit.

Pricey and also my sapphire only has one display port. It also has a 1024 vertical resolution limit.

Last edited:
Hay, I never said it was cheap, only that it would work RIGHT NOW.

Your other option is to use a TripleHead2Go (or its clone, the Mview). Those products cost roughly $300, work off of a single DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI port, and top out at a resolution of triple-1920x1080.

It also has a 1024 vertical resolution limit.
Only when running three screens. Running just two frees up the bandwidth for higher resolutions like 2x 1920x1200.

Last edited:
Hay, I never said it was cheap, only that it would work RIGHT NOW.

Your other option is to use a TripleHead2Go (or its clone, the Mview). Those products cost roughly $300, work off of a single DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI port, and top out at a resolution of triple-1920x1080.

Only when running three screens. Running just two frees up the bandwidth for higher resolutions like 2x 1920x1200.

The first cable you linked is not a active mini dp to dvi, it's a active displayport to dvi. It will not natively plug into the card. Well not mine at least as my cards have 2 mini dp. Not sure if your talking about someone elses card specifically.

The first cable you linked is not a active mini dp to dvi, it's a active displayport to dvi. It will not natively plug into the card. Well not mine at least as my cards have 2 mini dp. Not sure if your talking about someone elses card specifically.

I have a sapphire card and it has 1 display port (not mini), 1 hdmi, 2 dvi. But anyway I've already got the RMA number from newegg. I just have to figure out what direction i'm going from here.

That is certainly true but unfortunately a 3 slot card covers my 2nd pcie slot. Kinda want to keep crossfire option open. Only solution is 6990 on the AMD side besides mobo upgrade. Yes, the 6990 is a bit pricey but when you consider 6990s come with displayport adapters it really is about the same price as a pair of 6970s + adapters. It would also allow for future 3 way crossfire. On the other hand considering we are nearing the end of the 6xxx life i'm not sure that is the best way to go either. No good solution! lol.

I have a 6970 with 2x mini-DP ports and I get the screen tearing problem that the OP mentions (running 1xDP and 2xDVI). I want to run eyefinity to 3 monitors in 1920x1080 without the tearing if possible and this method seems pretty good, should it work. Has anyone used the method above to get their eyefinity working properly or seen someone try it? A web search turned up nothing.

I have a 6970 with 2x mini-DP ports and I get the screen tearing problem that the OP mentions (running 1xDP and 2xDVI). I want to run eyefinity to 3 monitors in 1920x1080 without the tearing if possible and this method seems pretty good, should it work. Has anyone used the method above to get their eyefinity working properly or seen someone try it? A web search turned up nothing.

Just in case anyone was interested in trying to use Dell's multiple monitor hub to get eyefinity to work without screen tearing on two DPs and three screens, it doesn't work correctly. My computer only saw the hub and the 2 DVI connected monitors as 1 monitor, so Catalyst would only do 2x1 for eyefinity at 3840x1080 for me (not the 5760x1080 I wanted). If anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear them, but it seems that if you want to fix the screen tearing problem, you're going to have to get a new vid card or wait for an MST hub.

Back