6950 causes computer to reboot right before Windows

Zorn

Limp Gawd
I picked up a Radeon 6950 today with the intention of flashing it to a 6970. When I first installed the card, the computer appears to be working fine, I get the POST screens, then right before it goes to the Windows 7 loading screen, the computer just reboots itself. This continues ad infinitum. I have tried booting from a Windows DVD, and the same thing happens, it simply reboots before getting anywhere.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? My current card is a GTX 295, which I'm pretty sure takes more power than this one would. Either way, my PSU is a 750 Watt PC Power & Cooling, so I really don't think the problem is enough power.

Did you uninstall all your Nvidia drivers?

Can you boot into safe mode with the 6950?

Did you uninstall all your Nvidia drivers?

Can you boot into safe mode with the 6950?

I uninstalled the nvidia drivers prior to putting in the new card. I also tried hitting f8 for safe mode prompt, it reboots before i get that far

Wait, so does it actually complete POST (how it's worded is ambiguous). I'm with DrDoU in asking if you bumped anything else while you put the card in.

Wait, so does it actually complete POST (how it's worded is ambiguous). I'm with DrDoU in asking if you bumped anything else while you put the card in.

It completes POST and gets to the point where the windows loading screen should kick in, then reboots. I didn't bump anything because putting the old card back in works fine.

I would double check and make sure the 6 pin power connectors are on tight. Also are you using molex to 6 pin connectors ? If so make sure your using molex connectors that are not plugged into anything else

Corrupt bios on the card maybe?
When it accesses Windows it adjusts to new clock/voltage data. Maybe try flipping the bios switch and trying the 2nd one on the card.

My first guess would be drivers, but that seems too obvious. You can boot into safe mode (with the 295) and run a sweeper, but I doubt it would make a difference.
PSU and PCI-E slot seem okay since they work with your other card.

Probably best to try it in another system if no immediate solutions present themselves...

wait doesnt the card have dual bios? check and make sure the switch isnt on the second bios. i remember brent saying his was flipped while it was in the box.

1292337625zR9jST7GBp_1_13_l.gif

even if it was switched to the second option with no bios on it the card would still post but fail as windows tries to load since it has no idea what the display adapter is.

Update MB BIOS and reset all overclocks(CPU, RAM) and voltages, then try again.

I would double check and make sure the 6 pin power connectors are on tight. Also are you using molex to 6 pin connectors ? If so make sure your using molex connectors that are not plugged into anything else

This and make sure the card is seated correctly in the slot.

Maybe even try it in another slot if you can.

This and make sure the card is seated correctly in the slot.

Maybe even try it in another slot if you can.

I've triple checked the 6 pin connectors, which are direct from the psu , not molex adapters. I've also tried a different pci e slot with the same result. I will try updating my Mobo bios and also flipping the bios switch on the card and report my results. Thanks for the suggestions guys

any issues on the connectors the card will squeal at boot. I tried to use 2 6 pins on a 6970, had to upgrade the PSU

You need to disable automatic restart on error for Win 7 - this way you can blue screen the computer and get a little more information on whats going on. If I remember correctly you can do this by F8ing during boot and select the option. A blue screen is better then no information, at least you can start there.

You need to disable automatic restart on error for Win 7 - this way you can blue screen the computer and get a little more information on whats going on. If I remember correctly you can do this by F8ing during boot and select the option. A blue screen is better then no information, at least you can start there.

Even while pressing F8, the computer reboots before that menu comes up.

well, either it is your psu or the video card. if you can get a spare psu to test it may help. or if you have another computer you can use to test the card, try that. otherwise rma the card. I don't think there are any circumstances where it should ever reboot the computer before windows even loads.

Updating my motherboard bios fixed the problem. Flashing to 6970 went flawless as well afterwards.

Back