6800 or 6800XT?

paco

Gawd
That's the question, which do I get? For now it'll still be 1080p gaming, but I expect to buy a new monitor soon. I'll probably stick with 1440p, but may go 4k. Plan to play Starfield first once I have something. Is the XT worth an extra $100?

Rig it's going in.
AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5
G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400

Just built a new rig for friend for exactly the same reason only difference is resolution as he wants 1080P ultra for starfield. The gpu I put in is an RX6750XT but all other main components are the same. The system runs 1080P ultra except shadow quality at high for 60 FPS 95% of the time. I think the XT would be the better choice as starfield is quite taxing with ultra settings and I had to really tune(cpu/gpu) in his system in every way I could to deliver the experience he wants. BTW that board has a bios bug with the F7 bios regarding curve optimizer not saving the offset for all core negative offsets. Tried per core offsets as a workaround and core #5 refused to retain it's offset. Updated to F8 and it exhibited the same behavior until I applied the offset via per core and it finally saved as all core. Strange I know but it works as intended now.

Last edited:
xt, its a decent bump up from the non xt. also, make sure youve got 750w psu min. looks like youve got 850w.

1700774726257.png

1700774755045.png

Just built a new rig for friend for exactly the same reason only difference is resolution as he wants 1080P ultra for starfield. The gpu I put in is an RX6750XT but all other main components are the same. The system runs 1080P ultra except shadow quality at high for 60 FPS 95% of the time. I think the XT would be the better choice as starfield is quite taxing with ultra settings and I had to really tune(cpu/gpu) in his system in every way I could to deliver the experience he wants. BTW that board has a bios bug with the F7 bios regarding curve optimizer not saving the offset for all core negative offsets. Tried per core offsets as a workaround and core #5 refused to retain it's offset. Updated to F8 and it exhibited the same behavior until I applied the offset via per core and it finally saved as all core. Strange I know but it works as intended now.
I'm going to have to learn what a lot of that means! But thanks for the info!

It's worth the extra $100 for the XT model especially if you decide to up your resolution to 1440p or higher. While they both at a glance seem to be close in that they have 16GB VRAM on a 256bit bus the differences are very far apart when you look at what was cut out from the RX 6800 vanilla. The meaningful differences are as follows.....

RX 6800.........................vs.........................RX 6800XT
3840 shaders..............................................4608 shaders
60 RT cores.................................................72 RT cores
96 ROPs......................................................128 ROPs
240 TMUs....................................................288 TMUs
13.9 TFLOPs...............................................18.6 TFLOPs

On amazon
6800xt - $469.99
6800 - $369.99

I've got the xt in my cart along with a LG 27GP850-B monitor. Will be $812.33 after tax for me. Just have to press the button!
I'd get a 7800 XT for ~ $500 - $520 and sell the Avatar game code.

Less power usage, newer architecture (which is generally a bit faster) and new features.

If you qualify, you can also do 11% off with Zippay, at Newegg.

I'd get a 7800 XT for ~ $500 - $520 and sell the Avatar game code.

Less power usage, newer architecture (which is generally a bit faster) and new features.

If you qualify, you can also do 11% off with Zippay, at Newegg.
Thanks. Didn't realize the 7800xt was that close in price.

On amazon
6800xt - $469.99
6800 - $369.99

I've got the xt in my cart along with a LG 27GP850-B monitor. Will be $812.33 after tax for me. Just have to press the button!
I would just get a used one.

Thoughts on the Power Color Hellhound? A little more (but less than Merc) but you get Avatar with it. You don't get that on the Qick.
Better to get a current gen 7000 series anyway - if going previous gen these days - it's better, imho, to get a used card and save some money. I haven't read too much on the 7000 series below the 7900 - but, I think most of the cards are pretty good - the Sapphire and Powercolor cards appear to be pretty good. There is some speculation that the 7800 XT doesn't eclipse 6800 XT performance all the time - meaning it will match, at best - which seems pretty bad to me. But, guys here probably know more about that than I do.

For gaming, they're good enough.

I would just get a used one.

Better to get a current gen 7000 series anyway - if going previous gen these days - it's better, imho, to get a used card and save some money. I haven't read too much on the 7000 series below the 7900 - but, I think most of the cards are pretty good - the Sapphire and Powercolor cards appear to be pretty good. There is some speculation that the 7800 XT doesn't eclipse 6800 XT performance all the time - meaning it will match, at best - which seems pretty bad to me. But, guys here probably know more about that than I do.

For gaming, they're good enough.
This is probably the first time I've ever spent more than $125 on a card! Have been a regular purchaser of used here for 20 years. Finally said screw it and spent some real money on myself. Not top of the line, but it's going to do what I want, and better than I've ever had before.

As always, appreciate all the input from [H].

Hey no shame in treating yourself once in a while. Enjoy the new build and everything it'll do for you.

Thanks. Didn't realize the 7800xt was that close in price.

I also did some sleuthing myself. The differences between MERC/QICK/SWFT are that marketing would have you believe that is in order of best to basic; in reality they are all basically the same except whether or not there are side lighting (cosmetic). I guess you've got to check clock speed of whatever model too.

I had 6800xt Merc for a minute - it looked and felt really nice in hand but for whatever reason it did not get along with my rig - it ran hotter and louder than I thought it would. Hopefully the 7 series is better, really contemplating trying again.

It's worth the extra $100 for the XT model especially if you decide to up your resolution to 1440p or higher. While they both at a glance seem to be close in that they have 16GB VRAM on a 256bit bus the differences are very far apart when you look at what was cut out from the RX 6800 vanilla. The meaningful differences are as follows.....

RX 6800.........................vs.........................RX 6800XT
3840 shaders..............................................4608 shaders
60 RT cores.................................................72 RT cores
96 ROPs......................................................128 ROPs
240 TMUs....................................................288 TMUs
13.9 TFLOPs...............................................18.6 TFLOPs

Regular 6800 can handle 1440p without a hiccup.. but yeah... 6800XT is a one damn good value right now

I just bought a 6800. Non-XT. I was going to go 6700xt (yes, SEVEN). The price difference was about $20, so 6800 it was. This is a filler card for 1440 gaming.

Back