6700 XT to a 7900 XT?

Finally found the solution to my video issue. Still disappointing though.

A couple weeks ago I dismantled my server and my spare rigs. In the end, all I really did was swap their motherboards. Now my server has the B550 board for its 3900X CPU and 6700XT GPU. The spare has the B450 board for its 2700X and 5700XT. I wasn't sure if that would fix the problem but at least the better CPU/GPU now have the better mobo as well.

The persistent issue I was having is that, after replacing the 5700XT in the server with the 6700XT, the monitor would not come on during boot up. It would finally come on once Windows was loaded up. I continued searching for a solution and finally found it. I had to swap out the DisplayPort cable for an HDMI cable. The stuff I was reading, in a nutshell, is that some of the newest AMD cards are having handshake problems with their DisplayPorts. One solution was to keep unplugging and plugging back in the DP cable to/from the video card to force the handshake. The other solution was to change out the cables to an HDMI, which is what I did and now my monitor comes on during boot up. Sure, I fixed the problem I was having but it's kinda lame the DP doesn't work properly.

A couple weeks ago I dismantled my server and my spare rigs. In the end, all I really did was swap their motherboards. Now my server has the B550 board for its 3900X CPU and 6700XT GPU. The spare has the B450 board for its 2700X and 5700XT. I wasn't sure if that would fix the problem but at least the better CPU/GPU now have the better mobo as well.

The persistent issue I was having is that, after replacing the 5700XT in the server with the 6700XT, the monitor would not come on during boot up. It would finally come on once Windows was loaded up. I continued searching for a solution and finally found it. I had to swap out the DisplayPort cable for an HDMI cable. The stuff I was reading, in a nutshell, is that some of the newest AMD cards are having handshake problems with their DisplayPorts. One solution was to keep unplugging and plugging back in the DP cable to/from the video card to force the handshake. The other solution was to change out the cables to an HDMI, which is what I did and now my monitor comes on during boot up. Sure, I fixed the problem I was having but it's kinda lame the DP doesn't work properly.
Might work with a different brand displayport cable.

Happens with Nvidia too, like my 4K monitor I can't get into the BIOS with DP and have to switch to HDMI or the monitor refuses to come on until Windows is loaded.

I game at 1440p and currently have a 5900X paired with an RX 6700 XT. I have been thinking recently of upgrading to an RX 7900 XT (not the XTX).

1) are the 6700 XT and the 7900 XT far enough apart to make an upgrade worth it?
2) would my 5900X bottleneck the 7900 XT? (I googled and found mixed reviews, some say it will bottleneck and some say they go great together)
Yes you will know the difference immediately. Get one with a good cooler on it TBP is about 350watts+.

Back