6700 XT to a 7900 XT?

McClintoc

Fully [H]
I game at 1440p and currently have a 5900X paired with an RX 6700 XT. I have been thinking recently of upgrading to an RX 7900 XT (not the XTX).

1) are the 6700 XT and the 7900 XT far enough apart to make an upgrade worth it?
2) would my 5900X bottleneck the 7900 XT? (I googled and found mixed reviews, some say it will bottleneck and some say they go great together)

1) Yeah, it would be a good upgrade. 7900XT is like >75% faster than a 6700XT depending on the game and settings

2) It depends on what framerates you're trying to achieve, and what games you play. I'm using a 7900XT with a 5950X and it's fine, but I'm at 60fps.

I game at 1440p and currently have a 5900X paired with an RX 6700 XT. I have been thinking recently of upgrading to an RX 7900 XT (not the XTX).

1) are the 6700 XT and the 7900 XT far enough apart to make an upgrade worth it?
2) would my 5900X bottleneck the 7900 XT? (I googled and found mixed reviews, some say it will bottleneck and some say they go great together)
Yes they are far enough apart. Bottlenecking would depend on the game. Is it a silly unheard of combination? Not at all. They will pair fine and probably go good when you do upgrade your CPU/MB

The 7900XT is massively faster than the 6700XT. I doubt there would be any CPU bottleneck issue, my 5700X and feed my 7900XTX with no problems. It only starts to drop GPU usage when I put the 4090 on it and run RT (at 1440p/4K).

I am mainly just after the most FPS I can get. Ever since I've had my 27" 1440p/144hz monitor, I've struggled to get anywhere near 144 FPS. I first had an RX 590 Fatboy followed by an RX 5700 XT. Those both struggled to drive my monitor. The RX 6700 XT I have now is the first card that gets close to 144 FPS in some games. I am hoping the RX 7900 XT will do even better.

And I did thing about the future. If I get the RX 7900 XT now, I will keep it whenever I decided to upgrade to the next gen mobo/cpu combo. My current board is an x570 so I'm guessing x670?

Just did a similar upgrade, 3060 Ti to RX 7900 XT, and it basically doubled my framerate across the board. If you consider the AMD FMF preview driver, then it quadrupled my framerate.
1696351112970.png

Last edited:
I am mainly just after the most FPS I can get. Ever since I've had my 27" 1440p/144hz monitor, I've struggled to get anywhere near 144 FPS. I first had an RX 590 Fatboy followed by an RX 5700 XT. Those both struggled to drive my monitor. The RX 6700 XT I have now is the first card that gets close to 144 FPS in some games. I am hoping the RX 7900 XT will do even better.

And I did thing about the future. If I get the RX 7900 XT now, I will keep it whenever I decided to upgrade to the next gen mobo/cpu combo. My current board is an x570 so I'm guessing x670?

The 7900XT is more than twice as fast as the 6700XT. Just double your fps for a ballpark estimate of performance.

I went ahead an ordered it. It's an XFX Speedster MERC 310 RX 7900 XT Black Edition. The 6700 XT I have now is an XFX QICK 319 and I have been happy with it overall. I used to be a Sapphire guy but after my last two Sapphires needed to be RMA'd (both within their first year of use) I'm really liking XFX. The 6700 XT I have now is almost two years old with no issues.

I went ahead an ordered it. It's an XFX Speedster MERC 310 RX 7900 XT Black Edition. The 6700 XT I have now is an XFX QICK 319 and I have been happy with it overall. I used to be a Sapphire guy but after my last two Sapphires needed to be RMA'd (both within their first year of use) I'm really liking XFX. The 6700 XT I have now is almost two years old with no issues.

The XFX cards are huge and beefy, you'll be impressed with it but make sure you have the space because these things aren't small, also be prepared to have to turn up the case fans a little because its going to be dumping 300W+ of heat in the case. I actually have that XFX 6700XT myself, its a good little card but coil whines like crazy.

Yeah Ive been super happy with my XFX 6900XT black, no problems and runs super cool. When I do upgrade cards again, I plan to get another one from XFX.

I have a huge case and coil whine never bothered me. I play games at max volume with headphones so I don't hear the fans in my rig.

I know someone looking for a 6700xt if ya no longer have a use for it.

I'm gonna keep the 6700; use it for folding. I'll bump the 6700 down to my server and bump the 5700 down to my spare rig. That will put my RX 590 Fatboy up for grabs.

Should be a huge upgrade and I'm not sure you would see any noticeable bottlenecks, also not sure it matters considering the huge upgrade in performance you'd get.

I have a 7900xtx and for 1440 it was a huge upgrade. Def a great decision. I upgraded from a 6700xt ftw. My cpu is a Ryzen 7 7700x

Upgraded from a 6700xt to a 7900xtx and it was definitely worth it. I run 4k with mine.

I had an issue with my corsair h1000i not being able to keep it stable but a spare fractal design 850w I had solved it.

I highly recommend a gpu support to get rid of the sag and eliminate the twisting forces on the surface mount components of the pcb to promote longevity. The coolers on these cards are beastly.

Yes, I do too. My 7900XTX sags a bit, I use this one. Its cheap, magnetic, and works great.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I highly recommend a gpu support to get rid of the sag and eliminate the twisting forces on the surface mount components of the pcb to promote longevity. The coolers on these cards are beastly.

Yeah, this one sags more than any previous card. Based on what LigTasm linked above, I can make a little rod to hold up the card.

And as for the cooler on the 7900 XT, I played some New World last night for about two hours. Card never got above 67C, which is about 10 degrees cooler than the 6700 XT.

I was gonna say the same thing. I saw those cards saggin' in both pics, made me wince. They need some support.

Yeah, this one sags more than any previous card.
Judging by the pic of your previous card while it was installed, shit still sags a bit too much for my liking.

I can make a little rod to hold up the card
One of my friends is propping up his card using Lego towers, haha!

Ditto. I was about to say every 7900 XT I've seen so far included a support bracket. So I checked the XFX 7900 XT 310 MERC and there should already be one in the box:

1696862368226.png

I was gonna say the same thing. I saw those cards saggin' in both pics, made me wince. They need some support.

Judging by the pic of your previous card while it was installed, shit still sags a bit too much for my liking.

One of my friends is propping up his card using Lego towers, haha!
Legos work.

I'm propping up an MSI horizontal bracket with legos.

Hey everyone, I am needing some more help.

After putting the 7900 XT into my gaming rig, the 6700 XT is going into my "server". Currently, my server has a 5700 XT in it and that will be getting bumped down to my spare PC which currently has an RX590 Fatboy in it. Anyways, I put the 6700 XT into the server and it will turn on/boot up, except the video card; there is no video signal to the monitor. Here is the current rundown:

• I updated the BIOS to the latest BIOS file (mobo is an MSI B450 Tomahawk)
  • I updated the mobo chipset to the latest drivers
  • CPU is a Ryzen 3900X
  • PSU is an 850w Corsair (AMD's website says 650w minimum for a 6700 XT)

What am I missing here?

Hey everyone, I am needing some more help.

After putting the 7900 XT into my gaming rig, the 6700 XT is going into my "server". Currently, my server has a 5700 XT in it and that will be getting bumped down to my spare PC which currently has an RX590 Fatboy in it. Anyways, I put the 6700 XT into the server and it will turn on/boot up, except the video card; there is no video signal to the monitor. Here is the current rundown:

• I updated the BIOS to the latest BIOS file (mobo is an MSI B450 Tomahawk)
  • I updated the mobo chipset to the latest drivers
  • CPU is a Ryzen 3900X
  • PSU is an 850w Corsair (AMD's website says 650w minimum for a 6700 XT)

What am I missing here?
Did you already throw it back in the other PC to make sure it didn't get damaged on removal?

Did you already throw it back in the other PC to make sure it didn't get damaged on removal?

Looks like I'll have to do this. I found a thread saying I needed to change the PCI-E lane setting in BIOS from AUTO to GEN3. I did that and still no video signal.

Looks like I'll have to do this. I found a thread saying I needed to change the PCI-E lane setting in BIOS from AUTO to GEN3. I did that and still no video signal.
I had a similar issue when going from a 3090 to a 4090. Setting bios to default settings worked for me. I then booted into safe mode, uninstalled drivers with DDU, and then rebooted. Installed new drivers and viola, good to go.

That's a pretty useless suggestion, since it's highly likely your board defaults to Gen3. No harm in trying I guess.

It was set to auto. I changed it to gen3 and still nothing.
When you get around to swapping back the cards if they both still work in their original config I'd try mizzer's suggestion, it would be nice if it was just a weird driver issue.

I was about to make this suggestion, had a similar problem with my B550 board, but I'm using a Phanteks PCIe gen 3 riser. No video when set to auto, but manually set to gen 3 and it's been solid ever since.

Check the seating of the card - connections etc. - first? Would a driver prob result in no picture at all? I agree, though - whenever there's a display problem - I look at driver issue too especially when switch gpus.

But, I have an unrelated question if I may?: I was looking at sites that show 'performance' between graphics cards at the various resolutions. E.g. Techpowerup TPU - shows relative performance at the resolutions e.g. 4k - would it be accurate to say, one should try to get a card that is at least - at 100%? Min. 99%?
E.g. Sapphire Pulse 7900 XT - there weren't too many benchmarks with the 7900 XT cards:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-7900-xt-pulse/31.html

The 7900 XT/XTX, 4080 and 4090 cards were the only ones at 100% or above. The 3090 Ti and MBA 7900 XT were at borderline 99%.

I just pulled the 7900 out of the gaming rig and put the 6700 back in there. It still works; the 6700 is not dead. And for shits and giggles, I put the 7900 into the server and still no video to the monitor. So, the issue is definitely the server's B450 board trying to run newer cards.

I had a similar issue when going from a 3090 to a 4090. Setting bios to default settings worked for me. I then booted into safe mode, uninstalled drivers with DDU, and then rebooted. Installed new drivers and viola, good to go.
tried this ^^ yet?

Definitely a decent upgrade. 5900X's fine for resolution above 2560x1600 barrier, if you game below that 7800X3D/7950X3D is needed to get the most out of 7900 XTX.

Back