5Ghz Vishera pops up again.

That just references the exact same swe article linked in the first post of this thread

Me too. I'm hoping it's 5 GHz, 140 watts and around $250. Gotta feeling I'm gonna be disappointed though but I'm still gonna hope.

I hope the 5.0ghz is true, but the 220w is not.

As I mentioned in another thread, the original Bulldozer chips pulled ~600w+ at those speeds. Makes me wonder how much OC potential these will have, 220w doesn't sound like they're upping the voltage a whole lot to reach 5GHz.

Steamroller could be a real beast next year if it's IPC/wattage improvements are similar to Vishera. I want a 6GHz CPU. :D

600 watts at 5 GHz?!?! Not calling BS on you but that sounds a little much or are you talking about total system draw? Are there reviews or something that shows that?

Hell, my c2 125w TDP Phenom II pulls around 180 watts with all four cores unlocked and running at 3.6Ghz with the cpuNB overclocked. 220 watts from a 5 Ghz clock speed doesn't seem that bad in comparison :D

600 watts at 5 GHz?!?! Not calling BS on you but that sounds a little much or are you talking about total system draw? Are there reviews or something that shows that?

System. The HardOCP review says that 4.6 GHz, (I'm assuming 1.45v) increased loaded power draw by 200w over stock. You usually needed ~1.55v to hit 5GHz with the 8150s, the power draw was crazy. To get 4.8-5GHz @ 220w is a big improvement.

Last edited:
Ok, I thought that might be the case. Still you're right that the 8150 sucks down a lot of juice.

As for the 220 TDP rating, isn't that the a measurement of heat and not a measurement of how much wattage it'll draw?

i will be buying a top psu and hopefully this chip, and sticking it under my H60 with Gentle Typhoon 1850 push pull

question is, i have an matx motherboard, Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3... will it possibly work???? :X

I would hope manufacturers would state exactly what motherboards would safely work with this CPU.

i will be buying a top psu and hopefully this chip, and sticking it under my H60 with Gentle Typhoon 1850 push pull

question is, i have an matx motherboard, Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3... will it possibly work???? :X

If the chip is 220W, you can forget it. It will take more than 4+1 phase motherboard to run that thing, that's for sure. I doubt if the cheaper 8+2 phase will make it either. Consider that for example the Gigabyte 990FX UD3 is notorious for throttling already with slight overclock of FX-8350. How will it be able to handle 220W chip?

Probably only the elite motherboards out there will be able to marginally run the CPU properly.

Nope. You will need a new motherboard, like the ud5 or sabertooth (for example) to pull that off.
If the chip is 220W, you can forget it. It will take more than 4+1 phase motherboard to run that thing, that's for sure. I doubt if the cheaper 8+2 phase will make it either. Consider that for example the Gigabyte 990FX UD3 is notorious for throttling already with slight overclock of FX-8350. How will it be able to handle 220W chip?

Probably only the elite motherboards out there will be able to marginally run the CPU properly.
Hmm that's odd. Maybe that was with the older ud3's. My friend runs his 8350 at 5.0 on the ud3, with no issues.

i also have a fan directly blowing onto my vrm area :eek: so the 4+1 phase of the motherboard, regardless the quality of power supply, is not good enough to power an fx-9000? :((

i also have a fan directly blowing onto my vrm area :eek: so the 4+1 phase of the motherboard, regardless the quality of power supply, is not good enough to power an fx-9000? :((

If it has the 220W TDP, i don't think any 4+1 can make it, even worse for mATX. To put it in another way. How many 4+1 boards have you seen in fora that their users claim to have 8350s that reached 5Ghz with them?

For my board, which is 4+1 and heatsinked, i 've read it throtlles usually before reaching 4.6.

This looks more legit than simple rumors, reminds me of the Athlon Thoroughbred/Barton days when AMD Had much better performance results with latter yields of the same chip. Also notice the slide with Fx-8770....

T-Bred A & B and Barton were slightly different chips

I've never had a problem with my UD3 at 4.6 with the 8120 or 4.8-5 with the 8320. The CPU is water cooled but the mobo components all have the stock heatsinks. I have a Mountain Mods Ascension cube case loaded up with low-speed fans, but nothing blowing directly on the motherboard.

I wonder if people are thinking the board is throttling because they haven't turned off APM management? That tries to keep the CPU power consumption within spec, meaning it'll throttle at mild overclocks. I remember back when bulldozer first launched Gigabyte and several other manufacturers had to release additional BIOS updates to add the option to turn it off.

I've never had a problem with my UD3 at 4.6 with the 8120 or 4.8-5 with the 8320. The CPU is water cooled but the mobo components all have the stock heatsinks. I have a Mountain Mods Ascension cube case loaded up with low-speed fans, but nothing blowing directly on the motherboard.

I wonder if people are thinking the board is throttling because they haven't turned off APM management? That tries to keep the CPU power consumption within spec, meaning it'll throttle at mild overclocks. I remember back when bulldozer first launched Gigabyte and several other manufacturers had to release additional BIOS updates to add the option to turn it off.

do all amd boards have apm management? or is it only on higher quality boards like the 970/990

i have a gigabyte 78lmt-us3.. i would check bios but am in the middle of stability testing my overclocks :p

do all amd boards have apm management? or is it only on higher quality boards like the 970/990

i have a gigabyte 78lmt-us3.. i would check bios but am in the middle of stability testing my overclocks :p

I don't know. On my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 it's an option called 'A.P.M. Master Mode' under Advanced Bios options (not the overclocking options). Look at the CPU speed in AMD Overdrive or CPU-z while the CPU is under 100% load. APM will cause it to randomly jump back and forth between a lower frequency and your overclock under full load. You can leave other power-saving features like Cool and Quiet on, C&Q only drops the frequency when the CPU is idle.

I don't know, i 've read that thread only partialy (it's too big). From what i figured out, there is a general overheating problem. The best revision, seems to be 1.1. It allows high OC, but at the price of VRM overheating (see the 100C guy). Other revisions, seem to throttle earlier. Some have the board warping from heat, separating the mofsets from the heatsinks. The next 3 pages are good summary:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1023100/official-gigabyte-ga-990fxa-series-owners-thread-club/5640

I 've never had Gigabyte board, so i don't know how obvious of an option this APM is... But since that thread has 588 pages, it seems a bit unlikely that none of them had the idea to play with that setting...

Last edited:

No way.

At 4.6 and above, my M5A99FX (6+2 phase) will eventually throttle running Prime, seemingly due to the socket temp hitting >70C (while the core temp hovers around 50C). This is with a custom loop, excellent case cooling, a 120mm fan blowing over the socket/VRM area, and non-insane vcore. Kill-a-watt says ~350W @ 4.6 GHz running Prime. My guess is a lot of the 990FX boards won't be cut out for these new chips, let alone older 4+1 boards.

No chance. Take a look at the supported cpu list on the Gigabyte website. The 140W Phenom II 965 is not listed. How do you expect it to support a 220W cpu?

I know about APM, but the problem in shutting off APM is that then Turbo is disabled. For example say you wanted to eliminate throttling at stock. Sure you can disable APM, but you lose performance because you lose the higher Turbo clock speeds. Now you have to overclock all cores to get the performance back, but overclocking all cores increases power consumption. See here for an example from Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bulldozer-efficiency-overclock-undervolt,3083-14.html
Look at the system peak power. 238 watts with a peak turbo speed of 4.6. Overclock all cores to 4.5 and peak power consumption is 323 watts.

I know about APM, but the problem in shutting off APM is that then Turbo is disabled. For example say you wanted to eliminate throttling at stock. Sure you can disable APM, but you lose performance because you lose the higher Turbo clock speeds. Now you have to overclock all cores to get the performance back, but overclocking all cores increases power consumption. See here for an example from Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bulldozer-efficiency-overclock-undervolt,3083-14.html
Look at the system peak power. 238 watts with a peak turbo speed of 4.6. Overclock all cores to 4.5 and peak power consumption is 323 watts.

In my experience turbo mode just creates instability when used beyond stock speeds anyway, though maybe things are different with Vishera and newer BIOS versions, I haven't experimented with Turbo since my early days with the 8120. 4.8GHz @ 1.45v is totally stable for me with Turbo/APM off and the heat isn't a problem for my water cooling setup.

I didn't buy these chips for their power efficiency. :)

I pay for my hydro and could care less about power usage. I have my FX-6100 at 4.2 Ghz and have 2 GTX 260's which are overclocked. I can't wait to see these 220 watt CPUs in my store.

Giving it some more thought i can see the following happening. The Centurion is released say summer or shortly after.

Then next year AMD releases the Steamroller but it will turn out to be slower then the FX-9000 that would somehow not work out well. Steamroller will be on 28nm also . Wondering if the Kaveri chip early placement into the 2nd half of this year is also a reason for AMD to circumvent problems to allow the AM3+ Steamroller to function without the same problems as Bulldozer (where the 32nm process had such bad influence).

Well supposedly the FX-9000 will still just be Piledriver, just clocked high out the box and possibly able to have a nice OC potential. Going off that, those chips will be geared towards the OC and AMD enthusiast crowd. Steamroller will smoke Piledriver due to the many architectural improvements, namely how every module will have independent integer decoders for each core, which will remove the performance penalty when both cores of a module are under full load, and the shortening of various floating point pipelines, which will grant huge boosts to single-threaded IPC. These enhancements, as well as efficiency gains, will possibly allow for decent overclocks while simultaneously having much better PPW than Pildedriver.

We'll get a rough idea of the architectural benefits whenever Kaveri rolls around later this year. Kaveri launching before the FX Steamroller is normal, they did the same thing with Trinity and Vishera; the Trinity APU's came out before the Vishera chips did.

I cant wait for steamroller: I feel it is the architecture Bulldozer was meant to be. PD is good, in fact wonderful in multithread, but I want better gaming performance; I'm tired of getting outpaced by an i3 in most games.

Back