4870 installed and system wont boot past motherboard screen

daveloft

n00b
I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU with an Intel DG33TL motherboard and a Silverstone Strider 600W ST60F PSU. I got a new BFG GTX 285 for my Core i7 920 machine and wanted to install my Saphire Radeon 4870 1GB graphics card that was working with the i7 machine in the Core 2 Quad machine.

When I turn it on it sits at the Intel motherboard screen and never continues to boot. It says to hit F2 to enter BIOS, but hitting F2 does nothing. Taking the graphics card out and using the onboard Video will allow it to boot like normal.

I will install the card in my i7 machine to test it to see if that's the problem. But I have a feeling the PSU might be the problem. Although 600W should be enough. It is rated to do up to 42A combined from the four 12 volt rails. I have 2 fans, 2 hard drives, 1 optical drive and 4 sticks of RAM in the system.

I seem to have really bad luck with computers. Any suggestions.

Yeah the video card works fine back in my Ci7 build. So either my motherboard or PSU in my C2Q build does not like my 4870 or I screwed something up.

Even though I would think that is enough power it sounds like you may need a different power supply if the card is working in another machine. Try and get your hands on a different psu to test it out if you can before buying another.

I switched out my my PSU with the one from my Ci7 build, a 625 Enermax Mod82+ and it still did the same thing. It looks like it may be the motherboard or more specifically the single PCI-E x16 slot. I don't have another board to test it. I will probably pick up a new one tomorrow unless anyone has any other ideas?

With that graphics card installed I cant even get into the bios to change settings. My next step will be to update the bios, just downloaded it now. Thanks everyone for your input, I will keep you posted on how it's going.

I updated the BIOS and I thought it wasn't working. I waited 20 minutes and rebooted, but the monitor never detected a signal. But than I heard the windows chimes, so it was partially working. I unplugged the onboard DVI and used VGA and the display came to life. I turned it off and installed the 4870, booted it up and nothing showed up on screen. I connected the VGA cable to the onboard and it was still working. I went into the BIOS and chose the PCI-E graphics option rebooted and the card started outputting video. It got to the motherboard F2 screen, it paused for a second .... than continued to boot. Everything is working perfectly now :) Thanks again everyone.

yeah. i had the exact same problem like 10 minutes ago with an 8600gts. all you had to do was use the onboard and enable PCIex slot in bios for GPU. then reboot it should work. also be sure to uninstall drivers next time before you switch fromonboard to dedicated.

Back