4080 Super: New Owners Thread - Share your experience!

vjhawk

Limp Gawd
So the 4080 Super went on sale today. I tried to buy the founders edition from Best Buy but it was instantly sold out.

So I settled for the MSI 4080 Super from Best Buy instead and got a confirmed receipt for purchase.

1706711508344.png

I hopped on Newegg to see if I could snag the ASUS TUF 4080 Super model for $999 MSRP but as soon as I got to checkout it told me that it was out of stock. This "out of stock" message happened for other MSRP models as well.

Then when I went to the Nvidia website to try to get an FE here's the message that I got:

1706711338549.png

So I think I will settle for the MSI model instead. I doubt they have 4,231 4080 Supers left over in stock. LOL.

So did anyone else take the plunge for a 4080 Super today? How was your experience and what model did you end up getting?

I decided to pull the trigger and went with my preferred GPU AIB- ASUS...I got the ASUS TUF OC Gaming Edition...the TUF cards are always highly regarded and perform well...the STRIX is even better but I don't think it's worth the price premium...I went with the OC version as I hear it's better binned than the standard TUF version

I tried to get the Founders Edition from the Nvidia website but it kept crashing after I put it in my cart

Congrats on getting a Founder's Edition.

I just got informed that Nvidia website is now out of stock on FE. So I'm glad that I put in the MSI order and at least secured a video card.

1706712640531.png

RIP the dream of an FE. But I can live with getting similar performance.

At least the MSI has a fairly conservative color scheme which should work in my case. Gray and Black.

1706712867929.png

I just got informed that Nvidia website is now out of stock on FE. So I'm glad that I put in the MSI order and at least secured a video card

Best Buy also sells the Founders Editions and they usually stagger their shipments so I think people should be able to get one...I don't see these cards as being major sellers

Best Buy also sells the Founders Editions and they usually stagger their shipments so I think people should be able to get one...I don't see these cards as being major sellers
The main problem with finding an FE on Best Buy is that the botters snap up the Founders Edition and throw them on Ebay for marked up prices.

1706714946586.png

I was refreshing the Bestbuy page all this morning and it went instantly from coming soon to sold out.

It's an unfortunate world we live in but you can't outsnipe the botters.

Maybe when they find out these cards don't sell at the inflated prices a few weeks from now some of us normal people who actually want to buy these cards to actually USE instead of FLIP for a profit will stand a chance.

So for now I'll just look forward to the MSI version that I managed to secure the order.

For FE, your best chance is probably the Nvidia website if they get more in stock later as well but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Word was already out that the Super supply in general was going to be light and most retailers don't know how much restock they will get.

Anyways for those still trying to get a 4080 Super, try Microcenter if there's one within driving distance.

Some of the non-MSRP models at Newegg might also be still available but all the MSRP ones were "out of stock" once I proceeded to checkout.

The main problem with finding an FE on Best Buy is that the botters snap up the Founders Edition and throw them on Ebay for marked up prices.

View attachment 631712

I was refreshing the Bestbuy page all this morning and it went instantly from coming soon to sold out.

It's an unfortunate world we live in but you can't outsnipe the botters.

Maybe when they find out these cards don't sell at the inflated prices a few weeks from now some of us normal people who actually want to buy these cards to actually USE instead of FLIP for a profit will stand a chance.

So for now I'll just look forward to the MSI version that I managed to secure the order.

For FE, your best chance is probably the Nvidia website if they get more in stock later as well but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Word was already out that the Super supply in general was going to be light and most retailers don't know how much restock they will get.

Anyways for those still trying to get a 4080 Super, try Microcenter if there's one within driving distance.

Some of the non-MSRP models at Newegg might also be still available but all the MSRP ones were "out of stock" once I proceeded to checkout.
No fool would pay scalper prices for this perf over non super cards.
According to the TPU reviews
  • Almost no performance increase over RTX 4080 non-Super
  • $100 more expensive than MSRP
  • Smaller manual power limit adjustment range than FE
  • No DisplayPort 2.0 support

Idk what is wrong with me. Paid $1069(nice) after tax

I did you one better...I paid for the slighly more expensive OC (overclocked) version from ASUS and paid an extra $100...I had the choice between the standard TUF version for the retail price of $999.99 but went with the TUF OC $1099.99 version so I can eke out a few more frames and get closer to the 4090

I did you one better...I paid for the slighly more expensive OC (overclocked) version from ASUS and paid an extra $100...I had the choice between the standard TUF version for the retail price of $999.99 but went with the TUF OC $1099.99 version so I can eke out a few more frames and get closer to the 4090
I wanted the standard tuf but they sold out before I got there. They had like 10 of the OC one.

No fool would pay scalper prices for this perf over non super cards.
According to the TPU reviews
  • Almost no performance increase over RTX 4080 non-Super
  • $100 more expensive than MSRP
  • Smaller manual power limit adjustment range than FE
  • No DisplayPort 2.0 support
Actually looking at thosse photos they are listed at $319, $348, and $250 over MSRP.

So yes a buyer would be foolish to buy one of those but it doesn't change the fact that the scalpers HOOVERED up all the 4080 Super FEs that launched on Best Buy's website in the blink of an eye using their automated bots.

You would think with all the shenanigans of the mining market craze times, that Best Buy would have implemented better anti-bot measures to at least TRY to ensure that humans had a chance to buy these.

But nope their website is still FULLY exploitable by bot purchases as evidenced by this launch.

I'm hoping that Nvidia's anti-scalper measures were better, because at least it appeared that 2500 some 4080 Supers were sold in front of me. I sadly was too late at place 3000 something in the line.

But that's life. I don't bot my video card purchases nor do I think it's fair to use such measures to take away items from other actual end users.

Off topic:

...10 years from now....

pmahomes wrote:
I got the Nvidia 7080 XTXTX Super for $4,987.60 after tax.

dakarooney said:
That's nothing, I got mine shipped for $4,916.32 it's the enhanced AI version and after I returned the requisite pallet, that was another $50 off!! Yep, paid less than $4,900 complete! Getting over 30fps in Starfield III at 1440p Ultra with Super Trace enabled.

linustt replied:

I saw one at 40thieves.com for like $3999.21, but I think it's fake. Skip...

Checked in with my 13 year old son after I snuck that 4080 Super TUF in is rig (instead of his RTX 4090 that he had previously) - he did not notice anything better or worse. Win win. Performance-wise it's like 20% less - so not a crazy amount that a lay person would take notice of.

Actually looking at thosse photos they are listed at $319, $348, and $250 over MSRP.

So yes a buyer would be foolish to buy one of those but it doesn't change the fact that the scalpers HOOVERED up all the 4080 Super FEs that launched on Best Buy's website in the blink of an eye using their automated bots.

You would think with all the shenanigans of the mining market craze times, that Best Buy would have implemented better anti-bot measures to at least TRY to ensure that humans had a chance to buy these.

But nope their website is still FULLY exploitable by bot purchases as evidenced by this launch.

I'm hoping that Nvidia's anti-scalper measures were better, because at least it appeared that 2500 some 4080 Supers were sold in front of me. I sadly was too late at place 3000 something in the line.

But that's life. I don't bot my video card purchases nor do I think it's fair to use such measures to take away items from other actual end users.
Or they just didn't have that many card avaliable to sell. I don't see scalpers targeting GPUs atm. There is just not much money there with a huge investment needed.

Or they just didn't have that many card avaliable to sell. I don't see scalpers targeting GPUs atm. There is just nit much money there with a huge investment needed.
Yeah, especially after 13% in ebay fees off of those amounts. Remember, they also paid tax on the msrp to boot.

my 4080 Super is only arriving next Tuesday (purchased from Newegg)...gives me a few days to decide if I want to do a complete system upgrade from my 5800X to a 7800X3D

I don't think they care. The money from a bot spends the same as a any other customer.
All they would be doing is playing a game of whack-a-mole. They would spend a bunch of time/money/resources on trying to be anti-bot, meanwhile the bot operators will work to circumvent anti-bot measures. In the end they either work to rid their site of bots continuously (which is continual overhead) or they just accept that the bots win and move on their lives. It's simple economics, they'd rather not spend time/money on the whack-a-mole game, which just makes them lose money continuously and isn't a permanent solution.

PS If you can't find a 4080 Super in the usual place, try looking for them at a nearby Micro Center. I still see they have stock at the one near me. So chances are you might still be able to order one for in store pickup.

Microcenter search link: https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=&cat=&Ntt=4080+super&searchButton=search
I know the FE is good and usually at MSRP but I really think Best Buy should be avoided. Nvidia should have partnered with Newegg or Amazon. Best Buy is absolutely horrible - their website is trash. Even when you try to use the Canadian one - it's awful. Also, they keep the lowest stock - so, shame on Nvidia and Best Buy for that scam job.
If you guys are wondering which brands to get and have a choice - look on Youtube - at 'O!Technology's' channel.
This is his video for 4080s:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGORmB6GoH8

Perhaps, he'll do an updated version for the 4080 Super, dunno - but, there's a lot of info in one place - as he collects the power limits info, noise info, temps - from various sources.... that's the source I used when researching 4080s.

I ended up ordering a 4080 Super so here was my experience while I wait for delivery.

Wednesday hop on BB at 9:00 AM and watch card instantly sell out. Hop in NVIDIA queue with thousands in front of me but let it sit.
A few minutes past 9:30 AM and still in NVIDIA Queue. Refresh BB and see they are in stock. Add to cart, verify text at 9:37 AM, get to check out screen with delivery Friday the 2nd or pickup Saturday the 3rd and get network error trying to check out. In the other thread someone mentioned switching to the mobile app worked for them, but saw this after the fact. As I am messing with BB, NVIDIA queue says it is my turn, and BB removes the card from my cart while trying to get them to process payment and switching from delivery to pickup even though it hasn't been more than 2 minutes. Checkout from NVIDIA at 9:41 AM.

Thursday 24 hours later and still nothing from NVIDIA and still processing. Check online and see they are usually slow to ship. Also seeing reports of people getting cancellation notices after successful orders on reddit. See BB has stock at 11:00 AM and I am able to order which now has a Tuesday 2/6 delivery or 2/7 pickup. NVIDIA still processing so request cancellation via my account and says they will try.

Friday BB generates a label, but waiting for UPS pickup while sending me alerts that UPS says the package will be delayed yet hasn't been picked up yet. NVIDIA at 9:00 AM sends me a notice package has shipped. They immediately send me return process also. Once package is picked up, NVIDIA shipment says due Monday and shipped via Fed Ex.

Sunday get alert package is out for delivery from Fed Ex and delivery guy knocks just as I am about to jump in the shower. Cat tries to assassinate me while I am running to grab the door since it says signature required. Open door to see driver is gone, but luckily left package on my porch.

Now I just have two more days for BB to deliver so I can return one while I sit with a GPU I can't open. I guess technically I could since it says they won't refund me if they don't get the box back. I don't know if they track serial numbers so don't want to open and try returning the BB to NVIDIA since I already have the RMA.

At this point as I keep installing random games I have a feeling I may need to move some to my second drive since I haven't tried to launch any and I know they always have additional downloads once launched.

my Asus TUF OC 4080 Super arrives on Wednesday...shipping from California (to NY)...why didn't Newegg stock any of their East coast warehouses with any 4080 Super stock?

my Asus TUF OC 4080 Super arrives on Wednesday...shipping from California (to NY)...why didn't Newegg stock any of their East coast warehouses with any 4080 Super stock?
You're ordering from likely the first batch of cards, which arrived from a ship on the west coast. They may not have had time to distribute inventory yet.

I don't think they care. The money from a bot spends the same as a any other customer.
I would imagine they care a little bit, just technically bot traffic on launch day could be heavy to handle and

1) Any customer inconvenience will be a concern
2) If you get a new customer because you were the only place that they could place an order, there is more chance than they buy from you again the next time their next item and if they change their display port cable-monitor-cpu-etc... with their new GPU (they are probably big frequent buyer if they are after a new hard to get GPU).

It is a mix of being very hard, many anti-bot feature will be an real user inconvenience like some online marketplace had a anti-bot CAPTCHA before letting you see popular item in the 2021 type era, maybe it works against some bots but it is a pain for the customer, specially if you make them hard for the bots.

Think how many physical businesses make a 1 per customer limit on new popular items, because it is relatively easy to somewhat do, it is because there is value to have many customer, for the gpu sales selling them all to the first guy in line would not only be the same amount of money spent on them by customer, but it would cost way less for best buy to do a single transaction, they want to build a returning customer base at the same time.

I finally got my new system togather and this MSI card has the worst coil whine I have ever heard. I have to take it back.

I did not build this system with a particular eye to esthetics, but that card... still manages to look out of place to me.
RIG05_R1.jpg

It, as expected, delivers double the performance of the 3070 Ti it replaced. But I really would have happily grabbed a dual slot 4080 S, even if it meant easing up on the clocks a bit. Though that probably wouldn't have been necessary; my average temp in Port Royal stress test was 65 °C.

I did not build this system with a particular eye to esthetics, but that card... still manages to look out of place to me.
View attachment 633462

It, as expected, delivers double the performance of the 3070 Ti it replaced. But I really would have happily grabbed a dual slot 4080 S, even if it meant easing up on the clocks a bit. Though that probably wouldn't have been necessary; my average temp in Port Royal stress test was 65 °C.
Looks fantastic to me *shrug*. What case is that? :)

Looks fantastic to me *shrug*. What case is that? :)
I have to admit, the card looks like it was designed recently while the rest of the system looks no different than boxes made over a decade ago.

Edit: Those fans especially look dated and unattractive.

I have to admit, the card looks like it was designed recently while the rest of the system looks no different than boxes made over a decade ago.

I like the older style stuff... I'm simple to please :D.

I mean, technically I own one. :D

I was able to snag a 4080 Super FE from Best Buy for store pickup this weekend. I'm currently using a 3080Ti that has been excellent, so I'm still unsure if I'll keep the 4080 or not. The FE is one sexy card.

Faulty 12V2x6 connector found with RTX 4080 Super card — it could be a one-off problem, but caution is advisable

Igor's Lab reports that at least one 12V2x6 adapter he received with an RTX 4080 Super third-party card was unable to lock in place, which could lead to serious power delivery issues with their host graphics cards...thankfully, the issue is specifically related to this particular adapter and not the connectors in general...however, it's a potentially serious problem for gamers and professionals who need to run the adapter due to compatibility restraints...

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...be-a-one-off-problem-but-caution-is-advisable

Thanks! After building my previous rig to the RGB-1337 spec, I decided to go for the "system I built over 10 years ago" look, this go-around. #nailedit

do the new Super cards come with the new 12V-2x6 connector?...or does this overheating issue only apply to 4090 cards?

The latest 12V-2x6 "H++" power connector recently made its debut on the Nvidia RTX 40 SUPER series GPUs and offers slightly higher power delivery versus the existing 12VHPWR "H+" connectors...the 12V-2×6 “H++” connector offers up to 675W GPU Power Delivery versus the 600W 12VHPWR “H+” Plug...

https://wccftech.com/12v-2x6-h-connector-offers-675w-gpu-power-delivery-versus-600w-12vhpwr-h-plug/

The latest 12V-2x6 "H++" power connector recently made its debut on the Nvidia RTX 40 SUPER series GPUs and offers slightly higher power delivery versus the existing 12VHPWR "H+" connectors...the 12V-2×6 “H++” connector offers up to 675W GPU Power Delivery versus the 600W 12VHPWR “H+” Plug...

https://wccftech.com/12v-2x6-h-connector-offers-675w-gpu-power-delivery-versus-600w-12vhpwr-h-plug/
Anything that lowers the chance of your GPU burning up is a step forward. It's kinda sad how bad the original 12v plugs were. Hopefully these new power connectors ship free with the 50xx series card. Or maybe there's even a step up from this by then.

Just brought home from Dallas Microcenter a Windforce V2 with connector facing end.
My concern is that it sold as new at full price, but bag inside has been tampered with.
Gigabyte security tape torn and stuck back haphazardly. Serial number matches box,
so I don't suspect a switcharoo for lesser model, just open for unexplained reason.
Ain't got time to go back today, but is this normal (firmware update or something?)
Got photo to post (nothing special but torn tape), but work calls, no time for it now.

Just brought home from Dallas Microcenter a Windforce V2 with connector facing end.
My concern is that it sold as new at full price, but bag inside has been tampered with.
Gygabyte security tape torn and stuck back haphazarly. Serial number matches box,
so I don't suspect a switcharoo for lesser model, just open for unexplained reason.
Ain't got time to go back today, but is this normal (firmware update or something?)
Got photo to post (nothing special but torn tape), but work calls, no time for it now.
Go into the store, ask to speak to a manager - they will take care of you.

the STRIX is even better but I don't think it's worth the price premium
Every STRIX card I've had (the 4090 being the latest) suffered from varying degrees of coil whine. Seems to be common with those cards.

Not a flattering picture, but I was impressed by how much bigger it was than the 1080Ti it replaced.

4080 Aurus Super Master on an Aurus x670e in a Deep Cool ch560.

1000005466.jpg

Back