390X coming soon few weeks

It's also going to depend on the resolution. The 290X performed better at higher resolutions than Nvidia's cards. I expect this trend to continue with Fiji/390X.

People place too much weighting on aggregate performance differences and how that translates into actual usage. With basically comparing two completely different architectures anything within 5% (even 10%) might as well be a wash due to different strengths (work load dependent) and clock speeds. Not to mention the perceptible difference is basically negligible in most scenarios.

You can really see this play out in HardOCP reviews, game settings are essentially either identical across cards in roughly the same class (or even within +/- 1-2 segments), or with some specific work loads swinging either way.

It will likely end up being the most probable scenario in that Fiji is in the same performance class as GM200.

while sensible Fury is faster.
:D

Zarathustra[H];1041655839 said:
Partially agree and partially disagree.

Settings will most likely be the same and the differences in most cases will not be noticeable.

That being said, it doesn't take much to go from acceptable to unacceptable, in my opinion.

The second my frame rate chart (in something like MSI Afterburner) is anything but a flat line at 60fps in a multiplayer FPS using Adaptive V-Sync, the GPU is dead to me :p

That's only one factor though.

The other issue I mentioned is the workload dependency. The "slower" graphics card can outperform the "faster" card, and these scenarios will exist much more frequently if they are essentially near in terms of aggregate benchmark performance. Yes there will be scenarios where the slightly faster card does make a difference (better) but there will be other scenarios where it actually ends up making a difference the opposite way (worse).

The other also is clock speed. With that low of a difference a significant part (if not all of it) can be accounted for in simply how each manufacturer chose to clock the final parts. As we know in practice (look at the huge variance in clock speeds with AiB customs, the new trend of variable clockspeeds) that clock speeds are rather flexible in practice. We are not even technically discussing overclocking here.

Basically with graphics cards that close in performance I don't agree with the methodology of placing heavy weighting on average numbers on what you buy, it should actually be quite low among considerations. Unlike for example how Fiji and GM200 will be much faster than Hawaii and GM204 cards on average, this is a significant performance difference that is important.

Adverb

for all intensive purposes

(idiomatic, US, nonstandard) Misconstruction of “for all intents and purposes” :D

You correct the "intensive purposes", but ignore the "could care less"? :confused:

Zarathustra[H];1041655913 said:
(I think that was intentional :p )

Obviously, especially since he also used I COULD care less which is another idiom botched by many people. So I guess Cyph missed the joke while also whiffing on half of the mistakes used in the joke. D'oh.

Why are you guys excited for a 3dmark score?.. that shit means nothing... AMD cards are known to tend to perform always higher than nvidia cards in 3dmark as the same nvidia cards are known to perform better in Unigine Valley/Heaven Benchs than AMD cards.. 3dmark always help to compare between similar cards and brands. not again others..it just mean nothing..

Why are you guys excited for a 3dmark score?.. that shit means nothing... AMD cards are known to tend to perform always higher than nvidia cards in 3dmark as the same nvidia cards are known to perform better in Unigine Valley/Heaven Benchs than AMD cards.. 3dmark always help to compare between similar cards and brands. not again others..it just mean nothing..

Says the new GTX 980 Ti owner. :D

It's important because it confirms that they will be roughly in the same class (which was the most likely scenario all along), as opposed to the other wilder rumors that Fiji would be significantly slower or faster.

I'm ashamed of myself. My ignorance is deep-seated, but I still think AMD is a shoe-in for the winning crown. I wait with baited breath for the new benchmarks. The benchmarks has peaked my interest, but I think it's all a slight-of-hand. However, I think it and the 980Ti is one in the same. We should do diligence before we make a purchase.

I think I'm getting the hang of this.

I'm ashamed of myself. My ignorance is deep-seated, but I still think AMD is a shoe-in for the winning crown. I wait with baited breath for the new benchmarks. The benchmarks has peaked my interest, but I think it's all a slight-of-hand. However, I think it and the 980Ti is one in the same. We should do diligence before we make a purchase.

I think I'm getting the hang of this.

Needs more hot dogs, brazilian coal mines and grammar nazis. Once you add that, then you'll get the hang of it.

Says the new GTX 980 Ti owner. :D

and im still planing to buy some AMD cards.. I have 2 GTX 980 and 2 GTX 980TI.. and still going to buy AMD.. but trust me as an AMD card owner I never take 3dmark seriously..

and im still planing to buy some AMD cards.. I have 2 GTX 980 and 2 GTX 980TI.. and still going to buy AMD.. but trust me as an AMD card owner I never take 3dmark seriously..

3dmark amazing game all you do is watch it and you dont need to play at all.

Obviously, especially since he also used I COULD care less which is another idiom botched by many people.

Couldn't care less isn't an idiom though. It's a direct statement of how one feels about a subject. An idiom is a colloquial metaphor.

Wow 128 ROPS and 4096bit memory, AND 512GB a sec....The Fury cards are going to eat 4k alive,

And remember AMD crossfire is way better in smoothness then NVidia with XDMA.

Really looking forward to see what it can do in 4k. AND if VSR works as well as Nvidia DSR They might have my money.

Just need to see 4k benchmarks

I'm just glad HBM and 4GB of it, is going to shut people up about the VRAM issue. Bandwidth plays just as big of a role and the way developers are just sloppily using VRAM these days is just embarrassing. More so on the consoles, which always results in the same thing happening on the PC.

3dmark amazing game all you do is watch it and you dont need to play at all.

lol, in unigine at least you have free camera control.. to walk/fly freely.. better game.. :p

Pffft, this is the best game of them all

IRL_the_game.jpg

I'm just glad HBM and 4GB of it, is going to shut people up about the VRAM issue. Bandwidth plays just as big of a role and the way developers are just sloppily using VRAM these days is just embarrassing. More so on the consoles, which always results in the same thing happening on the PC.

I must've missed the memo that we are suddenly bandwidth constrained with GDDR5.

I must've missed the memo that we are suddenly bandwidth constrained with GDDR5.

Well if you own a Nvidia card it has been that way for a while don't know why some people did not notice it :rolleyes:

Nonono...

You need to figure out a way to SELL REAL LIFE to make profit. So far apparently that's illegal... ;)

The best MMO game so far is FOREX!

Very, very low graphics requirements, scalable to as many monitors as you want. Everything in real-time. Low entry fee (sortof), compete against EVERYONE WORLDWIDE at the same time, unfortunately servers are pay-to-win but hey what can you do, great potential rewards in CA$H!

Bah, that game is too hard and fellow gamers are all meanies. :D

im with you.. Tried Outisde already, and yes, the PvP its so freaking hard.. also a lot of penalties for PvP even Jail Like real world and car repair are also so expensive.. so.. no thanks.. :rolleyes: :p

Well if you own a Nvidia card it has been that way for a while don't know why some people did not notice it :rolleyes:

Ins't the bandwidth at all.. its the cheap cost reduction factor called Bus.. Nvidia since kepler started to love tiny bus which hurt at high resolutions.. if they make a GTX 980 with 384 bit with reduced memory speed(to keep bandwidth at similar levels) without change the rest of specs they will improve a lot the performance of those cards..

im with you.. Tried Outisde already, and yes, the PvP its so freaking hard.. also a lot of penalties for PvP even Jail Like real world and car repair are also so expensive.. so.. no thanks.. :rolleyes: :p

Ins't the bandwidth at all.. its the cheap cost reduction factor called Bus.. Nvidia since kepler started to love tiny bus which hurt at high resolutions.. if they make a GTX 980 with 384 bit with reduced memory speed(to keep bandwidth at similar levels) without change the rest of specs they will improve a lot the performance of those cards..

It was a joke, but in reality HBM has 4x the bandwidth of gddr5 that is quite a difference and it will allow a leap in graphics.

Ok, I just picked up my Freesync™ monitor at Microcenter while I was there. Now give me the FURY! :D

It was a joke, but in reality HBM has 4x the bandwidth of gddr5 that is quite a difference and it will allow a leap in graphics.

technically speaking HBM have 32x the bandwidth of GDDR5. but yes, HBM should allow a huge leap in graphics..

Taken from AnandTech, more to consider.

980 has a 19% lead over 290X at 1440P in 3DMark, but real world gaming scores show an 11-12% lead. 980 has a 13% lead at 4K but bench scores for games only show a 6-8% lead. Therefore, using the same logic, if Fiji XT matches Titan X in 3DMark scores, we would need to add 5-7% increase in performance in games which theoretically means if a Fiji card matches Titan X in 3DMark, logic would dictate that it's actually faster in the real world gaming scores, at least when comparing Maxwell vs. GCN products this gen.

Back