390X coming soon few weeks

There's been talk/rumor for quite some time now that the 390X may be a water cooled only part, so...

So what? I'm asking seriously. I don't understand your point.

If the card has AIO cooling, then it will warm up your room... but it sounds like your current cards are taking care of that.

What in my post has to be taken with a grain of salt? I didn't mention anything about what the performance of the 390 might be.

We need AMD to keep releasing big cards to warp motherboards and keep Nvidia cheap.

If the card has AIO cooling, then it will warm up your room... but it sounds like your current cards are taking care of that.

Thought my point was rather clear, but here it is again - unaltered and word for word:

I'd much rather deal with 2 graphics cards that are ~165-175W TDP each at full load then have 300W TDP contained on a single card.

Each of my 780s is ~250W TDP and they both run hot as hell under full load, so I would never consider a next-gen GPU with even more TDP.

Any further confusion or questions?

Basically he is saying that 390x card will either cost $1500 and be watercooled or require the end user to pay for an expensive cooling solution because it will be so hot and loud. So its a pointless card and you should buy NVidia as they are more efficient right now. And He seems to be basing his prediction entirely on the 295x2.

Last edited:
What in my post has to be taken with a grain of salt? I didn't mention anything about what the performance of the 390 might be.

The capability to effectively and cheaply cool it and mentioning aftermarket cooling solutions for the completely unrelated 290 (btw - the Gelid Icy Vision Rev.2 is around $55 plus the $15 290/290X VRM cooling kit, not $25 unless you meant some other HSF).

Remember, the 290 has a TDP of 275W and ran at 95C at load. Crank up the TDP to 300W on the same 28nm node with AMD's track record of lackluster reference cooling and I think it's a bit obvious to infer what will happen to load temp.

Speaking of AMD's track record...if the 390X is to be their niche uber-flagship, then I can easily see an MSRP of $750+ at release. Same path NVidia took with the absurdly priced 780ti and Titan offerings (I'll forever be shaking my head in disbelief at the $3000 TitanZ).

Suffice to say, but we're both speculating at this point. You are hoping for the best, and I'm fearing for the worse. Likely, we're both going to be a bit off-target with our predictions, so let's just agree that maybe AMD will get the cooling solution and price of this thing somewhere in the realm of a happy medium. :)

Basically he is saying that 390x card will either cost $1500 and be watercooled or require the end user to pay for an expensive cooling solution because it will be so hot and loud. So its a pointless card and you should buy NVidia as they are more efficient right now. And He seems to be basing his prediction entirely on the 295x2.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Read my post above. I have little love the past antics of both AMD and NVidia.

Any further confusion or questions?

All my remaining confusion is of a personal nature irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I will gladly move from my current setup to a single-card if it delivers on performance and stability.

AIO would make it slightly inconvenient for me (in my FT02), but not terribly so.

You guys complaining about a 300watt part are wusses. Makes me sick.
I'm hoping for 400-500 watts. F the man!

All my remaining confusion is of a personal nature irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I will gladly move from my current setup to a single-card if it delivers on performance and stability.

AIO would make it slightly inconvenient for me (in my FT02), but not terribly so.

If the 390X releases with amazing performance but a shitty high heat output and that's acceptable to you, go for it. :D

Not gonna happen for me. I don't want a computer chassis that doubles as a space heater. Kepler was bad enough, but Maxwell shines in regards to efficiency. As I've stated, I feel AMD is really falling short with low power consumption and low heat output in both the CPU and GPU segments. Hopefully...hopefully...AMD's next gen GPU is much better, but I'm not holding my breath.

I used to care more about heat and power when I was working primarily in SFF cases, but since moving to full size, those cause little concern for me. I feel like most enthusiasts remain concerned only with performance and don't care much about efficiency. I'm all for it if it happens, but it definitely seems like over the years both companies have been on the high-power end of the pendulum swing and then things go the other way eventually. I remember 480s being little space heaters, too.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Read my post above. I have little love the past antics of both AMD and NVidia.

You base all your predictions on the 295x2. Which is a dual card. i.e. the worst case scenario for what the 390 might be.

$75 is far from the $100's that you say are needed.

The 290 never went over 95 degrees. It was impossible, So how can you say the 390 will have a higher load temp?

As for AMD's track record, show me any single gpu of theirs that has been priced over $700 at launch.

I mean your predictions are based on everything wrong.

I used to care more about heat and power when I was working primarily in SFF cases, but since moving to full size, those cause little concern for me. I feel like most enthusiasts remain concerned only with performance and don't care much about efficiency. I'm all for it if it happens, but it definitely seems like over the years both companies have been on the high-power end of the pendulum swing and then things go the other way eventually. I remember 480s being little space heaters, too.

I am at the exact opposite of the spectrum. I transitioned to a uATX SFF because I was tired of a monstrous tower taking up a shit-ton of room on my desk, but I wanted a solution that would adequately feed my enthusiast computing needs. The 350D is a bit larger than what I wanted, but I had to compromise if I were to remain at the capabilities that I wanted. One thing I am not willing to compromise on: high power consumption and high heat output.

I would have to agree.

Acutally, AMD tends to price lower than what is speculated on a fairly regular basis.

The 290x for example everyone thought was going to be over $550. $499 at launch

same with the 290, $399 at launch.

Both were exceptional values at the time.

As I've stated, I feel AMD is really falling short with low power consumption and low heat output in both the CPU and GPU segments..

Well, I don't know what the next GPU from AMD will be like, but they are generation behind. Maxwell has pretty amazing power efficiency, don't think AMD will reach that as it's too early in the life of GCN.

@Dejawiz - So wait a second... Your entire argument is that you don't like your cards to run at temps that fall within their operating range?

Why would you want dual cards, that will have driver/compatibility/performance issues and also put out more heat than a single 300w card?

Your entire argument makes absolutely no sense....

The capability to effectively and cheaply cool it and mentioning aftermarket cooling solutions for the completely unrelated 290 (btw - the Gelid Icy Vision Rev.2 is around $55 plus the $15 290/290X VRM cooling kit, not $25 unless you meant some other HSF).

Most likely bulk discounts would make that far cheaper than your numbers.
Using consumer prices in this situation makes no sense.

So Gentlemen,
Basically by the time MSI makes there 390X Lightning, I should not hold my Breath for at least 6months or so ?

@Dejawiz - So wait a second... Your entire argument is that you don't like your cards to run at temps that fall within their operating range?

Why would you want dual cards, that will have driver/compatibility/performance issues and also put out more heat than a single 300w card?

Your entire argument makes absolutely no sense....

Was there better value at the 780 performance level for 1080p @ 144Hz gaming before Maxwell 2.0 came out that didn't have shitty driver support, lacking multi-GPU profiles and scaling, lower power consumption and heat output, and nVidia specific features that I do use? Didn't think so.

As I stated, the only thing I am not happy about my 780 SLI is the heat output, so why the hell would I look at a 300W single GPU as an upgrade path with high potential to go multi-GPU?

Was there better value at the 780 performance level for 1080p @ 144Hz gaming before Maxwell 2.0 came out that didn't have shitty driver support, lacking multi-GPU profiles and scaling, lower power consumption and heat output, and nVidia specific features that I do use? Didn't think so.

As I stated, the only thing I am not happy about my 780 SLI is the heat output, so why the hell would I look at a 300W single GPU as an upgrade path with high potential to go multi-GPU?

Why are you complaining about the heat output of a 300w card when you said you would take two 165-175w cards and currently have two 225w cards?

Why are you complaining about the heat output of a 300w card when you said you would take two 165-175w cards and currently have two 225w cards?

My favorite part is that we don't actually know any true details of the card, just lots of rumors, several of which conflict.

If you have a problem with the TDP then buy the next card down. I'd take a 500W card any day if the performance per watt = the competitor. #givemea1kWcardi'llfindawaytocoolit #irealizethisn'ttwitter #doesn'tevenhavetwitter.

Because he would use two cards still, :rolleyes:, just as he said. 300w x2 is 600w, vs a pair of 150w cards (gtx 970) totaling 300w.

Wake me up when a power efficient but performant 16nm gpu comes along using hbm gen2 with 8gb of vram. Until then, oc'd gtx 970 sli works well for me at 4k. I don't care which vendor has it, first one with a good perf per watt and delivering these techs for big gains over what we have now, gets my dollars.

Because my upgrade goal would be to get a single GPU that at least matches the performance of my current 780 SLI (250W TDP each, actually), while having at least 25% less TDP than a single 780. As I've already stated, I love the performance point of my 780 SLI, just not the heat. But what was my alternative before Maxwell 2.0 released? 290X with an even higher TDP, power draw, and ridiculous load temp? Hell no.

My favorite part is that we don't actually know any true details of the card, just lots of rumors, several of which conflict.

You're absolutely right. And I've already addressed that.

The last I checked, this is the [H]forum. All you people with the tiny little micro, mid, I can carry it in one hand cases can shove off. With my 900D, they can't build a card that I can get block on, I can't cool :D

http://wccftech.com/quadro-m6000-flagship-professional-gpu-spotted-gm200-finally/

If there is any truth to Nvidia launching the big card next week, maybe there are trying to cabbage top end sales before the red team takes the fastest crown.

A geek can dream cant they :p

The last I checked, this is the [H]forum. All you people with the tiny little micro, mid, I can carry it in one hand cases can shove off. With my 900D, they can't build a card that I can get block on, I can't cool :D

http://wccftech.com/quadro-m6000-flagship-professional-gpu-spotted-gm200-finally/

If there is any truth to Nvidia launching the big card next week, maybe there are trying to cabbage top end sales before the red team takes the fastest crown.

Different strokes for different folks. There's an *gasp* actual demand for small form factor enthusiast level components, in case you failed to notice. And that segment doesn't seem to be diminishing what so ever. Deal with it.

Glad I'm on water and don't care about heat or bad reference coolers, just have to wait for the full cover blocks to come out.

Good for you... I don't use sff but I don't find it immersive to be sweating due to my rig's heat output while gaming :p. Different strokes I guess.... my oc'd 970 sli performs a bit better than 780ti sli @ 4k but consumes far, far less power and thus puts out less heat. Raw framerate is but one factor of a card's [h]ardness, if it runs hot and loud and lacks the bells and whistles it's pretty soft if you ask me ;).

Power draw doesn't really concern me. What does is noise. If it draws 500w but is only 22db, I'm fine with that.

Power draw doesn't really concern me. What does is noise. If it draws 500w but is only 22db, I'm fine with that.

Power draw isn't a HUGE concern for me as well, up to a limit. I'd like to not see my electric bill significantly affected.

Granted that is kind of unlikely, considering I only get a handful of hours of gaming in a month, and it would spend the rest of that time at idle power consumption.

Noise and size. I'd like to see a reduction on size. The 970 ITX cards are a step in the right direction. I want to see more of those.

I'm very curious to see how the 390X or AMD's upcoming 300 series will performance especially if they are going to use new memory. But yeah still on 28nm is quite disappointing but I wanna see how AMD will pull this off.

No they don't. Go check the last several releases. Meanwhile we are still waiting for freesync a year later.
Lol do you not remember the wait for GSync? And it was FOR-EVER before they put it in something other than a non-1080p TN panel.

ok......... you have the link below Sorry Guys

I'm Happy to have my msi lightning 290x runs Excellent Very happy!
I can hold off for the 390x msi lightning, I know that will be a little while.
I will only post a Link, next time.

I wish All of You with new Video Cards so you will be Happier and your Dreams will come to Reality on your computer systems

Last edited:
Don't post the entire article and it helps if you add a link to the source.
No, 20SOC isn't very likely at this point with FinFets right around the corner, ~6 months away.

Edit- Also "King of the Hill" isn't a reference to a specific series but one of AMD's facilities.

Last edited:
This better be true!
I need a new vid card PRONTO!!

All this overwhelming news.. all to disappoint in the end because we are getting our hopes higher than the actual product may be.

Back