390 Question

[Paragon]

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just picked up an XFX DD black edition 390 and I've noticed that so far the gpu clock speeds (at least according to overdrive) don't seem to hit the advertised levels. In F04 and Blops 3 it seems to only hit about 700mhz or so, performance is fine at 1080p but...I'm not sure why its not hitting higher clock speeds.

At first I was worried that my Corsair 650HX wasn't enough to pull this card, but then I realized there was only a smallish difference in power draw between this card and my old 7970oc. Also the eXtreme power supply calculator says I should be kosher but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Am I just expecting too much? Does it only hit that high when it needs to?

Hello,

Do you see it hitting the correct clock speeds in Valley or Heaven Benchmarks? at 1080p, FO4 should put the card under 100% load.

What are you using to observe the speeds? GPU-Z?

I'm hitting 100% gpu load core clock hits maybe 900mhz but doesnt stay there, sometimes drops as low as 300mhz. Have not run the heaven benchmark yet, but I did run the futuremark stuff and while it didn't hit full speed it was close (1040mhz). This is using both GPU-Z and the monitor in the overdrive panel of the AMD drivers. I'll update after I run the unigine stuff, but that is one slow download.

F04 runs with vsync on by default and isn't advised to be disabled. In many cases at 1080p, you don't need full R9 390 horsepower to hit 60FPS, thus, the clock will probably run a bit lower. I'd imagine something similar with Blops 3 if vsync is on...

Yeah but then fps dips, the core speeds up gameplay smooths out and it just keeps going like that. Far as I know the damn thing should just run at full speed in 3d applications. My 7970oc did.

Hello,

Do you see it hitting the correct clock speeds in Valley or Heaven Benchmarks? at 1080p, FO4 should put the card under 100% load.

What are you using to observe the speeds? GPU-Z?

Ran the Unigine Heaven benchmark, watched GPUZ the whole time, I think it might be power related, but I don't know if its the PSU or the card and I won't know until I can get a new PSU. Card was not able to hold the 1050mhz core speed, and I watched the VDCC power in jump constantly from 120ish or so Watts to 229W. Though I'm not remotely an expert, and I could be very very wrong I don't think that's right.

[Paragon];1042080364 said:
Yeah but then fps dips, the core speeds up gameplay smooths out and it just keeps going like that. Far as I know the damn thing should just run at full speed in 3d applications. My 7970oc did.

The Hawaii based GPUs behave a bit differently with respect to clock speeds. 7970's will generally run full bore no matter what. 290/390's are a bit more dynamic. What happens when you turn off vsync?

[Paragon];1042080535 said:
Ran the Unigine Heaven benchmark, watched GPUZ the whole time, I think it might be power related, but I don't know if its the PSU or the card and I won't know until I can get a new PSU. Card was not able to hold the 1050mhz core speed, and I watched the VDCC power in jump constantly from 120ish or so Watts to 229W. Though I'm not remotely an expert, and I could be very very wrong I don't think that's right.

If your power supply was an issue you'd be crashing. It's not going to cause the issues that you're seeing.

The Hawaii based GPUs behave a bit differently with respect to clock speeds. 7970's will generally run full bore no matter what. 290/390's are a bit more dynamic. What happens when you turn off vsync?

If your power supply was an issue you'd be crashing. It's not going to cause the issues that you're seeing.

This is why I said i'm not an expert :) I've never had issues with a PSU in the past, so I have no idea what to look for.

Forced vsync off via the AMD control panel, no change. Performance will be smooth then it stutters. Also started seeing the following garbled image on loading screens in Blops 3

t1H5zhml.jpg

EDIT - Ok two restarts later and turning Vsync off seems to have done something. Blops 3 and GTA V have smoothed out, though there are some odd instances of slow down when I get too close to some surfaces for some reason, but fallout 4 remains oddly inconsistent when it comes to light sources. With multiple light sources causing fps to tank so hard, i'll continue to play with the settings and see what I can see.

Last edited:

Actually a bad PSU CAN cause heat issues with components. Had a failing one that caused the CPU to run 60C at idle. You'd hear the fan speed up almost instantly. 12V rail was doin low 11sto high 10s. Got a new PSU and problem solved.

BO3 keeps my 390x running full clock speed, but I game at 2560x1440 with vsync off. Actually, I've not seen my clock speeds drop below full speed when playing any game.

Running the latest crimson drivers + hotfix, doing some reading around the web seems like it might be a crimson problem and not the card. Lots of folks are saying that these latest drivers are pretty shite, and I'm prone to agree. I turn Vsync off fps is great but I get tearing, its on performance suffers and all while the gpu clock speed is all over the place.

Stick with non-crimson 15.11.1 drivers until they get the CE drivers ironed out.

[Paragon];1042082053 said:
Running the latest crimson drivers + hotfix, doing some reading around the web seems like it might be a crimson problem and not the card. Lots of folks are saying that these latest drivers are pretty shite, and I'm prone to agree. I turn Vsync off fps is great but I get tearing, its on performance suffers and all while the gpu clock speed is all over the place.

Vsync or frame capping will have the clock change as deemed necessary. If it bothers you I think there is some way to alter power play profiles and force max clock rate.

Going to try a few different things next week to see what happens. Ordered a new Corsair power supply (RM850i), figured what the hell even if that isnt the issue it was about time to replace my 650HX anyway. I'm going to disable that annoying feature in windows 10 where it will just install drivers after your remove the old ones, just to be sure. Then I'll delete the drivers, run driver cleaner and reinstall the crimson drivers. I'll check it out then and it works I'm done then, if not I'll roll back to the last version of the catalyst drivers and see what happens there. I would like to say thanks for all of the suggestions and help being offered in this thread, you folks are pretty rad.

Installed a new power supply (went from older corsair HX650 to a corsair RM850i) and the coil whine went away which is a plus. So I've got that going for me, which is nice. Any idea when AMD is going to release a new set of drivers? Or news on if they are going to give us the option of turning the power saving features off?

Back