32" 3D 1080p LED HDTV as monitor?

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
I've been using a 37" Sceptre 1080p LCD as my primary monitor for the last 5 years and it's about time to upgrade. I think 32" would be a bit more practical for how close I sit to it at the moment. What is the advantage of having an expensive 27" 3D LCD over a 3D HDTV? Is 120hz really a make or break factor? I've played with red/blue glasses on my current screen (60hz) and it's not that great but still fun to mess around with. What kind of glasses ship with a "3D HDTV" like this that is only 60hz?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-3...773561572212165117&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY#rr

The one at Newegg is a different model number. They have identical specs though so it could be vendor related. (e.g. the Westinghouse VR-3725 and VR-3730 were the same TV)

120 Hz on a TV is break factor as the input lag is pretty high. That and it's not really 120 HZ because they have to fake it. If you want a true 120 Hz you'll have to buy a TN panel or wait and see how the 120 HZ A-MVA panels turn out that will be released later in the year. I don't know how they are pulling off "3D" at 60 Hz though. I wonder if it's faking it and it most likely is since it's not 120 Hz and is incompatible with Nvidia's 3D according to a review. Having 3D on destroys the viewing angle though:

178° (horizontal) / 178° (vertical) (2D mode)

100° (horizontal) / 22° (vertical) (3D mode)

I've never shopped 3D displays so that could be industry wide. This one is being marketed as "3D ready" so it's likely not really 3D. Here are the 3D glasses for it.

To bad it's an edge lit LED. I would be more inclined to try it out and see if it could do 4:4:4 and how bad the blur/ghosting was if it was a CCFL set. It has 3 HDMI, 1 Component (Y/PB/PR), 1 Composite (Y & L/R RCA cable), and 1 VGA. It also has 1 audio in, 1 anlogue out (L/R RCA cable) and 1 Coaxial Headphone out so, I'm assuming that's a digital coaxial out which could also be used for a receiver. That price is stupid cheap even for a low tier company like Scepter so there has to be a catch. And looking at their site I think I found it in the specs. HDMI runs at 24 Hz. The native resolution over VGA is 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz but no one cares because that's an analogue signal. I wonder if DVI>HDMI would break past the 24 Hz. Speaking of 24 Hz, it should be relatively judder/jitter/stutter free for video playback assuming the processing is solid. The manual isn't online yet.

I have doubts about it especially since I can't dig through the user manual. It may be worth looking into but, I wouldn't get my hopes up. As for how is it possible to look good in SWTOR and BF3, well not everyone has the same criteria of what looks good. I personally haven't had any issues with pixel density on a 32" TV and it looks the same as 19" 4:3 monitor with a higher pixel density does. That says a lot considering I don't need a loupe/magnifying glass/macro lens to see the individual pixels on a 1280x1024 4:3 monitor though that is a bit straining to pull off. The pixels are easier to see the larger the display gets especially on 1920x1080 as 37"+ have a noticeable screen door effect but I've never had any complaints on a 32" when it comes to pixel density.

They don't stock it locally so it's likely an online only item which makes a return a PITA if there is a panel deffect as you would have to wait for another unit to ship.

Last edited:
Going by the manual for what may be the non 3D version (E320PV-FHD) one of the settings in picture mode is called HDMI PC which is 1:1 pixel mapping.

This feature will map pixel to pixel for HDMI PC resolution without scaling giving your PC graphics a crisp sharp graphics directly from the computer. *This feature can only be used when a computer with HDMI cord is connected to the TV.*

That makes me think someone would be stuck with overscan on any other signal.

Here are the other settings related to the aspect ratio:

SCREEN SIZE – This feature changes the various aspects of the TV’s video. (Aspects include water glass, zoom, full, normal. Water glass shows the image like a fisheye effect where the middle is proportionate while the sides are stretched. Under PC VGA there are only full and dot by dot mode.

AUTO WIDE – This feature will automatically widen analog pictures with black bars.

Towards the end of the manual, it gave more in depth details about the aspect ratio choices:

The TV is a widescreen TV, but most TV programs are still broadcasting in a square format, therefore the TV is offering multiple ways of viewing videos. There are mainly two types of signal format, Full (16:9 format), Normal (4:3 format), while others offer a novelty ways to view the TV. Simply use the ASPECT button on the TV’s remote control to cycle between the multiple modes.

1. FULL
This mode will stretch the picture to a widescreen ratio. If you have a perfect 16:9 ratio picture you will not see any black bars. If you are watching a widescreen movie in 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 ratio, you will still get black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. If you use this mode on 4:3 pictures they will be stretched and distorted horizontally.

2. NORMAL
Most analog TV channels have 4:3 signal formats. If the original 4:3 aspect ratio (1.33:1 source) is preserved, black bars are added to the left and right of the display image. This aspect keeps that aspect ratio and shows you the black bars on the side.

3. Zoom
When watching a 4:3 aspect ratio TV or movie, this mode zooms in to cut off most of the black bars on the side while preserving the 16:9 ratio. Because of the zoom, the top and bottom are cut off as well.

4. WATERGLASS (panorama)
When watching a 4:3 aspect ratio TV or movie, there will be black bars on the side, you can remove this by using 16:9 aspect but the entire picture will be distorted horizontally. This mode will only distort the two sides of the TV (where the black bars used to be) but in the center the picture will still be proportional. This mode will fill the entire screen but most of your picture will be proportional. Please Note : When in HD mode aspect ratios will not work because it is controlled by the signal.

This really doesn;t clarify if it overscans though and apparently the aspect ratios will not work if you are in "HD mode" which I assume means anything using a HDMI or Component (Y/PB/PR) signal.

It does have an option for 24p called "Film Mode" which is likely why they have 24p listed in the sepcs on this set and the 3D one. There is no option to adjust the backlight though and that will kill all interest for me if the 3D sets lack that as well. You are also limited the Brightness/Contrast/Colour/Tint/Sharpness. There are also the following advanced settings:

DYNAMIC CONTRAST – This feature allows the TV to automatically adjust the contrast of the TV depending on the picture you are viewing.

NOISE REDUCTION – This feature reduces general pixilation by blurring them.

MPEG NOISE REDUCTION – This feature reduces DVD video pixilation by blurring them.

The PC settings are the typical H position/V position/Clock/Phase/Colour temperature/Auto adjust. The TV supports "No signal" power off and "No operation" power off and has settings in the TV's menu for each individually. It looks like it's just an off/on setting though which is locked to 5 minutes.

All in all if the 3D versions have the same limitations (and they likely do despite being fairly "expensive" when they aren't on "sale") I would pass on it. I however have certain things I want in a TV so others may feel this would meet all their needs even with the limitations.

Back