2GB of RAM

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
I've wasted so much time and worry over the past few months worrying about overclocking and squeezing every last out of performance from my computer, that I failed to realize how good it actually was and to just be happy. Since I caught the WoW bug, and don't feel the need to overclock as much (can always do RAM dividers), I've been highly considering selling my current 512mb stick of TCCD and my 1GB of PC2100 and picking up two 1GB sticks from newegg. I know that 1GB sticks run at higher latencies than 512mb sticks, and I noticed some even ran at 2T. Others just had the first 3 numbers or only the first. Does anybody have any recommendations on two 1GB sticks of RAM that don't cost a fortune (preferably under $250-$275 for both)?

I know the ones you're talking about. WAY out of my price range.

PQI any good? 2GB from them is only around $230.

you better not be talking about 4x512.

if you do that, best case scenario says that you have to drop to 2T at 200mhz, which decreases ram performance significantly and increases latency by about 10-15%
middle case says 166mhz at 2T
worst.. won't boot. :(

limitation of a64's mem controller. sorry mate

(cf)Eclipse said:
you better not be talking about 4x512.

if you do that, best case scenario says that you have to drop to 2T at 200mhz, which decreases ram performance significantly and increases latency by about 10-15%
middle case says 166mhz at 2T
worst.. won't boot. :(

limitation of a64's mem controller. sorry mate

Isn't it ironic that one of the main advantages of 64bit software is the ability to page large amounts of memory, yet the A64 has one of the worst memory controllers in existance when it comes to high densities?

oh! duh, no wonder you need so much ram, that 100mhz ram is KILLING you on a single channel setup. take out those two pc2100 sticks and run the one patriot stick at 200mhz, see how much of a difference it makes. be sure to tighten up the timings as much as you can get them though

(cf)Eclipse said:
oh! duh, no wonder you need so much ram, that 100mhz ram is KILLING you on a single channel setup. take out those two pc2100 sticks and run the one patriot stick at 200mhz, see how much of a difference it makes. be sure to tighten up the timings as much as you can get them though
I have. My computer crashes in one area with 512mb. It's trying to run the locations of about 200-400 players with textures and models through the RAM, not to mention the environment. Last night for example, there was a raid with approx 200 characters on the screen at one time. And no, it's not the video doing that, as even without that many people, it still chugs if I look at something new. That game will easily tear through 3GB if you make if availible; imagine EQ2, but more resource hungry.. I can at least play it with this setup. 512mb is a no-go though.

then get just one stick of that patriot for 1.5gb, and get another sometime later if you feel you still need it.

a temporary solution to your problems? play horde. far less people, thus less lag :D

You can find decent 1gb sticks on pricewatch.com for around $140 each. I bought some (used) infinion 1gb sticks for $240 for 2gb and its great - 2.5-3-3-8-1T @ 200 or 3-4-4-8-1T @ 220.

I'm using Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 on my nf4 setup and it runs in dual channel at 1T without OC, but it's not cheap stuff.

I'll wait for venice and see if that addresses the memory controller problem. If it does, I'm going to go 4x512 and save $75.

I recently had to decide on performance vs. quantity. My decision was also based on WoW. I ended up going with quantity because 2T timing on ram is still way better than paging files on the hard drive. When ever you starting paging files on the hard drive, you are talking about 1000X slow down.

I bought 2 PQI sticks of 1gig rated cas 3 latency with 2T timing. The price for them at fry's 3 weeks ago was $270, the price for them on newegg was $330. I must say that I don't regret it at all. I used to have cas 2 latency ram for my old set up and I can't feel the difference. But having more ram makes a huge difference when playing wow. I pulled up my performance monitor and noticed that with WoW running for 4 hours, 1.1 GB of memory was being used. This is with nothing else open.

I say go with PQI if you want to spend under 300 bux. Good luck on your purchase

I was looking on newegg and 1GB sticks of Geil with 3-4-4-8 2T timings are $110. Not bad considering thats is lower than what the crap that originally came with this system ran with.

(cf)Eclipse said:
you better not be talking about 4x512. limitation of a64's mem controller. sorry mate

It looks like the Venice may have fixed that problem.

3200+ Venice @ 2.8 GHz

"Yes! I did in fact successfully run 4 sticks of 512 MB DDR memory on this processor at 6-3-3 2.0 1T."

shadowbreaker513 said:
I was looking on newegg and 1GB sticks of Geil with 3-4-4-8 2T timings are $110. Not bad considering thats is lower than what the crap that originally came with this system ran with.
Chiefvalue has the Rosewill 1gig strips for 98 with similar timings I think.

StarWolf said:
It looks like the Venice may have fixed that problem.

3200+ Venice @ 2.8 GHz

"Yes! I did in fact successfully run 4 sticks of 512 MB DDR memory on this processor at 6-3-3 2.0 1T."
looks good then. now is it going to be a per-cpu basis where some do 1t and some do 2t, or is it gonna be a limitation of the bios on the motherboard. i guess we'll find out soon enough. :D

Unfortunatly, there doesn't seem to be any mATX s939 motherboards with an AGP slot and 4 DIMM slots. So s754 and 2x1GB sticks each. I can't bring myself to sell my 1 month old card and get a pci-e one, so no Venice for me.

Back