27 or 30 for Photoshop

Alexdi

n00b
I'm looking to replace a Dell 2408WFP (PVA, aRGB) with a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 screen for photo editing. Maybe two of them, though I'd ideally like one screen in sRGB and another in Adobe RGB. I've got that now with a 32" 1080p TV, but after a few months with a rMBP, the pixel density is getting too low to stomach.

Priorities:
* Color accuracy
* Cost < $700 (refurb OK, used from Amazon Warehouse OK)
* Matte
* Color/backlight uniformity
* Minimal or zero dead pixels
* VESA mount

Nice:
* Contrast ratio > 700:1
* Light coating (less is more, but I'm fine with my 2408 and I doubt it's a 'light' AG coating)
* sRGB gamut preferred or sRGB emulation w/ Adobe RGB panels, but either is fine
* Minimal PWM flickering

Don't care:
* Indifferent between 27 and 30
* Power use
* Backlight tech
* Lag

So far, I'm looking at these:

Asus PB278Q
Dell U2713HM
HP ZR30
Achieva Shimian QH300

Should I add (or subtract) from this list? Thanks!

If you want to consider U2713HM, make sure it's an A00 revision, manufactured after aug 2013.

This post makes an interesting comparison with U2711s Adobe RGB.

I ultimately decided on a QNIX 2710. It seems to match my requirements and doesn't have any obvious showstopping problems (save Mac incompatibility without a dual-link DVI converter), though I've no illusions it's better than 'name' screens based on the same panel. I've had some color and black-shift issues with my PVA Dell, so I nixed the BenQ. Too many QC reports on the Dell to choose that one. (Incidentally, my 2408 was actually my fourth Dell screen in a series of replacements that started with a 2407; these issues are not new to them).

Given the effective sRGB emulation in modern aRGB screens and that all decent graphics applications are color-aware with their own sRGB previews, I see no reason to prefer an exclusively sRGB screen save cost. Editing in aRGB is an advantage for work destined for print. I do mostly web though, so it's nice to have at least one screen exclusively in sRGB.

Last edited:
Back