20pin - 24pin question! Important!

GodSpeed

Limp Gawd
I just recieved my 20-pin based 500-watt PSU, but I realized my mobo is one of those 24-pinners, is there any sort of converter I need to buy or can I just plug it in where it fits?

you can buy an adapter Or a completely different cable if you have the Ultra-X which runs a 24 pin line straight from the psu. (I'm fairly sure its that psu, someone confirm)... What mobo is it?

EnderW said:

we already have one
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1027224188#post1027224188

which points out that not only would you want the 24 pin main power connector
but in the not so distant future the spec may well change again so youd want an 8 pin Auxillary +12V power connector as well ( as opposed to the current 4 pin)
(but only if your planning on powering the next gen of monster PCI-E cards
or are running dually CPUs in which case youd already be running an EPS12V)

Its imporant to determine the actual capacity of a given supply for the config its attempting to power (amps per rail), a newer 24 pin mobo is going to be heavily weighted toward the +12V rail, and many an older 20 pin supply will not be up to the task, typically they are ATX12V v1.3 supplies

there are some v1.3 hybrid supplies that with a 20 pin to 24 pin converter might do
but only after you run its numbers for the config
the Ultra mentioned is such a supply, technically an ATX12V v1.3 with a single +12V rail
but with that rail pumped up to the total amperage called for in the v2.0 spec (yet still a single rail)

I just put in the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum this weekend. It will work with a 20 pin and the 4 pin CPU power. I didn't want to chance it, so I bought a OCZ Powerstream 520W to go with it.

The only reason I know for sure it works, is that I at first used the OCZ and it didn't power on. I didn't have the 24 pin power which is really a 20+4 power pin on correctly or fully seated due to it is 2 pieces.

At any rate I tried my Aspire 500W (the pretty one with lights and shitty rails) and it booted right back up. I then put the OCZ back in with the 24 pin installed AND the 4 Pin CPU power installed, fully seated this time and it worked beautifully.

***EDIT*** I'm not recommending a 20 pin and this motherboard, I just know it works. If you should load it heavily it may not work, but I did have it running with an X850 XT PE and 4 drives and 5 fans and water pump, not overclocked. Threads like the one above warn against using a 20 pin on a 24 pin motherboard.

Posted some pictures here. You can see that the OCZ has a 24 pin (2 pieces that can be used as 20 or 24 pin) and the 8 pin CPU power (2 piece of 4+4) which can be used as the current 4 pin CPU power or future 8 pin power.

Back