20L fully-loaded EATX Case

theGryphon

[H]ard|Gawd
EATX (12"x10.4") motherboard support... check!

200mm modular ATX PSU support... check!

3-way (up to 12") multi-GPU support... check!

280mm AIO liquid cooler support... check!

140mm-fan-only support... check!

1x3.5" with 2x2.5" (or, 4x2.5") drive support (along all-of-the-above, no less)... check!

It's actually doable and not a pipe dream... I'll let you be the judge ;)

Stay tuned! :D

It doesn't sound like small form factor at all and isn't something worth doing really. If you put 3 high end gpu's inside 20L volume you'll either fry it all inside or it will be loud as hell.

I'd rather see a 10L ATX/EATX with flexATX and VGA below motherboards or something like this happening rather than building a custom rig housing overpowered 3-way build.

Anyways if you've got some drawings with part positioning it would be nice to see those. I wonder where did you cut dimensions the most.

It doesn't sound like small form factor at all and isn't something worth doing really. If you put 3 high end gpu's inside 20L volume you'll either fry it all inside or it will be loud as hell.

I'd rather see a 10L ATX/EATX with flexATX and VGA below motherboards or something like this happening rather than building a custom rig housing overpowered 3-way build.

I was under the impression that 20L is SFF...
Surely, this case would not be for everyone, like any other case ;)

Anyway, I'll put this design forth because I like the idea. If you don't like it, you don't have to post here. You certainly can, but you don't have to :)

Anyways if you've got some drawings with part positioning it would be nice to see those. I wonder where did you cut dimensions the most.

This came in while I was writing above post...
I have the drawings but it's not final, and without the perforations shown, people will think it won't work (as in, it would be too hot).

Fry, or too loud? If you put 3x300W GPUs in one system, it's bound to get hot and not be silent unless you're doing a full water loop in a huge case with bigass radiators.

This case would be for those who know what they're doing, and max out the potential of volume using standard components.

Simple question - why are YOU doing it? I mean are you designing it as a proof of concept/just for fun? You want to built such system yourself?

I just want to know if it's really happening/worth following your thread.

Simple question - why are YOU doing it? I mean are you designing it as a proof of concept/just for fun? You want to built such system yourself?

I just want to know if it's really happening/worth following your thread.

Proof of concept for the time being. No plans yet to self- or batch- or mass-manufacture.

This came in while I was writing above post...
I have the drawings but it's not final, and without the perforations shown, people will think it won't work (as in, it would be too hot).
Draw some grey boxes on the current drawings where the perforations will be. We're quite used to in-progress case designs by now!

3x SLI should be very doable in a 20L case. Either through WC and a shared loop (wastes a bit of space between the cards) or through clever ducting: either individual external inlets to prevent drawing hot air into the coolers, or a combined duct with a 120mm/140mm forced airflow fan. Of course, using non-blower cards would be right out.
A single 120mm rad is ore than enough to cool a 295x2, by far the most power-hungry card you might want to cram in. a 3x120mm rad has about the same area as a 280mm rad, so you only need to worry about having some extra supply of cool air for the CPU (again, either a duct, or making the rad an exhaust and assuming that whatever head the CPU can pump out will have only a minimal effect).

^ This case is not intended for full blown liquid cooling but it can be modified to accommodate some liquid cooling needs (reservoir, pump, etc)

It's intended for AIO liquid cooling of the CPU, along with blower style GPUs (for 3-way).

For 2-way, aftermarket GPU coolers with large heatsinks and fans should be just fine (if you ever used those, you know that adjacent GPU placement completely kills their potential, making them worse than blower style).

I'm working on the Sketchup model still, but I'll tell you that the case dimensions are 326(H) x 350(D) x 175(W) = 19.97L

It is intended to be made of ~1mm thick steel all around.

Sounds like the basic PSU-over-the-motherboard layout. It's the most compact layout possible using standard parts (and excluding risers), but no one likes it. CPU cooler height is extremely limited, so you pretty much have to use an AIO. The power supply cables are kind of in the way of everything, and it's not a layout for people that want a window. Still, if your aim is as compact as possible, this is the way to do it.

I'm certainly interested, but dude, you are posting this waaaay to early. A simple mockup in SketchUp would've been the least you could do, that literally takes an hour to make.
Especially when it's just a proof of concept, we don't really care about how it looks, just how the layout will look like, I was interested in that as soon as you talked about it in a comment on Nova.

Sounds like the basic PSU-over-the-motherboard layout. It's the most compact layout possible using standard parts (and excluding risers), but no one likes it. CPU cooler height is extremely limited, so you pretty much have to use an AIO. The power supply cables are kind of in the way of everything, and it's not a layout for people that want a window. Still, if your aim is as compact as possible, this is the way to do it.

You got it, not suprisingly :)
I know the cables are pita but I have an idea to deal with them at the cost of some additional volume. Final volume should still be under 21Lt. I think it'll prove quite interesting.

I'm certainly interested, but dude, you are posting this waaaay to early. A simple mockup in SketchUp would've been the least you could do, that literally takes an hour to make.
Especially when it's just a proof of concept, we don't really care about how it looks, just how the layout will look like, I was interested in that as soon as you talked about it in a comment on Nova.

I intended to get some talk going and post the initial drawings tonight. I wanted to post more than simple drawings because only that way the merits of my idea can be seen. Otherwise, it'll be seen as "yet another PSU over motherboard design". That it is essentially, but with some touches to make it more viable and likeable...

Knowing how cable management is crucial (especially in SFF and especially in this case), I'll implement that idea I mentioned above and post the drawings after that.

I intended to get some talk going and post the initial drawings tonight.

ToMjGpz81S7usvTIM8w.gif

Back