2001FP on sale again

For the Canucks out there, the 2001FP is still not listed at Dell.ca. Nor does the site offer discounts on Flat Panels currently. But when I seen the U.S. sale, I called to see what they would sell it for in Canada. The sales rep said nearly $1800 with taxes, I was about to ask him if there were any upcoming sales and before I could, he said "if you're interested I'll let you have it for $1200 + tax. So $400 + off the total when counting taxes. I hadn't even mentioned that I had cancelled an order the day before which was for list price and the 15% off. Both had free shipping. It seems that in Canada at least, there is a lot of discretion allowed to the sales people. In the end it was $180 cdn. cheaper than when I bought it the first time on sale ? So I'm in again.

Originally posted by FragMagnet
For the Canucks out there, the 2001FP is still not listed at Dell.ca. Nor does the site offer discounts on Flat Panels currently. But when I seen the U.S. sale, I called to see what they would sell it for in Canada. The sales rep said nearly $1800 with taxes, I was about to ask him if there were any upcoming sales and before I could, he said "if you're interested I'll let you have it for $1200 + tax. So $400 + off the total when counting taxes. I hadn't even mentioned that I had cancelled an order the day before which was for list price and the 15% off. Both had free shipping. It seems that in Canada at least, there is a lot of discretion allowed to the sales people. In the end it was $180 cdn. cheaper than when I bought it the first time on sale ? So I'm in again.
man dell screws us canucks. $799.20US at the current exchange rate is $1030.73 CDN. I wonder if I can just order it from the US site.

Originally posted by SanGreal
damn, wish this were dell home... taxes hurt :(

that still wouldnt matter with people like me who live in a state (FL) where Dell sticks you with sales tax no matter what.

SB or Home sales, they still stick us. :mad:

Originally posted by Stinn
man dell screws us canucks. $799.20US at the current exchange rate is $1030.73 CDN. I wonder if I can just order it from the US site.

Though I would have loved to get the small buis. price, but I didn't even attempt to get him down in price, there may be room there. The U.S. Home division is $899 U.S. which at the current .76 exchange is $1182.89 cdn. The Cdn Home division sold it to me for $1200 cdn.

As for ordering from the U.S. site, good luck ! You won't get past the account set-up as it doesn't accept postal codes, only zip codes, (I tried !) One other thing, If Dell sells a monitor in the U.S. that's where they pay the taxes on the profits. Same goes for Canada, but the cdn. tax is far higher, as is the cdn. shipping from the U.S., and the brokerage fee.

Originally posted by kmeson
Thanks for the information! According to Dell I can request price protection for the two 2001FPs I just purchased. Looks like I'll be getting a credit of 199.80.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=cc_faq&message.id=6

According to Yvette from CSD, I can't have the difference, or any other money, back. If I want the money, she told me to send my unit back for a refund, then re-order. I even specifically cited the URL above, with no effect.

Let me know if you have better luck, as well as what method you used, and to whom you spoke.

I got the same response. They want a return and then a re-order. $200 isn't enough for me to go through the hassle. However I did tell a few friends of the deal.

I'm currently in the process of getting one of my 2001FPs exchanged. It has 19 stuck subpixels. I've heard this can be fixed with a bit of rubbing, but I'm not so sure of that. How much pressure should be applied? Anyway I decided to go the email route instead of waiting on the phone. So far I've had nothing but grief.

phew...I REALLY AM CONSIDERING IT. I have 800 bux to spend, and I need an LCD. 20" would be so great! Sigh...what to do, what to do, what to do....

I understand the Canadian frustration.

If only we had someone from the states come up to Canada.

I only wish.

Quick question:

How accurate are the colors?

On the LG page describing the screen:

Number of Colors 16.7M(8bit)

What exactly does that mean? Also, is it a true 16 ms response time?

Only reason I'm asking is I compared a friends 2001 fp to my Hercules ProphetView Pro DVI (20 ms response time & 16.2 million colors), and I noticed a few differences, but nothing too serious.

And other monitors based on the same panel seem to offer a wide range of specs.

Back