20 Toughest Interview Questions Heard At Apple, Google and Twitter

what's the answer to that? fold it in half and cut two diagonals with a vertica line?

Cut it twice on the top in a "+", then cut it horizontally through the middle.

Technically I wouldn't call that equal due to frosting differences, etc, but I guess we are just assuming a pure round of cake here.

Technically I wouldn't call that equal due to frosting differences, etc, but I guess we are just assuming a pure round of cake here.

Yeah, screw having a piece with no frosting on the top!

You can do it evenly into 8 equal pieces in just three slices:

1. Slice the cake directly down the center.
2. Stack the two halves perfectly aligned on top of each other, and cut that cake tower exactly in half.
3. Stack those 4 pieces into an aligned cake tower, and repeat.

So how do you cut each slice perfectly in half? You can pre-measure the cuts using a protractor, and draw one line from center every 45 degrees.

The puzzle doesn't put any restrictions on what you do BEFORE you make those cuts, just that you make 8 equal slices form just 3 cuts :D

2. Stack the two halves perfectly aligned on top of each other, and cut that cake tower exactly in half.

Sounds like a good way to ruin the frosting distribution as well. :p

"If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use."

Put them in water.
Throw them at cars.
Rub eraser on carpet to burn someone.
Use them as chopsticks.
Use them to unlock an old AMD CPUs.
Use them as targets.
Use them to stir a drink.
Break them in two pieces using my middle finger.
Stick them in my nose.
Give to a girl to hold her hair.

Am I hired?

Sounds like a good way to ruin the frosting distribution as well. :p

Easy solution there also, and it fits the other question about inventing a new product and marketing it.

Design a device that holds the cake on one layer for you to cut it. Then you take that half and put it into a second layer that holds it perfectly above the first one to cut, then have 2 more levels on top of that which will hold those newly cut two layers.

So how do you cut each slice perfectly in half? You can pre-measure the cuts using a protractor, and draw one line from center every 45 degrees.

The puzzle doesn't put any restrictions on what you do BEFORE you make those cuts, just that you make 8 equal slices form just 3 cuts :D
You could also just cut curved lines or even spirals esp they never said you had to cut straight.

Cut a circle in the center of the center of the cake, then make a + cut with the remaining 2 cuts.

You could also just cut curved lines or even spirals esp they never said you had to cut straight.

Cut a circle in the center of the center of the cake, then make a + cut with the remaining 2 cuts.

How is that equal? you just cut 8 pieces.

It reminded me of the GRE i had to to take to get into graduate school. It had stupid little College Algebra word problems, that i hadnt seen in years, I had already taken Calc I,II,III Differential Equations and Linear Algebra for my undergraduate degree yet if i didnt study specific strategies on how to solve these stupid basic math problems that are WAY below my level of knowledge i wouldnt have gotten the score i needed

Uh, what? How on earth did you need to study for the quantitative portion of the GRE with that level of math education? That's the one portion I spent maybe less than 5% of my GRE study time on and still scored a 166. Granted I was very well drilled in algebra/trig before I did Calc 1-3 and Diff Eq...but still...you use algebra all the time in those courses. Setting up word problems should be a piece of cake if you were an engineering or physics major.

"If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use."

Put them in water.
Throw them at cars.
Rub eraser on carpet to burn someone.
Use them as chopsticks.
Use them as targets.
Use them to stir a drink.
Break them in two pieces using my middle finger.
Stick them in my nose.
Give to a girl to hold her hair.

Am I hired?

Brought a smile to my face. Was that the old Athlon XP's? The Palomino and the Barton? Man that takes me back.:):cool:

He obviously wouldn't get hired. Unless he drew out the geometrical diagram with measurements and calculated the volume for each piece :D
I think deriving the formula for a given radius and height would be best, the formula obviously calculating the radius of the inner circle cut. That's pretty like basic multi-variable calculus.

How is that equal? you just cut 8 pieces.

Cut a circle with a diameter of 70.71% of the cake diameter. The cake is now in two equal volumes. Then cut twice more in an X pattern, leaving 8 equal size pieces.

hmmmm.... would equal volume be the same as equal size? does size have to do with shape + volume or would volume alone work....

Unless a specific aspect of equality was mentioned (volume, shape, size, etc), then I'd assume equal in all aspects.

"How would you solve problems if you were from Mars?"
Like any sane earth dude: do the opposite of what Obama does.

"What's the most creative way you can break a clock?"
Break it over your face.

"If you were a street sign, what would you be?"
High Ave

"You want to design a phone for deaf people — how do you do it?"
What?

"Why should we not hire you?"
I slept with your Mom last night.

"How would you design an elevator?"
To go up and down.

"Name as many Microsoft products as you can."
Galaxy. iPhone. Play Station.

"How do you cut a circular cake into eight equal pieces?"
Same way as a pizza pie.

"How much does a Boeing 707 weigh?"
On what planet?

"How would you describe a dynamometer to an 8-year-old child?"
It measures how strong a car is.

"Do you believe in a higher power?"
No, but your Mom does, she kept calling me God last night.

"How do you feel about working in extreme weather conditions all year round?"
Cool.

Back