$2,500 RTX-5090 ( 60% faster than 4090 )

Nothing would surprise me. In fact the 4090's "modest" price was maybe the most surprising thing about the 40 series.

Rumors are rumors, and I see nothing on Videocardz or wccftech so there can't be some "new" rumor, likely just making things up to cause a stir. Regardless, it also wouldn't surprise me if this was accurate.

Pricing when we talk about that kind of margin can always be a last minute decision, making this a case that not only rumors but rumors about something yet to be actually decided by the people taking the decision.

Right now on newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=4131 8000 4814 601408874 100007709&d=4090&Order=1

Bestbuy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&qp=gpusv_facet=Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)~NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090&st=rtx+4090

Up to, $2500, can see it.

70% over a 4090 would not be like 70% over the 3090, the 3090 was close to the 3080 back then and considered overpriced for gaming purpose, not the 4090 that seem impossible to keep in stock at msrp. No need to keep the MSRP close to what the 4090 was announced.

70% over a 4090 we are talking a bit more than twice a 7900xtx, more than 3x a 6900xt....

The 4090->5090 jump could be quite similar to the 3080->4090 jump in performance in a way or 2080ti->3090, making it possible, specially if they do not plan to make many, that kind of jump a $1600 get sold out immediately outside giant volume. But it will start to bring to the forefront, to play which game ? Upscaled Cyberpunk in extreme PT instead of high PT at 85 instead of 60 fps, ... they will need to make games happen.

Those hard to run Unreal 5 affair as of now do not scream must play either.

Last edited:
I sure hope this rumored $2500 price for the upcoming RTX-5090 isn't correct?

Said to be 60% to 70% faster than the current RTX-4090;

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/geforce-rtx-5090-performance
I think I'm coming to the end of "modern pc" gaming after 30 years in the hobby. This trend of possible 2500.00 gpu's combined with "modern games" that really don't target my age bracket is forcing me to reevaluate my priorities. At least I have thousands upon thousands of past pc, arcade and retro console games to ensure that I will always be a "gamer"; just not a so called "modern gamer" with the stomach to pay for 2500.00 video cards to play games that no longer speak to me........

Probably all depends on what AMD is releasing next. Performance claims could be true, but a $1000 uplift over the 4090 seems pretty excessive. Wouldn't put it past nVidia, though.

Pepperidge Farms remembers the RTX Titan and Titan V.

3090, 3090 Ti and 4090 were all welcome price points after those two hit the stage.

Unfortunately, if NVIDIA has no competition in the high end market then they can get away with high eye gouging prices especially if the 5090 is going to be 60-70% faster if true and unfortunately this is going to be the new norm. For years NVIDIA has been charging high prices for their flagship cards and I don't see them pricing this reasonably because they know people will still buy it regardless.

Just like when Intel was charging $1K /$2K for their "Extreme" CPU's back then when AMD was still lagging behind, unless if AMD miraculously developed a GPU that can compete against NVIDIA at the end high, then your chances of seeing NVIDIA pricing their flagship card is pretty slim at this point.

Unfortunately, if NVIDIA has no competition in the high end market then they can get away with high eye gouging prices especially if the 5090 is going to be 60-70% faster if true and unfortunately this is going to be the new norm. For years NVIDIA has been charging high prices for their flagship cards and I don't see them pricing this reasonably because they know people will still buy it regardless.

Just like when Intel was charging $1K /$2K for their "Extreme" CPU's back then when AMD was still lagging behind, unless if AMD miraculously developed a GPU that can compete against NVIDIA at the end high, then your chances of seeing NVIDIA pricing their flagship card is pretty slim at this point.
Add in $1200 MSRP xx80 series cards (probably higher for the 50 line), and it's a blood bath.

It is not like the 4090 did not go up to $2500 during its run ? They reached 2500 euros and over $3500 USD in China

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/rtx-4090s-reportedly-being-stockpiled-170152178.html

Up to $2500 does not mean much if it is some ROG model at least not that big of a surprise, a $1800-$1899 MSRP and you easily end up with 5090 selling up to $2500 during peak demand..... without even needing the ROG watercooled special edition affair

You do not just need someone that make a prototype that compete with a 5090, you need them to be able to manufacture relevant volume (if you need N3 to compete not necessarily easy) and something to do with the perfect chips that you can sell really high and something to do still nice with those you fail to be the top model, for their lower than Nvidia price to make sense business wise.

Last edited:
Unf even at 2500 MSRP, that means prob more around 3k for the big models, Strix etc, it will prob still sell out instantly :(

Part of me wonders if they purposely "leak" these price points to random press to gauge community reception. Then if they find that most people get over the ridiculous acceptance hump and gradually accept it, they'll have a much easier launch. As opposed to just launching it at that ridiculous price tag with no forewarning, earning crickets and maybe very slow acceptance.

Price/performance aside when it this supposed to come out? Late 2024, 5080 Q1 2025, 5070 Q2 2025?

PC Games N is a garbage website, just FYI. They post a "story" of every little thing that gets traction on social media to try to be the first reporting on it. This particular story is just repeating nonsense from MLID.

I mean sure 60% faster and $2500 MSRP isn't impossible, but just the fact that it's coming from MILD automatically rules it out for me :ROFLMAO:

I mean sure 60% faster and $2500 MSRP isn't impossible,
Removing the up to of the statement is a bit misleading, what would be a fair the 4090 was sold up to number in the US market, $2200 ? If we do not count the Asus ROG extreme watercooled edition type.

PC Games N is a garbage website, just FYI. They post a "story" of every little thing that gets traction on social media to try to be the first reporting on it. This particular story is just repeating nonsense from MLID.
I looked at this, saw "new rumors" with no source and immediately knew it was bullshit. They've got multiple tech communities talking about it though so I guess they did something right.

The places where actual new rumors get posted such as Videocardz and WCCFTech haven't said anything about this and they're usually on the ball.

Removing the up to of the statement is a bit misleading, what would be a fair the 4090 was sold up to number in the US market, $2200 ? If we do not count the Asus ROG extreme watercooled edition type.
I'd say you can even count that Asus card since it exists and "up to" is so general.

NVIDIA makes all their money from AI cards now, anything that trickes down into the gamers market, I can see them inflating the prices because they can.. the desktop market now is such a small portion of their profits.

Pepperidge Farms remembers the RTX Titan and Titan V.

3090, 3090 Ti and 4090 were all welcome price points after those two hit the stage.
And yet all those cards were aside from the memory capacity functionally a rebrand of the xx80Ti branded cards, and sure some crossover with Titan, but I mean really, spec wise one can argue what constituted a Titan vs an 80Ti card was completely different each gen spec wise since the Titan's initial release in Kepler. Sometimes the Titan had the better specs and sometimes the 80Ti card did. Sometimes the Titan had double the VRAM of the flagship GeForce 80Ti card. Other times it most certainly didn't have double.

Anyway, this doesn't shock me at all if this rumor turns out true. The sad part is that it will just drag the rest of the stack up with it and increasingly anything in the reasonable price range for mainstream consumer will continue to stagnate with gen on gen improvements yet will cost more than ever.

Unfortunately, as long as people keep buying the price will keep climbing.

Some people are only too happy to keep being Jensen's bitch when it comes to overpaying
Right now, that goes for nearly every aspect of life; including but not limited to Nvidia, AMD, etc. Let's be completely honest here, some are more than willing to also be Lisa Su's bitch as well. Everyone is basically overpaying for everything, and regrettably, some things you just can't go without such as food and/or medicine.

Right now, that goes for nearly every aspect of life; including but not limited to Nvidia, AMD, etc. Let's be completely honest here, some are more than willing to also be Lisa Su's bitch as well. Everyone is basically overpaying for everything, and regrettably, some things you just can't go without such as food and/or medicine.
You're not wrong. I wonder if there is something going on where people are just fed up with settling and just want to live their lives the way they want.

I could be projecting a bit here.

of course it's going to be true...people were lining up to buy the 4090 at $1600+...Nvidia is pushing it out to see if gamers have any sense at all

I easily believe it will.

This is part of the plan to get the GPU name to it's current price.

We should match the RTX $ 6090 in 2-3 years.

if gamers have any sense at all
I am not sure it would apply to the most important gaming component costing a lot while actually performing more, someone that love gaming and has lot of money (i.e. the target audience), why not ? A bit like going from a 200hp to a more powerful engine on a non work car at a certain price if you love driving...

Not having sense would be more around buying a 7950x for gaming because it is the highest end and you want it, 128gb of ram, high end motherboard, expensive ssd, caring about pci 5.0, etc... money that do not return any benefit, but can make people spend on them because we are not rationally buying or started building computer in a era where the most powerful and expensive CPU was actually a bit faster at game than the rest and kept that momentum

If the 5090 is really 60-70% over a 4090 and really launch at say $2000 MSRP with the Rog model at $2500, the rich person selling its 4090 at a good price to change it for a 5090, ... seem similar to the person that take the engine upgrade on its car, how much you value actual performance.

As someone who buys a bunch of new gear EG: 6x RTX 4090 GPUS,NVIVIDA Go fuck yourself with the nutty nutbar pricing

Back