IBM New Chip Helps Transfer a Blu-ray Movie in Two Seconds

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
IBM is closing in on a piece of technology that’s been 22 years in the making. What began as a dream that was before its time, has now been realized. IBM is developing a computer chip that utilizes Silicon Photonics to change data into light and back again, that will garner transfer speeds of 100 Gbps.

The chip integrates the necessary components (both electrical and optical) to convert data into light and vice versa, using four different colours of lights and a technology called multiplexing.

Soo, CPUs will only have power inter-connectors and pins?
Is that speed enough for CPU data inter-connectors?

In order for "moore's law" (quotes because it isn't really true any more) to keep going, electrical interconnect needs to go poof. This is already 100% evident for long range communications (more than a few feet) for high bandwidth systems.

100 Gbps seems a little slow for an advance that took 22 years. We can run 10 Gbps over copper ethernet now. Hopefully it's very cheap/efficient and can be trunked with multiple chips.

I'm sorry MajorDomo, but this post is in direct conflict with an earlier post by Steve that showed that it would infact not be possible to transfer an entire Bluray in 2 seconds.

Soo, CPUs will only have power inter-connectors and pins?
Is that speed enough for CPU data inter-connectors?

One nice thing about optics is that you can have multiple data streams on the same carrier and there not be any interference. So even if speed didn't increase, you could run parallel signals over the same channel. You could RAID0 your gigahertz!

westrock2000,

i can't wait to OC my optical Gigahertz! :D

/me imagines himself shining a spotlight into his case to get a speed boost instead of having to do it just to see what cable is going where

Back