CD Shattering At 23,000RPM Captured At 170,000FPS!

The coolest part imo was when they showed it from the side and you could see the CD was spinning at a different rate than the "wave"(the warping of the CD).

The coolest part imo was when they showed it from the side and you could see the CD was spinning at a different rate than the "wave"(the warping of the CD).

Agreed! The curvature moving at a slower rate than the disc material was so bizarre to see. Like watching waves with foam on top in reverse... :eek:

I kind of wish that I had one of those cameras, but then I start thinking about everything I might want to record with it and realize that it is already on YouTube. Than you YouTube for saving me money and random things that I would break in super slow motion just for the hell of it.

How far into someone would the shrapnel travel? Didn't Mythbusters try this?

2:30 into the video is where it gets interesting if you want to skip to the explody bit. :D

How far into someone would the shrapnel travel?

I would think that the shrapnel would lose velocity very quickly due to tumbling. But if the disc is 118 mm in diameter at 23K rpms and you're right next to it, then the edge of the disc is at approx 318 mph (or did I mess up the math?) which would probably hurt a bit ...

Any of you ever had a CD shatter inside a drive?

One of my drives almost did that years ago, but I caught it as the motor kept spinning faster and faster and I knew what was about to happen.

I have also had to replace a fair number of drives for customers that have had a disc shatter in the drive.

This was an evil prank that was played a few times on my floor in university residence. You would wait for a friend or enemy to leave there computer unattended. You then place a CD into the drive that had been hit with a hammer so that it was cracked.
The result?
When they returned and powered their computer back on it would spin up the DVD-ROM and ..BOOM! Bye bye optical drive.

So these assholes just let CD pieces fly into their neighbors' properties?

They should try a hard drive platter. It's made of metal instead of plastic; it's super flat compared to a CD's geometry (perfectly balanced?); and its shiny. :)

Wow that was awesome! I wonder what kind of storage those cameras have to be able to capture and store info at that rate.

Now to burn a CD that fast!

Actually I wonder if the warping is why burning CDs at high speed fails so often. Even at cdrom speeds there is probably a very tiny amount of warp that is enough to cause the laser to miss the track it was on.

So...... a remote trigger for those cameras is literally a momentary switch on a bnc cable. I have made more than a few of them and can say with 100% surety that they cost about $10 to make. These guys are crazy for running up to the camera to stop it, maybe it makes better entertainment?

Cool video made by very stupid people, doing it without any protection for them or the neighbors.

Does anyone know how those high speed digital cameras capture and write large amounts of data so rapidly? One of the guys in the video said they recorded 96GBs in 4 seconds.

Does anyone know how those high speed digital cameras capture and write large amounts of data so rapidly? One of the guys in the video said they recorded 96GBs in 4 seconds.

Yeah they are powered by money. Basic model is $150K.

Body hazard...those guys should have had a small blast shield rig around that rig. Hiding behind a tree Wile-E-Coyote style don't work so well IRL.

Except most of the shrapnel would be relatively confined to a 2-D plane. They weren't in any real danger by standing in line with it's axis of rotation.

We did this with a Dremel once at work. I ended up with a shard stuck in my arm, lol. It was pretty entertaining but it is sweet to finally see what happens in slow motion.

How does it store all that data? 90Gigs in 4 seconds, and an SSD can only transfer in in the hundreds of megs, does it have 90 gigs of RAM?

Possibly just wrote straight binary to a raw filesystem, thus giving no overheat of writing a specific file type to a specific file system.

Work with a guy that used to work with imaging data from the Navy and he said that's how some of those drone flights worked, anyway.

One of my drives almost did that years ago, but I caught it as the motor kept spinning faster and faster and I knew what was about to happen.

I have also had to replace a fair number of drives for customers that have had a disc shatter in the drive.

Only once have I seen it. About 14 years ago to a guy sitting behind me at work. Trashed the drive.

I mean, everyone hates those blasted AOL 5000 Hours Free! CDs, but these guys need to let the revenge go eventually ... (ba-dum)

I really hope they didn't just leave the shattered pieces there ... although since I don't see any kind of containment I'm guessing that is what they did.

I really hope they didn't just leave the shattered pieces there ... although since I don't see any kind of containment I'm guessing that is what they did.

Yeah should really have been done indoors in a more contained area. I guess at that frame rate you need a ridiculous amount of light so it was easier to do it outside.

I wonder how much those cameras go for, pretty sure it would be a "remortgage the house" purchase. :D

Back