Intel SSD 750 Review: NVMe for the Desktop @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Intel SSD 750 Review: NVMe for the Desktop - Intel is set to be the catalyst for a long-awaited leap forward in storage technology with the new SSD 750 bringing NVMe storage to client PCs for the first time, and turning the high end SSD space upside-down. We are expecting blinding IOPs and we dig in to find out what it can mean to the hardware enthusiast.

How can a SSD that cost over 1$/GB get a gold reward, even when it in realworld desktop use only marginal better.

All the test that has bin done show how it would work in a best case scenario, but the truth is, almost all desktop use including games is mostly reading small files, that are bound by the same access time as SATA SSDs!

Last edited:
Anyone who knows anything about SSDs, queue depths, and OS type workloads shouldn't be surprised by this outcome.

However, it deserves the gold award because it's the first of it's kind, and is a game changer. Competition should start coming in and kicking the price down in the future.

How can a SSD that cost over 1$/GB get a gold reward, even when it in realworld desktop use only marginal better.

All the test that has bin done show how it would work in a best case scenario, but the truth is, almost all desktop use including games is mostly reading small files, that are bound by the same access time as SATA SSDs!
[[[image snip]]]

UH... did you read the article? All of that is addressed.

Anyway, Chris, great piece, and again I have to complement your writing. Easy to read, easy to follow, and easy to understand. NVMe is one of those techs I look forward to having, but don't anticipate it anytime soon. What worries me, from a gaming standpoint, is the ongoing ball and chain that are consoles. I see a near future where PCs have this great new storage that could make for some fantastic use of amazing textures (i.e. what Rage tried to do with the larger megatextures), but consoles again holding us back because of their old HDD-based storage.

First it's graphics horsepower. Then it's storage. I'm not liking where this is going...

the intel drive is nice but sm951 nvme is coming soon, thats the drive to get.

I bet 9 out of 10 people can not tell the difference between a SSD 750 and a 850 Pro, or even a 850 EVO or MX100.

How can that be called a game changer?

I appreciate your thoughts on this and your disagreement is noted. I would suggest you go through and also read our article here as well, as you will see we agree on a lot of points.

The fact is that this is a computer hardware enthusiast product or one for a user with a very specific desktop IO need in our eyes, and this review was in no way written for gamers or daily desktop users.

That said, you have made your point and we do not need multiple posts on it dragging the focus of the review into a debate about how you view the SSD market. Please feel free to make your own thread on that and call us out all you want.

Thanks for the great review. I knew access times would be good but that's mind-boggling. I'm excited for NVMe because finally the processors won't be hamstrung by horrendous latencies. Regardless of the current real world impact on noticeable performance, this a big deal. Storage has finally caught up and the benefits will come.

I eagerly await your testing results on other NVMe drives and sometime next year when I upgrade I will be moving to one of these from my current Crucial M4.

Keep up the good work.

I do a lot of large file transfers and when the price of these drops a tad and we get closer to $1k for a 2TB drive... That's exciting :)

Man I want one of these really bad, even though none of my systems could boot off it right now, but it would be AMAZING to run a bunch of VM's off of! Man I only wish I had something like this and a X79/X99 class system back when I worked at LANDesk. I would have spent SO much less time waiting on VM's to do crap, lol.

Do these devices support the SED for BitLocker by any chance, I've not really been able to find anything that says one way or another... I'm assuming they do not.

Congratulations on a 1st class review! One of the best I have read on here, and on par with the excellent power supply reviews!

I'd personally like to see game loading times too.

Also, I'd like to point out that their secondary storage in a hard-drive form factor works with SLI systems that have no room for a PCIe card by using an adapter that can fit between the video cards.

I want to get the 400gb version next month. is it out for sale already?

the intel drive is nice but sm951 nvme is coming soon, thats the drive to get.

I have the m.2 xp941 256gb version.
do you think the sm951 is going to be better than the intel 750?
did u know about the limitations on the m.2 devices? I think a pcie one, is better?

did u know about the limitations on the m.2 devices? I think a pcie one, is better?

There's already reviews of both the AHCI and NVMe SM951. Results are mixed, for consumer workloads the SM951 is probably better.

PCIe M.2 can be better but you have to be careful about PCIe revision and lanes.

The Asus Maximus VI Impact for instance can use either Sata M.2 or PCIe 2.0 x1 M.2 but 2.0 x1 is actually less bandwidth than Sata 3.0.

2.0 x2 is a bit faster than Sata though I don't think it's enough to justify the cost premium, it's not until you get to 2.0 x4 and 3.0 x4 where it's a big performance jump over Sata 3.0.

yes the 951 nvme version is better.not to say the intel ones isnt good, the 951 nvme version edges it out.

I will be very interested in this type of drive going forward, if for no other reason than pushing the consumer market ahead.

Last edited:
I like the review.
will they make a nvme version for the sm951? it would be interesting to see the numbers on that?!

I find really surprising Gold Award. Bronze yes, Silver in some aspects, but not Gold by long stretch. There is plenty to like, but there are 2 things which are instant deal breakers for me. And I read it twice to find that there is no mention of it in the article. One: price [subjective item I admit] of 750 vs Samsung SM951, and two: which concerns me the most is lifespan and endurance. Quoting now:
The 750 Series SSD has an endurance rating of 70GB of writes per day and up 219TB of writes over its lifetime. Intel also gave the SSD a 1.2 million hour mean time before failure rating (MTBF)
Technically 70GB/219TB is massive value, but practically 70GB/219TB is laughable. I can do that easily, without stressing myself too much (in particular that 219TB part). I know there is more to come from this tech, but I'm very unimpressed by first incarnation of it.

Basically 750 is best used for storage of rarely modified data like movies which is simply ludicrous. It should be advertised as "pr0n holder". :D:D

I find really surprising Gold Award. Bronze yes, Silver in some aspects, but not Gold by long stretch. There is plenty to like, but there are 2 things which are instant deal breakers for me. And I read it twice to find that there is no mention of it in the article. One: price [subjective item I admit] of 750 vs Samsung SM951.
I agree with you fully on that one, A SSD thats 2~3x more expensive, but only brings mostly marginal benefits in real world scenario's dose not deserve a Gold award, with a 10~20% price premium i would say it deserves a Gold award, now i agree Bronze is more then enough.

I actually like to see the switch to PCIe NVMe (and ACHI) SSD, the faster interface is certainly not a bad thing, and there are uses ware you see real benefits from it, but in general not so much on the desktop.
(For servers its a whole other story)

and two: which concerns me the most is lifespan and endurance. Quoting now:

Technically 70GB/219TB is massive value, but practically 70GB/219TB is laughable. I can do that easily, without stressing myself too much (in particular that 219TB part). I know there is more to come from this tech, but I'm very unimpressed by first incarnation of it.

Basically 750 is best used for storage of rarely modified data like movies which is simply ludicrous. It should be advertised as "pr0n holder". :D:D
I would really wish that people would stop saying this bs remarks, as even the real crappy 19nm TLC NAND from the 250GB 840 EVO can withstand 700TB of writes before failing.

And seriously you can easily do 70GB writes a day, are you seriously, what do you do with your PC, i dont even manage that in reads on my desktop a day on average.

Excellent article, but I think you've missed a biggie on page 2 under 'Target Users and Gaming Implications' and that is that it can cause lane drops on other PCI Express cards. For instance, if I were to plug one in to my system (see sig), it would cause the primary x16 slot to run at 8x instead of 16x; if I were to go SLI and plug one of these cards into the last slot, the x16 slots would run at x8 and x4. That latter would hurt.

It's also worth highlighting that using this card would prevent mATX users from using multiple GPUs, and place restrictions on ATX users using more GPUs.

It's also worth highlighting that using this card would prevent mATX users from using multiple GPUs, and place restrictions on ATX users using more GPUs.

MicroATX SLI is still possible but only with very specific hardware.

I find really surprising Gold Award. Bronze yes, Silver in some aspects, but not Gold by long stretch. There is plenty to like, but there are 2 things which are instant deal breakers for me. And I read it twice to find that there is no mention of it in the article. One: price [subjective item I admit] of 750 vs Samsung SM951, and two: which concerns me the most is lifespan and endurance. Quoting now:

The price per GB of the 750 is right in line with the SM951 AHCI, and will probably also basically be a wash with the NVMe version. The SM951 (AHCI or NVMe) are still OEM-only products with finicky compatibility (not to say that NVMe support is great anywhere, but there's something to be said about retail support of a high-end SSD). Furthermore, the Intel 750 is cheaper per GB than any of the other PCIe options in the test roundup. So, dominant performance, significant new tech and value vs. peers? Seems like Gold to me.

While I'm going to very nicely ask Samsung for an SM951 to test, from what I've heard and read they've been iffy about review samples for non-retail drives, and I'm also a little disappointed at the lack of 1TB option.

In terms of endurance, 219TB Total Bytes Written (TBW)/70GB/day is quite nice, but perhaps not market-leading. Gotta provide some incentive to move up to the P3xxx drives.

Another MAJOR, MAJOR point is that the quoted reliability numbers from manufacturers aren't comparable. Have a look at the description of JEDEC testing standards here- http://www.flashmemorysummit.com/English/Collaterals/Proceedings/2011/20110810_T1B_Cox.pdf

You will often have to go into the fine print on a product's datasheet to find the testing methodology used, but the Intel 750's endurance is quoted on the JESD218 standard, while the crazy enormous numbers shown by Kingston for the HyperX Predator are based on JESD219A. What does that mean in practice as we try to compare these numbers? It means that they're apples and oranges.

Compared to some other SSDs in the test or of interest, and with the above caveats, here's how the Intel 750's 219TB/70GB/day stacks up:

• Samsung SM951- because it's OEM-only, Samsung won't be held to endurance figures. One reseller, RamCity, apparently warranties it to 72TBW on the 512gb version (methodology unknown)
  • Kingston HyperX Predator - 882TB total (JESD219A)
  • Samsung 850 Pro- 300TB total (methodology unknown)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 1TB- 150TB total (methodology unknown)
  • OCZ RevoDrive 350 480GB - 50GB/day (methodology unknown)
  • G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB - 192TB total (methodology unknown)
  • SanDisk Extreme Pro 960GB- >70TB total (methodology unknown)

Samsung's Pro drives are seemingly unkillable, but beyond that, we can't really discern much from these numbers. If you're doing >70GB of writes a day, you're a prime client for a workstation-class drive anyway.

I agree with you fully on that one, A SSD thats 2~3x more expensive, but only brings mostly marginal benefits in real world scenario's dose not deserve a Gold award, with a 10~20% price premium i would say it deserves a Gold award, now i agree Bronze is more then enough.

I actually like to see the switch to PCIe NVMe (and ACHI) SSD, the faster interface is certainly not a bad thing, and there are uses ware you see real benefits from it, but in general not so much on the desktop.
(For servers its a whole other story)

It's twice as expensive per GB as the Extreme Pro, and cheaper per GB than any of the other PCIe drives in the test. So, more money than SATA, sure, but let's look at some of the 'marginal' benefits in real-world desktop benchmarks vs. the Extreme Pro, which is a top-performing SATA drive:

Photoshop CS6
Extreme Pro: 205.3s
Intel 750: 106.5s
48% improvement

Premiere CS6
Extreme Pro: 475s
Intel 750: 216s
55% improvement

Visual Studio 2013 (Chromium Compilation)
Extreme Pro: 49min
Intel 750: 46min
6% improvement (though still totally CPU-limited)

20GB Compressible Copy
Extreme Pro: 105.2s
Intel 750: 30.0s
71% improvement

9.85GB Zip Copy
Extreme Pro: 37.3s
Intel 750: 13.3s
64% improvement

So, these are all of the real-world tests in our review. Would you still say that these are "mostly marginal benefits?"

Excellent article, but I think you've missed a biggie on page 2 under 'Target Users and Gaming Implications' and that is that it can cause lane drops on other PCI Express cards. For instance, if I were to plug one in to my system (see sig), it would cause the primary x16 slot to run at 8x instead of 16x; if I were to go SLI and plug one of these cards into the last slot, the x16 slots would run at x8 and x4. That latter would hurt.

You make a good point that's on my radar as well- most people aren't rocking 40-lane CPUs at this point. In the future, PCIe lanes are going to become a big constraint if it becomes the dominant storage interface. It will be interesting to see how the market evolves.

I like the review.
will they make a nvme version for the sm951? it would be interesting to see the numbers on that?!

Thanks. They've announced it, but it's still OEM-only as far as I know. Shrug.

Anyone who knows anything about SSDs, queue depths, and OS type workloads shouldn't be surprised by this outcome.

However, it deserves the gold award because it's the first of it's kind, and is a game changer. Competition should start coming in and kicking the price down in the future.
Agreed- the performance was less surprising than the price to me. Intel would have still had a dominant product at a higher price point, but this is an Amazon-style value play by a company with the war chest and stones to do so.

UH... did you read the article? All of that is addressed.

Anyway, Chris, great piece, and again I have to complement your writing. Easy to read, easy to follow, and easy to understand. NVMe is one of those techs I look forward to having, but don't anticipate it anytime soon. What worries me, from a gaming standpoint, is the ongoing ball and chain that are consoles. I see a near future where PCs have this great new storage that could make for some fantastic use of amazing textures (i.e. what Rage tried to do with the larger megatextures), but consoles again holding us back because of their old HDD-based storage.

First it's graphics horsepower. Then it's storage. I'm not liking where this is going...
Thanks! This is exactly the impression I got from chatting with Intel's engineers. It's a bit of a downer.

Thanks for the great review. I knew access times would be good but that's mind-boggling. I'm excited for NVMe because finally the processors won't be hamstrung by horrendous latencies. Regardless of the current real world impact on noticeable performance, this a big deal. Storage has finally caught up and the benefits will come.

I eagerly await your testing results on other NVMe drives and sometime next year when I upgrade I will be moving to one of these from my current Crucial M4.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the feedback. Agreed, good things will come from more NVMe drives and more competition.

Congratulations on a 1st class review! One of the best I have read on here, and on par with the excellent power supply reviews!
That's high praise, because our PSU reviews are awesome :D Thank you!

And seriously you can easily do 70GB writes a day, are you seriously, what do you do with your PC, i dont even manage that in reads on my desktop a day on average.
Easily. I've had a 850 Pro for just over 4 weeks now and already have 2.2TB worth of writes. How? Well I like my PC to sleep to save power when I'm not using it and I like the hybrid sleep feature so every time my PC goes to standby that's a 55GB write (you know, what with 64GB of RAM), so that's at least 55GB/day there assuming only one usage session, often two on weekends though so that's almost 500GB/week there. Sure I could turn it off and save the writes but the 850 Pro 1TB is warrantied to 300TB written over 10 years, or about 82GB/day. hell the 512GB 850 Pro is warrantied to 300TB/10 years so the 1TB should be capable of double that. And since the 850 Pro uses stacked NAND on the larger 40nm process and can probably take closer to the 5k writes/cell than the 1k writes/cell of the smaller processes, so the 1TB 850 Pro would crush all those drives they put through the endurance test, and some of those lasted over 2PB written. If a 21nm 256GB 840 Pro can take 2.4PB of data before failing how long do you think a 40nm 1TB version will last? Anandtech seems to think that with 100GB/day it will last over 50 years.

Still would love to know if this thing supported SED...

From what I've been able to find (and it doesn't appear to be mentioned in the datasheet), the P-series drives support hardware-level encryption, but not the 750.

So, these are all of the real-world tests in our review. Would you still say that these are "mostly marginal benefits?"
If you do those a lot, then yes great benefits, me i start-up Win, programs and games, and i see marginal benefits.

Me i would put my money in components that really benefit me in general as a faster video cards.

Well I like my PC to sleep to save power when I'm not using it and I like the hybrid sleep feature so every time my PC goes to standby that's a 55GB write (you know, what with 64GB of RAM).
I do have 64GB RAM for CAD (fr drawings from a refinery i work at), but i never use that much memory, like now i have plenty of things open, and have 4.7GB in use, and 7.8GB on standby, and my hiberfil.sys is always around 12GB, and thats on a extreme multitask machine with a total of 19.6MP of desktop space.

From what I've been able to find (and it doesn't appear to be mentioned in the datasheet), the P-series drives support hardware-level encryption, but not the 750.
Not really strange, they dont want you to buy consumer SSDs, and use them in pro environment.

Agreed on your first point, as I've said in previous articles- for most users and gamers, virtually all current SSDs will do the trick.

The fact is that if you're in the market for a high end SSD, you probably have a specific need for it. Buying an SSD 750, or SM951, or really any PCIe SSD because you want your games to load faster is like buying a diamond dust drill bit for balsa wood.

CAD is actually one of the areas that Intel claims the 750 excels in, but I see that as a tough one to benchmark, as rendering is still CPU/GPU limited and you'd need some huge models to realize practical benefits.

CAD is actually one of the areas that Intel claims the 750 excels in, but I see that as a tough one to benchmark, as rendering is still CPU/GPU limited and you'd need some huge models to realize practical benefits.
I am a piping and maintenance supervisor on a refinery, and use CAD and PlantView a lot to open up drawings, in prep for the work next day, so i work 1~2 hours every day from home ware i do most of that work, instead of the office, (A) my own machine is much better, specially screen and memory wise, (B) i love to have family around me.

But only opening and saving the drawings takes some time, in between saves happen in the background, i dont find my self not waiting a lot on my drive, at least not when i have enough system memory, something i would invest sooner then this SSD.

And if i go to the office ware all the CAD drawers work, they use mostly network based storage, and have only the work copy local, as there work progress needs to be shared.

Disappointing, but then again I'm probably one of the few freaks out there that prefers to run BitLocker on, well, everything I can.

Not really strange, they dont want you to buy consumer SSDs, and use them in pro environment.
Uhh, what? SED is far from enterprise/pro only. All of Samsung's SSDs since the 840 EVO support SED. Granted in the consumer realm it's mostly on mobile, and higher end mobile at that, but with a SED you can do full drive encryption with literally zero CPU overhead and zero performance penalty since these drives were using AES encryption to randomize the data on flash, so all BitLocker has to do is encrypt the SED's AES key with its own key and the drive is instantly encrypted. I'd imagine businesses using these in high performance workstations might like something like zero impact FDE to protect whatever files they have stored on them in the event the workstations are stolen.

Uhh, what? SED is far from enterprise/pro only. All of Samsung's SSDs since the 840 EVO support SED.
But those drives dont really have this high server spec IOPS, next to that, no sane admin is gone put a EVO with TLC NAND in a server.

Since when are we talking about servers? The 750 isn't really server speced either with only 70GB/day writes. The 850 Pro supports SED since it came after the 840 EVO and I imagine plenty of sane admins would use them in high end workstations which it seems what the 750 is targeted at.

Since when are we talking about servers? The 750 isn't really server speced either with only 70GB/day writes.
There are plenty of servers that mainly serve up data, and high high read and low wright load.

The 850 Pro supports SED since it came after the 840 EVO and I imagine plenty of sane admins would use them in high end workstations which it seems what the 750 is targeted at.
Yes the 850 Pro is a low/medium server grade SSD, with a reasonable server grade price tag, but the 750 if it can utilize its strong points, in a high read environment, then its just as fast as a P3700 its big brother, for half the price of its big brothers.

Naturally Intel wants to differentiate as much as possible between the lines, and SED is one of the check boxes, is that not the same as with the Xeon and i3/5/7 lines.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review.

I was more curious about how these could help on a gaming system. Im assuming a normal sata would be just fine, because most of the data games use is loaded to memory anyway -- would that be correct?

Back