Steam over 65 mil users +30% in 12mo.

elvn

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/30/5045830/steam-65-million-active-accounts-6-million-concurrent-users

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/30/valve-steam-65-million-users/

Valve has announced that Steam now has over 65 million users playing its over 3,000 games, the company announced this afternoon. That's a 30 percent increase (15 million accounts) over the last 12 months -- putting the service's userbase well above that of Microsoft's Xbox Live (which has 48 million, according to MS). Not quite the 110 million that belong to Sony's PlayStation Network, but not too shabby.
Steam is now 10 years old. Valve used its 10th anniversary as a cue to sail into uncharted waters, announcing a new operating system, game controller, and range of gaming PCs in the same year its two major console competitors are releasing new machines. In contrast to Steam's figures, Microsoft's Xbox Live has 48 million accounts — around half of whom reportedly paid extra for a gold subscription to play online in 2010 — and Sony's PlayStation Network claims 110 million.
these new figures do suggest that Steam doesn't have to worry about being eclipsed: its users on their own are numerous enough to make the service a worthy competitor.

The XBL figures may also have been inflated, as anyone with a GFWL account also has an Xbox Live account by default.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/12/4826190/linux-only-needs-one-killer-game-to-explode-says-battlefield-director
It would only take one "killer" game for the Linux platform to explode its way into mainstream gaming, DICE creative director Lars Gustavsson told Polygon, revealing that the development studio would "strongly" like to get into Linux.

Last edited:
We will have to see what the steamOS can do as far as a non-technophile's ability to buy a pre-made steambox for the living room and rely on steamOS updates to keep it up to date. I am hopeful that the steamOS will be solid in that facet.
Having a non-technophile ("transparently linux-based") simple kiosk/console like interface box in the living room could provide a whole new audience for "openGL/linux~steamOS" based gaming that was never there before as compared to very nuanced/problematic clique of linux users who game. The steamBox/steamOS has the potential to open that audience up from the current linux tinkerer niche (and nuanced windows user base) to an audience of simple OS/kiosk interface users backed by the steam service (plus the desktop PC and DiY pc builder crowds that try the linux-based steamOS). That is a large distinction in demographics, usability, and numbers. As for steamOS itself, we have to see what the actual OS can do. As of now the functionality is just on faith. I hope they deliver. :cool:

While its undeniably popular i have an account that i don't use, will never use and cant delete. It would be nice to know how many of that 65million have logged in in the last year to give a fairer number.

While its undeniably popular i have an account that i don't use, will never use and cant delete. It would be nice to know how many of that 65million have logged in in the last year to give a fairer number.

Same can be said for PSN's whopping 110 Mil figure or XBL's 48 Million.

Fair numbers are hard to come by across the board.
The XBL figures may also have been inflated, as anyone with a GFWL account also has an Xbox Live account by default.
Tallying active players is good, rather than overall game sales and sign ups, but it can be difficult to get an honest number.

On steam, DoTa2 has 500k actively playing daily. Skyrim at the height of it's popularity on steam had around 290,000 concurrent players.

I'm pretty sure you have to enable stat tracking to be included in these stats linked below, so there can be users who opted out skewing the statistics. Those are also by day which can vary a lot.
http://steamgraph.net/?action=games

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

On pc outside of steam,
League of legends was at 3 million concurrent playing users in july of last year. League of legends had 11.3 active users Jan 2012, compared to WoW's 10.3 million active users at that same time. (WoW probably had more in it's heyday).
League of Legends' now has 32 million active and World of Tanks' 45 million registered. League of Legends sees "over 500,000 peak concurrent players every day on just the EU West shard.". WoW still has like 9 to 10 million subs though it is still losing numbers, but it is getting long in the tooth and is still a considerable paid subsciption. Idk how many people still play minecraft and other popular pc games outside of steam.

Last edited:
Just looking at the nausea from the 1-29 Rift chat since it went free to play on Steam this week you can see the real force of Steam users :p enough to make a guy sick....

And again I'm reminded that the most played game on Steam is a free to play game full of trolls and kids. I want the 60 minutes back I spent on that game.

I haven't been on there. Rift went free2play quite awhile back now though, it just wasn't advertised and downloadable via steam. A lot of games have cringe worthy chatters. Xboxlive is probably the most notorious for it. I don't see how that applies. Faceless internet user venues are often full of trolls, racists, and overall a-holes.

Just looking at the nausea from the 1-29 Rift chat since it went free to play on Steam this week you can see the real force of Steam users :p enough to make a guy sick....

You need too look into organizing your thoughts into sentences. You're annoying us.

Would you like someone to show you how to use google as well?
Unless you DON'T have steam, I feel you are being snarky. Open the store and click the linux tab...............

Typical Linux user snarky reply...:rolleyes:

I was wondering as well and I've used Linux. Not worth googl'ing so must be bullshit. Please don't mention WOW either... ;)

I was wondering as well and I've used Linux. Not worth googl'ing so must be bullshit. Please don't mention WOW either... ;)

You don't need Linux.
Do you really not have Steam, or are you just thick?

I think the point was that there are no "killer games" on Linux. Unless by "killer" we mean killing zombies, Combine, etc.

Steam will still be on the pc too. The linux games on steam now are not indicative of the potential linux games on steam going forward. They are potentially going to open up a whole new user base.

We will have to see what the steamOS can do as far as a non-technophile's ability to buy a pre-made steambox for the living room and rely on steamOS updates to keep it up to date. I am hopeful that the steamOS will be solid in that facet.
Having a non-technophile ("transparently linux-based") simple kiosk/console like interface box in the living room could provide a whole new audience for "openGL/linux~steamOS" based gaming that was never there before as compared to very nuanced/problematic clique of linux users who game. The steamBox/steamOS has the potential to open that audience up from the current linux tinkerer niche (and nuanced windows user base) to an audience of simple OS/kiosk interface users backed by the steam service (plus the desktop PC and DiY pc builder crowds that try the linux-based steamOS). That is a large distinction in demographics, usability, and numbers. As for steamOS itself, we have to see what the actual OS can do. As of now the functionality is just on faith. I hope they deliver.

The game list will have to be seen. It wouldn't be the first time in history that different consoles/boxes in the living room had much of their game libraries unique. The steambox doesn't have to be a console and have a console library. The fact that the steambox could end up not being just another port to every console game type box wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
The difference might end up being more about which core steambox games you can't play on a console, not what you can't play on a steambox, depending on your perspective.
If, big if, they eventually release a steamOS source2 engine (pure speculation, not announced) along with strong dev and mod support, it could add more solid titles to the steambox. Hopefully eventually HL3, TF3, L4D3, Portal 3, DOTA 2~3, etc. MMO's, MoBAs, and single player RPGs really shine on pc based systems too as compared to consoles, if they get some popular ones on steamOS. There are also mods on games that took off and are extremely popular. Who knows what else could come out with a more open environment and good mod support/tools (unlike consoles typically), and there is a lot of indie dev support on steam for people who like arcade-y and fun game stuff. Also, steam sales are great. Another big draw could be how much better the graphics are even running medium settings on a pc-gaming-hardware based system. Non-upscaled resolutions, higher rez textures, better shaders, higher FX settings, longer view distances, further objects/players/creatures viewable in distance, amount of players sustainable in game, generally higher fps, more sophisticated and unhindered controls and interfaces. As future very high resolution revisions of the oculus and competitors come out, the consoles could be very limited in the VR arena where the resolutions and view distances become much more important. (Some xboxone titles are said to run in 1600x900 and even 720p to maintain performance, PS4 said to be 1080p). The VR based content for the steambox/pc + modding communities could end up being much more open/unrestricted and have a lot more available for it in the long run too. The landscape may change, and what ends up unique from consoles could be an advantage for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Maybe we need to better define "killer game".

MURDER?!

Family-guy-gif-mime-murder.gif

Yeah i dunno:confused:

I think what the dev in the original article was saying is, once some extremely popular game ("killer game") makes that leap, then people will be able to play it voraciously on a steambox/steamOS with much better graphics and controls than a console which would drive steamOS(linux) adoption. I'm not certain that the opposite side of the equation is not more true - "build it and they will come". Especially if it has much better graphics quality potential, controls, a more open and supportive free online environment, better dev tools/support and more mods, better game sales.

There is also the question of when the potential source2 engine will come out, HL3, TF3, L4D3, CS, and mods possibly. The future of VR headsets could also alter the landscape while consoles are locked into lower resolutions for a full cycle.

The steamBox/steamOS has the potential to open that audience up from the current linux tinkerer niche (and nuanced windows user base) to an audience of simple OS/kiosk interface users backed by the steam service (plus the desktop PC and DiY pc builder crowds that try the linux-based steamOS). That is a large distinction in demographics, usability, and numbers.

Last edited:
And a new patch that is potentially Good+

"A new Steam Client update has been released and will be automatically downloaded. The specific changes are listed below.

General

Updated Downloads section, including download-queue management and quick links to throttling and app update settings
Added "High Priority" app update setting - Steam will prioritize automatic updates for that app
Added support for displaying default button text for default HTML controls in the Web control
Update notification indicator when opting into/out of notifications for an app
Updated SDL with the 2.0.1 release, improving game controller support
Moved server browser max pings /minute setting from "Downloads" to "In-Game" tab of Settings dialog
Improve in-game performance when enumerating community items for some users who have used a very large number (thousands) of workshop items in Portal 2 or hero builds in Dota 2
Fixed issue retrieving stale data for a Steam Workshop file, immediately after publishing a Steam Workshop file
Fixed failing to run a game if it had a very long optional command and triggered the warning dialog
Fixed crash on exit for the overlay
Fixed running some install script steps on 2nd game install
Fixed issue with ever-increasing playtime for games that aren't running

Big Picture
Added Big Picture Offline Mode indicator / Go Online button in top row, visible when in offline mode
Added a RESET option when configuring a game controller
Added option to join Steam Client Beta's from the Settings page
Added button to check for Steam Client updates from the Settings page
Improved transition when launching a game
Fixed screensaver not enabling sometimes when a game controller was being used
Fixed errors when refreshing your Steam login
Fixed Javascript alerts and dialogs showing incorrectly when using the web browser
Fixed being unable to click Accept on the SSA dialog if running Steam for the first time
Fixed UI loop when using the History button of the Account settings page
Fixed custom categories not showing when selected in the All Games view
Fixed launching game while another game launch was already in progress

Windows:
Fixed a bug where maximizing would lead to an incorrectly sized window if the Steam window was on a secondary monitor that has the primary taskbar positioned on it
Workaround to post fewer win32 message in the in-game overlay for games that don’t reliably drain the queue

Linux:
Better track games that use an intermediate launcher
Fixed text incorrectly getting ellipses in some Big Picture controls
Fixed crash at startup with certain window managers

OSX:
Fixed Microphone selection not updating when changed in the settings dialog"

So nice. Games that you've set to not auto-update shows up in the download queue and can be upgraded with a click.

It was answered in the comment you quoted.
Guess you really are that thick...

Saying you answered it and actually answering it are two different things. I want to know what YOU say are these uber Linux games. Going to Steam does not answer the original question as I don't see them under the "Linux" tab. I guess you would rather troll and pretend to be a....

Would you like someone to show you how to use google as well?
Unless you DON'T have steam, I feel you are being snarky. Open the store and click the linux tab...............

I don't think you read his whole reply.

I want to know what YOU say are these uber Linux games.

Of course you do, because that's a required step so that you can, in typical useless internet wankery fashion, argue that none of the games HE mentions falls under YOUR definition.

Pointless. The use of that image only makes the projection ironic.

Still waiting...or are we done here?

I don't see any "killer" games under the Linux tab....please feel free to prove me wrong, because I would really like to be?

Steam will still be on the pc too. The linux games on steam now are not indicative of the potential linux games on steam going forward. They are potentially going to open up a whole new user base.

Having a non-technophile ("transparently linux-based") simple kiosk/console like interface box in the living room could provide a whole new audience for "openGL/linux~steamOS" based gaming that was never there before as compared to very nuanced/problematic clique of linux users who game. The steamBox/steamOS has the potential to open that audience up from the current linux tinkerer niche (and nuanced windows user base) to an audience of simple OS/kiosk interface users backed by the steam service (plus the desktop PC and DiY pc builder crowds that try the linux-based steamOS). That is a large distinction in demographics, usability, and numbers. As for steamOS itself, we have to see what the actual OS can do. As of now the functionality is just on faith. I hope they deliver.

The game list will have to be seen. It wouldn't be the first time in history that different consoles/boxes in the living room had much of their game libraries unique. The steambox doesn't have to be a console and have a console library. The fact that the steambox could end up not being just another port to every console game type box wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
The difference might end up being more about which core steambox games you can't play on a console, not what you can't play on a steambox, depending on your perspective.
If, big if, they eventually release a steamOS source2 engine (pure speculation, not announced) along with strong dev and mod support, it could add more solid titles to the steambox. Hopefully eventually HL3, TF3, L4D3, Portal 3, DOTA 2~3, etc. MMO's, MoBAs, and single player RPGs really shine on pc based systems too as compared to consoles, if they get some popular ones on steamOS. There are also mods on games that took off and are extremely popular. Who knows what else could come out with a more open environment and good mod support/tools (unlike consoles typically), and there is a lot of indie dev support on steam for people who like arcade-y and fun game stuff. Also, steam sales are great. Another big draw could be how much better the graphics are even running medium settings on a pc-gaming-hardware based system. Non-upscaled resolutions, higher rez textures, better shaders, higher FX settings, longer view distances, further objects/players/creatures viewable in distance, amount of players sustainable in game, generally higher fps, more sophisticated and unhindered controls and interfaces. As future very high resolution revisions of the oculus and competitors come out, the consoles could be very limited in the VR arena where the resolutions and view distances become much more important. (Some xboxone titles are said to run in 1600x900 and even 720p to maintain performance, PS4 said to be 1080p). The VR based content for the steambox/pc + modding communities could end up being much more open/unrestricted and have a lot more available for it in the long run too. The landscape may change, and what ends up unique from consoles could be an advantage for a lot of people.

A lot of games have cringe worthy chatters. Xboxlive is probably the most notorious for it. I don't see how that applies. Faceless internet user venues are often full of trolls, racists, and overall a-holes.

Of course you do, because that's a required step so that you can, in typical useless internet wankery fashion, argue that none of the games HE mentions falls under YOUR definition.

Pointless. The use of that image only makes the projection ironic.

OK, name me yours then? I can almost see Left4Dead2, but how freaking old is that game? Are we talking old Valve games or what? Those are not going to draw gamers to Linux.

DotA2. They have something like 360 Linux titles. Some of the are popular games. Why don't we all have a nap now.

The 65 million is primarily windows pc based steam gamers, but it says a lot.

The steamOS is another discussion that ties into steam svc.
The steambox~steamOS doesn't have to be a console port game machine. There are tens of millions of people playing MoBas like DoTA and LoLegends, MMOs, and rpgs during their popularity heights, hundreds of thousands concurrently (DoTA 500k daily not counting korea and china).
The steambox~steamOS provides a simple living room kiosk/console-like interface that could expand the "pc gaming" demographics way beyond the linux tinkerer gamer pool, and beyond even nuanced windowsOS usage gamers. If a good rpg similar to skryim, witcher, etc and/or a popular MMO or two were to jump to linux even in a F2P stage it would change a lot. If source2 eventually comes out with a slew of stuff like HL3, TF3, Portal3, L4D3, CS, etc and yet to be realized popular mods/total conversions... It could change a lot. If future revisions of the oculus rift and its competitors come out with much higher resolutions, the consoles stuck at 1600x900 and 1080p could be found very lacking in a VR environment were view distances, resolution in distance, objects viewable in distance, and texture detail matter much more.
Demographically, the steamOS and especially non-nuanced pre-made steam boxes opens a whole new playing field and can't be compared to the nuanced/tinkerer linux gaming user base prior to it. It may take some time, but I have faith in its potential.

Back