5Ghz Vishera pops up again.

This looks more legit than simple rumors, reminds me of the Athlon Thoroughbred/Barton days when AMD Had much better performance results with latter yields of the same chip. Also notice the slide with Fx-8770....

Last edited:
My Swedish is rusty, but do I see reference to a FX-8770 and a FX-9000?

Rough translation of the page:

"According to data SweClockers takes note of the two new processors in the FX series coming. The new top model, designated FX-9000 and based on the same circuit as the current flagship FX-8350, but the frequencies are significantly higher.

AMD FX-9000 is turned up to full 4.8 GHz and can also step up to 5.0 GHz in turbo mode. The shown frequencies comes at the price of a TDP of 220 watts record high - the highest ever in the consumer market.

The new flagship will be joined by a processor in the current situation called for FX-8770, the exact clock speeds are not known. It's still about a TDP of 220 watts, which suggests that a hefty price hike is in the news also for this model.

AMD is expected to introduce the FX-9000 and FX-8770 at the E3 games show on 11-13 June. Some prices are not yet known. "

Found a page in English:

http://wccftech.com/amd-readies-fx-9000-highperformance-cpu-clocked-5-ghz-fx-8770-leaked/

That 8770 is what I think looks most interesting. If it was something along the lines of the C3 refresh of Deneb back around 2010, that could be pretty nice. A 4.4 base clock with a 5.0 turbo all with better temps and less voltage required for around $225. Id be up for that. Not holding my breath that this is what thatll be but Im gonna hold out hope.

It's an exciting idea to see what AMD is able to squeeze out of Vishera this far into its maturation. Also to see what enthusiasts will be able to further eke out.

However, with TDP well over 200w (probably closer to 300w real world) I wonder if these chips will only serve to further damage AMD's recent reputation among enthusiasts (feed the trolls)

If you're the type of person to drop the cash on these "premium tier" chips, then you've probably already the type of person who pushed a regular Bulldozer or Vishera past 220 watts through overclocking anyway. Putting these in OEM systems would be a no go since the OEMs would have to actually spend more money on boards with an adequate power supply and distribution system on the motherboards. Enthusiest boards should be able to handle these just fine with adequate VRM cooling and strong PSUs.

They're definitely not small form factor friendly though lol

This time around we can only hope it is a joke, but at 220 Watt not sure if that is a good thing from the marketing department then again what marketing department ;) .

I believe AMD should have done this a year ago. With water cooling 140W does not need to be the limit.

AMD is doing it right. Bring on the speed wars where frequency is king! I'd like to see a 4 core 5.5GHz air cooled chip before I die. ;)

The Frequency War is one AMD would lose. Intel is already tailing AMD in raw clock speed, and still has a massive TDP advantage now with Haswell.

The Frequency War is one AMD would lose. Intel is already tailing AMD in raw clock speed, and still has a massive TDP advantage now with Haswell.

Intel is poking around at 3.5GHz stock with Haswell. And a H100 is only good to 4.3GHz - 4.5GHz with Haswell due to having to raise the voltage to over 1.2v to make it stable. I think AMD can be competitive.

My electricity is cheap; $142 last month and the A/C, lights, and PC never cut off. ;)

Last edited:
I don't buy this for a second. The one time either AMD or Intel passed 125w was with the Phenom 965, and that was 140w. When it happened AMD rushed to make the C3 which brought it back down to 125w and they haven't done that since. The idea that they're going to suddenly make chips with roughly double the power consumption is laughable.

Yeah this is pretty funny maybe 400 wattts will be the future! The processor just starts on fire.

LOL. Bonehead.

What's wrong with what I said? 3 am right now and every light is on in the house. Computer is on obviously. Thermostat is set to 66. I could really care less what my processor pulls at the socket.

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=184954&postcount=4

If AMD is to deliver this 220W 4.8-5Ghz stock model, it would be a perfect 20% performance jump from 8350 (with hefty power draw icnrease tho). My point is that with those 20% more performance vs 8350 AMD will jump over 4770K in a lot of benchmarks and considerably close the gap in a great number of them. Now that 4770K runs pretty close to the maximum Turbo all of the time and that it has such a low OC headroom(~4.4-4.5Ghz on air with scorching hot temps), effects of OCing will be at around 10-15% in 4770K's case. The new Vishera might be very good alternative to it since I suppose it will still have some headroom (5-10% more is not impossible).

There is something to say for this. But it is such a small number for people that would buy this cpu not only due to 5ghz and the 220 Watt but also due to price.

Probably fake, BUT if a chip ships at 5.0 ghz, than OCing it to 5.2 or even 5.5ghz wouldn't be asking too much. Most flagship CPUs could get at LEAST 10% out of an overclock.

The only counterpoint to that is that these CPUs may be AGGRESSIVELY binned to the point where they just barely fit into the 5.0ghz range by a hair; pretty much one CPU out of several wafers...

Found a page in English:

http://wccftech.com/amd-readies-fx-9000-highperformance-cpu-clocked-5-ghz-fx-8770-leaked/

That 8770 is what I think looks most interesting. If it was something along the lines of the C3 refresh of Deneb back around 2010, that could be pretty nice. A 4.4 base clock with a 5.0 turbo all with better temps and less voltage required for around $225. Id be up for that. Not holding my breath that this is what thatll be but Im gonna hold out hope.

Weren't the recently-released Richland APUs a tweak to the Piledriver cores used in Trinity APUs to decrease power consumption? My bet is that they're doing the same thing with the desktop lineup. I guess we'll find out in a few days.

I wonder how many motherboard models out there have strong enough VRM design and cooling to handle this thing for a long time... Maybe water cooling companies will introduce new kits, that now have a VRM cooling block too. LOL! Maybe AMD saw the boiling point temperatures of Haswell and said "i can beat that!".

Weren't the recently-released Richland APUs a tweak to the Piledriver cores used in Trinity APUs to decrease power consumption? My bet is that they're doing the same thing with the desktop lineup. I guess we'll find out in a few days.

Those tweaks are between the CPU->GFX.

Anyone have benchmarks on how a 5.0ghz 8350 would compare against the competiton? Would it really beat a stock i7 3770 or 4770?

Seems fake to me. I mean, look at the supposed names. The current scheme is the first digit denotes how many cores/threads the processor has (4xxx for quads, 6xxx for hexa, 8xxx for octo) and the second digit usually denoted which phase of the design they were on (1 and 2 for Zambezi, 3 so far for Vishera), so the FX9000 makes no sense. Unless it were four and a half modules, which wouldn't make any sense lol.

This seems just as much nonsense as the "FX Centurion" rumor that's been going around.

Somebody on another forum posted this pic:

MPnvMkM.jpg

Note it says supports 5GHz FX series. That leads me to think it may be real, but the part number may be wrong.

thats printed on a piece of paper... I checked their website... nothing reflects that

If Gigabyte has enough information to actually alter their product packaging to reflect support for it, it's either on its way or was on its way and killed off just recently. I think the speculation we have been seeing lately may have a grain of truth to it with the rest either being blind guesses or deliberate misinformation to keep Intel guessing what AMD is up to. We all realize Intel holds the performance crown at the moment, but the average Joe isn't going to care if he's shopping for a computer and sees one running at 5Ghz. The bulk of consumers would just assume it was faster than the lower clocked Intel parts based on clock speed alone, much like what happened during the Pentium 4 days.

thats printed on a piece of paper... I checked their website... nothing reflects that
The packing my motherboard came in doesn't match up with Gigabytes web listed specs either so that's not really a smoking gun in itself. I actually wouldn't be surprised if AMD itself is clouding the issue to keep people talking about it. When you gut your entire marketing department as they have, free marketing and publicity in the form of forum discussions and arguments on enthusiast websites can go a long way with little to no cost to them. Even if it ends up being entirely vaporware, it's still keeping us talking about them isn't it?

Looks like a picture of part of a sign at a show, and Computex just started.....
I think we will know one way or another in a few days at most.

no no no, thats held up against the wall of a house, notice the spackle, now compare to your wall.... that is not packaging, that is a white peice of paper, its not thick. I understand there is Hope and excitment, but someone made this to create waves.

no no no, thats held up against the wall of a house, notice the spackle, now compare to your wall.... that is not packaging, that is a white peice of paper, its not thick. I understand there is Hope and excitment, but someone made this to create waves.

Sorry but you seem to be confusing spackling for painted cinderblock. If you don't believe me, go visit a school, jail, or anywhere else made mostly of cinder block construction and see for yourself. That picture clearly shows painted cinder block. You also put spackling on ceilings, not walls. Where is a good place to also find painted cinder block construction? Why in the hallways of convention centers.

He's speaking Turkish but all the native speakers I know are in bed by now lol. The a rough translation of the text on the page hosting the video states "The details of our high-performance AMD FX processor speed 5GHz code named Centurion able to verify. Details in our video."

*crossing fingers this isn't just bullshit*

Okay, so I stand by my assertion that the FX-9000 is still BS, but the Centurion may be real. Either we're being trolled by some clever trolls, or we're being trolled by AMD!

Still, if it's 5.0Ghz out the box, the only way they can get away with selling it at the supposed $700+ is if it can OC much higher than that. FX Piledriver Octocore at 6.5GHz daily? Imagine the benchmarks lol.

Maybe it's a special number because it is shipped with a water cooler? 8000 series +1.

Back