Kinect 2 - an unstoppable juggernaut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spigzone

Limp Gawd
I'm finding when I bring up Kinect 2 people generally just haven't thought through the potential that kind of resolution accompanied by algorithms and programming that can take advantage of it will bring to the table.

Hand movement is utterly intuitive, very fast, extremely accurate and capable of nearly infinite expression. As a controller mechanism it will have an intuitive speed, accuracy and range of subtle depth and breadth no mechanical controller can hope to approach. All that is needed is a mechanism that can READ those hand movements with sufficient resolution, provide sufficient processing power to reduce the lag to near imperceptibility and the programming to make it work on screen. Microsoft with current technology can do the first two and just needs a good start on the third.

The beauty of the Kinect 2 is it will continue to bear fruit far into the future as programmers continue to tap into what is an all but limitless potential.

A child can become a character, be utterly immersed, in a way not possible with mechanical controllers. A character than can mirror every movement and subtle gesture, every facial expression. An art creation program that will allow a child infinite expression to create and manipulate in three dimensional screen space using their own hands and body. Learning to play musical 'air' instruments so accurately it can translate into actual physical instruments. Playing an infinitely variable spatially massive 'Theremin' with their fingers, hands, arms, torso and legs. It's a vast horizon of potential. My imaginative musings have gone far beyond what my words can easily convey.

'Hard core' gamers will be able to aim, move, switch gear, access and select from standardized menus with an intuitive speed and accuracy keyboard and mouse players won't be able to match. Granted the younger set will have a notable kinesthetic advantage, able to learn and accurately use such a system far faster than the older will. The full potential won't be available across the boards immediately, the programming challenge will be steep, but it will evolve over time to become so available.

Standardized menus because it seems logical Microsoft will standardize a set of hand, arm and body movements and spoken commands across games. A defined set of gestures and voice commands to open and interact with menus, pause games, move characters on a screen, change weapons and so on to provide a much needed continuity in such an unlimited landscape.

That is the demonstrated potential I think Nintendo with it's Wii U will find itself contending with in June or so of next year. This is why I think the press, tech and mainstream, will be utterly blown away when they see what the Kinect 2 will be bringing to the table and talk of the Kinect 2 will dominate the conversation thru the holiday season. When people are able to actually SEE the potential of Kinect 2 in action, it will pique imaginations and launch endless fevered speculation.

If Microsoft is far enough along with it's algorithms and programming to convincingly demonstrate a Kinect 2 player dominating a keyboard mouse player in a twitch shooter - well that's just game over. Lord knows what Sony can bring to the table to stay competitive.

So it is I see a very real potential of Wii U sales falling off a cliff by July of 2013 and Nintendo looking at console Armageddon and a river of red ink into the foreseeable future if it tries to stay in the console space.

That is why I see Nintendo out of console hardware by 2015 and a very real potential of Sony, with it's already fairly dire and steadily worsening financial situation, following suit, leaving Microsoft and Valve as the two gorillas in the console space.

But hey, playing Nintendo and Sony first party games on Kinect 2 or SteamBox would be a blast! :cool:

ps. for the 'Uh ... the Kinect SUCKS so Kinect 2 will SUCK too!' types out there, and from my experience to date there's no scarcity, hey, feel free to reactively generalize based on your 'gut' feeling. After all, where would the profiteers need for military cannon fodder be without you?

Last edited:
Wait, wut?

Troll post is troll.

:rolleyes:

Other threads by spigzone:

"How totally will the Xbox 720 rule?"

"A rational argument why Nintendo will not survive to 2015"

And of course this gem here. Haha

Wait, wut?

Troll post is troll.

I provide rational, well thought out arguments in a series of cogent points to back my thread titles.

Trolls don't. They specialize in shallow specious generalizations. Like calling someone a troll based on three thread titles instead of the actual validity of the points the thread posts raise to back the thread titles.

Thread titles are supposed to be worded to spark interest. The test of whether that wording is valid, trollish or flamebait lies in the validity of the points and arguments the opening post makes to back that thread title. If the points and arguments fall on the cogent, rational and logical side of the fence and directly pertain to the thread title, it is a valid title, not a trollish or flamebait title.

The vast majority of your post is based on speculation, conjecture, and rumors, yet you still speak as if those things are facts.

I provide rational, well thought out arguments in a series of cogent points to back my thread titles.

Trolls don't. They specialize in shallow specious generalizations. Like calling someone a troll based on three thread titles instead of the actual validity of the points the thread posts raise to back the thread titles.

Thread titles are supposed to be worded to spark interest. The test of whether that wording is valid, trollish or flamebait lies in the validity of the points and arguments the opening post makes to back that thread title. If the points and arguments fall on the cogent, rational and logical side of the fence and directly pertain to the thread title, it is a valid title, not a trollish or flamebait title.

Andrew Wilkow you are not, your arguments can easily be broken.

Wait, wut?

Troll post is troll.

Is Kinect 2 a kidney punch to PS3 and Nvidia GPUs?

How totally will the Xbox 720 rule?

A rational argument why Nintendo will not survive to 2015

In particular this post in particular looks quite similar to the OP of this thread.

Trolls don't. They specialize in shallow specious generalizations.
You mean similar to how you've speculated about Kinect 2 hardware that hasn't been released yet, but will definitely cause Nintendo to go out of business by 2015?

This guy has a future in MS marketing.

infinite

unlimited

endless fevered speculation.

Kinect 2 player dominating a keyboard mouse player in a twitch shooter

Nintendo looking at console Armageddon and a river of red ink

The vast majority of your post is based on speculation, conjecture, and rumors, yet you still speak as if those things are facts.

Logical well thought out refutations addressing specific points in an opening post is the real test that separates the men from the boys.

Here's what hasn't happened yet ... a single post that makes an actual, thoughtful counter argument to one of the points I raised in my opening post.

Lots of posts bashing my thread - BUT NOT ONE RATIONAL ARGUMENT ADDRESSING A PARTICULAR POINT IN MY OP.

Is there no one here capable of mounting a to the point reasoned cogent argument addressing a specific point in my op?

Perhaps, its more like this - when a chimpanzee throws feces all over the wall, maybe people don't particularly feel the need to address the chimpanzees diet.

Also, did you make points? I only saw rhetoric.

So I went through your post and cut out a lot of rhetoric to try to isolate exactly what you claimed Microsoft will do in the future.

Hand movement is utterly intuitive, very fast, extremely accurate and capable of nearly infinite expression. Microsoft ...just needs a good start on the (programming to make it work on screen).

(Microsoft) programmers...(will continue to) tap into what is an all but limitless potential (of the Kinect 2).

'Hard core' gamers will be able to aim, move, switch gear, access and select from standardized menus with an intuitive speed and accuracy keyboard and mouse players won't be able to match.

Is there no one here capable of mounting a to the point reasoned cogent argument addressing a specific point in my op?

I think this paragraph of yours shows exactly why nobody is trying to discuss anything with you:

A child can become a character, be utterly immersed, in a way not possible with mechanical controllers. A character than can mirror every movement and subtle gesture, every facial expression. An art creation program that will allow a child infinite expression to create and manipulate in three dimensional screen space using their own hands and body. Learning to play musical 'air' instruments so accurately it can translate into actual physical instruments. Playing an infinitely variable spatially massive 'Theremin' with their fingers, hands, arms, torso and legs. It's a vast horizon of potential. My imaginative musings have gone far beyond what my words can easily convey.

There is nothing in this paragraph. There is no reasoned cogent argument in there; in fact, there isn't even a point to it.

Perhaps, its more like this - when a chimpanzee throws feces all over the wall, maybe people don't particularly feel the need to address the chimpanzees diet.

Also, did you make points? I only saw rhetoric.

Like this?

"Hand movement is utterly intuitive, very fast, extremely accurate and capable of nearly infinite expression. As a controller mechanism it will have an intuitive speed, accuracy and range of subtle depth and breadth no mechanical controller can hope to approach. All that is needed is a mechanism that can READ those hand movements with sufficient resolution, provide sufficient processing power to reduce the lag to near imperceptibility and the programming to make it work on screen. Microsoft with current technology can do the first two and just needs a good start on the third."

A series of points utterly pertinent to validating my tread title.

Is there something in this paragraph you disagree with? Consider illogical or undoable? Some part of it you think you can make a reasoned counter-argument to? Do you have any rational counter-arguments to make on any of the above points?

Anything?

Hello?

Buehler?

Like this?

"Hand movement is utterly intuitive, very fast, extremely accurate and capable of nearly infinite expression. As a controller mechanism it will have an intuitive speed, accuracy and range of subtle depth and breadth no mechanical controller can hope to approach. All that is needed is a mechanism that can READ those hand movements with sufficient resolution, provide sufficient processing power to reduce the lag to near imperceptibility and the programming to make it work on screen. Microsoft with current technology can do the first two and just needs a good start on the third."

A series of points utterly pertinent to validating my tread title.

Is there something in this paragraph you disagree with? Consider illogical or undoable? Some part of it you think you can make a reasoned counter-argument to? Do you have any rational counter-arguments to make on any of the above points?

Kinect 2 - an unstoppable juggernaut?

As a controller mechanism it will have

All that is needed...

You are speculating. You have not made an argument in that paragraph, you only said that the Kinect 2 is going to be awesome, and it will to do this and that to get there. How does that constitute any sort of argument?

Anyways, I agree with Monkey God...no real point in this or any of your threads.

So I went through your post and cut out a lot of rhetoric to try to isolate exactly what you claimed Microsoft will do in the future.

I think this paragraph of yours shows exactly why nobody is trying to discuss anything with you:

There is nothing in this paragraph. There is no reasoned cogent argument in there; in fact, there isn't even a point to it.

Do you consider there is a reasoned cogent argument in this reply, in fact is there even a point to it beyond mindless analysis free bashing?

Do you consider there is a reasoned cogent argument in this reply, in fact is there even a point to it beyond mindless analysis free bashing?

But that's the thing...there's nothing to analyze in your post.

You are speculating. You have not made an argument in that paragraph, you only said that the Kinect 2 is going to be awesome, and it will to do this and that to get there. How does that constitute any sort of argument?

Anyways, I agree with Monkey God...no real point in this or any of your threads.

Then why are you here?

This guy has a future in MS marketing.

Hardly.... hasn't made any of us want it. Sides, I know there are quite a few bad MS commercials, but there are many gems. The Kinect one about voice and the shooter commercial are both gold. I doubt this guy would be able to make one or even suggest one that good.

Doesn't matter how cool the tech is, if there aren't any games and it doesn't sell it is screwed.
I like some of the ideas behind it but I'm playing the card of the pessimist here...at least at this stage.

Exactly. You act as if you've been shown the Kinect 2 at Microsoft R&D and managed to leave without being forced to sign an NDA.

Your speculation is ...pure speculation at this point. We have no idea what MS plans to do with the Kinect of if there will even be a Kinect 2 since they could just rebundle the Kinect into the actual console unit instead of having it be a separately mounted device.

Either way , how about we wait until next year when actual , concrete information is released about the next generation Xbox?

Hardly.... hasn't made any of us want it. Sides, I know there are quite a few bad MS commercials, but there are many gems. The Kinect one about voice and the shooter commercial are both gold. I doubt this guy would be able to make one or even suggest one that good.

I never implied Microsoft Marketing was good. Most people don't *want* Windows 8, its just what the hardware comes with.

Best troll of 2012. Just dropped by to pay my respects to you sir. Trolling like a boss.

I never implied Microsoft Marketing was good. Most people don't *want* Windows 8, its just what the hardware comes with.

I never said you implied it was good. What are you talking about? :confused: I said that they are getting good/better, and someone like this guy wouldn't possibly make it in that workplace, when he utterly fails to even convince us........ to any point.

Exactly. You act as if you've been shown the Kinect 2 at Microsoft R&D and managed to leave without being forced to sign an NDA.

Your speculation is ...pure speculation at this point. We have no idea what MS plans to do with the Kinect of if there will even be a Kinect 2 since they could just rebundle the Kinect into the actual console unit instead of having it be a separately mounted device.

Either way , how about we wait until next year when actual , concrete information is released about the next generation Xbox?

Speculation is a primary activity on forums.

'Pure' speculation indicated a total absence of data. That is not remotely the case regarding Kinect 2. Furthermore, I LIKE to speculate, project into the future.

If you have nothing to contribute but fact free specious generalizations attempting, apparently, to get me to quit speculating on future tech, I would suggest you save your time and not bother.

I never said you implied it was good. What are you talking about? :confused: I said that they are getting good/better, and someone like this guy wouldn't possibly make it in that workplace, when he utterly fails to even convince us........ to any point.

From what I've read so far, 'when he utterly fails to even convince us', like Mogli lecturing a tree full of monkeys, isn't that compelling an argument.

Last edited:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back