Microsoft Surface Preorders Sell Out In Under 24hrs

HardOCP News

[H] News
While most tech-savvy people out there are waiting for the "Pro" version to come out, preorders of the Surface RT sold out in under 24 hours. :eek:

Though the odds are against it and pricing seems questionable to some, launch-day preorders for the base model of Microsoft’s (MSFT) debut tablet are already sold out. As of Wednesday morning, less than 24 hours after pre-sales went live at noon on Wednesday, shipping times for the stand-alone 32GB Microsoft Surface tablet slipped to “within 3 weeks.”

Microsoft did state on Tuesday that preorder inventory would be limited

how limited? 10,000? 20000?

take a page from the Apple book. Unannounced numbers, sold out.

I remember when Microsoft Surface was the LCD table they were innovating. Man I miss the days when Microsoft innovated instead of just copying whatever was popular :(.

Who exactly is buying them...i've not even seen anyone say they want one... it's not exactly got the general public all over it, yet they sold out...it's either marketing BS (likely) or BS.

Who exactly is buying them...i've not even seen anyone say they want one... it's not exactly got the general public all over it, yet they sold out...it's either marketing BS (likely) or BS.

I'm already in for one...2 of my coworkers are in as well. Keep bashing MS. I guess bitching about Apple is no longer fun so we need something new to make our pathetically small lives feel like they are worth something.

I'm already in for one...2 of my coworkers are in as well. Keep bashing MS. I guess bitching about Apple is no longer fun so we need something new to make our pathetically small lives feel like they are worth something.

You seem angry about something. So people should just blindly gobble down everything and not use their brains to analyse given information or form opinions? It isn't "bashing MS" it's saying one of their products is bad, nor should it be taken as a personal insult...:p

I want one, but I will hold out for more hands on time with the device from users and reviewers before I plunk down any cash on one. I'd be tempted to plunk down the cash if the Surface RT had the wacom digitizer in it like the Surface Pro will. For what is supposed to be a "high end" concept device to show what Windows 8 tablets could be, it seems really to leave that out. I suppose maybe the Tegra 3 doesn't have the power to handle inking.

As for the pre-orders selling out, it definitely sounds like marketing BS. I would suspect they entered an extremely limited number (10,000 maybe?) in the system to drive up buzz/viral marketing attempt. Pretty lame really.

So there, you have two people in this thread alone who have said they want one.

Er, seems ODD to leave out the wacom digitizer. Also, I guess that makes four people now and not just two. But go ahead and keep hating away.

You seem angry about something. So people should just blindly gobble down everything and not use their brains to analyse given information or form opinions? It isn't "bashing MS" it's saying one of their products is bad, nor should it be taken as a personal insult...:p

So people should blinding listen to you bash MS by saying BS on something you never had any intention of buying, never used, and never touched? Yeah..i'm angry about something; the shear BS of your posts. ;)

Better watch out DeathPrincess ... if MS realizes you didn't get your dose of MS Kool-Aid they will send the MS squad to your house to feed it to you introvenously in your sleep ... the corporate powers don't like people to question their products :D

It isn't "bashing MS" it's saying one of their products is bad, nor should it be taken as a personal insult...:p

I've seen no full reviews, no full hands on demos, nor had any time myself to experience their latest offering. So I'm left a little skeptical when you assert that it is bad so profoundly.

Perhaps you should enter with an open mind, and only judge a product after you had proper utilities to evaluate it first.

For me, the Surface definitely looks interesting. And if it performs admirably, smooth, and has more functionality than the rest of the market I don't see why it wouldn't be a hit. Though I will reserve my judgement until after it has been launched and tested. I suggest you relax a bit and do the same.

Lets see them actually lanch the product and get some real reviews like an [H] review or something. If it is sold out 3 months after actual launch then I will be impressed.

You and 3 others. Not exactly "sell out in 2 seconds" levels of enthusiasm.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this fact. Hardforum doesn't consist of all the people in our nation. Because only 3 people said they want it on hardforum, let alone just in this thread. I doubt that means that it's an undesirable product.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this fact. Hardforum doesn't consist of all the people in our nation. Because only 3 people said they want it on hardforum, let alone just in this thread. I doubt that means that it's an undesirable product.

I always wanted a pony, but they're too damn expensive and their poop are gigantic. I'll wait for a cheaper option, like a dog.

This reeks of a Sony PlayStation-style "sell out." Limit initial supply to a hilariously small batch or units, stir hype like crazy by saying the initial batch "sold out," get people to buy it because "it sold out, it must be great!"

What was their batch size? One thousand? One million?

I'm with everyone else. Until I see this thing in action or read the rave reviews about it, there's no way in hell I'm dropping 5 bills to pre-order a new tablet from Microsoft.

I'd be afraid that M$ would try to force an xbox live gold membership on me like they do with the xbox 360. Sure, I really want to pay M$ so I can use my Netflix/Hulu subscriptions.

I pre-ordered one. Will likely pick up the Surface pro once they're released as well.

I'd be afraid that M$ would try to force an xbox live gold membership on me like they do with the xbox 360. Sure, I really want to pay M$ so I can use my Netflix/Hulu subscriptions.

That won't happen. They don't do that to WP users, won't do it to Win 8/RT users.

There are things I like about Windows 8. I like the new task manager for instance. Even though there are more things I wish they didn't try and change. Issues like the start menu do suck, but not going to get in my way. I'm really intrigued to try out Windows 8 on an actual tablet. RT isn't going to be my flavor, the pro version looks sweet, but may just hold off 6 months to a year to see what comes out, some kind of cellular networking would be great, I know there is an API for it.

I agree with the masses though and feel though limited supplies were very limited to try and build up a hype machine over the product.

I will also add that I feel that Surface is NOT an iPad or Android type of tablet, i.e. just a picture or live background with a bunch of shortcuts or widgets. I feel there is a place for it, and when more people see and use it, this may make a difference. As stated above, Microsoft has been working on Surface before the iPad ever existed.

In a way, I hope MS succeeds in the Surface area, hopefully will start driving prices down as they do seem a little high. I do also feel they are going to have a hard time selling Windows 8 desktop PC's especially to businesses. The new metro/new UI should have just been an app on the desktop versions for those who like it, much like media center for Windows that I never use.

It is funny that Microsoft uses the term "sales" when referring to the Surface, considering that you don't, in fact, acquire the attributes that one usually associates with ownership of something. For example, Microsoft and only Microsoft dictates what you can and cannot install on what is supposedly "your" Surface. Microsoft can also remotely remove software, without your consent.

It is funny that Microsoft uses the term "sales" when referring to the Surface, considering that you don't, in fact, acquire the attributes that one usually associates with ownership of something. For example, Microsoft and only Microsoft dictates what you can and cannot install on what is supposedly "your" Surface. Microsoft can also remotely remove software, without your consent.

Can you send me a link to this article? This is the first time I've heard of anything like that.

I once sold out preorders of my polished turds. I had 5 of them. sold out within the first 5 hours after I put them on ebay.

Well I'm surprised. I figured their pricing was going to sink them, but I guess not. Of course, who knows how many pre-orders there were available. This is only going to encourage MS and the stupid decisions they've been making lately, yippee!

I'm down for a Windows 8 tablet. Just not the RT. I want my PC hardware inside. At least I can then be productive with it and be a "look I got a tablet" douche that you see at Starbucks. Right now, I've just got the Acer A500 Android tablet. Douche status on, but no productivity with it at all.

Keeps cutting out the tiny url I tried to post.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/report-microsoft-ordered-3-5-million-surface-tablets-1C6499266#__utma=238145375.294177712.1345134517.1350401635.1350483912.12&__utmb=238145375.5.10.1350483912&__utmc=238145375&__utmx=-&__utmz=238145375.1350483912.12.12.utmcsr=bing|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=science%20technology%20news&__utmv=238145375.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc|technology%20%26%20science|space=1^12=Landing%20Content=External=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.msnbc.msn.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20External=1&__utmk=93605470

Back