Ebay Bans Sale of Potions & Magic Spells

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just great, now what are we going to do when we need a magic potion or a spell? Damn you eBay, damn you!!!

The following items are also being added to the prohibited items list: advice; spells; curses; hexing; conjuring; magic; prayers; blessing services; magic potions; healing sessions; work from home businesses & information; wholesale lists, and drop shop lists.

Why does eBay care if people want to waste their money or not?

Who says magic potions are any less safe than what gets through the FDA these days? We can't always rely on a hidden fairy to replenish our hearts or a mushroom to turn us into a giant Italian guy.

Potions and magic spells are just as effective as dream catchers and holy water.

At doing nothing.

Why are they banning specific "do-nothing" items?

Probably the people who bought this nonsense QQ'ed a lot to feeBay about how they got nothing for what they bought.

This is extremely upsetting! Etsy stops the sale of human bodily fluids, cutting me off from my suppliers and now, those awful Ebay people are cutting me off from my buyers by banning the sale of potions! I may as well quit my part time job now and just be a full time systems administrator. Well...I won't do that. I'll find another way since I have no desire to spend that much time rummaging in the dumpsters of other companies for replacement servers and workstations.

Still, I'm sure Etsy and Ebay got together on this. Don't they know that most potions are like 90% used bodily fluids?! They must know! They're all out to get me! :(

Man, my occult and witchcraft club is going to have a lack of supplies this coming Halloween. Guess we have to resort to ritual animal sacrifices, homegrown herbs and insects, and homeless people for supplies.

So where the fuck am I going to buy invisibility potions now? Goddamn it, how will I ever appease the Night Mother now? There's no way I can complete these contracts without a few minor invisibility potions...frack!

The censorship on necromancy must stop before it is too late. When the country needs its hoards of undead to fight for it, we shall sit back and laugh at them. Then recoup the dead and rule the world!

Potions and magic spells are just as effective as dream catchers and holy water.

At doing nothing.

Why are they banning specific "do-nothing" items?

Seems closer to banning intangible products. You can still buy dream catchers.

"The following items are also being added to the prohibited items list: advice; spells; curses; hexing; conjuring; magic; prayers; blessing services; magic potions; healing sessions; work from home businesses & information; wholesale lists, and drop shop lists."

They're really just selling sorcery. Not a big deal.

"89% of magic tricks are not magic. Technically, they are sorcery."
427px-FactCore.jpg

Being intolerant of scammers and charlatan is the point.

Why? Who says it's a scam if a person believes and has a favourable psychosomatic response?

Do I have to go to Craigslist now to get my anti banshee force fields?

Does this mean bibles and other religious garbage are banned as well? If so..Best policy ever..if not...hypocrites.

Does this mean bibles and other religious garbage are banned as well? If so..Best policy ever..if not...hypocrites.

Probably not, as it's just a book, not really the same thing. It doesn't claim any healing benefit or medicinal properties. The other religious items have asthetic value even if you have 0 belief in whatever, and you will get what is shown, as long as theres nothing beyond that. So it's not quite the same thing as a service or proposed magic. If it came with miricles or something, then it would be different.

And the phantom transitional fossils, Stephen Jay Gould would like to get his hands on those.

Looking at their policy it is clear they haven't forbid sales of magical weapons...so, I guess I'll add my Vorpal Broad Sword this week, before they change their minds.

I would add the bad of holding as well, but it is already available on sale on thinkgeek. So no high profits for this one.

Probably not, as it's just a book, not really the same thing. It doesn't claim any healing benefit or medicinal properties. The other religious items have asthetic value even if you have 0 belief in whatever, and you will get what is shown, as long as theres nothing beyond that. So it's not quite the same thing as a service or proposed magic. If it came with miricles or something, then it would be different.
wonder how holy water would fare under these new rules

Wait, what? Why?

People should be free to buy whatever they want, don't need to protect the people too moronic to know better. If they're so stupid they buy a healing potion and die, it's probably best to get that out of the gene pool anyway.

People should be free to believe whatever the fuck they want and in turn flush their money down the toilet on what they believe. Isn't that one of the basic rights you yanks have? :p

If you don't know the difference between religion and sorcery, I feel sorry for you.

Think it's safe to file them both in the same bin. ;)

religion [rɪˈlɪdʒən]
n
1. belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny

sor·cer·y (sôrs-r)
n.
1. Use of supernatural power over others through the assistance of spirits; witchcraft.

If you don't know the difference between religion and sorcery, I feel sorry for you.

I'm not trying to be offensive but you have to understand, those of us who truly don't believe in religion don't see a difference between what religious texts claim and what magic is. It's like reading Happy Potter, maybe a good story with many hidden messages, but it's not real. To us religion is all about refusing to even *try* to explain the unknown and opting instead to say it's "god" and you have no right to change anything because god says so for some reason even if he doesn't say so. If you ever visit people in the intensive care unit of a hospital what I'm saying will will really hit you. Of course different religions and sects believe different things but then to people like me that itself doesn't make sense and that is only more reason to take issue with religion. I think it's important that humanity naturally understand religion is dangerous and destructive and people must come to that conclusion on their own otherwise it won't be sincere.

even from a purely atheistic perspective, it's nonsense to compare the world's religious texts with Harry Potter

it takes a severely truncated view of literature and history to make those kinds of cross-comparisons

even from a purely atheistic perspective, it's nonsense to compare the world's religious texts with Harry Potter

it takes a severely truncated view of literature and history to make those kinds of cross-comparisons

I know people take it far more seriously than Harry Potter and yes there is some shred of actual history in some of these texts but the problem is those texts are not about history they are about promoting a belief in a religion. Because of that they hold the same modern significance in my personal life as Harry Potter would. Nothing other than entertainment.

it's not about how seriously people take whatever is in there or whether there are historically significant or truthful events depicted within them, but rather not appearing ignorant about literature by making a comparison that is as banal as claiming Shakespeare and Stephen King novels are analogous in your mind.

it's not about how seriously people take whatever is in there or whether there are historically significant or truthful events depicted within them, but rather not appearing ignorant about literature by making a comparison that is as banal as claiming Shakespeare and Stephen King novels are analogous in your mind.

Funny you say that, because to me Shakespeare is indeed the 17th century equivalent of and even more messed up Days of Our Lives soap opera in a Jerry Springer style lol

just to be clear, I'm not dissing your belief or non-belief but do you think a more critical analysis of religious texts would be to say you view them like the Chinese understand dragons, or Beowulf, or the Iliad?

At least then you are understanding the import of mythology to human civilization; how it conveys meaning and transports particular mores from generation to generation.

Comparing and contrasting sorcery to any other kind of religion doesn't require admission that there is any supernatural truth to either but to say they're all the same and even moreso to lump them with a modern young adult series of novels seems to undermine your analysis.

Yes, Harry Potter is infinitely better written and makes far better sense and has more inner consistency then any of the "bibles" of the world religions. :rolleyes:

Of course, the Hobbit beats Harry's face in. :eek::cool:

Back