Hey AMD, you have my $1100, Can i have some official drivers?

Igg

[H]ard|Gawd
Pretty plz with cheese on top fucking now?

Been a month since street release and still nothing but shitty beta drivers.

3 year old cursor corruption bug is getting old.

Get your damn act together.

Yeah in single card things are fine, the betas feel offical, no errors or instability for me thus far.
I find it stupid that its taken this long and still no results on offical drivers though. For those with MGPU setups it must be frustrating.

Personaly with the single card im not affected but Im still thinking wtf AMD why is this normal process taking so long? Especially since 28nm was delayed what possible reason do they have to lack offical drivers a month after release?

I started a thread very similar to this on Anandtech about a week ago. Where are my drivers????!!!!????

All I can say is, vote with your wallets. Despite their complete incompetence in the driver department, AMD can't keep their cards on the shelf, so they really have no motivation to get their act together.

All I can say is, vote with your wallets. Despite their complete incompetence in the driver department, AMD can't keep their cards on the shelf, so they really have no motivation to get their act together.

I voted by returning mine to amazon. Amd needs to get its shit together.

I voted by returning mine to amazon. Amd needs to get its shit together.

That is the only correct response and the OP needs to do the same.

I refuse to consider for purchase till AMD lowers the price and fixes the driver issues.

Last edited:
I voted my with my wallet as well, sold my 6850 and went to nvidia after not wanting to deal with driver problems anymore. The only downside so far is only 2 displays per card.

I declare this the official pebcak and troll reunion thread. Have at it boys. Oh wait, they already got here. Carry on.

/Back to the Bulls game.

I declare this the official pebcak and troll reunion thread. Have at it boys. Oh wait, they already got here. Carry on.

/Back to the Bulls game.

Yep, just because you haven't had any problems, anyone else having them must be a bunch of morons.

To be honest, I haven't seen a single issue so far aside from my defected one......

As far as I have seen, most of them are user configuration error.....

Are there any drivers out for the 7970s that aren't RC? Didn't think so. Go away AMD sack lickers.

I love my 7970s, but there is no reason for AMD not to have official non-RC drivers out and working.

I'll hop on the train for a moment. I booted my PC this morning to find that my HDD had corruption. Thanks a lot AMD, AMD drivers destroyed my HDD. It didn't stop there. I was upgrading my RAM when I took AMD drivers to the knee. I am typing this on my iPad in the hospital, prognosis is grim, Thanks a lot AMD, get your shit together!

On a serious note, no problems here, other than the Batman: AC cap needing to be updated. Crossfire overclocked to 1165/1700x2, works great. I'm not saying AMD is perfect, they definitely could use more frequent driver updates -- and the 7970 doesn't have catalyst version 12 yet. It doesn't bother me THAT much since all my shit is working, but I think AMD just needs to throw more manpower at the software situation. Hardware is useless without software to improve the user experience, I certainly hope Kyle hammered this point to the contacts he has at AMD.

With that out of the way, do people want WHQL drivers just because? or to fix a problem? RC11 seems fine to me, i've not had any issues (other than Batman). Shrug.

Last edited:
I want eyefinity 2.0 and the rest of the feature set that was promised.

What issues are you guys running into that's breaking the experience for you? I have found one issue and notified AMD of it. I did find a workaround for my issue which to be honest should have been found in QA but it's not a serious bug that keeps me from a good experience. I look forward to seeing what AMD can do with their drivers, but for right now my 7970's still kick some serious ass

What issues are you guys running into that's breaking the experience for you? I have found one issue and notified AMD of it. I did find a workaround for my issue which to be honest should have been found in QA but it's not a serious bug that keeps me from a good experience. I look forward to seeing what AMD can do with their drivers, but for right now my 7970's still kick some serious ass
Some of the issues in this thread are sensationalized by green fans (pretending to have owned cards and such), only problem i've had was Batman: AC needing an updated CAP. I have not tried eyefinity crossfire though, i'm only using a single screen

They have my $2290 with my Quad 7970s.. I'll wait a little while longer as long as there worth the wait. If Nvidia comes out with way better cards then i'll jump back to Nvidia.. So ATI/AMD spend that money wisely and pay for some top of the line programers!

I always thought that the guys in 2nd always put worth that much more effort to take the lead.. Come on AMD, you got my attention and my system is loaded now unlease the beast with some great drivers so i can finally run QuadFire 7970s on BF3 Full maxed settings in eyefinity!

Wow, you have quad 7970s for three 23" Acers? Unless you're playing games, bitcoin mining and hash cracking at the same time, what a waste...

I voted my with my wallet as well, sold my 6850 and went to nvidia after not wanting to deal with driver problems anymore. The only downside so far is only 2 displays per card.

Likewise. I had two 5850's, which were wicked fast, but the driver problems drove me insane. Upgraded to the two 560 Ti's I have now, and everything has been peachy. AMD has some real impressive hardware, but their drivers are just a joke.

Wow, you have quad 7970s for three 23" Acers? Unless you're playing games, bitcoin mining and hash cracking at the same time, what a waste...

What a dumb statement. . . YOU do realize that it takes allot of power to Max out BF3, Witcher 2, etc. at 5760x1080/1200?

Some of us like triple digit FPS when playing on NVSurround/Eyefinity setups.

What a dumb statement. . . YOU do realize that it takes allot of power to Max out BF3, Witcher 2, etc. at 5760x1080/1200?

I agree with your statement. Does the Witcher 2 work in eyefinity with AMD cards now? Last I heard (at least post patch - there was a Hayden fix for a while -- very early on), it was software locked to only work with NV cards. CD Projekt was one of my favorite devs until that move.

Some of us like triple digit FPS when playing on NVSurround/Eyefinity setups.

Right on bro.. yes eyefinity everything maxed is why i bought the 4th card from 3. :) 17 years in computers here.. if i wanted single monitor with BF3 i'd stop at 2 cards to run maxed settings. You need top of the line for max eyefinity.. well 3 cards is close and maybe 3 cards overclocked (have not tried yet till water cooling today). More the marrier i say!

Normally i just would'nt run max settings or with AA but BF3 is the first game that makes me want/need max everything cause its so incredably awesome looking and life like with everything maxed.. I gota have the realizim while playing online and dont care one bit that it may hurt my frag rate online! haha. Love that game!

I agree with your statement. Does the Witcher 2 work in eyefinity with AMD cards now? Last I heard (at least post patch - there was a Hayden fix for a while -- very early on), it was software locked to only work with NV cards. CD Projekt was one of my favorite devs until that move.

Tried that game the first time the other day and was working for me in eyefinity EDIT: landscape mode.

Portrait Eyefinity still works, but in landscape mode it defaults to single screen mode. I sold off my 470's back in August, so I don't know if this holds true or not, but Landscape Surround works. In NV Portrait mode, it tries to force landscape mode with huge bars on the top and bottom. Hayden's fix did not correct this the last time I tested the game.

Early adopters always get burned and we all know AMD is classically slow on ironing out bugs. I never got satisfactory Eyefinity until I went from my 5870 to very mature 6950 setup. That took like 2 years!
I'm guessing 7970 drivers will finally be decent when the next gen comes out.

Works in portrait mode for sure, but crashes with crossfire.

New Mobo/Cpu/Ram and windows install, and same issue, driver crashes with crossfire enabled.

Is there a way to submit a bug report?

All I can say is, yeah I was pissed off initially.....two new cards.....no official driver set?
What the fuck here guys?

But, and I will preface this because I have only done limited testing so far, the cards are beasts.

I have a 1.125 GHz clock, 1500 MHz on memory..........and am currently playing through Metro 2033 again, but this time in DX11 with everything "on" using AAA and 5670 x 1200 Eyefinity..... average FPS 80-90. Holy shit.....

Last time I played this game I was limited to 1920 x 1200 using Crossfired 5870 E6 models.

I really can't complain. The beta drivers seem to work fine. But I sure would take some official drivers with all the fancied up EyeFinity changes.;)

It has been over a month since AMD launched its new Radeon HD 7970 video card (here) yet consumers are still stuck using beta drivers. We talked about this very issue weeks ago but, with no official drivers to be found anywhere, the natives seem to be getting restless. Are you a Radeon owner waiting on official drivers? Why not weigh in with your thoughts in this forum thread, everyone else already is.

+1. 4X 7970 Quad-Fire here also with 3X 30'' LCDs and everything is working fine. ;)

So if I can get this overly complicating system working fine, with 4 MCP655 pumps, 30 feet of tubing and 4 liters of water, I also call PEBKAC on whiners.

Learn 2 install/config. :)

AMD . . . .just like Fallout and Skyrim games. . .wait until weeks or months after the release so you buy what works properly for the hard earned money you fork over. Giving these companies early profits for non fully functional products sets a bad precedent and they continue the practice.

AMD dropped the ball on the drivers?

The hell you say.

Exactly. This is why after 12 years of ATi/AMD cards I bought a GTX 580. I feel that AMD's hardware is as good as any, but they will never get that the drivers and the CCC just suck. :(

Just chiming in, crossfire does not work in SWTOR at the moment, after the 1.1 patch adding antialiasing. Which also reminds me of how poor ati's AA implementations are... Which reminds me of the issues I had with BF3 at release... which also reminds me of still existing skyrim issues.

Fact of the matter is, I've gotta switch between 2-3 driver versions for 3-4 games I regularly play. I know nvidia is not without fault (both camps have issues with dual cards setups for new releases), but damnit it seems like ati is constantly bandaid'ing the problem instead of SOLVING it.

Hardware is awesome and value is usually great but I'm waiting on nVidia's next. The driver problems I've had with ATi/AMD are frustrating. I rarely had issues with my nvidia cards in the past.

I purchased a 7970 on release day. I've been concerned by the lack of driver releases in the month since, but I've honestly not run into any issue's that would require a fix so far. Then again I'm only running a single 1920x1200 screen and mostly just playing BF3.

Wasn't there a rumor of AMD trimming down their driver development teams a short while back for cost-cutting reasons?

Nvidia pulled this same shit on their top end 8800s when Vista came out. We were stuck using windows drivers for months.

So irritating..Seriously is it that hard to get a driver package out the door?

Likewise. I had two 5850's, which were wicked fast, but the driver problems drove me insane. Upgraded to the two 560 Ti's I have now, and everything has been peachy. AMD has some real impressive hardware, but their drivers are just a joke.

AMD driver install process is sloppy. When it's time to uninstall or update the drivers, it's just a PITA.
Great hardware, but bad support for it. The 5970 was a nightmare for me at launch, 5850s were also a sloppy process to maintain.
My single 6870 and 6950 were great though, but would never go CF again.

AMD driver installs doesn't need to embedded folders everywhere, which sometimes requires third party programs and safe mode to remove.
Ridiculous. I'm getting closer to buying a "single" 7970, but I ready don't want to pay $550-600 for marginal support.

Back