Been troubleshooting for days, can't figure it out =/

Ok, I built my rig a few days ago from scratch...after it was all built and everything installed I put some games on it to test out its horsepower...ive been nothing but dissapointed and I really can't figure out what the hell is going on, here are some things that are bothering me that I can't figure out:

System specs:

Lga 2011 Assassin2 Motherboard
I-7 3960x PSU
EVGA Classified GTX 590 Video card
4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram (16gb)
128GB OCZ SSD

1. I'm only getting like 60-80 FPS in WoW in cities and even dropping to 40 or 50 at times...100-120 inside instances with vsync off, with it ON I am getting 50-60 (I feel it should never hit 50)

2. I'm getting about 70-80 FPS in Crysis and it seems like theres some slowdown every now and then, also if I turn the camera really fast for a split second its a little blurry and then it becomes clear after the high resolution is rendered, wtf?

3. All games have excessive tearing and wave like effects due to this shitty monitor, but even with vsync off I feel I should NOT be going below 60fps with this setup.

4. Very low scores on benchmark tests, for example on 3dmark im getting around 9300 marks, whereas I see people with worse setups scoring much higher.

5. In these games I often ask other players what their FPS is and they're always getting massive numbers, for example if I ask anyone in WoW they're getting like 230 FPS with Gtx 580s and shit, why should I be getting so low and even dropping to 40-50 with a 590?

6. The Windows "Welcome screen" takes a long ass time (like 10-15 seconds) to boot up before it opens desktop, I feel with these specs I should be at my desktop in like 3 seconds after I turn on my computer, and I wrong?

I built this rig to have the best of everything money can buy as far as gaming hardware, and I have been nothing but dissapointed...I don't think any hardware is physically damaged as I have no knowledge of things like a video card "kind of" working, it either does or if it doesn't its apparent with shit like artifacts or BSOD, etc.

I have OCD and things like this really bother me, I want to make sure every part is working 100%, and I feel a setup like this should be performing like a champ with instant loading on everything and max fps with ultra settings at any game played....if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. preferably on AIM or something if not here. Thanks

Last edited:
There are several things that can generally drag a fast computer down. I really hope you got a good 1000 watt power supply. What OS? Shoot my old platter drives do better at power up than your system is doing with an SSD. Which OCZ SSD is it?

There are several things that can generally drag a fast computer down. I really hope you got a good 1000 watt power supply. What OS? Shoot my old platter drives do better at power up than your system is doing with an SSD. Which OCZ SSD is it?

Its really just gaming, everything seems fast for the most part but im not getting good performance in games, load times and shit are fine, but low FPS and choppyness at times, etc

I have the Corsair gamers edition 800w PSU and Windows 7, 64-bit

SSD is the Vertex-3...the one that said "Fastest tested benchmarks" on newegg

What resolution?

70-80fps doesn't sound too far off for Crysis. I was probably around there or even lower at 2560x1600 with 2xGTX580, with dips into the 50s or even high 40s not uncommon. Pretty sure the problem with everything staying out of focus for a split second after you turn the camera is just a bug in the full-screen motion blur effect. Turn it right down and it shouldn't be noticeable (but not off, or you'll lose object motion blur as well).

I don't know much about 3DMark or WoW, but make sure you're running exactly the same settings and resolution before comparing scores or framerates. I think I remember hearing about a setting or two in WoW that'll cut your fps in half, or worse.

Only thing I can suggest is to make sure everything's as it should be in your driver settings. More than once I've done something like leave 4xSSAA on by accident, and wondered why my framerate is tanking... And SLI seems to turn itself off with every driver update, so that's worth a look.

What resolution?

70-80fps doesn't sound too far off for Crysis. I was probably around there or even lower at 2560x1600 with 2xGTX580, with dips into the 50s or even high 40s not uncommon. Pretty sure the problem with everything staying out of focus for a split second after you turn the camera is just a bug in the full-screen motion blur effect. Turn it right down and it shouldn't be noticeable (but not off, or you'll lose object motion blur as well).

I don't know much about 3DMark or WoW, but make sure you're running exactly the same settings and resolution before comparing scores or framerates. I think I remember hearing about a setting or two in WoW that'll cut your fps in half, or worse.

Only thing I can suggest is to make sure everything's as it should be in your driver settings. More than once I've done something like leave 4xSSAA on by accident, and wondered why my framerate is tanking... And SLI seems to turn itself off with every driver update, so that's worth a look.

1600x900 resolution, and as far as games like WoW I was under the impression that I could max out everything whether it be global video card settings or in game settings and have flawless topped out FPS even on games like crysis

What power supply are you using?

Is there any OC on the cpu?

What version of windows are you using?

The screen tearing usually means you need to enable v-sync, which will cap the frame rate around 60 fps. Without v-sync you should get ridiculously high frame rates, but you will have to live with the tearing.

at 1600x900, a much lesser system will play every game at max settings.

What power supply are you using?

Is there any OC on the cpu?

What version of windows are you using?

The screen tearing usually means you need to enable v-sync, which will cap the frame rate around 60 fps. Without v-sync you should get ridiculously high frame rates, but you will have to live with the tearing.

at 1600x900, a much lesser system will play every game at max settings.

No overlocking on anything

Windows7 64-Bit

I know, I explained my framerates with and without vsync

I agree, no clue why im getting shitty performance with such low res

285 series drivers have known issues, but was released for compatibility with BF3; you could try going back to 280 series. Also, people with 2 580's have quite a bit more power than your single 590 because they downclocked the GPUs due to heat issues. As for Windows boot and application launch performance, my mind drifts more towards SSD and controller drivers and RAM timings.

Also, WoW performance drops for everybody in cities. I have a 560ti and use vsync with a solid 60 everywhere except Org where it drops to ~40.

Ok I went into the nVIdia options and set it back to "factory default settings" (I had maxed EVERYTHING) and am now jumping up to 250, 350fps in WoW (lowest is like 70).....im not sure WHAT option was enabled to give such low frames in WoW but damn, I was under the impression that with this kind of horsepower I could crush a game like WoW with max EVERYTHING, am I wrong?

Also, with these settings im getting 70ish FPS in Crysis with drops to 50 here and there, does that seem about right?

That doesnt explain why it takes windows forever to boot up (the welcome screen) among other things though, and theres also no excuse considering the resolution im using

i don't recommend using the driver options to set the game quality settings. Keep this default. And just change the game settings... Increases compatibility in the long run...

i don't recommend using the driver options to set the game quality settings. Keep this default. And just change the game settings... Increases compatibility in the long run...

This is probably the best advice ive gotten thus far, you've been extremely helpful man (other thread too) I appreciate it...thank you

Lol, so my card is probably actually running fine and I just thought otherwise due to my OCD and having maxed in global?

yeah, its REALLY easy to forget the quality settings you set in the driver options, and then later realize your not having a great gaming experience.

But, No problem on the help... I'll be honest I never come around these parts... I'm in Genmay normally... lol :p I really haven't helped much...

some chipsets have a delay with SSD's after you turn on your computer. Intel specifically. Mine takes like 30 seconds to get to the POST and then windows loading screen. The windows loading screen is gone within 3 seconds max.

Something is wrong with your setup.

Try booting in safe mode man, see how long the windows welcome screen takes.

for your windows loading problem.
Download crystal disk mark and gives us the numbers it's giving you.

Also, did you download the newest chipset drivers for your mobo? If you have, have you tried using the previous version maybe?

I'm curious as well. The WoW issue was obvious - forcing everything to the max and adding the highest quality AO and supersampling can bring any game to it's knees even with great hardware.

As for the other problems - have you installed the proper chipset drivers? Sounds like device "traffic" isn't being directed properly. It's often a good idea to use the specific drivers your mobo manufacturer provides instead of whatever vanilla drivers Windows might install for you initially, especially with such new hardware. Also look in the BIOS and make sure your storage device settings are good. Is the SSD the only hard drive in the system? Check that it's plugged into the number 1 SATA port either way and also be sure to disable the hot plug feature for that drive in the BIOS.

OP, you should update us. How you doing?

Not too bad, I guess maybe I just expected too much from my new rig I built, I never thought a setup like this would EVER reach 40fps in something like WoW, and I didn't think I would *see* things being rendered (appearing out of thin air) or going below 60fps in something as old as crysis...I thought that with this setup I could run any game flawlessly...again, I guess I expected too much

Not too bad, I guess maybe I just expected too much from my new rig I built, I never thought a setup like this would EVER reach 40fps in something like WoW, and I didn't think I would *see* things being rendered (appearing out of thin air) or going below 60fps in something as old as crysis...I thought that with this setup I could run any game flawlessly...again, I guess I expected too much

In WoW from my experience the shadows really kill performance, after turning those down some the fps seemed to go back up.

I have an SSD also and it takes a bit before my system posts, but once it does i'm at my desktop before the windows animation finishes. I would Not recommend benching your SSD with CrystalDiskMark as it writes a ton of incompressible data to the drive and will noticeably slow down the drive each time you run it, and the only way to regain "fresh out of the box" performance on it would be to wipe it to original factory condition it using SecureErase or a similar program.

I have an SSD also and it takes a bit before my system posts, but once it does i'm at my desktop before the windows animation finishes. I would Not recommend benching your SSD with CrystalDiskMark as it writes a ton of incompressible data to the drive and will noticeably slow down the drive each time you run it, and the only way to regain "fresh out of the box" performance on it would be to wipe it to original factory condition it using SecureErase or a similar program.
Crystal disk mark gives you an option of how much space to use at the very top, by default it's at 1000mb, which isn't very much. I've run crystal disk mark several times on my 80gb intel and it's the same score everytime. Does your score actually decrease every time? I've never heard of this issue. Google didn't shed any light on it either.

Yes, when I first got my SSD i went a little benchmark crazy on it, ran CDM on default, tweaked a few settings, ran it again, tweaked some more, benched some more. I noticed my 1st scores were the best and couldn't match them in any subsequent benches. From my understanding CrystalDiskMark on the default 5x1000MB test actually writes 18-20GB of incompressible data, and can cause the drives controller to throttle the drive back to ensure longevity.
Im not sure if this is an issue with Intel's SSD's controller or not.
There are a few posts at OCZ forums about it.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?82074-Write-speed-has-dropped-way-down
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...es-my-Vertex-2-240G-have-so-slow-write-speed&

I know it doesnt seem too off but your framerates do still seem low for running it at such a low resolution, IMO. I run at 2560x1440 and I get higher rates than that with most everything maxed.

And jsut ot be clear you are not running that resolution x3 monitors???

Few things to note/check:
Is your SSD Firmware up to date?
Bios firmwware? (This can affect your SATA controller firmware)
Are you running up to date/the best controller drivers in Windows for that SSD? - Some SSD's have been known to have issues (lag BSOD etc) with particular controller drivers, just look at the P8P67 controller fiascos. Using the built in Windows drivers isnt usually the best.

Try BETA drivers for your card - the SLI in one cards have always been renound for issues and the 590 is still new enough to be working out the bugs.
Did you OC your video card? If so hows your cooling? Even if you didnt how hot is it?
Did you firmware tweak your card at all? If so, when I did with mine I had micro stuttering that drove me mad.
I know it's easy but are you running antivirus or anti spwyare?
Someone already asked do you have sufficient power? That can cause it to slow down.

What memory timings/frequency is your memory set at? It could have defaulted to low 1066? I have seen systems slow down from timings that weren't friendly to the memory/board/CPU combo.

That board also has multiple SATA controllers & speeds for each controller. Are you running on the Marvell controller perhaps? Or the intel? NO matter which one you are on, are you on the SATA3 ports or the SATA2 ports?

Windows should feel smooth but that's because of the SSD.

Remember synthetic benchmarks are just that.

I'll think of more.

I know it doesnt seem too off but your framerates do still seem low for running it at such a low resolution, IMO. I run at 2560x1440 and I get higher rates than that with most everything maxed.

And jsut ot be clear you are not running that resolution x3 monitors???

Few things to note/check:
Is your SSD Firmware up to date?
Bios firmwware? (This can affect your SATA controller firmware)
Are you running up to date/the best controller drivers in Windows for that SSD? - Some SSD's have been known to have issues (lag BSOD etc) with particular controller drivers, just look at the P8P67 controller fiascos. Using the built in Windows drivers isnt usually the best.

Try BETA drivers for your card - the SLI in one cards have always been renound for issues and the 590 is still new enough to be working out the bugs.
Did you OC your video card? If so hows your cooling? Even if you didnt how hot is it?
Did you firmware tweak your card at all? If so, when I did with mine I had micro stuttering that drove me mad.
I know it's easy but are you running antivirus or anti spwyare?
Someone already asked do you have sufficient power? That can cause it to slow down.

What memory timings/frequency is your memory set at? It could have defaulted to low 1066? I have seen systems slow down from timings that weren't friendly to the memory/board/CPU combo.

That board also has multiple SATA controllers & speeds for each controller. Are you running on the Marvell controller perhaps? Or the intel? NO matter which one you are on, are you on the SATA3 ports or the SATA2 ports?

Windows should feel smooth but that's because of the SSD.

Remember synthetic benchmarks are just that.

I'll think of more.

I sent you a PM

I think it's funny that the OP is one of, if not, the only person on this forum that has his name written LiKe ThIs.

Back