Asus PA238Q - 23" IPS

so this isnt the 6bit E-IPS that most all of the other 23 inch IPS are using?

I feel like this has been repeated over and over, but... e-IPS has never been a technical term, it's just a marketing term to designate low cost, energy efficient IPS panels. So is P-IPS for higher end wide gamut panels.
The current technology of every available IPS panel on computer monitors is H-IPS, including derivatives like UH-IPS. Display manufacturers do not specify the exact type in their product spec sheets, but resort to calling it e-IPS, P-IPS or even just IPS. None of these terms are wrong, they're just unspecific.

This new 23" Asus display is very likely to use either the LG LM230WF2 (CCFL) or LG LM230WF3 (LED) "e-IPS" panel since these are the only 23" 16:9 IPS panels known so far. Both of them are 6-bit + FRC.

I feel like this has been repeated over and over, but... e-IPS has never been a technical term, it's just a marketing term to designate low cost, energy efficient IPS panels. So is P-IPS for higher end wide gamut panels.
The current technology of every available IPS panel on computer monitors is H-IPS, including derivatives like UH-IPS. Display manufacturers do not specify the exact type in their product spec sheets, but resort to calling it e-IPS, P-IPS or even just IPS. None of these terms are wrong, they're just unspecific.

This new 23" Asus display is very likely to use either the LG LM230WF2 (CCFL) or LG LM230WF3 (LED) "e-IPS" panel since these are the only 23" 16:9 IPS panels known so far. Both of them are 6-bit + FRC.

Well then what are we supposed to refer to them as? Do you have a link showing that all current IPS are H-IPS?

AFAIK, there are 23" IPS panels that are 8bit native, such as the NEC EA231WMi.

AFAIK, there are 23" IPS panels that are 8bit native, such as the NEC EA231WMi.

That is obviously correct. Still, I'd be surprised to see the 8-bit version of the LM230WF2 panel return. The newer LED backlit 23" panel is 6-bit only so I'd suspect that 6-bit IPS will establish as a new low-cost standard.

That is obviously correct. Still, I'd be surprised to see the 8-bit version of the LM230WF2 panel return. The newer LED backlit 23" panel is 6-bit only so I'd suspect that 6-bit IPS will establish as a new low-cost standard.

Well I hope it does return. Being that Asus is marketing this as a ProArt monitor, ostensibly geared toward graphic/photo editors, they would do well to make sure it's an 8bit panel.

I hate these new e-IPS cheapo panel standard being forced upon us. 6bit, loosened quality control, higher instances of backlight bleeding etc, color tinting etc.

If this is the same panel as the U2311h, I only hope it's not as bad with the inconsistent brightness across the screen.

I hate these new e-IPS cheapo panel standard being forced upon us. 6bit, loosened quality control, higher instances of backlight bleeding etc, color tinting etc.
That's not neccesarily the panel's fault. A cheap IPS is capable, and 6bit panels are, for the majority of users, beyond adequate. Finally, they, in my experience, exhibit less input lag and ghosting (meaning a wider application of use!)

Now, the quality control on those low-end IPS (and LCD displays in general) is abysmal by any other industry's standards

prad.de said that will lauch in end august and the price will be around 359€ in germany :eek:

Just put an order in at Amazon, should be here Tuesday. I'll try and post some impressions. I have an HP ZR22w to compare it to as well. I have to admit this ASUS sounds almost too good to be true.

This sounds like perfect monitor to me if response time is good enough. I can't wait to see the reviews.

I've got three of the of the PA246Q's (the 24" 16:10 version of those) and I love them. While they're very similar to my U2410's I think the AG coating is a bit better on these, they also seem to have more fine tuning options available. The only downside of course is that they're 16:9, but if that's your thing they should be good displays. It looks like they went with thinner bezels on those, that's definitely a plus.

I currently have 21.5" 1080p display and I would like to have tiny bit larger display (text size...). I personally prefer 23" 1080p displays over 24" 1920x1200 displays.

Any news or reviews on this monitor? I can't decide between this or the U2412M.

When what? I believe that they start shipping next month.

I got mine in on Monday, and I hate to say it but I'm going to send it back. There is a lot to like about this monitor. The colors are great out of the box, the AG coating is very minimal (barely there), it has a ton of inputs and a headphone jack, it can do PIP, fast response time, the stand is very adjustable, etc. etc. Unfortunately the amount of back light bleed and the poor uniformity of the back light in general is unacceptable. The top-right and bottom-left glow noticeably even with a lighter, non-black background. There's also a noticeable diamond shaped pattern to the way the panel is lit that you can see even on a white page. This monitor is also very, very bright. Even at 0 brightness it's almost as bright as my HP monitor at 100. I can only hope this isn't going to be the standard for LED back lit panels going forward. I'm kind of amazed that back light issues still plague LCD tech so many years later.

Honestly, I own one of those popular cheap ASUS monitors on newegg. Everyone raves at how great they are but its anything besides that.

One of my main gripes are the damn bleeding, luckily I only bought it for my parents so... :)

Last edited:
hmmm...only 645,5:1 contrast ?

bwpoe2gk1izxsaj9u.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not surprised about the reports of backlight bleeding. Though some people earlier in the thread would like you to believe that e-IPS is the same as H-IPS, just as capable blah blah, the fact is that the quality control is way less, evidenced by these reports which is why it's called e-IPS and not H-IPS! They don't call it a different name for nothing.

Back