Samsung S24A650

Tup3x

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven't seen any threads about this display (Samsung S24A650) yet (am I blind?). Some stores started listing this here in Finland. Costs around 300€. I'm pretty interested to see how this compares to Asus PA238Q.

Screen Size: 24"(16:9)
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Brightness: 250cd/㎡
Contrast Ratio: 3000:1 (static)
Response time: 8ms(GTG)
Viewing Angle(Horizontal/Vertical): 89°/89°(R/L), 89°/89°(U/D)
Color Supported: 16.7 Million (true 8-bit)

Taken from Finnish Samsung site.
http://www.samsung.com/fi/consumer/...dex.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

On top of that there's Samsung C24A650 and Samsung S27A650 too.

VA something panels for sure. One source says that they are S-PLS screens but I somewhat doubt that.

Last edited:
They are VA screens.

I am really hoping Samsung has made at least some amount of progress on overdrive from the F2380MX.

If there is half-decent overdrive in this monitor, combined with everything being the same from the F2380MX, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

They're marketing it as business monitor so that doesn't sound too good when it comes to response time.

Well to be fair, Samsung markets anything that isn't TN as a "business" monitor.

It looks like they come in stock here in the UK on the 30th (same day as the PLS comes into stock). Hopefully within the next week we should see some reviews.

Okay, turns out this panel is semi-glossy with the same coating as the 850 series which is good news.

Bad news: it has NO OVERDRIVE WHATSOEVER. That's an epic fail on the part of Samsung.

Samsung Germany lists them as MVA, so I wouldn't compare it too much with the F2380MX off the bat. I'm wondering if the S27A650D uses the same panel as the iiyama X2775HDS - presumably supplied by AU Optronics.

i personally think the S24A650 will also have the Optronics M240HW02 V1 - panel... like iiyama x2472hd or these:
bwxyxahq4roccg36a.gif

AUO says that their AMVA panels can achieve a response time of <5ms.
http://www.auo.com/?sn=198&lang=en-US

Last edited:
why do you know that? according to the manual (at www.samsung.com) there is an overdrive-option (fast, faster, fastest) in menu...

The manual includes the 850 series (and under overdrive, mentions that it depends on the model). I was under the impression that there is no overdrive options on the 650 series.

The manual includes the 850 series (and under overdrive, mentions that it depends on the model). I was under the impression that there is no overdrive options on the 650 series.

yes i also noticed that...
bx119yy8nfrfyxcfa.gif
bx11dvcv02j4b9u06.jpg

but i do not think that a non-overdriven mva-panel can achieve 8ms response time.
maybe some models only can turn it on/off instead of normal/faster/fastest or SA650 has enabled overdrive as standard.

Last edited:
From the S24A850 review, it has response time setting of "Normal", "Faster", and "Fastest". Not looking good for this monitor since it will likely not have any response time settings, as I thought.

i bought this monitor now...
it definitely has overdrive...i can choose between normal, fast, faster.

response time is not as good as e.g. dell u2412m but it´s ok for me...i don´t realize it in practice (i´m not a gamer).
i would say it´s even better than my old samsung 940b (with tn-panel).

it has very deep black and good backlight uniformity, very light AG coating.
i turned brightness to 15 because 100 is too much.

but one strange thing i also had with s24a450bw:
some blue-tones look too violett i think --- that´s very strange. all other colours look good for me.

facebook logo should be pure blue normally - or am i wrong?

edit: if i turn down red-gamma within my intel graphics driver it looks more blue.

Last edited:
Can you please post some pics of it on? Maybe to see how the black levels are? Or maybe post a little clip on YouTube of motion to see if any blurring?

i only have a very cheap smartphone - the pics look very bad - so it wouldn´t help you.
i tried to make a video but my camera is so bad that blurring looks worse on video as in real..

i can say it´s much better than this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT6C6bp1oEM&feature=related

this violet color thing is really strange... i had it on S24A450BW too... on my old samsung 940b and on 226bw at work facebook looks blue not violet.

this monitor would be perfect for me....if there wasn´t this violet-color thing. maybe i will send it back - i will check blue colors again tomorrow at work....

Last edited:
Do you notice any difference between Normal, Fast and Faster response times?

Can you also confirm it is semi-glossy?

yes there is a difference between normal, fast and faster

e.g. in this trailing test (black/white):
http://tft.vanity.dk/monitorTest_scale.html

if i move the black square on grey background:
with fastest i can see some white ghosting (shadow)...with normal there is more black ghosting (shadow).
for me "fast" is best setting.

i think dark on dark has more ghosting than dark on bright.

i would say it´s semy glossy.
the nearer i hold may hand (or whatever) to the monitor the more it reflects - if you sit about 50cm away there is almost no reflection...

there is no dirty/glitter look like on ips-panels (e.g. u2412m)

Last edited:
ok - i will send it back.
it´s not possible (for me?) to get nice blue colors.

Too bad, because apart from that it´s a very nice display.

Do you have a proper calibrating tool? Where did you buy the monitor from? Did you notice any ghosting in videos?

i bought it from a german online-shop.

i have no calibrating tool... but no other monitor i use has this problem (only S24A450BW and S24A650D).

it was not possible for me to get pure-blue colors (e.g. on www.facebook.com) with those displays.
may be it´s a problem with my intel HD3000 graphic in combination with samsung SA(4)(6)50 monitors - i don´t know.
Preconfigured gamma settings on monitor (Gamma1, Gamma2, Gamma3) didn´t help.
I tried a lot of combinations of RGB values...blue always had a violet tone.

i googled for "blue" with google-picture-search and got only violet pics ;-)

setting gamma down to 0.8 with my intel driver-tool helped a little bit - but other colors suffered from that.

Last edited:
You are using DVI I assume? I would reinstall/update the video driver before I exchange it.

yes i use DVI.

i reinstalled the driver... and even installed a newer version.
light blue is ok...but some blue tones (like facebook) look violet... very strange.

i deleted all ICC profiles and tried calibrating it with integrated windows 7 display calibration.
nothing worked.. now i use my old samsung 940b and blue colors are blue now.

they tested the C27A650 version:
http://lcd.sanhaostreet.com/NewsData/2011/9/20119159356296.shtml

maybe it has to do with missing blue/green color-space? i don´t think but who knows...
white=srgb
red=C27A650
http://images.sanhaostreet.com/News/2011/9/20110915090439939.jpg

Last edited:
waiting eagerly...

would be nice if someone could test it in combination with intel HD3000 graphics too...

did you get it already?

are you satisfied?

I ordered from a German website (I live in the UK), but they messed me around for a week because they thought I was scamming them.

Re-ordered from the UK, I will have it on Saturday.

Finally got it. I must say, these new Samsung monitors have excellent design. Excellent stand, thin bezel, and good looking monitor without a blinding power LED.

In terms of the monitor, it seems acceptable to me so far. There is some ghosting, but not nearly as bad as the Samsung F2380MX. I am using the "Faster" response time setting.

I have the S27A650 btw.

@tokie

do you have good blue colors?
is "facebook blue" accurate or does it have a violet tone?

Last edited:
The blue is accurate, no violet tone.

Edit: maybe you just got a bad sample? Did you exchange for another?

which graphics card do you have?

i returned my S24A650D and S24A450BW because facebook blue had a light violet tone.
i searched "blue" with google and got only violet pictures ;-)

i think it has to do with my intel hd3000 card in combination with samsung SA(4)(6)50 montors...

Last edited:
which graphics card do you have?

i returned my S24A650D and S24A450BW because facebook blue had a light violet tone.
i searched "blue" with google and got only violet pictures ;-)

i think it has to do with my intel hd3000 card in combination with samsung SA(4)(6)50 montors...
You're not using VGA cable, right? If that's the case there might be something wrong with the connector.

Finally got it. I must say, these new Samsung monitors have excellent design. Excellent stand, thin bezel, and good looking monitor without a blinding power LED.

In terms of the monitor, it seems acceptable to me so far. There is some ghosting, but not nearly as bad as the Samsung F2380MX. I am using the "Faster" response time setting.

I have the S27A650 btw.

How do you find it for reading black text on a white background? Can you compare it to any 27" 2560 x 1440 16:9 monitors in that respect?

Thanks,

How do you find it for reading black text on a white background? Can you compare it to any 27" 2560 x 1440 16:9 monitors in that respect?

Thanks,

It's actually quite good for that. I was concerned about the low pixel pitch, since my last monitor was a 21.5" 1080p. Going to a 27" 1080p had me concerned.

However, the text is not as crisp as say an Apple Cinema Display, but it's not very much far off a 24" 1080p.

You're not using VGA cable, right? If that's the case there might be something wrong with the connector.

yes i use DVI.
i tried another cable too - but bizarelly only with S24A650 and S24A450 i had the violet tone.

i recently also tried the iiyama B2475hds (also DVI) and the blue was ok with it.

very strange..

It's actually quite good for that. I was concerned about the low pixel pitch, since my last monitor was a 21.5" 1080p. Going to a 27" 1080p had me concerned.

Can u say more about contrast, image stability if you look from a side, black-level and maybe take some pictures? Specially about the Backlight Bleeding story.

Contrast looks below the 3000:1 of the F2380MX. Image stability is good; greys change a bit when viewing the monitor from above.

Black levels are not as good as the F2380MX.

Pics below:

Backlight on 100% in a dark room.
9vfhoh.jpg

Backlight on 19% in a dark room (this is the brightness I use).
lBFh3h.jpg

Good contrast (but crappy camera).
khuyhh.jpg

Semi-glossy coating.
zWUVXh.jpg

Back