Asus P8P67 Pro issue - Getting very close to returning it

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
I want to love this board, and if it worked, I would.

But I get very odd lockups at very random times. I can run stress tests and play demanding games without a lockup. But it NEVER makes it a full night without locking up just idling. Every morning when I get up it's locked up. The screen just locks up. No BSOD and it doesn't reset itself.. Mouse stops moving and keyboard doesn't respond. I have to reset it manually.

It also locks up doing random little tasks. Surfing the web, looking in directories, installing programs, etc.. I've searched everywhere and found some other threads, but none of the solutions have worked.

I've tried:
- Clearing the CMOS - Multiple times
- Updating the bios - I've tried all 3 version currently available
- Reinstalling Windows 7 (Did this twice, and even ran it with a very barebones setup. No Windows updates. Still froze)
- Running at stock settings
- Running with a very low overclock
- Enabling and disabling pretty much all the settings in the bios

I've got three more things to try.
1. Running my 1333 memory at 1066 - Seen a couple people post that this fixes the lockups
2. Clearing CMOS, then bumping the ram voltage up to 1.55 or 1.6 - Saw one guy post he could run at 1333 with no lockups if he bumped up the voltage.
3. Flicking the TPU switch to the "On" setting in conjuction with 1 or 2, or with 1 and 2 both.

Gonna try combinations of all the above to see if anything works.

From all the searching I've been doing, it seems there is a memory related issue of some type that either A) Causes problems with booting, B) Causes memory to run at weird speeds, and C) Causes random lockups, and even some BSOD's. Also seems to be some problems with hard drives being recognized.

I'm VERY tempted to send it back. Actually, I've already got my RMA # with Newegg, and have the box ready to go. Figured I'd give it a couple days, try some fixes, and hope Asus releases a bios that works.

So, you guys with issues RMA'ing or gonna wait until Asus fixes everything?

I would suggest replacing it with a different RAM to see if it fixes the problem BEFORE RMAing the Motherboard... It could be faulty RAM...

Also...since these are the first of the P67 boards, there are going to be several BIOS revisions before a rock solid BIOS is released...

I haven assembled my P67 Pro / I5 2500K build yet (still waiting on RAM and CPU cooler) But ill post my results in the next few days...

Well, I turned on TPU via the onboard switch, and it's been running rock solid for a few hours now (knock on wood). I still have my memory running at full speed, and currently don't have any overclock going.

I'll know for sure in the morning, as it's usually locked up sometime during the night.

You know what I am having the same exact problem, with the odd lockups.... thought it might just be me.

Well I am trying out the UD7 tomorrow. Will let you know how that goes.

I was having a ton of problems with my Asus P8P67 Pro when I first started using it. I had thoughts of RMAing the board myself.

Double boots, unstable boots, etc

Just doing the jumper alone caused the computer to not even post. Removing the CMOS battery (probably just needed to do the battery remove and replace only) and doing the jumper reset everything to defaults like it should and seems to have cleared up all the issues I was having. No more double booting and the system seems much more stable.

So, I would suggest removing the CMOS battery and seeing how the board responds after setting up the BIOS again. All of this was done after I loaded the 1053 beta BIOS

Well, it was rock solid for a few hours before bed, but when I woke up it had frozen again. BUT, I think I know what it is. Normally when it would lock up, it could just freeze. Monitor would stay on, but mouse/keyboard would be frozen and computer would be unresponsive.

Usually when I get up int he morning, the monitor is off and the computer is frozen. For some reason i didn't realize that until this morning. In my performance profile, I have it set to "High Performance", so it doesn't sleep or hibernate. But I also have it set to turn the monitor off after 15 minutes. I'm thinking that their is an issue with the computer turning the monitor off.

So gonna test that theory. Will let you guys know. Hopefully that's the case.

Do you have any drives connected to the Marvell controller (Dark Blue sata sockets)? I had my 1 TB WD Caviar Black (6G) data drive connected to that controller and the drive would randomly disappear from device manager and windows explorer. I could not reliably copy large amounts of data without my computer locking up or the drive just not working any longer as well. It did this several times while I was loading things up and caused serious problems for me.

I moved the drives sata cable down to the Intel controller 6G connection (Grey sata sockets) and have not had any problems with my drive since.

I think the Marvell controller is a huge piece of shit and I'm wondering why they even included it on this board. I now have it disabled completely in BIOS.

If you have your OS drive connected to one of the Marvell connections, try moving your drives to the Intel controller and it might solve your problems as well.

Do you have any drives connected to the Marvell controller (Dark Blue sata sockets)? I had my 1 TB WD Caviar Black (6G) data drive connected to that controller and the drive would randomly disappear from device manager and windows explorer. I could not reliably copy large amounts of data without my computer locking up or the drive just not working any longer as well. It did this several times while I was loading things up and caused serious problems for me.

I moved the drives sata cable down to the Intel controller 6G connection (Grey sata sockets) and have not had any problems with my drive since.

I think the Marvell controller is a huge piece of shit and I'm wondering why they even included it on this board. I now have it disabled completely in BIOS.

If you have your OS drive connected to one of the Marvell connections, try moving your drives to the Intel controller and it might solve your problems as well.
Nope, when I put it together I purposely stayed away from the Marvell connectors. I immediately disabled it in the bios as well. I don't have an SSD, so I'm using the Intel 3g controller.

All of my issues are memory related or bios related. Leaning toward bios now, since it's been running great since turning TPU on. Asus needs to get on the ball and fix all these bios bugs that are plaguing their P67 bugs.

Nope, when I put it together I purposely stayed away from the Marvell connectors. I immediately disabled it in the bios as well. I don't have an SSD, so I'm using the Intel 3g controller.

All of my issues are memory related or bios related. Leaning toward bios now, since it's been running great since turning TPU on. Asus needs to get on the ball and fix all these bios bugs that are plaguing their P67 bugs.

I'm sure they are aware of the issue, BUT is there a way to bring it to their attention just in case?

I've been keeping an eye on the Asus forums. There are multiple threads about all the issues there. And plenty of people have been filing the issues with Asus tech support. Should be just a matter of time before they release a new bios.

It's one of the prices you pay when you are an early adopter. Atleast they finally got the MB download page sorted out correctly. I'm hoping by the end of the month they'll have an updated BIOS that will recognize my USB KB and fix the USB mouse lag in EFI.

Looks like mine is running solid now. No freezing over night. One thing to check is your power saving profiles. If you leave your computer running all night, make sure that nothing is going to sleep or being shut off. Also, check the advanced settings for High Performance mode. It has a setting for "Hybrid Sleep" and a couple other things that might lead to freezing. Make sure it's all disabled.

TL;DR version of how I got mine stable

1. Clear your CMOS (Remove power cord, remove battery, change jumper for 10 seconds, then put it back to normal)
2. Turn the TPU switch on
3. Make sure ram speed is set manually to the correct speed. Mine is 1333, so I set it to 1333 in the bios. Don't set it to auto, as it causes issues
4. Don't let the computer be put to sleep or shut down any hardware for power saving
5. Now that I'm running stable, I'll test overclocking. But I've been running everything at stock so far.

Hope that helps anybody that has the freezing issue.

I think you might be seeing something other than a problem with the motherboard, officer921, although there may be something with the power management on the board that's contributing to it.

Are you running the newest drivers/beta CCC from ATI?

I can run the system without a lockup if I don't allow power management to shut down the monitor, which led me to believe it was a problem with the HD6k series of cards with the newest video driver; there's 10.12a beta hotfix out there if you want to try it, but all it really did for me was trade the lockup for some other odd issues elsewhere.

I had looked all over for an issue with the EPU settings first and hadn't really gotten anywhere until I focused on the video driver, but either way it just seems like there are some updates that will need to happen before everything is 100% (for both the video card and the mobo).

Hmm, that's very possible. I'll try that hotfix as well. Don't you love being on the bleeding edge?

Hmm, that's very possible. I'll try that hotfix as well. Don't you love being on the bleeding edge?

Sometimes...

I just built a system that's pretty close to the same specs of what you're running and was having the same issue, so it's at least helpful to see that someone else is suffering the same way...that means it's probably not something I borked during the setup somewhere :D

I'm going to try and tweak some of the settings you mentioned when I get home from work to see if I can clear all of this up once and for all on my rig, but I'm pretty sure at this point that there's just some issues with the video driver that aren't going to make it go away completely until there's a new driver release for the HD6xxx cards that addresses it. There are some posts out there with people who don't have the mobo we do that are having similar issues after installing the drivers with that series of cards, so it gives some hope.

Being on the bleeding edge is part of the fun. ;) I really didn't need to upgrade my cpu and motherboard, but I like playing with new hardware, even though that can sometimes be frustrating.

I want to love this board, and if it worked, I would.

I'm VERY tempted to send it back. Actually, I've already got my RMA # with Newegg, and have the box ready to go. Figured I'd give it a couple days, try some fixes, and hope Asus releases a bios that works.

So, you guys with issues RMA'ing or gonna wait until Asus fixes everything?

You have a PM. :) We will address and fix your problems.

Sent all the required info. First time I've heard of a mobo maker tracking down people with issues and fixing them. Bravo Asus. You guys are on the ball.

I am having a problem that may be similar. Whenever my machine goes to sleep it is losing 2 of my SATA Drives (I have 5 Total.) It is keeping my Samsung 470 SSD which is plugged into the 6G Intel ports, Also Keeping my SATA Blu-Ray Drive and my 750GB Seagate SATA all plugged into the 3G Intel ports. The two Other Drives a 2TB Hitachi and a 1TB Western Digital drop, these are also plugged intot he 3G intel ports. Any Ideas?

Sent all the required info. First time I've heard of a mobo maker tracking down people with issues and fixing them. Bravo Asus. You guys are on the ball.

All ASUS needs to do is release a new BIOS which address all these small issues!

;)

argh....

the exact same thing has been happening to me..
This is my first ever build for a computer..so frustrating...

I didn't go to the same extent as you trying to figure it out as my knowledge base isn't as big....but i did try some of the stuff you mentioned and didn't work.

weird thing was...the one time it froze while i was playing sc2 the sound that was last played kept repeating itself...earlier when i was playing ...it froze but the sound kept going.

Please help....this is getting really annoying.
everything of mine is running at stock except i set the ram at 1600 as it was detected at 1333

argh....

the exact same thing has been happening to me..
This is my first ever build for a computer..so frustrating...

I didn't go to the same extent as you trying to figure it out as my knowledge base isn't as big....but i did try some of the stuff you mentioned and didn't work.

weird thing was...the one time it froze while i was playing sc2 the sound that was last played kept repeating itself...earlier when i was playing ...it froze but the sound kept going.

Please help....this is getting really annoying.
everything of mine is running at stock except i set the ram at 1600 as it was detected at 1333
You flick the TPU switch? Might try setting your memory to 1333 mhz in the bios. Try bumping your ram voltage up .5 to 1 volt higher than it is now.. Also, if you using an ATI card, download the 10.12a hotfix drivers and use those. Mine has been running solid for a couple days now. Can't really tell you which solution worked, since I've tried so many. Just try all the stuff I did.

Asus contacted me today and they are working on a new bios. The guy I talked to got my system specs and build a computer like mine for testing. Just hang in there.

I am having a problem that may be similar. Whenever my machine goes to sleep it is losing 2 of my SATA Drives (I have 5 Total.) It is keeping my Samsung 470 SSD which is plugged into the 6G Intel ports, Also Keeping my SATA Blu-Ray Drive and my 750GB Seagate SATA all plugged into the 3G Intel ports. The two Other Drives a 2TB Hitachi and a 1TB Western Digital drop, these are also plugged intot he 3G intel ports. Any Ideas?

I'd disable any kind of power saving/sleep/hibernate for now. It was causing me a lot of trouble. Mine would freeze up every night. Diabled everything and it stopped. You might also try hooking the problem drives up to the 6g ports. Try the marvell controller too. Never know. It might work.

I'll have to try all those tonight if it freezes again....i did try turning everything off in the power options and so far that only froze once....and its been ok overnight.

Not using ATI card but did update the drivers for that.
So this issue is unlikely hardware issues tho right and more bios?

You flick the TPU switch? Might try setting your memory to 1333 mhz in the bios. Try bumping your ram voltage up .5 to 1 volt higher than it is now.. Also, if you using an ATI card, download the 10.12a hotfix drivers and use those. Mine has been running solid for a couple days now. Can't really tell you which solution worked, since I've tried so many. Just try all the stuff I did.

Asus contacted me today and they are working on a new bios. The guy I talked to got my system specs and build a computer like mine for testing. Just hang in there.

I'll have to try all those tonight if it freezes again....i did try turning everything off in the power options and so far that only froze once....and its been ok overnight.

Not using ATI card but did update the drivers for that.
So this issue is unlikely hardware issues tho right and more bios?

Please try the 1253 BIOS and AI Suite II update plus the new Intel drivers in the Official BIOS thread - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578865. If there is still a problem, please PM me. I have not seen this before but we will track it down for you. In fact, the board works much better with all PM options enabled as far as performance and resume testing.

I'm an idiot...

i got my second drive shippped in

agian like i said i'm a newb....so i raided them...and i guess it formats everything lol..

but i did install the new bios first...

so hopefuly a fresh install of windows with new bios might cure it

thanks gary

Had raid going...windows installed...updated windows first. After few restarts and installation nothing froze....
I just dled the update on laptop and uploaded it on usb flash

launched the .exe file and it froze.
Figured the problem was still there
Rebooted the comp and the boot_device led lights up...restart it again now the VGA led lights up

I'm so confused on what to do as i can't even boot it up. I tried switching the jumper...once i do that...it boots up asking me to setup bios again...at this point i didn't set anything up...
and was hoping it would boot. Instead it the VGA LED comes up again...so i reset it..and now the Boot_device LED lights up..

Do i need to reset it back to raid for the sata configuration?

Argh.....will exchanging it help :(

EDIT: i changed the sata config to raid and it booted installed one driver had to restart and it froze after it restarted...didn't even make it into windows...
restarted it again went into bios and froze in bios.
Out of frustration i called newegg for an RMA number

Last edited:
Hi there. I have similar problems with the OP but, the solutions did not solve my problem. Thank you though.

What I've tried so far are testing out each RAM stick on slot 1. One of them ran for a good 30 minutes, while the other only lasted 15. I know it's not a long time for either but I'm not sure how often I can keep on testing this way. I should run some memtests but I want to narrow it down if it's a mobo or RAM problem. It can even be a graphics card problem because when the screen flickers, I see a glimpse of an error with the graphics card driver.

I have an identical problem...random freeze-ups on a P8P67 Pro machine. However, I'm still not entirely sure it is a motherboard issue. I'm running Windows Memory Diagnostic now, and will try to memtest86 each of my four 4GB g.skill ripjaws 1600 modules.

Hello, I ran a memtest86+ v4.2 beta since it supports Sandy Bridge. The RAMs passed the tests and there were no errors. However, I do get a different issue. The computer would get an error of "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 266.58 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Sometimes the computer would go into BSOD and the monitor will stay on with the "on" light and the fans would continue to run as if the computer was on. However, the BOOT_LED light would be red. After Windows debugging, this is the result I got these results:

Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\012311-22510-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is: 
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7600.16617.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100618-1621
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02e04000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`03041e50
Debug session time: Sun Jan 23 16:46:53.740 2011 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 8:04:16.724
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {fffffa8006e02010, fffff8801067123c, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+7b723c )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

3: kd> !analyze -v
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffffa8006e02010, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff8801067123c, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: ffffffffc000009a, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation.
Arg4: 0000000000000004, Optional internal context dependent data.

Debugging Details:
------------------

FAULTING_IP: 
nvlddmkm+7b723c
fffff880`1067123c 4883ec28        sub     rsp,28h

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x116

PROCESS_NAME:  System

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff880`037c8b48 fffff880`0411aef8 : 00000000`00000116 fffffa80`06e02010 fffff880`1067123c ffffffff`c000009a : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`037c8b50 fffff880`040ee867 : fffff880`1067123c fffffa80`09037000 00000000`00000000 ffffffff`c000009a : dxgkrnl!TdrBugcheckOnTimeout+0xec
fffff880`037c8b90 fffff880`0411ad07 : fffffa80`ffffd87b ffffffff`fffe7960 fffffa80`06e02010 00000000`00000000 : dxgkrnl!DXGADAPTER::Reset+0x2a3
fffff880`037c8c40 fffff880`041e9ec1 : fffffa80`09375a80 00000000`00000080 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`08f2f410 : dxgkrnl!TdrResetFromTimeout+0x23
fffff880`037c8cc0 fffff800`03118c06 : 00000000`038e9b04 fffffa80`08f3e770 fffffa80`066ec040 fffffa80`08f3e770 : dxgmms1!VidSchiWorkerThread+0x101
fffff880`037c8d00 fffff800`02e52c26 : fffff800`02feee80 fffffa80`08f3e770 fffff800`02ffcc40 fffff880`0125d534 : nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x5a
fffff880`037c8d40 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KxStartSystemThread+0x16

STACK_COMMAND:  .bugcheck ; kb

FOLLOWUP_IP: 
nvlddmkm+7b723c
fffff880`1067123c 4883ec28        sub     rsp,28h

SYMBOL_NAME:  nvlddmkm+7b723c

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

IMAGE_NAME:  nvlddmkm.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  4d27c6da

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x116_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x116_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

So now I'm wondering if the issue lies on the motherboard or graphics card or, God forbid, both. Thanks in advance!

If you ran memtest 86+ booting from a usb stick or a CD, I assume you realize that just passing memtest certainly doesn't mean the memory is ok running in Windows. You can always push memory at least 5-10% higher in memtest 86+ than you can run error free in windows.

I have the exact same problem and it's very frustrating!

It went through 11 hours of prime95, 8 passes of memtest, and 6 hours of furmark with no errors. In the 2 weeks that I've had it, it has never once frozen during load but it always freezes over night or when I'm not at the computer.

What I've tried with no success:
- updating to 1053 BIOS
- clearing CMOS by removing battery and doing jumper reset
- switched RAM from A2 B2 to A1 B1
- turning on the TPU switch
- setting bclk to 100 manually
- setting my corsair vengeance ram to 1333mhz and uping the voltage to 1.55v
- disabling the marvell controller
- disabling PLL and EPU
- setting cpu voltage to manual

I also have another problem where if I press restart, it will sometimes restart normally, other times it will turn off and turn on again and other times it will just turn off completely.

I have the exact same problem and it's very frustrating!

It went through 11 hours of prime95, 8 passes of memtest, and 6 hours of furmark with no errors. In the 2 weeks that I've had it, it has never once frozen during load but it always freezes over night or when I'm not at the computer.

What I've tried with no success:
- updating to 1053 BIOS
- clearing CMOS by removing battery and doing jumper reset
- switched RAM from A2 B2 to A1 B1
- turning on the TPU switch
- setting bclk to 100 manually
- setting my corsair vengeance ram to 1333mhz and uping the voltage to 1.55v
- disabling the marvell controller
- disabling PLL and EPU
- setting cpu voltage to manual

I also have another problem where if I press restart, it will sometimes restart normally, other times it will turn off and turn on again and other times it will just turn off completely.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578865

Update to the new bios. Fixed all my issues.

Hello again.
I'm back after a few tests. I tried using another video card (EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS) and did a clean install. It ran for almost 24 hours with no errors or weird shutdowns. Now, I switched back to the GeForce 460 GTX and hopefully everything will go well from here and it was just a bad installation of Windows 7 of some sort.

Will report back soon if the problem persists or new ones pop up *knocks on wood* Oh, though if the computer shuts down and I turn it back on, the computer momentarily shuts down for a few seconds and boots up. Anyone know what's up with this?

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Screen flickered and turned off but monitor stays on. Another BSOD about nvlddmkm.sys. Went ahead and filed a RMA.

Last edited:
Hello again.
I'm back after a few tests. I tried using another video card (EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS) and did a clean install. It ran for almost 24 hours with no errors or weird shutdowns. Now, I switched back to the GeForce 460 GTX and hopefully everything will go well from here and it was just a bad installation of Windows 7 of some sort.

Will report back soon if the problem persists or new ones pop up *knocks on wood* Oh, though if the computer shuts down and I turn it back on, the computer momentarily shuts down for a few seconds and boots up. Anyone know what's up with this?

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Screen flickered and turned off but monitor stays on. Another BSOD about nvlddmkm.sys. Went ahead and filed a RMA.

hmm...atleast you got a BSOD with an error message

Reinstalling windows and disabling C3 / C6 seems to have fixed the freezing. It's been up and running for 48 hours so far.

Reinstalling windows and disabling C3 / C6 seems to have fixed the freezing. It's been up and running for 48 hours so far.

Do you get a high pitch noise through the speakers when the freeze occurs? I get the random freezes also.

Last edited:
Back