Zynga now bigger than EA

CanesVenetici

Limp Gawd
Stumbled across this story today and thought I'd share.

Zynga Tops Electronic Arts as Social Games Spread

We all know EA is a giant, a powerhouse in the industry whether we like it or not.
With the recent news of paypal and facebook working together to institute micro-transactions I can only see zynga getting bigger.

This is a bit old now, but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odBDAcOEKuI

This ones new to me though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kNjC50BzB0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlQ26Bnf2pI&NR=1

Why do the lame always prosper? Reminds me about how everyone worships Lady Gaga.

Why do the lame always prosper? Reminds me about how everyone worships Lady Gaga.

Mass appeal. It's better to have everyone think your product is "just alright", than to have only a few people think it's "awesome". And crappy time killers have mass appeal. That's what social games are. Alright to everyone, awesome to no one, and tied in with social media. It works because if everyone dedicates a few minutes a day to play your so-so game, it gets MUCH more play time on the whole than if a much smaller population dedicates hours a day to your fantastic game. Add that to the fact that they are orders of magnitude less costly to develop, and there's your answer.

It's the Anti-Niche. You market it to everyone rather than a specific group (RPG players, FPS players, Racing Sim players etc). But, in marketing to everyone, you make a game so bland that no one is going to love it... however, most people wont hate it either. It's just "Okay". Long story short:

So-So Game With Mass Appeal And Social Media Tie In -> ??? -> Profit.

It's really not a bad plan, as far as making a butt ton of money goes.

Also, Lady Gaga sucks. And is ugly. And wears retarded crap. And is possibly a man. That is all.

Ditto, this coming from a metalhead/punk, and it helps that she is hot!

My penis can hardly contain itself...

2zq617c.jpg

Zynga sucks. Crysis sucks (well the story does). but dont EA make most of their money from the sims? it's definately their biggest selling franchise, and the sims 3 is still almost full price after a few years (I think).
But still, people haven't got that the masses are the ones with the money. Make something that appeals to the lowest common denominator and you have an audience of 6 billion - 12 million. Sell to the cool kids and you have an audience of 12 million. Also with 943240% piracy your left selling 2 copies. Also PC gamers complain 2345843640% more than any other gamers. (its called having high standards but it means were harder to develop for and dont buy things blindly en mass, which everyone knows is bad for buisness)

My penis can hardly contain itself...

2zq617c.jpg

shes the one on the right

You have to consider the business model as well. What we traditionally think of as game companies all produce games with relatively high costs of entry. $50-60 dollars a game and hardware costs. Farmville I believe has a $0 cost of entry essentially (never played not sure).

I wonder how long before someone like Activision or EA actually tries to legitimately push a triple A based on a similar model to see what kind of user base and revenue numbers it can possibly imagine. I mean if you or they believe the piracy ratio mantra (Crytek ceo said 20:1), COD for instance if free could theoretically have a user base of 200m+ (likely more) vs. 10m+, that is a huge advertising/micro-transaction potential.

In some ways doesnt that make her better that she is an ugly pop star? Says more for her music I would think.

I was just questioning dogbyte_13's taste in women... haha.

Says more for the magics of filters, photoshop, makeup and airbrushes, imo :p

freaky deekies need love too....

and the reason EA and Zynga are monsters is simple. LCD programming. aim low. earn success. most of their audience wouldn't recognize epic-ness if it was table dancing in front of them.

You can see her camel toe in several of her outfits. So she has obviously had the penis removed.

In one her videos where she is in a prison cell the original version showed her vag though her nylons and they blurred it slightly but you could easily tell she has a vag and not a dick. Since that early release they have changed the video so it doesn't show that part. She obviously did it to prove she is female but they can work wonders with a scalpel these days so it really proves nothing.

Mass appeal. It's better to have everyone think your product is "just alright", than to have only a few people think it's "awesome". And crappy time killers have mass appeal. That's what social games are. Alright to everyone, awesome to no one, and tied in with social media. It works because if everyone dedicates a few minutes a day to play your so-so game, it gets MUCH more play time on the whole than if a much smaller population dedicates hours a day to your fantastic game. Add that to the fact that they are orders of magnitude less costly to develop, and there's your answer.

It's the Anti-Niche. You market it to everyone rather than a specific group (RPG players, FPS players, Racing Sim players etc). But, in marketing to everyone, you make a game so bland that no one is going to love it... however, most people wont hate it either. It's just "Okay". Long story short:

So-So Game With Mass Appeal And Social Media Tie In -> ??? -> Profit.

It's really not a bad plan, as far as making a butt ton of money goes.

Also, Lady Gaga sucks. And is ugly. And wears retarded crap. And is possibly a man. That is all.

^this sums it up perfectly.

I don't mind lady Gaga but I would never go so far to say she's an amazing talent. She's cashing in on kids who think its cool to express yourself and look and act like a moron. I can't figure out why anyone really thinks she really a talented artist though.

Back