Zupafech = Evil

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I installed Vista64 on my old rig A64 3000+ 2gb ram geforce 6800, for testing compatibility and performance, and decide if I should install it as the main OS in a new rig I'm building soon.

At first it seemed as fast as XP, but over time it became slower, particularly with office apps and games.

After some research I read several articles on whether Superfetch should be disabled, some say it should to increase performance and others say it makes no difference.

Well I decided to try it myself and the difference is night and day. With Superfetch enabled outlook 2007 took ages to become usable and simply opening mails or creating new ones was extremely slow and often became non responsive. Games ran noticeably slower than in XP and there was severe stuttering.

Now I see no major slowdowns and games run much faster and pretty much stutter free, I can open office applications and start using them right away, video files also open faster and have no hiccups during play.

Try adding another gig of RAM and see if that helps.

I also have the reverse experience - insta-load apps with SuperFetch enabled (apps load from Memory (ns access) instead of from disk(ms))

Also, make sure you give Superfetch ~72 hours to reorganize your HDD for maximum performance - those first 72 hours hours can be a little bit brutal...

I have had the exact opposite experience. Superfetch makes a big difference on the positive side (speeds things up a lot) and Vista stays much faster overtime than XP.

Guess it all depends on your own experience though.

Try adding another gig of RAM and see if that helps.

I also have the reverse experience - insta-load apps with SuperFetch enabled (apps load from Memory (ns access) instead of from disk(ms))

Also, make sure you give Superfetch ~72 hours to reorganize your HDD for maximum performance - those first 72 hours hours can be a little bit brutal...

The pc has been running for weeks 24/7

I've tested this on a 5 pcs/notebooks with Vista with weird results, on a couple of pcs where Vista was slow it speeded up, the laptop was running fine but it slowed down when disabling superfetch and a couple more it made no difference.

Back