Zune HD price drops... will the hammer drop too?

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
Looks like either a) the Zune HD is the last of its kind, or b) Microsoft could be nearing a release of a second generation model (which is highly doubtful at this point in the game). Either way, if you wanted to get a Zune HD, now might be the time:

http://www.zuneoriginals.net/

16GB for $169.99, 32GB for $199.99... comes with the AC adapter as well (not much of a bonus but it's something), and even a small choice of colors too. Now, if the 64GB model would drop to something like $229 or whatever, that would really be saying something, and it just might happen (or a price drop at all for that model would speak volumes).

Could be the end of the line for the Zune HD, sadly. :(

They best not kill off Zune pass. If they kill off the physical media players, they will need to do something besides phones to play them, I hope. I'm not sure if I should buy a Zune HD to replace one of my old ones or not. Would MS release a phone-less WP7?

I would have to say "No" to that since Microsoft doesn't make phones... but I get the meaning. I haven't seen one leak, snippet, or rumor about a potential Zune HD 2 so, I'm fairly confident at this point that since no leaks, snippets, or rumors have appeared anywhere that the standalone Zune HD or Zune music portables are pretty much dead in the water, and this is just an attempt to clear them out since I'm pretty sure they have tons upon tons of these things in inventory everywhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if I see these appear on woot.com at some point for even less... :(

I would have to say "No" to that since Microsoft doesn't make phones... but I get the meaning. I haven't seen one leak, snippet, or rumor about a potential Zune HD 2 so, I'm fairly confident at this point that since no leaks, snippets, or rumors have appeared anywhere that the standalone Zune HD or Zune music portables are pretty much dead in the water, and this is just an attempt to clear them out since I'm pretty sure they have tons upon tons of these things in inventory everywhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if I see these appear on woot.com at some point for even less... :(

Maybe they will try to pull an Android type of deal with the PMP market and let anyone make a Zune compatible PMP. They are letting anyone make a Zune compatible phone with their UI right now, so it is possible given MS's strange desire to avoid making hardware.

A potential, sure, but a highly unlikely one. They basically contracted out the work on the original Zunes with Toshiba - the Gigabeat by them was the original basis for the Zune, but the Zune HD was designed completely in house at Microsoft but not "built" by them; another contractor picked up that task.

Microsoft doesn't actually make much of anything, it's almost always done by third party designers and contractors more often than not. All the keyboards and mice? Kensington and Keytronic. Those old wireless routers they tried? Netgear. Webcams? Contracted through Logitech almost always but sometimes with another company.

Typical big company style manufacturing: let someone else do it, then slap a Microsoft sticker on it. :D

Back