Zune 64GB $278 with free HD AV dock (tax in california)

Limp Gawd
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003ES5GWW

"To receive the Bonus with Purchase discount:
Just buy the Zune HD 64 - Amazon Part # B003ES5GWW and we'll send you a free Zune HD AV Dock at no extra charge.

Please do not add the AV Dock to your cart or you will be charged for it!"

solid deal, id buy it if i didnt already have a zune 64gb. As a music player the zune is better than an ipod touch, but you dont get all the apps. 64gb ipod touch is $90 more though, so zune still wins :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not sure how this will affect product support, but MS did announce that it will no longer make Zune hardware.

i guess the question is if they did what are people looking for in a zune? The thing has had very little app support, its basically a music player and a video player if need be. This especially true with the whole zune pass for those who want to be legit and have a large amount of music at their fingertips (sometimes i do have to venture elsewhere to get an album not available on zune pass though...)

I find the HD Radio tuner to be a too-often overlooked selling point.

I find the HD Radio tuner to be a too-often overlooked selling point.

I don't use the HD radio tuner much, though it does have (iirc) double the bitrate of normal FM radio (64 v 128??) but it has one flaw: it's still radio with all it's (current) autotune rap crap in my area :p Of course, this is totally subjective, and I probably could of made this down into one sentance, however, I didn't.

;)

Comparing analog FM to digital/AAC HD Radio is very difficult since the technologies are so different, but HD Radio generally offers a cleaner broadcast quality. Though if you're in good range to your broadcast station and have a good antenna, FM can sound fantastic still. So it's a mixed bag.

I think a lot of the promise in HD Radio is in things to come, because AAC as a codec can bring along all kinds of goodies that an analog broadcast can't.

I've used the radio tuner on my Zune all of twice.

I can say that Zune Pass is some of the best money I spend every month. Being able to download most any album without needing to buy it (and permanently keep those I really like with the monthly credit) has really improved the quality of my life (I've nearly filled my 32GB Zune...). It would be ashame if MSFT did kill Zune hardware and the only thing you could play Zune subscription on would be a Win Phone 7 (for which phone models have only 16GB or less at this point).

Last edited:
I don't buy the Zune-death rumor anyways, it doesn't make much sense; In spite of the fact that it's been on the market for a while, the Zune HD is still setting the features-for-the-money bar. Even if Apple does another big iPod touch update soon (which I doubt), MS really wouldn't have to do a lot to the HD to keep it competitive.

So they'd might as well let it ride and work toward a cheap incremental update at some point.

The only thing we can be sure of regarding the actual Zune HD itself is that Microsoft hasn't officially "killed" it as of yet. The rumors, and even that one post by one of the actual Zune HD developers/project managers, are that Microsoft is no longer considering a second gen Zune HD, that all the current stock of the Zune HD is all that's left, and that production has or will cease very soon, so no Zune HD2 (I'll bet HTC would complain about that anyway if it came about). :D

Suffice to say it's still a damned fine digital audio player, with some great potential for videos as well, but the iPod just rules the world of portable digital audio and media players. It's not that Zune HD isn't a good product, it's that people by and large just don't give a fuck - they only care about what's popular more often than not, and that means iPods, unfortunately.

I did grab that Zune HD 64GB with dock/cables/remote last week for $150 from a guy that immediately went out and got a 64GB iPod touch 4th gen. I asked him why he was dumping the Zune HD setup he'd put over $500 into not a year earlier (and it's all in practically mint condition, not a mark on any of it) and his response was "Everybody I know has an iPhone or an iPod touch so..."

And that's literally all he said, he just drifted off after "so..." and never finished the reasoning I was looking for. Can't say I'm surprised, really. It's not like he's an educated consumer or even one that apparently can think for himself with the way he tranced out almost at the utterance of "iPhone or iPod touch" - it was surreal to watch it happen but, I've seen it thousands of times before.

His loss, my gain. ;)

Having said that, this is a damned fine deal I suppose, but it still seems a bit high in price to me at $278, and it's not because of all the stuff I just got for $150 cash, either. Oh well... grab 'em while you can, or wait till Microsoft makes it official and then people really dump 'em in masses - at least those that own them currently as they scurry for iPhones or iPod touchs... :(

64GB NAND is expensive if im not mistaken, i wouldnt be surprised if the price plateaus soon. When the FIRST 64gb ipod came out apple was apparently losing money on it.

There is nothing wrong with the Zune. It's just a market reality that you lose when you bring a knife to a gunfight, even if your knife is shiny and rendered in HD.

Back