Zuckerberg Breaks Silence On Cambridge Analytica Scandal

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by rgMekanic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has broken his silence on the Cambridge Analytica scandal today in a Facebook post. Zuckerberg basically gave a timeline of events, starting at the creation of Facebook, leading up to the event. Zuckerberg states that "This was a breach of trust between Kogan, Cambridge Analytica and Facebook." Alleging that Cambridge Analytica got the data from a personality quiz app made by Aleksandr Kogan, and both Kogan and Cambridge Analytica were supposed to have deleted the data.

Sounds like a lot of "it wasn't our fault" lip service to me. I understand that under their previous rules, apps could get user data from the friends of people who had installed it (why that was ever a "feature" remains a mystery), but even so, how does 300,000 people installing this quiz app equate to 50 million profiles? Zuckerberg will have an interview tonight on "Anderson Cooper 360" on CNN at 9PM ET.

We have a responsibility to protect your data, and if we can't then we don't deserve to serve you. I've been working to understand exactly what happened and how to make sure this doesn't happen again. The good news is that the most important actions to prevent this from happening again today we have already taken years ago. But we also made mistakes, there's more to do, and we need to step up and do it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. wootius

wootius [H]Lite

Ehhhh, that's 166 friends per profile. That does seem a bit off, but not too far off Dunbar's number.

3. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Facebook is shit. Prove me wrong.

4. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

rgMekanic likes this.
  5. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

I dunno what you're talking about...... :shy:

Krazy925 likes this.
  6. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

He had to take his time for damage control meetings with his advisers in the Facebook meeting room bunkers before preparing a calculated response that basically saying, "it was their fault.". Can't rush into an honest response.

mynamehere likes this.
  7. deeppow

deeppow Limp Gawd

Anyone that believes Facebook (Zuckerberg) is sorry hold up your computer. I long ago dissed them and the vast majority of silicon valley. It is about the $s they make, nothing else.

A number of folks have said how they and much of the social media would remove the ability of youth to think. That assumes of course that those at Facebook have a brain! But the end resulting effect on many of our youth is the same.

8. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Cambridge Analytica is quite the company, they offer full service smear campaigns and even pay as you go conspiracy manufacture. They'll even hire pretty girls to help you set up a political rival if you need a quick scandal on the fly.

Any company offering up all this fat data to an organisation like that is complicit in their various fraudulent ventures. There needs to be serious, eye watering, full-year-of-income-consuming penalties for this kind of blissful negligence. Companies are playing way too fast and loose with this kind of data, they need to suffer for it. Right now they simply don't take it seriously.

Blown Cap likes this.
  9. thebufenator

thebufenator Gawd

Why should they?

User's are willingly giving their data up on facebook anyways.

Armenius and lollerwaffle like this.
  10. BitMaster

BitMaster Limp Gawd

What is Facebook ?

LMAO

11. gxp500

gxp500 Gawd

But facebook asked them nicely to delete it, its not their fault...

12. chaos4u

chaos4u Limp Gawd

I wish there was an article that said facebook gave out your personal information to EVERYONE DUH !!!!!!!!

every time i hear facebook and privacy mentioned in the same sentence i shudder.

all those face books apps farmville ... personals... and god knows what else people attached to their accounts all their info and interactions were collected.

yet some how this story has people up in arms .. WHAT Facebook shared my data with some unkown third Party !!! ARGHH! !!!!! ! ! !! ! !

i guess better late than never huh ?

yourgrandma likes this.
  13. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Here's this data you paid us for but don't use it

14. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

I ask my clients if they know what fakebook sells and why they are a multi-billion dollar company.
    When I tell'em that they sell THEM it does not phase them.
    sigh

15. Azphira

Azphira [H]ard|Gawd

To 14 years of not using Facebook! Hear hear!

16. macksomerville

macksomerville [H]ard|Gawd

This is bullshit anyway... its just another way that Facebook can shift their algorithm to favor their censorship goals. "Dems" blame facebook for Trump winning, whine about "russian colusion". Meanwhile Trumps campaign uses same process as DNC did in 2008 & 2012 and now its an issue, that must be fixed! All the while, conservative outlets see a reduction in traffic and many liberal outlets see a net gain of traffic through facebook driven content.

GoldenTiger, raz-0, AlphaQup and 5 others like this.
  17. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

Of course Cambridge Analytica is overstating their capabilities and successes. Simple marketing. However, I can't really downplay the effect and sway of well crafted propoganda. People are easy.

Who says they didn't actually run ads which smear Republicans? As they claim, their business is in micro-targeting. It would make good sense to make slightly irking ads against the Republicans to incite some response from Republican leaning non-voters and encourage them to get off their asses and vote. A Dem-favouring Facebook would run those ads all day.

18. northwoodsf

northwoodsf [H]Lite

I don't think he has anything to do with it personally.
    I also do not get why Apple, Amazon, and Facebook are (among) the most valuable corporations in the world.
    Their products are just OK and people can easily live without.

19. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

I think it's one of those "when you're hot you're hot" situations. They were first to provide a product/service at a certain scale and relative quality. No one else is making such a strong effort to compete. It's easier to mimic their model and shave off whatever tiny fraction of their market share which isn't being actively locked down by the incumbant. It's also easier to run a legit business and defend your practices with a smaller budget. ;)

20. EVIL-SCOTSMAN

EVIL-SCOTSMAN [H]ardness Supreme

You know what really surprises me ?

How can an ugly looking fuck like zuckerberg own one of the biggest companies in the world.

It looks like he was hit with the ugly stick multiple times during birth.

Thats all I have to say on the subject.

rgMekanic and LakeErieWater like this.
  21. dpoverlord

dpoverlord [H]ard|Gawd

They own Instagram sooo.... Not going anywhere.

22. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

But I thought so many of you had nothing to hide, and ideas like this were just from the minds of crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists.
    Riiiight... :joyful:

chaos4u and GoldenTiger like this.
  23. theBrownLlama

theBrownLlama Limp Gawd

how else do you think FB has such high market valuations....

24. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai Death Incarnate

sounds a lot like the fairness doctrine...

liberals know that when it comes to media the conservative viewpoint wins every time so they have to try and reduce it as much as possible.

Armenius likes this.
  25. Lenard

Lenard Limp Gawd

This is Anti-Semitic. We need more Semitism, not less.

26. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Yeah, and a man who gets shot by a sniper should have had a smaller head. A woman who gets raped should have been wearing her burqa, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

This data is from both private and public posts. It's data that Facebook was contractually obligated to protect, they didn't.

LakeErieWater likes this.
  27. Megaslug

Megaslug Limp Gawd

What the Zuck REALLY meant by is "we are committed to protecting your data" statement is "How dare Cmabridge steal our revenue, that was OUR data to sell" Also, this data came from a quiz? So if you didn;t take the stupid quiz, then they had nothing special on you, at least related to what the quiz was tryign to reveal? So this is even LESS of an issue.

28. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Limp Gawd

Chance of AC asking about Facebook willingly giving up access to 100s of millions of users to the Obama campaign.....0%

GoldenTiger and chockomonkey like this.
  29. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

Well, to play devil's advocate (as someone who only uses Messenger to communicate with my wife overseas) it's like the same argument people made when Obama didn't want to call the terrorists "radical Islamists" and people berated him for not calling it that. Obama at a press conference afterwards had a great response when a Fox News reporter grilled him on the subject and his response was "Because I like to know what i'm talking about before I speak."

So, it's possible Facebook may not have been directly responsible for this data breach and Zuck wanted his people to break down exactly what happened before releasing a statement. I don't think that's unfair.

Inacurate likes this.
  30. EVIL-SCOTSMAN

Am hating on Joo’s because I said he was ugly ?

You are joking ???

31. thejokker

thejokker Gawd

When I first started Facebook I used it to follow my friends from school and bands that I liked and things I wanted to follow. Now, a lot of the things I specifically chose to follow no longer shows up on my page, and instead I am drowned with crap facebook "decided" I should be interested in. No wonder I spend less and less time on facebook. Progressives seem to think they know what is best for people. Everything they touch turns to shit...

32. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

attractiveness and ethnicity are not mutually exclusive

33. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

and given the history of things.. honestly why should they care?? They know they can and WILL get away with it.

until the people at the top start having to pay the price for misdeeds of the company, and not allow some low level flunky take the heat, they will continue to act such

34. Lenard

Lenard Limp Gawd

Posts like these led to Hitler.

35. EVIL-SCOTSMAN

627462_1.jpg

CaptNumbNutz likes this.
  36. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

Man, hardforum threads get weird near the bottom.

Lenard likes this.
  37. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

I'm saying the opposite of what you think I'm saying.

38. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

I guess the last time I thought to myself, that will be the stupidest thing he will ever post, has been proven incorrect.

39. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

To take the opposite side, Zuck doesn't need to take the time to investigate his own policies of handing out data. He just needs a quick report.

40. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

So, I think you are confusing the overarching debate here. Facebook made a deal with these folks for some data to be used in a study, that was then in-turn supposed to be given back. Now, we are not talking about policies here. Because Facebook did what they could within their power (TOS) with the data they had. What we are talking about is that Facebook is saying that the release of this information and subsequent leak is due to the other folks not using best practices to keep the data safe, and according to Facebook that is the case which would fall in-line with their CEO also being ousted. Things were not handled well on Cambridge Analytica's side and it's fair for Facebook to find out what went wrong and who is to blame.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018