Zuckerberg Addresses 'Real Name' Problem

HardOCP News

[H] News
Mark Zuckerberg finally commented on the controversy over the whole "Real Name" policy. Zuckerberg was quoted as saying "NO ONE OS FORCING YOU TO USE FACEBOOK!" Just kidding, this is what he actually said:

Real name does not mean your legal name. Your real name is whatever you go by and what your friends call you. If your friends all call you by a nickname and you want to use that name on Facebook, you should be able to do that. In this way, we should be able to support everyone using their own real names, including everyone in the transgender community. We are working on better and more ways for people to show us what their real name is so we can both keep this policy which protects so many people in our community while also serving the transgender community.

In the Transgender community? WTH.
The LGBT and SJWs are the loudest voices, even if they are a tiny minority, and so its likely because of them specifically that they are finally addressing the issue of using the real name... likely because Bruce Jenner and the like don't want to use that name on their Facebook pages.

Its all quite moot anyway, as they have no way of enforcing or determining what is and isn't a real name. I hate facebook, but I sometimes need it for coupons and Waze and what not, so I'm a sexy blonde chick named Jennifer on FB.

BTW, have you guys met Harry Balsagna? https://www.facebook.com/harry.balsagna.77

I think he's Italian. :D

Sorry but Facebook is bullshit. I'm probably the only person in the world that does not have an account nor will I ever. Fuck Zuckerberg and his bullshit policies.

I also don't use crapbook. Maybe I am also odd? I had an account many years ago in college, and closed it a long time ago.

Sorry but Facebook is bullshit. I'm probably the only person in the world that does not have an account nor will I ever. Fuck Zuckerberg and his bullshit policies.

That's a bold statement. Has anyone informed the numerous impoverished countries that they are not part of the world?

I had one. Didn't use it much, deleted it. My life was unaffected at any point prior during or after this fact.

It was the google+ policy for the longest time and about 3 wks before the SJW's went apeshit on facebook, they dropped the policy. hmmmm....

Mark Zuckerberg finally commented on the controversy over the whole "Real Name" policy. Zuckerberg was quoted as saying "NO ONE OS FORCING YOU TO USE FACEBOOK!" Just kidding, this is what he actually said:

This guy is an idiot!

1) Your "real_name" is your legal birth name by law.
2) Any other name is a nickname and not a "real_name." by law.
3) If you want to legally change your "real_name" to your nickname, it must be changed in the court of law, and will cost between $200-$500 per name change, though every name used will be on file.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/name-change-faq-29091.html

It was the google+ policy for the longest time and about 3 wks before the SJW's went apeshit on facebook, they dropped the policy. hmmmm....

People still use Google+? I thought Google was killing that off soon because no one used it.

Anyhow, Facebook is pretty stupid. King offers Candy Crush Saga stuff from their own website so you don't need Facebook to play it and pogo.com offers a lot of really good games too so there's pretty much no reason for a gamer to waste their time making a FB account. It's mostly just for people who are too lazy to send e-mail to people or for unattractive men to post beach vacation pics of them helping their kids learn to surf during their post divorce visitation weekend so they look like good fathers to their uninterested single female coworkers.

BULL FREAKING HORSE HOCKEY!!!

A friend of mine uses a different name just for that reason and he actually uses "in the community." Facebook's current policy is that this be your actual legal name. When they doubt this they will force you to send them copies of you state issued ID

---------------------
Yes People use G+, it's not dead they just don't release numbers and play the popularity game. It doesn't help however that they have killed most used and innovative features.

--------------------
"NO ONE OS(SIC) FORCING YOU TO USE FACEBOOK!"
This actually isn't true. There is pressure exerted on one via peer pressure. So many people use it or only use it that it is the way to contact someone. Just like I'm sure none of your friends really email you any more and probably text/use the latest it IM app.

Yes People use G+, it's not dead they just don't release numbers and play the popularity game. It doesn't help however that they have killed most used and innovative features.

Actually, Google really is doing away with Google+ in its current form anyhow and some elements will stick around, but the phase out is apparently due to the non-success of the service as a Facebook competitor.

Here's a link-y to a thing about that from this past March:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/google-is-slowly-phasing-out-google-112517429669.html

A friend of mine uses a different name just for that reason and he actually uses "in the community." Facebook's current policy is that this be your actual legal name. When they doubt this they will force you to send them copies of you state issued ID

---------------------

--------------------
"NO ONE OS(SIC) FORCING YOU TO USE FACEBOOK!"
This actually isn't true. There is pressure exerted on one via peer pressure. So many people use it or only use it that it is the way to contact someone. Just like I'm sure none of your friends really email you any more and probably text/use the latest it IM app.

I have friends forced off of using their so called nicknames that are real nicknames, and used in public as public names and received awards for what they do with these names. So much hypocrisy coming from MZ.

Actually, Google really is doing away with Google+ in its current form anyhow and some elements will stick around, but the phase out is apparently due to the non-success of the service as a Facebook competitor.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/google-is-slowly-phasing-out-google-112517429669.html

They've already split photos, they did it the first day of IO, actually that split is confusing and a soon or current release of G+ is going to fix that by killing the built in photos sub app. This isn't really killing of G+ as functionally it doesn't change a thing. What is actually killing G+ is the Youtube comment integration, the killing of Nearby (this seriously was how I've made all my friends there that I didn't already know. It's grown my social life and I have even been in a friend's wedding that I somewhat met that way), the axe of Google local as well.

I don't disagree that G+ is becoming the Microsoft hardware of Google products, that is the create it and make it pretty good then forget about it and eventually kill it.

I have friends forced off of using their so called nicknames that are real nicknames, and used in public as public names and received awards for what they do with these names. So much hypocrisy coming from MZ.

Maybe this is a new stealth policy change and Zuckerberg is trying to act like it's been this way all along?

Lol...the "transgender community," as if there are lots of those unfortunates--millions of them...;) When Zuckerberg speaks like this it illustrates just how dumb/mindless "PC" can make a person. Good grief.

I will say this, however...without real names Facebook could not exist, pretty much, because people wouldn't be able to "find" each other...;) I, however, don't do Facebook and never will. Even the wife got really bored with it.

Heh, how exactly is facebook forcing anyone to do anything? They don't have any legal powers to anything.

Lol...the "transgender community,"

Transgender community, gang community... Almost the same thing except for one doesn't have to be gay (not the transgender).

This guy is backtracking and trying to cover his ass. Real names are just that - real names. Nick names are not real names. He's trying to redefine it. "Oh, yea. That's what I meant. The words used don't mean what they really mean. I meant something different. Real names doesn't mean really real names.". Admit the mistake and move on. Zuckerberg sounds more like an ass when he says stuff like this, rather than admit a mistake. A rich ass, but still an ass.

No, you are one of a growing majority that can't stand selfies and reading about people talking about themselves all day. I don't give a Fuckleberg about Facebook or the people on it.

Lol...the "transgender community," as if there are lots of those unfortunates--millions of them...;) When Zuckerberg speaks like this it illustrates just how dumb/mindless "PC" can make a person. Good grief.

I will say this, however...without real names Facebook could not exist, pretty much, because people wouldn't be able to "find" each other...;) I, however, don't do Facebook and never will. Even the wife got really bored with it.

That is one aspect but its more about the fact that when facebook was young their main competitor was myspace and part of what attracted people to facebook was it was suppose to be more mature as people were supposed to use real names and thus not act like idiots as people do when they are anonymous etc..... On top of that their entire business of mining your data works a lot better when they can positively identify you or make assumptions about you based on more accurate information.

I will say I have never actually seen any of the fake accounts I have or others I know have get removed.

No, you are one of a growing majority that can't stand selfies and reading about people talking about themselves all day. I don't give a Fuckleberg about Facebook or the people on it.

I only have dummy accts for other places that require you have an fbook in order to do shit on them.

I'm not entertained by a lot of newer mainstream tech.

It just makes me sad, mostly. I'm OK with being electronically-socially unplugged.

I only have dummy accts for other places that require you have an fbook in order to do shit on them.

I'm not entertained by a lot of newer mainstream tech.

It just makes me sad, mostly. I'm OK with being electronically-socially unplugged.

Many years ago I enjoyed tech. Now when I get home from work? Phone on top of fridge, work out for an hour, then relax with family.

We have our toys, but we are becoming unplugged, piece by piece. I'm tired of it.

I read somewhere it's merging to Hangouts. Same damn principle, but another website that is nothing more than a waste of time.

It really depends on what you do but facebook has basically become so ubiquitous you will probably end being forced to make a fake account. Coupons are one thing that you might need. But also if you are involved in any hobbies that are not tech savvy hobbies you will often find that the large number of luddites in the hobby seem to use facebook now more than forums to do things, communication, buying, selling, advertising etc......

Facebook was great for catching up with some old friends, but its pretty much over for me now. There is only so many times you can see someone's selfie, read a poorly-written political screed, watch someone be mentally ill in public, or be subjected to mind-numbing poltically-correct crusades with ribbons and slogans. It used to be good. It was stripped down and connected people. Now there are ads, they data mine, privacy controls change monthly, and so on.

Heck, I'm starting to unplug just in total. I'm hopped on here for the time in a while. Now I'm going to get off and read a book, a real book with an actual cover on it. Peace.

I don't think the real name policy has anything to do with data mining. They have their ad networks with cookies and other more deceitful practices. Besides that they have your email address, list of your friends and family and more than likely even if you opt out - a good approximation on your location.

They can deduce your name or just give you an unique identifier for advertising to you anyway.

I don't know why anyone has a FB account as it is. Zuckerturd has proven himself to be an anti-privacy guy and is for a truly "open" digital world in which there is no expectation of privacy.

We are watching a bunch of mindless narcissists post stuff that no one other than perhaps their own family gives two craps about. The whole "gay" filter over the profile photo is just further evidence that the people on there are just mindless sheep while this country goes down the toilet.

1) Your "real_name" is your legal birth name by law.
2) Any other name is a nickname and not a "real_name." by law.
3) If you want to legally change your "real_name" to your nickname, it must be changed in the court of law, and will cost between $200-$500 per name change, though every name used will be on file.
You're assuming everyone lives in the U.S..
If you're on facebook from, oh, perhaps the Maldives all those laws may very well be different.

You're assuming everyone lives in the U.S..
If you're on facebook from, oh, perhaps the Maldives all those laws may very well be different.

Even if there are countries that somehow have some screwed up laws which allow you to use a nickname in legal situations, wouldn't the ToS be different for those countries?

I only got a facebook account because someone at work wanted to play one of those facebook games against everyone in our cube area. I immediately deleted it afterwards, or thought I did, though they still send emails every day saying why haven't I returned. As for real names, I never use my real name online. Every site that requires one gets a fake name.

"Grrrr! I hate when people address issues that don't affect me!"
-This Thread, 2015

Back