Zuckberg Looking Into Encryption and Cryptocurrency This Year

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Since 2009 Mark Zuckerberg has given himself several challenges per year to overcome. In 2018 he intends to focus on issues like hate speech, errors that Facebook makes enforcing policies and other stuff. The issues I find interesting that he is looking into are the use of encryption and cryptocurrencies. He wants to sudy both and how they can be used to counter trends of centralized government power and use them in Facebook services. Does this mean a new Facebook coin is coming? Maybe he's going to have advertisers pay in crypto? Should be interesting once he makes up his mind.

For example, one of the most interesting questions in technology right now is about centralization vs decentralization. A lot of us got into technology because we believe it can be a decentralizing force that puts more power in people's hands. (The first four words of Facebook's mission have always been "give people the power".) Back in the 1990s and 2000s, most people believed technology would be a decentralizing force.

He's going to look into hate speech issues? I hate Facebook. He can have his proctologist look into that.

Oh... my... god... This... THIS IS THE FUTURE.

I say that... based on games like Shadowrun, where Megacorps had their own currency. THIS is the system they can do it with.

Get a job for facebook. Facebook Cryptocurrency is trading at 1200 US dollars, you will get paid 100k a year... in FBC. We have entire communities... where you can live and shop using FBC for all of your purchasing needs.

Need to travel.. just exchange some of your FBC for the denomination of your choice.

Yea... this is happening. I didn't think it was realistic in the game world unitl I realized this. Just WOW.

Oh... my... god... This... THIS IS THE FUTURE.

I say that... based on games like Shadowrun, where Megacorps had their own currency. THIS is the system they can do it with.

Get a job for facebook. Facebook Cryptocurrency is trading at 1200 US dollars, you will get paid 100k a year... in FBC. We have entire communities... where you can live and shop using FBC for all of your purchasing needs.

Need to travel.. just exchange some of your FBC for the denomination of your choice.

Yea... this is happening. I didn't think it was realistic in the game world unitl I realized this. Just WOW.

Nothing new here, Coal companies did this same thing 100 years ago. You were paid in company scrip, which could only be used at the company store and to pay for the company supplied houses. you never got paid enough to pay for everything you needed, but the "company" was very generous, you could run a line of credit at the company store, which you could never pay off, ensuring you had to keep working for the company to work off your debt...

and if you died in or were crippled in one of the numerous mining accidents, you and your family were kicked out on the street.

Facebook could learn a lot from the examples of the robber barons of old! indentured servitude the new way!

Looking in to peoples secure data more like. Real time AES256 decryption is not far away for the likes of him and his company.

He could do something useful, like housing, educating and employing the homeless. Educating kids from broken or poor backgrounds. Building 50 free hospitals. Lowering the price of pharmaceuticals for the poor.

But those things are not profitable.

Last edited:
While I agree that giving too much power to a centralized government can be dangerous, I'm not sure giving that power to the likes of FB and Google is such a good idea either. And I'm not convinced yet that so called crypto currencies aren't just another scheme to make a few fabulously wealthy at the expense of everybody else.

Nothing new here, Coal companies did this same thing 100 years ago. You were paid in company scrip, which could only be used at the company store and to pay for the company supplied houses. you never got paid enough to pay for everything you needed, but the "company" was very generous, you could run a line of credit at the company store, which you could never pay off, ensuring you had to keep working for the company to work off your debt...

and if you died in or were crippled in one of the numerous mining accidents, you and your family were kicked out on the street.

Facebook could learn a lot from the examples of the robber barons of old! indentured servitude the new way!
Hence "I sold my soul to the company store".

Editor: You forgot the T in study on the front page , not being a dick just pointing it out

As for the article, last thing I want is a FB coin lol

Since 2009 Mark Zuckerberg has given himself several challenges per year to overcome. In 2018 he intends to focus on issues like hate speech, errors that Facebook makes enforcing policies and other stuff. The issues I find interesting that he is looking into are the use of encryption and cryptocurrencies. He wants to sudy both and how they can be used to counter trends of centralized government power and use them in Facebook services. Does this mean a new Facebook coin is coming? Maybe he's going to have advertisers pay in crypto? Should be interesting once he makes up his mind.

For example, one of the most interesting questions in technology right now is about centralization vs decentralization. A lot of us got into technology because we believe it can be a decentralizing force that puts more power in people's hands. (The first four words of Facebook's mission have always been "give people the power".) Back in the 1990s and 2000s, most people believed technology would be a decentralizing force.

I just dont give a shit what this turd is doing. His experiments are typically not very well thought out and yield little results. From what I have seen so far, outside of FB (which he was just in the right place at the right time) hes not really anything more than an average coder.

Aren't the 2 guys he allegedly stole the idea for Facebook from also 2 of the largest investors in Bitcoin? This should be interesting.

Aren't the 2 guys he allegedly stole the idea for Facebook from also 2 of the largest investors in Bitcoin? This should be interesting.

Just another opportunity for him to steal that from them too? ;)

People pay attention to what this assclown says? Not this guy. I don't book my face, and I don't give 1/3rd of a turd about his "initiatives".

To be fair, there's many places in the country where Walmart is essentially like that.

The only difference being that walmart still pays in US dollars and not money you can only spend at walmart...

Back