Z's "Other Room" Water Cooling Loop Build Thread

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
So,

For some time now (think years, if not a decade) I've been toying with the "what if" idea of, what if I just built a large enough water loop that I could relegate all fan noise to another room, and finally compute in actual silence.

When I got my Threadripper which outputs a good amount of heat, I thought about this more. And then once I picked up my XTX 6900xt EKWB edition which I overclocked such that it put out 430w for just the GPU, I became even more interested in this concept. Replacing the 6900xt with a 4090 has not improved things.

Not only can I get rid of that pesky fan and pump noise, but I can also sit in a room that is not stupidly hot in the summer due to having a 1000+w combined power output.

This build will be documented here in this thread AND in thefpsreview forums. The build will progress slowly, so don't expect frequent updates. A little here, a little there should do it. I may be done in a few months, or it may take a couple of years. Not sure yet. It depends on how much time I have and what the budget looks like over time.

I'm usually someone who thinks about my projects for a long time before I execute, and the planning phase is usually much longer for a big project, so to say I have given this some thought is a real understatement.

The high level plan:
- Build a water loop that has only the blocks in my office. All noise and heat emitting parts of the loop are in a different room.
- This "different room" will be my "server closet" which is about 50 ft away on the other side of the finished basement.
- Luckily the finished basement has drop ceiling panels, so running tubing up there should be relatively easy.
- Cooling may just be high speed fans and radiators, but if I am feeling like it when the time comes it may even be water chiller based.
- Loop will be a "two loop" solution.
- One long loop (pumped from reservoir in other room to office, pass through CPU and GPU block, and return back to other room back into reservoir)
- One short loop (pumped from reservoir to radiator/chiller and back to reservoir)

Slightly more details:

- I was originally going to use a soft Tygon-like tubing, but after discussing it in this thread I decided to go with PEX. Further research made me land more specifically on PEX-A, as I'm pretty sure the extended length of this loop will challenge my pump capacity, and PEX A has less flow restriction as fittings stretch the PEX out, instead of fit inside it, like PEX-B does.

- The plan is to use dual D5's for the big loop, and a single D5 for the short loop. I will be using PWM controlled D5 pumps, as I don't want them going full blast at all times. This means I'll have to run a PWM wire from my office to the remote room to control the pumps. This may or may not wind up working well. After discussing it here, I have decided to send the PWM signal either via a CAT-6a or better cable, or a coaxial cable, and hopefully the signal remains intact the 50+ft it will take to get there. In order to keep a shared ground, I am going to power those two pumps from my PC's power supply. I'll probably use normal solid electrical wire to carry the +12v and ground from my PC to the other room, and hope the voltage doesn't drop too much. Worse comes to worse, I may be able to use an ebay sourced cheap DC-DC boost converter to pull the voltage back up to 12v on the other end. Time will tell if that will be needed.

- I'm hoping to wind up using two water chillers. One small, quiet and power sipping one for idle or near idle power loads, and a second big, powerful, and potentially loud and power wasting one to supplement at high loads. I had been looking at the Hailea chillers they had on Performance PC's, but they have been out of stock forever now, and it seems unlikely they will come back into stock. I'll have to do more research to figure out which to use, but there seem to be a bunch of different models on Amazon to choose from. This may wind up being too much though, and I may fall back on just "lots of radiators and fans" instead. Time will tell.

- With the water chiller, I'd probably wind up running slightly sub-ambient. You know, below ambient, but above the dew-point, to avoid condensation. This adds some design challenges. Firstly, I'm going to want to insulate the PEX so I don't suck up too much ambient heat in transit.

- Secondly, compressors don't like rapidly switching off and on again, as this can damage the compressor. Most of them have electroic controls for this, that refuse to turn back on until a certain amount of time has passed (usually 3min?) since last shutoff. I want the system to be able to control the water temperature to within ~1C. This means that I need to have a large enough amount of water that even if the PC is dumping heat into it at full load (~900w?) I won't raise the average temperature of the coolant more than 1C in 3 minutes when the chiller is off.

- Initial heat transfer calculations suggest I'll need about 10gallons of coolant in order to limit it to a rise of 1C in 3 min with a load of 900w, but it's not quite as bad as that. Firstly, there'd be two chillers. Presumably if the big one turns off, the small one will keep running. Assuming the small one keeps removing about 250w of heat even when the big one turns off, that means I only have to deal with 650W, not 900W. This means I've now reduced my coolant needs to about 7.4 gallons. Add to that, the 900W is an absolute worst case power load for my system, which probably won't happen very often, even in an intense gaming or rendering session.

- Still, this means I am going to need a large reservoir. I am considering using a 6.5 Gallon wide mouth glass carboy usually sold for home brewing purposes. Using a specialty drill bit, I'd drill holes in the bottom and install bulkhead fittings to allow me to hook up tubing. The 6.5 gallons may not be quite enough, but there will also be just over 2 gallons in the tubing at any given time (according to my calculations) so it should be sufficient.

- I don't want to absorb too much heat into the glass carboy, so it will have to be insulated. I haven't measured things yet, but I think it should fit inside a small 20 gallon Brute professional trash bin. I'll throw together some sort of support structure (probably criss-crossed 2x4 scrap pieces) in the bottom, then put the carboy in on top and insulate under and around it using spray insulation foam. I'd then also glue some insulation to the lid, as well as cut holes in the bottom and the top for tubing to go through.

So, this is pretty much the plan thus far. I'm pretty sure that as I start working on it, reality will set in, and the plan will change several times, but at least this expresses where I am trying to go with it. I will post pictures and progress as I go along, but as I mentioned, it will be slow moving.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, glad you settled on the PEX. Actually forgot about that thread. As for the rest...uh...wow. That's a project lol. My vote is still for simply put the PC in the basement and use extended cable to operate it, but hey, run wild with it :D

This sounds like a fun time, but did you consider just running a long video cable and some sort of usb extender from the other room?

I did think about that, and tried it a few years ago, but I had connectivity problems with long monitor cables, and USB extenders.

Maybe modern Thunderbolt based docks with optical extensions would work better than the last time I tried things, but I also kind of like the idea of having the computer right next to me.

Either way, one of the appealing aspects of this project is to get to do some old fashioned DIY water cooling on a large scale :p

As some wise person somewhere at some point said, the key to getting done is getting started, and in this post we are getting started. We have gone from the planning stage into the early execution stage.

So I did some additional research on PEX tubes.

As mentioned above, I had settled on PEX-A, as with PEX-B fittings go inside the diameter of the tube and can obstruct flow. For this project flow is going to be of great importance, so I wanted to do as little as possible to obstruct it.

Further research led me to this PEX specification page.

Lots of good information there that was helpful, including OD and ID ranges, weight of the tubing per linear foot, etc. etc.

My plan was to lay the tubing above the drop ceiling on top of the tiles at first, after which I will attach foam insulation around it, and then as a last step, screw it to the wood ceiling beams. I wanted to make sure the PEX in and of itself wasn't going to be too heavy for the first step, and damage the drop ceiling supports.

Turns out the weight comes nowhere near the level that would be damaging, so I am not worried.

What I also found on this page was the pressure drop table for various PEX tubing sizes:

1679277947790.png

I don't know if dual D5's will allow me to get there, but I am hoping to hit above 1GPM. According to this table 100ft (50 ft each way) of tubing length. I went ahead with the 3/4" PEX, as a 0.34psi (0.782 ft of head) seemed good enough, considering dual D5's put out 12.9ft of head according to the specs I have found.

I originally wanted to play it safe and go for uncolored PEX, as I didn't want to risk anyhting leaching out into the fluid. Remember, drinking water passes through the tube once, but coolant will circulate for a very long time, so there is greater chance of leaching, but I found an amazing deal on a kit that contained two rolls of PEX (red and blue) a good tubing cutter, and all the the compression rings for fittings I could ever want, so I went for it.
Turns out they are only colored on the outside anyway (though the light bleeding through makes the whole thing look colored)

1679278403074.png

I had never worked with PEX before. Turns out it is pretty stiff stuff, and it has a lot of memory coming off the roll. This could in part be due to working in New England Winter temperatures. I had to keep stopping my pull, and bending the tube back against the roll to straighten it.

1679278621888.png

You have to be careful when you do this, because bend too much and you can kink it.

I cut this piece out because of an inadvertent kink:

1679278734760.png

Turns out you don't necessarily have to do that. At least not with PEX-A. (the others you may have to).

With PEX-A you can heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun, and the PEX material tends to want to return to its original shape. A hard dryer can take a while and be a pain in the ass. A heat gun can quickly go form not enough heat to too much, but it's better than having to cut out the section.

After that I just kind of had to pull it through the ceiling, tile by tile.

1679278890791.png

(Note the tape covering the end, so I don't get crap inside the tube)

And here we are, both tubes near their final destination.

1679279064163.png

(The electrical closet is attached to my office, and my desk is a few feet from that door.)

Next steps are too figure out how I am going to route these to my desktop. I was going to try to come through from the electrical closet, but I don't think that is going to work, so my current plan is to cut a hole in the ceiling tile above my desk, and run a couple of extra large cable raceways down from the ceiling to where my desktop is.

I am going to do 90 degree bends on both sides up in the ceiling before the tube goes straight down. (I hope too much air doesn't get caught in the top corners). Then close to the computer and close to the reservoir I am going to install hose barb fittings in the PEX to transition to more common water cooling tubing before entering the PC.

I have ordered some XXL cable raceways from Electriduct. Their largest size is 2x3". The OD of the insulation that is going to wrap around the PEX should be 1.98", so they should fit one per raceway.

Once I have the raceways figured out its time to buy lots of pipe insulation at Home Depot and start installing it around the pipes, and then install the hangers to the wood ceiling.

Most PEX hangers are designed to go around bare pipe, so I am going to have to do something else. I may use galvanized hanger strap around the outer dimension of the foam insulation and use that to support it. I am concerned that once th epipes are filled with coolant, it will be too heavy for the drop ceiling, so hanging will be necessary.

I'm also going to have to buy a PEX-A pipe expander in order to install the 90 degree bends. I'm probably going to use a manual one, as the electric ones are pretty damn expensive, and I am only going to be doing 12 joints.

We have:
Hose barb adapter near pump (one joint)
Tubing from pump up to ceiling -> 90 degree bend (one joint)
Tubing from 90 degree bend to ceiling tubing (one joint)
Ceiling tubing to 90 degree bend (one joint)
90 degree bend to tubing down to PC (one joint)
Down tubing to hose barb (one joint)

So that is 6 joints for each run, and there are two runs, so 12 in total.

I can use the manual stretcher for just 12 joints I think. No need to spend $600 on a battery powered tool...

Rolls? Yeah. Sounds cool at first but a total mess to work with. The straight pieces are what you always want unless dropping it in a trench or something.

Almost made that mistake when buying it for the 1st time :D

Awesome project!

Pex is great, best to use the rolls in the summer when the heat can help it uncoil, I prefer straight sticks for this reason. Or you can hook it up to a hot water line and blast away at full temperature...

Like you discovered, the color is only on the exterior. White translucent is the base color, some manufacturers stopped coloring the whole tube and instead just wrote in red or blue too.

P-Tape can strap the pipes after insulation easily. 3/4 pex filled isn't that heavy, I forget how many feet equals a gallon but its a lot. P tape and some phillips screws every 2 feet or so, good to go. The expander tool can be rented, worth every penny IMO but the manual is fine too.

I'm thinking about just burying a coil for geothermal myself, ground temp year round would be great but would go subambient. I worked with TECs for years though so I'd be fine there.

Is your server closet air conditioned? If not, why not just go into a crawl space or something closer? Food for thought. D5 are great, otherwise there are some industrial/aquarium pumps that could do.

Rolls? Yeah. Sounds cool at first but a total mess to work with. The straight pieces are what you always want unless dropping it in a trench or something.

Almost made that mistake when buying it for the 1st time :D

Yeah, I bet straight pieces would have been easier to work with, but I also bet you can't buy 100ft long straight pieces :p

So I would ahve had to join them a few times in the ceiling, which sounds like a leak risk.

I like that it is one solid piece of PEX tubing all the way!

Awesome project!

Thank you!

P-Tape can strap the pipes after insulation easily. 3/4 pex filled isn't that heavy, I forget how many feet equals a gallon but its a lot. P tape and some phillips screws every 2 feet or so, good to go. The expander tool can be rented, worth every penny IMO but the manual is fine too.

Interesting. I may look into renting the tool.

Can you expand on the P-Tape thing? I googled but I can't find anyhting. I bet its some sort of abbreviation or something.

Thank you!

Interesting. I may look into renting the tool.

Can you expand on the P-Tape thing? I googled but I can't find anyhting. I bet its some sort of abbreviation or something.
Short for plumbers tape, but you're more likely to see it called "pipe hanger strap" because ptfe tape is being called plumbers tape now too... You can get galvanized steel or plastic, honestly plastic is good enough for your project too and very VERY easy to work with. Tin snips will cut both but steel is way overkill for pex. A single sheetrock screw or gold interior is enough through the strap, just don't overdrive through the plastic, no need for more screws but you do you.

Pex expansion done right won't leak. I probably ran miles of pex lol. If you ever have a slow leak, hit the joint with light heat to shrink it more but really, it shouldn't leak unless you drive a sheetrock screw through it lol. Or way WAY overstretch it, which is easier IMHO with manual tools, electric tools I just count it out per size. Also if the manual tool doesn't rotate the head, give it a slight turn between stretches for a more uniform stretch.

Short for plumbers tape, but you're more likely to see it called "pipe hanger strap" because ptfe tape is being called plumbers tape now too... You can get galvanized steel or plastic, honestly plastic is good enough for your project too and very VERY easy to work with. Tin snips will cut both but steel is way overkill for pex. A single sheetrock screw or gold interior is enough through the strap, just don't overdrive through the plastic, no need for more screws but you do you.

Pex expansion done right won't leak. I probably ran miles of pex lol. If you ever have a slow leak, hit the joint with light heat to shrink it more but really, it shouldn't leak unless you drive a sheetrock screw through it lol. Or way WAY overstretch it, which is easier IMHO with manual tools, electric tools I just count it out per size. Also if the manual tool doesn't rotate the head, give it a slight turn between stretches for a more uniform stretch.

Ah, nice. I bought a 100ft roll of galvanized strap. I did see the plastic stuff there, and I considered it as I through ti would be easier to work with, but I wondered if it would be sufficient. Having given it some thought, maybe I'll return the galvanized stuff and go for the plastic.

Where have you seen pex expanders for rent. I have done some googling, but come up short. It's not on Home Depots list for instance, but maybe it is something they have in store if you ask and not on the website?

Our HD would rent them, ask if they have a Milwaukee ProPEX Expander. I didn't see much for plumbing tool rentals on their site, but it might be regional or they may have quit doing it too.

Galv steel strapping is fine, just overkill. Can be nice and sharp too.

Our HD would rent them, ask if they have a Milwaukee ProPEX Expander. I didn't see much for plumbing tool rentals on their site, but it might be regional or they may have quit doing it too.

Thanks. I wonder if this is a Massachusetts thing. Here you arent supposed to do your own plumbing by state law. You are supposed to hire a licensed plumber. Seems union/protectionist in nature. :/

That said, they do sell all the piping, cement, faucets etc. etc,

I'm going to go in and ask in person and see what they say.

Galv steel strapping is fine, just overkill. Can be nice and sharp too.

Yeah, in retrospect after buying it, that is what I am concerned about. Either cutting myself, or something else I do't want cut. I'm probably going to return it and pick up some of the plastic stuff.

Hmm.

The plan was going to be to work on the raceways in my office next, so I could more and cut the PEX to its exact length, and do the 90 degree joints at the edges of the ceiling, but the raceway accessories I want are backordered until the end of May. :/

This is going to necessitate shifting gears. I wanted to hook up the tubing and flow test everything before I started building the reservoir, but maybe that order of things is going to have to change.

Thanks. I wonder if this is a Massachusetts thing. Here you arent supposed to do your own plumbing by state law. You are supposed to hire a licensed plumber. Seems union/protectionist in nature. :/
Not without a permit, but surely if you get a permit and do it to code you should be OKp
I was in the trade for a while, but just replumbed my whole house on both DWV (waste pipes) and potable hot and cold PEX, inspectors were happy.

The plastic hanger strapping is plenty. When you test DWV for instance you plug the main drain before it goes to the sewer system, and plug any other drains, and fill water up to the roof through the vents. My 3 inch ABS pipes held fine with plastic straps and didn't budge with all of that weight, so 3/4 pex won't even bother the straps. I wouldn't bother with the steel strapping until stepping up to cast iron waste pipes really.

Not trying to derail your thread, I look forward to your progress

Last edited:
The XXL Raceway's arrived today.

I also cut four 5ft lengths of PEX to serve as the parts that go up to the ceiling and back down again:

PXL_20230326_010711775.jpg

I spent some time trying to straighten them, even using some hot water in the shower, and this is the straightest I got them. I am going to stick them inside the unmounted raceway for a few days and hope that helps them become a little straighter, either way, once I put the insulation on them and shove them in the raceways, they ought to be straight enough.

I'm hoping the frame around the drop ceiling doesn't become a problem. I really don't want to cut into it, as I'd like this project to be reversible if possible.

PXL_20230326_010849886.jpg

It's about an inch thick, which will consume half the thickness of the raceway if I am not clever.

Has anyone ever seen 45degree PEX elbows? I figure if I use two of those instead of a single 90 degree elbow I can make this work navigating around the frame.

You know, come to think of it? I haven't. You might be able to find a 45 degree "sharkbite" type fitting, however. Those come in many more styles than specific PEX fittings.

Eww. Sharkbite.

Aren't those supposed to be ticking time bombs until they leak?

Eww. Sharkbite.

Aren't those supposed to be ticking time bombs until they leak?
Not if you use them right. Those type of couplers are used in refrigerators just fine for the 1/4" water lines. People usually don't use them because, well, they're pretty damn expensive. Shoot, my first custom loop was done using pex and off brand sharkbites.

*Edit* Just be smart about them. Nice clean flush cuts on the PEX, seat it properly, don't put a bunch of load on the fitting trying to bend it around something.

You know, come to think of it? I haven't. You might be able to find a 45 degree "sharkbite" type fitting, however. Those come in many more styles than specific PEX fittings.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but instead of trying to do some 45 degree nonsense, I'm just going to attach the raceways to an inch thick white trim board, which should make them level with that edge, and not be a problem, so the standard 90 degree bends should work.

I appreciate the suggestions though.

Next hurdle is that neither Home Depot nor Lowe's here rent out the electric PEX expander.

Home Depot only has "professional" tools. In other words, heavy duty stuff, none of which are a PEX expander.

Lowe's doesn't have a tool rental department here at all

If I can't find another source I am going to have to buy one of those manual hand expanders, because there is no way I'm buying a $500 PEX expander to ~12 joints, and then probably never touch it again.

Alright, some more progress today.

I bought one of those PVC trim pieces intended for outdoor siding use because the texture best matched that of the raceways, and because it won't need painting, which will save me some time.

Can I just say how much I hate that construction materials are never to dimension? The website is at least truthful listing it as 0.75" x 7.25" x 8ft, but the sticker on the damn thing says it is 1" x 8" x 8ft.

It should be too much to ask that a 2x4 is actually 2" x 4". It makes me fume that they are allowed to do that.

Anyway. moving right along.

I also ordered some specialty thread rolling screws designed for use with plastics.

These need to be pre-drilled with 1/8" holes so that the core of the screw can move down, and the threads can dig into the plastic.

So, I pre-drilled 6 holes so I can mount the raceways to the trim piece after it is attached to the wall. I also pre-drilled 3 holes in the trim piece so I can screw it to the stud using drywall screws.

1680483607754.png

Here is the trim piece, cut to 58.5" long, attached to the wall. I chose to go with 58.5" as I want the 5 ft raceways to poke into the ceiling by 1.5" to clear the drop ceiling frame.

Then it was time to screw the raceways to the trim piece:

1680483715553.png

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, except for the holes I cut in the ceiling panel:

1680483894424.png

I obviously need some practice when it comes to cutting ceiling panels. This shit just crumbles if you look at it wrong.

I was using my old boyscout knife, which is probably a little dull at this point. I would probably have better luck with a sharp contractor knife.

I have a ton of spare panels kicking around. As one of the last finishing steps of this project, I am going to have a go at cutting a cleaner one.

1680484203162.png

Ceiling tile aside I think it turned out pretty good.

Next step will be to either rent or buy a PEX-A tube expander and install the joints and the straight pieces, and attach the hose barbs at the ends.

I already vacuumed the room once, but I still have ceiling panel dust everywhere. This is going tot ake a while to completely get rid of it seems...

Last edited:
looking good, I didn't have a chance to read it all but pex bends very well, so you shouldn't need fittings unless you're doing some very tight work.

sharkbites are OK, but they are more prone to leak than pex or jointed plumbing

Ceiling tiles suck, and don't get it in your eyes! A box knife and multiple soft passes can do a good job. You can get more ceiling track stuff and use it to hide the rough edges too, tin snips will cut it easily. Rivet to the raceway if you want some support.

Last edited:
For my day job, I do a lot of ag irrigation system design...

With .75in pipe and a goal of 1gpm, I wouldn't worry about the pressure loss over a fitting or even the pressure loss due to the length of the run. I put a lot more water through a .75in pipe than 1gpm.

I was going to link to my favorite set of online flow calculators, but the site seems to be down tonight, which is odd....perhaps tomorrow it will be back up.

The biggest problem you will face is the pumping of the fluid. If you are pumping up 10ft (you know, to get into the ceiling) you will need 4.3psi just to get it up that high, then more to actually get it to move past. The more pressure the pump needs to produce, the less fluid it will pump. Not only that, centrifugal pumps aren't linear in their outputs per RPM. A pump curve for a D5 pump would be useful, but might be a fools errand to try and find one.

Now then, seeing are you are trying to isolate the noisy stuff in a different room, perhaps the noise of the pump isn't as big of an issue. In that case, perhaps a pond pump or something may be a better option. Small little pumps like this are a pain...you just can't find pump curves.

For my day job, I do a lot of ag irrigation system design...

With .75in pipe and a goal of 1gpm, I wouldn't worry about the pressure loss over a fitting or even the pressure loss due to the length of the run. I put a lot more water through a .75in pipe than 1gpm.

I was going to link to my favorite set of online flow calculators, but the site seems to be down tonight, which is odd....perhaps tomorrow it will be back up.

The biggest problem you will face is the pumping of the fluid. If you are pumping up 10ft (you know, to get into the ceiling) you will need 4.3psi just to get it up that high, then more to actually get it to move past. The more pressure the pump needs to produce, the less fluid it will pump. Not only that, centrifugal pumps aren't linear in their outputs per RPM. A pump curve for a D5 pump would be useful, but might be a fools errand to try and find one.

Now then, seeing are you are trying to isolate the noisy stuff in a different room, perhaps the noise of the pump isn't as big of an issue. In that case, perhaps a pond pump or something may be a better option. Small little pumps like this are a pain...you just can't find pump curves.

My thought process is that it will probably be a little slow during the "uphill" portions during filling, but that the "downhill" portions on the other side should zero out the high head requirements once the system is filled.

You know, having to push up against gravity on one side, but having gravity pull it down on the other.

A D5 should have enough head to fill up to ceiling height, bit it might be a little slow during fill, but I'm thinking flow should be good once filled.

Alright, so it was time to join the PEX yesterday.

For PEX-A everyone recommends the Milwaukee electric expander, but it is way too expensive for just a few joints, so I went with the manual kit. I was going to go for the standalone handle and 3/4" head, but that was almost as much as the full kit, so I just got the full one.

So, when it is open, the jaws are in the unexpanded state.

PXL_20230409_020634673.jpg

And then when you squeeze the handles together, it expands:

PXL_20230409_020644924.jpg

I haven't been to the gym in years, but I still have pretty decent upper body strength, and while the first few were pretty easy, as I went on, this started to turn into a little but of a workout.

PXL_20230409_014832108.jpg

PXL_20230409_015046445.jpg

PXL_20230409_020711463.jpg

PXL_20230409_020727846.jpg

PXL_20230409_020854599.jpg

I went with 3/4" 90 degree brass elbows for the tops near the wall.

Then at the bottom I installed 3/4" to 1/2" elbow adapters as I am going to use 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing.

PXL_20230409_024328872-clean.jpg

(going to have to wipe down the raceways when I am done, they got staticky as hell and are attracting all sorts of shit.)

The PEX-A fittings aren't designed for tubing (a hose barb would probably be better for that, but I couldn't find any).

PXL_20230409_024647300-clean.jpg

I tested them and they seem to work pretty well. Just to be on the safe side I decided to tighten them down with hose clamps.

PXL_20230409_024911896-clean.jpg

PXL_20230409_024920220.jpg

Those tubing pieces are about a foot in length each. On the end of them I'll attach some Koolance QD4 compression fitting quick disconnects. (when they arrive)

These of course won't fit any of my existing quick disconnects which are QD3's, but the QD4's seem to be less restrictive, so I wanted those for this build.

That's it for this week. Going to be quiet for a little while as we have an audit at work I am going to be busy with. That, and I forgot to order some parts, so I am waiting for them to arrive.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is going to be a while until the next update on this project.

The drain hose on my dehumidifier somehow sheered off, and I didn't notice until i stepped into my office without shoes for once, and got wet feet.

For who knows how long it has been depositing water under my veneer flooring.

Had to pull up all of the flooring in my office and dry it out, then I am going to have to reinstall the flooring before this project continues.

PXL_20230419_021228825.jpg

Fun times.

Never mess around with mold. The moment you have a damp problem, start ripping shit apart immediately or you'll live to regret it.

The drain hose on my dehumidifier somehow sheered off, and I didn't notice until i stepped into my office without shoes for once, and got wet feet.

Had to pull up all of the flooring in my office and dry it out, then I am going to have to reinstall the flooring before this project continues.

View attachment 565218

Fun times.

Never mess around with mold. The moment you have a damp problem, star ripping shit apart immediately or you'll live to regret it.
Oh boy, damn. Well, good luck with it!

I've got a somewhat silly question in the context of this being [H]

Have you considered a chiller running in the other room?

I've got a somewhat silly question in the context of this being [H]

Have you considered a chiller running in the other room?

Indeed:
The high level plan:
- Build a water loop that has only the blocks in my office. All noise and heat emitting parts of the loop are in a different room.
- This "different room" will be my "server closet" which is about 50 ft away on the other side of the finished basement.
- Luckily the finished basement has drop ceiling panels, so running tubing up there should be relatively easy.
- Cooling may just be high speed fans and radiators, but if I am feeling like it when the time comes it may even be water chiller based.
- Loop will be a "two loop" solution.
- One long loop (pumped from reservoir in other room to office, pass through CPU and GPU block, and return back to other room back into reservoir)
- One short loop (pumped from reservoir to radiator/chiller and back to reservoir)

View attachment 565218

Fun times.

Never mess around with mold. The moment you have a damp problem, start ripping shit apart immediately or you'll live to regret it.

Alright. Ripped out floor, dried out thorougjly, cleaned with Concrobium mold killer, dried out thoroughly again and reinstalled flooring.

Before moving all the stuff back intpo the office, I figured this was a good time for a flow/leak test.

I connected the two QDC connections together as follows:

PXL_20230530_013725370.jpg

I hooked up a Home Depot bucket as a temporary test reservoir:

PXL_20230530_013637259.jpg

Right off the bat, we had a leak, but luckily only in the temporary bucket reservoir.

It seems as if when you tighten down the through hole fitting, the rubber o-ring tends to want to pop out one side. :/

PXL_20230530_013656139.jpg

I may have to do some research and find a better through-hole seal than this when I build the final reservoir.

Anyway, the rest of the loop held water. No other leaks.

The return flow looked somewhat tepid, so I was concerned and tested flow by holding a 1 gallon jug under the return hose. (no pics sorry, needed both hands for this)

Turns out it fills a 1 gallon jug in about 30 seconds, so that's 2 GPM. I guess the larger diameter of the 3/4" PEX just makes things look a lot slower than I am used to with 3/8" ID tubing :p

Now, that is pushing water through 1 QDC connection, but there are no blocks in the loop. Blocks will definitely slow things down. How much I don't know.

I considered hooking up an old CPU and GPU block on the PC side to make the test more realistic, but I completely forgot.

So real flow will be slower due to more resistance, but I will also have two D5 pumps in series in the final design. This test used only one.

Another interesting side note is that the loop used way less coolant than I had calculated using L*pi*r^2. I'm thinking this is probably due to there being no backpressure from blocks resulting in the long flat tubes in the ceiling not filling all the way. I expect the final thing taking more coolant to fill it.

Side note: I have grand plans for how to drain the finished loop, but I failed to plan for this for the temporary test loop which made for a bit of a mess.

I also learned that the 500w DataVac blower is NOT sufficient to blow out the coolant out of the whole loop. I had to do one half at a time.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Last edited:
I think part of the issue with the leak is because the plastic in the bucket is flexing, a problem I won't have with the glass final product. Still, I should probably do something to shore it up just in case.

I'm thinking if I can put a large flat washer on either side of the o-ring, that should keep things flat and tight.

I'd need 1" SAE washers, preferably in brass, as I don't want to introduce even more metals to the loop than are already there.

I'll have to look around for a source of brass SAE 1" washers. Not sure how easy those will be to find.

Edit. Your link was even more than the one I found minute ago at $15 per.

Ah, I think this is a general purpose vs SAE thing.

1" SAE washers have an ID of ~1" and an OD of ~2", whereas general purpose 1" washers are ~1" ID and 2.5" OD.

I can't imagine the cost is justified by the material though.

I mean, brass isn't cheap these days, but still. Must have something to do with production volumes. The less of something that is made, the more it will cost per unit.

Pex measurements aren't accurate, 3/4 tube isn't I.D. so that's probably why your calculations are off. ID is closer to 5/8 or 11/16 if I recall, all PEX sizes are like that unfortunately.

I'm not 100% on what you connected to the bucket but when I needed to seal to a bucket well, I had to use a castle nut on one side and a flange with a base on the other, maybe the hole is too big or might need washers and rubber/neoprene washers for a better seal?

D5 pumps can have different performances depending on their housing, which one are you looking to use? Maybe try one pump pushing the loop and one pushing into the blocks? Might work better than series pushing the blocks and the loop but IDK, just curious.

Awesome results so far!

Just curious, maybe you mentioned it and I didn't see it, but if you go the water chiller route, wouldn't insulating the cool side supply tube be a concern?

Just curious, maybe you mentioned it and I didn't see it, but if you go the water chiller route, wouldn't insulating the cool side supply tube be a concern?

I'm planning on insulating as much of the loop as I can using those cheap foam things that you install around pipes to prevent them from freezing.

I plan on putting these on both sides both the "cold" and the "hot" side, as I am not expecting the Delta-T across the GPU and CPU block to amount to more than a degree at most, so both sides will be below ambient, so it will be in my interest to try to keep outside heat out as much as possible, or I will load the chiller more than necessary.

As far as condensation, I don't need to worry about this too much, as I don't plan on running significantly sub-ambient. I plan on staying in the range of temperatures that is below ambient, but above the dew point, so there shouldn't be any condensation.

My plan is to pick a temperature that is equivalent to the highest dew point I see throughout the year (inside my house, not outside) which is probably about 60F or ~15.5C, and then add a few degrees as a safety margin. I'd imagine I'll probably be running at about 18C in the summer just to be safe. Maybe a little lower in the cooler, dryer months.

THe only part I'll leave uninsulated is probably the tubing inside the case, and some difficult to insulate pieces between things. I'll let you know when I get there :p

Back