ZR30w Sucks!

Explain to me something. If you guarantee that your exquisite $1200 display has ZERO bright dots, then why don't you have a QA team verify it before packing it up?

2nd ZR30w now. Returned the first due to a bright green pixel. Just turned on the new one, and within one minute of putting on a black background, I count no less than 7 bright pixels, and one dead (black) pixel. What a high quality product!

So what now? I file a 2nd case and wait for a 3rd monitor to be shipped? Then what happens when I find dead/stuck pixels on that one? Sooo frustrated right now. :mad:

LCD monitors are always a gamble. I purchased three ZR30w's, two were perfect and one had a stuck pixel. Returned that one and got another and it was fine. So that was a 75% success rate for perfect panels, not too terrible.

So you expect all 4+ million pixels to be perfect? The odds of a bad pixel go up compared to a 1080 monitor.

So the ZR30w sucks because of one stuck pixel? :rolleyes:

There's one stuck pixel on mine and I think this monitor is the best thing since sliced bread! This thread is what sucks.

So the ZR30w sucks because of one stuck pixel? :rolleyes:

There's one stuck pixel on mine and I think this monitor is the best thing since sliced bread! This thread is what sucks.

Word.

Isn't there already a ZR30W thread for those who wish to share their thoughts with like-minded owners?

Yes, it sucks. It's $1200. That's a metric f*ckton of cash for a monitor. It should be absolutely impeccable for that price, especially when they guarantee it themselves!

Agree. People need to stop making excuses for crappy customer service (which includes shipping shitty products).

Wow even I dont expect my monitors to be perfect out of the box, the very first thing I did with my u3011 was to check for any stuck pixels. I had none, but its always a possibility. I dont see what the big deal is just send it back and get another.

What amazes me is how every time somebody had a legitimate complaint about something, there has to be a group of contradictory people tell the poster how he shouldn't care and just get over it. For $1200, that monitor ought to be perfect, no excuses. I guess people in this day and age have just gotten used to second rate bullshit customer service and half ass workmanship.

Last edited:
Like I said, I did return 1 of my 3 because it had a single stuck pixel and I got back one that was perfect. That is over 12 million pixels without a single flaw.

7-pixel problems is definitely unacceptable. Just return it and get another. Sorry but that is the way it goes.

Like I said, I did return 1 of my 3 because it had a single stuck pixel and I got back one that was perfect. That is over 12 million pixels without a single flaw.

7-pixel problems is definitely unacceptable. Just return it and get another. Sorry but that is the way it goes.

Yeah but how many times am I going to do this? It's not exactly easy to continually pack and unpack 30" monitors and waste time and gas driving back and forth to the UPS store. When do I give up? If this one had 7, and my other one had at least 1 that I know of, then I'm not holding much hope for the next one. I'm just saying, for $1200, they should at least power them on and have a QA employee look at a black background. Literally takes less than a minute to detect a bright pixel. I bet they think that the average consumer won't see or complain about bright dots, so they don't give a sh*t about shipping defective monitors.

The odd's are with you now that you will get a good one next time. Or you could really have a bad luck streak... :eek:

What amazes me is how every time somebody had a legitimate complaint about something, there has to be a group of contradictory people tell the poster how he shouldn't care and just get over it. For $1200, that monitor ought to be perfect, no excuses. I guess people in this day and age have just gotten used to second rate bullshit customer service and half ass workmanship.
seriously.

everything is so cheaply made now and not only do people accept it, people actually spend time apologizing for these companies and their bullshit manufacturing. kind of blows my mind :(

how hard would it be for HP to turn on the monitor and check it for stuck pixels before shipping it out, especially if they have some sort of guarantee. ridiculous.

I still don't get why someone would start a new thread because they got a stuck pixel on their new monitor. The ZR30w is not the only monitor that sometimes has this problem.

Maybe every time someone gets a stuck pixel or a dead video card they should make a thread about it saying the product sucks?

It's not the monitor that sucks. It's the manufacturing and craftsmanship that sucks. Blame HP and the other dozens of companies that do the same thing.

Yup.

Yeah but how many times am I going to do this? It's not exactly easy to continually pack and unpack 30" monitors and waste time and gas driving back and forth to the UPS store. When do I give up? If this one had 7, and my other one had at least 1 that I know of, then I'm not holding much hope for the next one. I'm just saying, for $1200, they should at least power them on and have a QA employee look at a black background. Literally takes less than a minute to detect a bright pixel. I bet they think that the average consumer won't see or complain about bright dots, so they don't give a sh*t about shipping defective monitors.

Maybe they do check them and the UPS employees were playing monitor soccer with them? Shipping can very easily damage monitors. I've owned upwards of 20 screens and I've even seen an LCD that was perfect develop a bad pixel the next day.

Keep returning it until you get a good one, and if it happens too often, call HP and get them on-site. Like you said it's a lot of money, so take advantage of whatever service you can get for it.

Now if you had posted this in the ZR30W thread a bunch of people probably would have piped in (already) with some useful advice, which is my point earlier.

I still don't get why someone would start a new thread because they got a stuck pixel on their new monitor. The ZR30w is not the only monitor that sometimes has this problem.

Maybe every time someone gets a stuck pixel or a dead video card they should make a thread about it saying the product sucks?

Yes, it's a bit of a rant. But this is no $200 monitor. This is used-car price territory. And I also started this thread asking a question - Why don't they don't have QA check for dead pixels before shipping it out? It's a valid question dude, and you don't have to keep posting here.

No. You want a guaranteed 0 minor defect 30" panel on every single unit you are going to pay much more then $1200.

Go look what a 21" CRT cost back 10 years ago. $1200 is CHEAP for what you are getting.

Yup.
Maybe they do check them and the UPS employees were playing monitor soccer with them?

This is another problem. They ship the replacement in a box with two big foam pieces that cover the edges of the monitor. There is absolutely nothing between the screen and the cardboard but air. If a UPS employee decides to stand on the box, his foot is going right through it and cracking the monitor.

This is another problem. They ship the replacement in a box with two big foam pieces that cover the edges of the monitor. There is absolutely nothing between the screen and the cardboard but air. If a UPS employee decides to stand on the box, his foot is going right through it and cracking the monitor.

Most screens' packaging is like that. In some cases if the packaging is more compact there is some styrofoam between the box and panel, but the foam still wouldn't protect it in that case as it's too thin.

Yes, it sucks. It's $1200. That's a metric f*ckton of cash for a monitor. It should be absolutely impeccable for that price, especially when they guarantee it themselves!

No it is not. You should have kept the first one. Heck the bright dot might have went away on its own eventually.

No it is not. You should have kept the first one. Heck the bright dot might have went away on its own eventually.

The monitor was 5 months used when I bought it. I ran the seizure inducing rainbow flashing for hours, I tried to massage it out, nothing. That dot was not going anywhere and it was staring me in the face every time a black screen came up. I won't settle for defective pixels on something this expensive.

Agree. People need to stop making excuses for crappy customer service (which includes shipping shitty products).

These. $1200 is a very major purchase, and to expect anything less than perfection, especially when HP themselves guarantee no bright pixels is silly.

my zr30w got one red pixel. it's only seen on dark background if you look really close. it's also on upper right corner, so can't even notice it. Didn't even bother with returning the monitor.

The monitor was 5 months used when I bought it. I ran the seizure inducing rainbow flashing for hours, I tried to massage it out, nothing. That dot was not going anywhere and it was staring me in the face every time a black screen came up. I won't settle for defective pixels on something this expensive.

Where do you live where you buy a used HP ZR30W used for $1200.00? That doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

These. $1200 is a very major purchase, and to expect anything less than perfection, especially when HP themselves guarantee no bright pixels is silly.

I never disagreed with this, the only point I made was that it should be posted in the ZR30W thread. And at the end of the day, to get that guarantee, one has to play by their warranty rules, though often, bitching loudly and desperately may help :)

QFT. ;)

I was impressed with the packaging, well done. Of course if someone stood in the middle on the box it would probably cause damage but then why would you sign for and accept it?

I went with the U3011 3 times and each one had multiple stuck pixels. Went with the ZR30w, first one had some stuck pixels, second one has been fine for me. Each company has their problems. I will say that HP's replacement system is much better. With Dell the stand is a real pain to take out of the box and put back in.

LCDs are gamble and always been like that. You can buy a $5K Eizo and still have a dead pixel on it. No guarantees. The CRT times were great. You buy a product and it's perfect and all the same.

I just think it's stupid to make a thread titled "X product Sucks!".

It's the same as making a thread titled "Radeon HD 6950 Sucks!", because the OP could not unlock the shaders on his 6950. It is misleading and unfair to the product itself.

ALL products, especially electronics, carry with them the risk of being faulty. You RMA and deal with it, you don't go bashing the product and make misleading statements.

I am willing to bet most people who own a ZR30w do not think it sucks.

LCDs are gamble and always been like that. You can buy a $5K Eizo and still have a dead pixel on it. No guarantees. The CRT times were great. You buy a product and it's perfect and all the same.

You must be forgetting all the geometry issues, poorly aligned tubes, pictures collapsing into a single dot or line, or any shadow mask display used regularly for a year pretty much being reduced to black/green useless trash. That and you always had two faint lines across the screen with trinitrons. I much preferred CRTs for the most part due to better blacks and no input lag but they certainly had their share of issues as well.

Got my third one. As expected, it has a stuck pixel. This one is blatantly obvious in the middle-right of the screen, and changes color depending on viewing angle. I spent 20 minutes trying to massage it out on a flashing rainbow background. No good of course. This is absolutely ridic. I've never seen such poor quality control on a monitor, even $200 monitors!

So how many returns before HP begins investigating me for harassing them?

edit - I just opened the third support case and I asked if someone could turn on the monitor and check for bright dots before shipping it out. They're probably going to laugh at me.

Last edited:
Got my third one. As expected, it has a stuck pixel. This one is blatantly obvious in the middle-right of the screen, and changes color depending on viewing angle. I spent 20 minutes trying to massage it out on a flashing rainbow background. No good of course. This is absolutely ridic. I've never seen such poor quality control on a monitor, even $200 monitors!

So how many returns before HP begins investigating me for harassing them?

edit - I just opened the third support case and I asked if someone could turn on the monitor and check for bright dots before shipping it out. They're probably going to laugh at me.

It's a matter of fact, hp lcd business monitors shows any kind of defects, i had 10 lp2475w replaced, this is totally absurd. on the other hand i bought several brands low cost monitors without a flaw.
Actually there is something to be done with hp, a petition? dear Hp what are u doing with yout professional monitors and what about poor packaging?

Explain to me something. If you guarantee that your exquisite $1200 display has ZERO bright dots, then why don't you have a QA team verify it before packing it up?

2nd ZR30w now. Returned the first due to a bright green pixel. Just turned on the new one, and within one minute of putting on a black background, I count no less than 7 bright pixels, and one dead (black) pixel. What a high quality product!

So what now? I file a 2nd case and wait for a 3rd monitor to be shipped? Then what happens when I find dead/stuck pixels on that one? Sooo frustrated right now. :mad:

Sorry that you were unlucky but that doesn't mean the model it self sucks.

Just opened up a brand new HP ZR30w today and no dead pixels, back light is uniform and AG coating is what you would expect from these units. Nothing to complain about here.

I just got my 4th one. It has a tiny stuck subpixel at the rightmost edge of the screen. So tiny in fact that I don't notice it at all unless I really get close. Also, there is a little piece of dust/debris stuck under the screen that appears as a dull gray spot on a bright background.

I just can't win. You know what though, I'm keeping it. Even with these tiny defects it is 100% better than the other ones (which appeared to have FULL pixel defects).

I apologize for the thread title. I was in rage mode. It should be "HP Quality Control Sucks", or "LG Quality Control Sucks" (it is an LG panel, right?). For them to continually send out defective units to me makes zero sense.

You keep complaining about how it sucks and how much trouble it is, why not just return it at this point?

Fairly certain it's replacement only.

... And my nightmare continues.

Monitor is taking 5+ minutes to turn on during a cold start. Must be an internal capacitor issue or something because once "warmed up" it turns on right away.

Soooo, it's going back. I would NEVER recommend one of these monitors after this. What a joke.

... And my nightmare continues.

Monitor is taking 5+ minutes to turn on during a cold start. Must be an internal capacitor issue or something because once "warmed up" it turns on right away.

Soooo, it's going back. I would NEVER recommend one of these monitors after this. What a joke.

Tell your UPS/Fedex/USPS dude to stop punting your monitors. :p
Good luck with #6!

Back