ZR2740w $630 shipped at MacMall

If I wasn't buying a house soon I would be all over that. >< Nice monitor, I love the high resolution without the ungodly price tag.

LED backlit, IPS panel and 2560 x 1440 resolution? what's not to love!

what's not to love!

The horrible AG coating. I had this monitor, and it's great if you don't mind the coating, but I couldn't get over it. I now have the Samsung S27A850, and couldn't be happier.

If you live in a dark basement then I can live without AG coating but my current living location has too many windows. Those Samsung monitors reflect like a mirror.

Holy crap... I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this and selling off my three 2408wfps. Eyefinity is losing a bit of its charm for me, but I can't really afford to by a 30" monitor - this would be a great compromise though.

Damnit OP, my wallet might hate you for this.

3x2408>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HP

The reflection difference between a semi-glossy Samsung and grainy matte IPS is very minimal. The difference in perceived grain and color vibrancy with whites+light colors is not.

LED backlit, IPS panel and 2560 x 1440 resolution? what's not to love!

The LED back lighting. Speaking of that when are we going to get some local dimming on monitors.

The lack of a scaler and no HDMI input sort of kills it for me since I like to hook my PS3 up to my computer monitor.

3x2408>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HP

The reflection difference between a semi-glossy Samsung and grainy matte IPS is very minimal. The difference in perceived grain and color vibrancy with whites+light colors is not.

Every samsung I have seen at CompUSA on display has these extreme gloss coating. If I can read text off paper from 6 inches away then it's too glossy for me.

Damnit OP, my wallet might hate you for this.

Mine already hates me :)

The lack of a scaler and no HDMI input sort of kills it for me since I like to hook my PS3 up to my computer monitor.

It will work with a PS/3 at 720p, I tested it with one of mine. But it won't work at 1080p, which does kinda suck. But I barely use my PS/3, and it has the living room TV, so not a factor here.

Every samsung I have seen at CompUSA on display has these extreme gloss coating. If I can read text off paper from 6 inches away then it's too glossy for me.

You are probably referring to their 120hz line up which are all glossy. Semi-glossy displays are a tincy more reflective than a grainy matte IPS but aren't super grainy. If you have seen BenQ's VA line up (vw2420, ew2420. bl2400pt) they are also semi-glossy. Here is the EW

Here is the semi-glossy Samsung, lights were on
More pics

Last edited:
although there is a slight model difference between the one normally 900--

XW476A4#ABA - 900
XW476A8#ABA - cheaper

Not sure what the 4 vs 8 denotes.

Well that's annoying... Wonder if I can refuse the shipment.

Anyways, hardware wise, all of the ZR2740w part #s are exactly the same. Other than that not sure what the differences are.

Last edited:
The LED back lighting. Speaking of that when are we going to get some local dimming on monitors.

I'm actually pretty furious at the lack of evolution in computer monitors. Why are big displays still so expensive? Why do we not get local dimming? Why isn't 120 Hz available on a monitor like this?

I think because they realize they can gouge the market for pricing, when you make 1920x1080 the new standard and everything else a "luxury".

I feel the same "furious/disapointed", high res used to be standard on CRT's (or at least high compared to now), we went LCD and we lost our resolution standard.

I'm actually pretty furious at the lack of evolution in computer monitors. Why are big displays still so expensive? Why do we not get local dimming? Why isn't 120 Hz available on a monitor like this?
There was a golden moment a few years ago when 1920x1200 24" displays were starting to drop in price quickly, and I remember seeing them for $300-ish. My Planar 24" panel, an admittedly overpriced one, was somewhere around $400, and I regretted it at the time since the prices seemed to be dropping.

Then.. 1920x1080 came along. Everyone and their dog switched gears to cranking out 1920x1080 panels and slapping FULL HD on the box in as big a font as possible. Then they cut the prices on those, and the 1920x1200's sorta fell away and were immediately put into the "Professional/Graphics/Business" class, aka the "can charge more" class.

Now, anything over FULL HD is some Scrooge McDuck monitor that certainly no soccer mom would even imagine buying, so clearly we have to segment those into a special market for special people. They basically took a pack of slightly-higher-quality hot dogs, slapped the words "KOBE BEEF" on the package, and jacked up the price.

As far as quality panels go, AKA IPS, there's never been a better time to buy. U2412 (1920x1200) has been $300 on and off the last few months.

And this HP model launched at ~700 in september and is now $600($500 with rebate).

Yeah it would be slightly better if 1920x1200 displays TN displays were in the sub $200 range, but that part of the market is price price price, so there's no way that race to the bottom isn't going to happen, and that race to the bottom includes paring back the resolution to the minimum that will sell(1080p).

And even at the higher low end, Samsung had a 2048x1152 panel that was low 200s(2343bwx) for quite a while, guess they didn't sell enough to make it worthwhile to keep making them.

Next year it's rumored we'll see even cheaper 27" IPS panels, as well as 120Hz IPS panels. Hopefully the rumors come true.

I cant find anything about macmall's dead pixel/return policy.

Anyone know this off the top of their head?

Why am I so poor my 305t is looking pretty old and 2650x1440 would probably run a little smoother than 2650x1600 in bf3.

but again why am I so poor.

I believe MacMall will not take it back at all. Or at least not without much gnashing of teeth, and restocking fees, and threats of chargebacks and such. It wouldn't surprise me if your order is actually drop shipped from HP.

However HP will most likely take care of any issues you have. It is a "business class" monitor and gets support from HP small business rather than HP home. And I believe HP themselves warrant it, at least against any stuck bright pixels.

Last edited:
I believe MacMall will not take it back at all. Or at least not without much gnashing of teeth, and restocking fees, and threats of chargebacks and such. It wouldn't surprise me if your order is actually drop shipped from HP.

However HP will most likely take care of any issues you have. It is a "business class" monitor and gets support from HP small business rather than HP home. And I believe HP themselves warrant it, at least against any stuck bright pixels.

Thank you!

this is a screaming deal. i bought mine for almost a hundred more and don't regret it for a second.

also, the difference is model numbers is inconsequential. for unfathomable reasons, HP always has two SKUs for its monitors. one is cheaper and one is more expensive but the packages are identical.

Back at $549.99. Still a great deal, but kind of miffed at MacMall. Called them to try and get the price adjusted back to $499.99, but they refused. Had it in my cart at $499.99 too, and right as I clicked to check out it jumped back up.

Probably will still bite the bullet at $550.

Edit: Yeah, just ordered. Nice too, you'll get free 2nd day air shipping on this. For me that's great - I'll get it a day before I leave town for the holidays so I can set it up and make sure it doesn't need to be sent back for any reason.

Edit2: Reminds me - they tax in CA, TN, and I think NJ.

Last edited:
Supposedly they're going to refund me the $30 difference between Thursday and Friday's price. Doesn't seem likely I'll be able to get in on the rebate though, I might try.

I was surprised, I've read many negative things about MacMall's CS over the years. Hasn't stop me from buying good-great deals from them on occasion though.

Supposedly they're going to refund me the $30 difference between Thursday and Friday's price. Doesn't seem likely I'll be able to get in on the rebate though, I might try.

I was surprised, I've read many negative things about MacMall's CS over the years. Hasn't stop me from buying good-great deals from them on occasion though.

Hmm, maybe I will try calling again later and hope I get a different CS rep.

Tempting to get 3 for surround view but I don't have the GPU power to push them...guess I have to settle for one Dell U3011 instead.

Can always run em at 1080p for surround gaming. I occasionally run my 30" at 1920x1200 in demanding games, it works fine that way.

in for 3. Couldn't pass up getting 3 of these for a few hundred more than a 30". Now I just need a few 7970's or 680's to push the pixels.

Back