ZOTAC ZBOX Giga ID70 Plus almost perfect HTPC

Was there really a need for a 3000x2000 picture?

Thanks for the retardedly large picture.

And I have a 2560x1440 monitor.

:rolleyes:

Sweet box. I am on the fence though about the price tag of $739. I think though to have a click and order solution and have some nice horse power, small form factor, and just put it into your multimedia setup this is an interesting looking option.

thats a huge price tag imo. Rather build a micro-atx setup. Give better flexiability for down the road upgrades.

Weird box. The hard drive is too small to be a serious media box but a waste for just a streaming box.
A small SSD would have been better (noise & power too) for the price they're asking. It's design is similar to a few other boxes out there but with the optical drive & media reader swapped. With bluray being dead technology (streaming makes renting/pay per view easier) it makes sense I guess. I've never seen a GT430 without a fan so I'd be interested in knowing how noisy it is too.

Personally I need at least one 3.5" HDD for a HTPC box...2.5" doesn't cut it for me. Network storage is nice and all but I prefer at least one local storage HDD. I don't like having a bunch of extra network traffic flying around for playing videos when I'm trying to game or something.

It's pretty slick though.

I won't comment on the mega-size picture... :S

If your 1000Mbit network can't handle a 30Mbit video stream without hoarking it's broken.

If your 1000Mbit network can't handle a 30Mbit video stream without hoarking it's broken.

I can stream fine, but I don't want the wife/kids streaming video over the network while I'm trying to play online games (I try to keep lag to an absolute minimum).

Plus, then I end up with yet another computer running 24/7 to host all of the media, wasting power 365 days a year, along with the HTPC.

Prefer a setup that I can squeeze a 3TB drive or two into so the HTPC runs dual duty as a media server for the house and as a HTPC.

Hell, even my Shuttle K45 had room for 2 3.5" HDDs and it was pretty tiny. Of course, the motherboard on that died :(

I can stream fine, but I don't want the wife/kids streaming video over the network while I'm trying to play online games (I try to keep lag to an absolute minimum).

Plus, then I end up with yet another computer running 24/7 to host all of the media, wasting power 365 days a year, along with the HTPC.

Prefer a setup that I can squeeze a 3TB drive or two into so the HTPC runs dual duty as a media server for the house and as a HTPC.

Hell, even my Shuttle K45 had room for 2 3.5" HDDs and it was pretty tiny. Of course, the motherboard on that died :(

Buy a router with a decent QoS function and plug your machine into it. Everybody else can go on a unmanaged switched. Telling your family they can't watch a movie because you want to play games that isn't even on the TV makes me scratch my head a little bit.

The OP has been here for 11 and a half fucking years and apparently doesn't know how to:

A. Resize
B. Not steal bandwidth

Based on the dumb-assery noted above I would tend to disregard any recommendations he/she may give for a product.

It's a nifty looking niche product - that's about it. It will be purchased by the uninitiated consumer that fancies themselves a technophile but lacks the knowledge to put together something themselves....

I do really like the fact that it has an 'onboard' GPU that's actually discrete and has it's own dedicated memory... even if it is only a GT430.

Buy a router with a decent QoS function and plug your machine into it. Everybody else can go on a unmanaged switched. Telling your family they can't watch a movie because you want to play games that isn't even on the TV makes me scratch my head a little bit.

I have QoS running on my DD-WRT router - it helps minimize lag from internet traffic to a large degree - but the best choice is no lag on the network.

I hate lag, even a couple of extra ms. QoS helps to a huge degree, but it's not a magic lag eliminator. It's better not to have a ton of network traffic running around.

Plus, like I said, why stream it over the network and leave 2 machines running 24/7 instead of one? Waste of power. I prefer a HTPC/media server combo.

Back