Zotac GTX Titan X

Probably closer to $1049-$1099 with the aftermarket cooler. Whether it's worth it or not with the GTX 980 Ti right around the corner, that is heavily dependent on the prospective buyer.

Zotac uses such shitty non-reference coolers on their cards. Just because it looks fancy doesn't mean jack. I got burned (or I should say, my GTX 560 Ti got burned) by a crappy cooler that couldn't keep the card from hitting 95C and throttling at stock speeds. I would never buy another video card from them again, certainly not on the high end.

FWIW I got the EVGA Titan X SC and the reference cooler works OK for mild overclocking (not great, it's definitely temperature limited), but I would rather see a custom aftermarket cooler than anything released by Zotac :)

Actually the last Zotac EE cooler was very good. And Zotac is very good with warranty issues. Perhaps not EVGA...but they are decent. I was probably their first RMA when I talked to Kelly years ago when they dumped cheap 8800 GTXs on the market.

This cooler. I dunno. It doesn't have the style of the EE. They should have stuck with that design.

As far as I know Zotac GTX 560ti had two types of aftermarket coolers. Either a single fan 3 heatpipe version with a copper base plate or a shorter single fan 2 heatpipe version with a copper base plate. As you can see that type of configuration is not going to do wonders in terms of cooling. They were more budget oriented cards offered at a lower price.

Modern aftermarkets now typically default to 2 fans with higher end ones using considerably larger total fan area and heatsink mass.

Zotac by the way is actually a subsidary of the same company that Sapphire is who is considered AMDs best partner in terms of custom board designs.

I still think the largest issue, which is shares with Sapphire, is that the warranty on paper isn't tranferable which hurts resale.

As far as I know Zotac GTX 560ti had two types of aftermarket coolers. Either a single fan 3 heatpipe version with a copper base plate or a shorter single fan 2 heatpipe version with a copper base plate. As you can see that type of configuration is not going to do wonders in terms of cooling. They were more budget oriented cards offered at a lower price.

Modern aftermarkets now typically default to 2 fans with higher end ones using considerably larger total fan area and heatsink mass.

Zotac by the way is actually a subsidary of the same company that Sapphire is who is considered AMDs best partner in terms of custom board designs.

I still think the largest issue, which is shares with Sapphire, is that the warranty on paper isn't tranferable which hurts resale.

I'm going to have to dispute that, having dealt with Sapphire, which I could make a sitcom of their operation.. and Zotac, which is markedly better.

Sapphire, when I knew them made you pay both ways for shipping, after they tried to downgrade your RMA.

Zotac is much better. I know from recent experience.

The secret is: the paper says they won't honor a transferable warranty... but they will if you ask nicely.

Did I just ruin it? If they are smart, they will keep on keeping on.:D

Zotac uses such shitty non-reference coolers on their cards. Just because it looks fancy doesn't mean jack. I got burned (or I should say, my GTX 560 Ti got burned) by a crappy cooler that couldn't keep the card from hitting 95C and throttling at stock speeds. I would never buy another video card from them again, certainly not on the high end.

FWIW I got the EVGA Titan X SC and the reference cooler works OK for mild overclocking (not great, it's definitely temperature limited), but I would rather see a custom aftermarket cooler than anything released by Zotac :)
EVGA is selling the ACX 2.0+ cooler for the Titan X, but has said they have no plans to offer the two together out of the box. I ordered one for my Superclocked Titan X and I'll have it next Tuesday. It should be able to fit any Titan X since the PCB has to follow NVIDIA reference. It even comes with a backplate and thermal pads.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-FS-2990-B9

I can get around 1450 MHz Boost with the reference cooler at 100% fan (5000 RPM!) before it can't stay below 85C. And to be honest, the room my PC is in gets too damn hot at that clock speed... I'm looking forward to seeing what my Titan X can do with the ACX 2.0+ cooler.

Interested to hear if that cooler helps. I can't stand the fan at 100% so I keep mine at 50% and can't really go over 1350mhz at that.

Most likely nVidia wasn't letting them offer it on the card for retail. They wouldn't have much say in EVGA making aftermarket gpu cooling though as long as it wasn't offered on the card. With this news from Zotac maybe nVidia is loosening up their restrictions and EVGA might be able to do it. Pretty sure from watching EVGA's product line that they will want to stick as many of their own coolers on anything they can.

Most likely nVidia wasn't letting them offer it on the card for retail. They wouldn't have much say in EVGA making aftermarket gpu cooling though as long as it wasn't offered on the card. With this news from Zotac maybe nVidia is loosening up their restrictions and EVGA might be able to do it. Pretty sure from watching EVGA's product line that they will want to stick as many of their own coolers on anything they can.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00935/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-X-HYBRID/

Hmmm, thats interesting. Not sure why they won't offer it then on the card.

The EVGA Hybrid card cooler kinda looks dull and boring, I was expecting a better look but if it performs well and has a better cooling solution and not too loud under load, then it should be fine. Still waiting to see which card I should get though.

Back