ZOTAC GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi

A couple of previous posts have suggested that if one installs a discrete NVidia graphics card, the onboard 9300 ITX gpu could be used for PhysX. I am wondering if anyone has managed to do this in practice. I tried to setup a 9300 ITX equipped with a BFG EcoIntelligence 9800GT 512Mb in this way, but while both gpus were visible in the NVidia control panel, there were no menu choice allowing off-loading of PhysX to the onboard gpu.

It's on the same panel you would set SLI options, i'll confirm when I get home.

It's on the same panel you would set SLI options, i'll confirm when I get home.
Yes, I remember reading something about that on the 9300i launch articles.

There is a somewhat weird option that allows you to choose if PhysX is handled through the IGP only, GPU only, or combined (if memory serves me right).

And I do believe it either has its own tab (it might be an advanced tab), or it's bundled up with SLI, since it actually is an SLI option (albeit only partial).

Is it just me thinking NVIDIA could/should code their driver setup program as to ask for this thing when there is both an NVIDIA IGP and GPU on the same system, while you're installing? Just a thought...

Cheers.

Miguel

danishfk, The board can handle dual video output by itself and you can boot from a USB dvd slim burner to save the SATA ports for hard drives. (my slim burner had an internal sata connection too)

At the moment with the newer (dual link enabled) revision, you could run for example, 1920x1200 on the HDMI and 2560x1600 on the dual link DVI at the same time, plus whatever the add on card can do.
I've tested quad digital HD output already using the board and a GTX 275 hooked up. (no issues)
You can probably run 2048×1536 on the VGA but I haven't tested it yet. (I could this weekend)

I'd personally recommend that you pick up some 1066 speed ram because you can run it at at least 1000 MHz stable instead of 800.

Are you talking about revision 3? Do you have this revision? Earlier in the thread, many people (inc. me) were very confused about the revision 3 release. Nobody seems to have solid information - even Zotac is saying different things.

I have the revision 1 board (really 2nd revision, because revision 0 is the initial version) and didn't even try dual digital outputs because I was under the assumption that only clone would work. Dual simultaneous digital (obviously non cloned) outputs would be a major advantage.

-darkmatter08

Now I know why I had the feeling I was saying something wrong...

Yes, you're right. Sorry about that. However, I do believe the audio codec (be it the integrated codec on ATI GPUs or the system sound card) must also handle the format for it to be passed through HDMI, right?

Sorry for the slip-up. Either I read DTS-HD or I was thinking DTS-HD when writing the answer.

If I understand it correctly, you can have raw audio output (PCM, in which case the amp will need to decode the audio path) in up to 5.1 channels over HDMI (please correct me if I'm wrong), any lossy Dolby, DTS, etc. formats directly over HDMI (provided there is an audio codec processing it in the PC, which means there is a rather narrow range of options right now), or lossless formats (DTS-HD, DolbyTrueHD, and so forth) with the Xonar. So far, only 8-channel PCM audio seems to be utterly missing from the list of options.

So, I believe this time I got it right, but do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. HTPC audio is not really my specialty.

Cheers.

Miguel

This is incorrect. The board will fully support 8 channel PCM output to a receiver capable of picking it up and playing back properly. Using Windows 7 on this board, I have fully tested 7.1 (8 channel) 192khz/24bit PCM (important - not truehd/dtshd master) output to my Onkyo tx-sr607 and it works well. To test it. I have used the audio control panel, right clicked "NVidia HDMI output" and then configure speakers, obviously the 7.1 option. Then after continuing through the window, I also right clicked the "NVidia HDMI output" and selected Properties. In the window, I went to advanced, and selected the output in the drop down menu to 24 bit 192000hz, and tested. Looking on my onkyo, I confirmed that I was getting 7.1 multichannel PCM output - the way to do this varies.

The advantage to this method is that when you have a ripeed bluray movie, you can convert the HD audio tracks to FLAC (using eac3to) and then remux the new audio and the original video into an mkv for playback. Using madflac as a directshow filter in MPC HC I achieved blurays with lossless sound outputted perfectly through HDMI as PCM.

This exact same feature can also be done using an add in 4000 series ATI card, except the name of the HDMI out may be changed.

For this board, I didn't change anything in the BIOS, but some boards need adjustments in the BIOS - this only refers to the situation when you are using onboard outputs for audio.

I have had an extremely difficult time getting one feature to work, however. I cannot get DVD audio formats like Dolby Digital or DTS to output bitstreamed over HDMI, the player always upmixes it to 7.1 and outputs as PCM. Otherwise when selecting various forms of bitstreaming (depending on the filter) I just get static - I don't know how to solve this issue.

-darkmatter08

Sorry for double posting, but I thought this deserved a desperate post.

Last edited:
Are you talking about revision 3? Do you have this revision? Earlier in the thread, many people (inc. me) were very confused about the revision 3 release. Nobody seems to have solid information - even Zotac is saying different things.

I have the revision 1 board (really 2nd revision, because revision 0 is the initial version) and didn't even try dual digital outputs because I was under the assumption that only clone would work. Dual simultaneous digital (obviously non cloned) outputs would be a major advantage.

-darkmatter08

I have that J1 version. (version 1) Of course the 9300 can do dual HD output (non-cloned) simultaneously no matter which version of the board that you have.
I'd recommend running it with 512MB video RAM (BIOS option) if you do that. (and are displaying more than just a text window or something on the second screen)
If you are just running 1 monitor on the IGPU and aren't gaming I'd run just 256MB RAM to the IGPU or maybe 128MB.
If you go to 64MB or lower and are running 1080p your going to start seeing performance issues with general web surfing and what not probably. (general web surfing includes flash, etc)

I forget off the top of my head what the lower video RAM limit is in the BIOS though...
The auto option will keep you at 256MB most of the time if your running 1080p.

Also of course you should pair this board with 4 GB or more dual channel RAM and a 64bit OS.
I have had zero board specific issues with XP Pro 64bit on this board. Zotac/Nvidia have full driver support for this thing including the wifi.

I also got the HDMI audio running the other day. (how I don't know)
I'm going to have to investigate. At first I though maybe you had to be running primary over the HDMI to get the audio device option but thats not true as I saw the option while using my GTX card over DVI>HDMI.
Maybe it wasn't seeing my sony receiver correctly or that BIOS reset option needed to be set and it needs to be plugged in before you turn it on. (I thought I did that though)
Actually it did work on my sony receiver once...

This is incorrect. The board will fully support 8 channel PCM output to a receiver capable of picking it up and playing back properly.
OK, there you have it. Thanks for the correction. So it seems only lossless High Definition audio formats are currently missing.

Do tell me, though: the NVIDIA HDMI sound output you are referring to... does it piggyback on the Realtek codec, or is it a full fledged codec, like the one on ATI IGPs/GPUs? I was under the impression that NVIDIA could only route audio through HDMI using SPDIF (hence the extra connector on newer cards), be it external to the card itself or through the PCB.

I have had an extremely difficult time getting one feature to work, however. I cannot get DVD audio formats like Dolby Digital or DTS to output bitstreamed over HDMI, the player always upmixes it to 7.1 and outputs as PCM. Otherwise when selecting various forms of bitstreaming (depending on the filter) I just get static - I don't know how to solve this issue.
Hmmm, I'm guessing you already went about the advanced options within the player to find if 7.1 upmixing was in effect, right? If not, that might be the problem.

I'm not an audio expert, but I do have some experience with software "kinks". Assuming you only wrote *after* trying to find a solution really hard, can it be the software you're using automatically upmixes or downmixes the audio stream according to the speaker configuration on the sound control panel? That would mean 5.1 channel audio would only play back properly (non-upmixed) if the audio output was configured to 5.1.

That doesn't seem a logic thing to do, obviously. You should be able to tell the software "I don't care what the speaker configuration is, just play it on the number of speakers it was designed to output on", meaning Stereo would output through 3 channels (bass/LFE is always handled through the dedicated speaker, if available, it seems); 5.1 would be re-routed to 6 speakers without manipulation, and 7.1 would also be routed without manipulation to all the speakers.

Hope his helps.

Cheers.

Miguel

I found this link is the most useful: http://expertester.wordpress.com/2008/07/27/how-to-enable-ahci-windows-xp/

However, it may not work the fist time you try it (that happened to me). Just scroll down to the end the page, and the info about modifying the registry is critical!

I modified registry according to Phreddie's method, and it worked! Once it's figured it's actually very easy. It's great to see my external HD showed up through eSATA, and fast at 45-55MB/sec transfer.

========================================================
(From http://expertester.wordpress.com/2008/07/27/how-to-enable-ahci-windows-xp/)

There is a funny problem for nvidia chipsets. I have made a post on nvidia’s forums about it, “Alter AHCI, RAID driver inf files to allow individual install”

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=103872

The last paragraph: The solution meanwhile: Each time you make an attempt at the AHCI driver switch, perform the hack of forcibly changing the controller to the new AHCI controller. BEFORE you reboot, go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase] and find the key entry with a similar name to the first device ID described in the [driver's] .inf file. Rename this key to a different ID referred to in the .inf file. Do this until one works.

Example, I install the nvidia SATA storage controller over the standard controller. Then go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase] and rename the key “pci#ven_10de&dev_0554&cc_0106″ to “pci#ven_10de&dev_0AD5&cc_0106″. If this fails, use the “Last Known Good” option to repair the Windows boot, then do the hack and try another device ID. One will eventually work.

Comment by ego533 — August 5, 2009 @ 7:10 pm | Reply

Thanks very much for the info, that’s how I actually got mine to work. However, rather than trying them out one by one, I simply exported the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0554&cc_0106], opened the .reg file in a text editor, copied the exported branch and pasted it a couple of times underneath, altering the dev_XXXX&cc_XXXX section in each entry according to the nvgts.inf file’s various device IDs.

I then updated the driver in devman, uninstalled the std. IDE controller and imported the .reg file I created before I rebooted. Switched to AHCI in BIOS and booted into Windows. And voilà: NO BSOD!

Perhaps someone else will find this helpful.

Comment by Phreddie — August 11, 2009 @ 5:28 pm | Reply

========================================================

By the way, below is the registry I made according to Phreddie's method. The device IDs were copy/pasted from 20.14_nforce_winxp32_international_whql\IDE\WinXP\nvgts.inf.

cheers,

============================================
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0054&cc_0104]
"Service"="nvgts"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0054&CC_0101]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0055&CC_0101]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0266&CC_0101]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0267&CC_0101]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_037F&CC_0101]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_03F6&CC_0101]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_044D&CC_0106]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0554&CC_0106]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0555&CC_0106]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_07F4&CC_0106]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0AD5&CC_0106]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0AD4&CC_0106]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0AB9&CC_0106]
"Service"="nvgts"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_10de&dev_0AB8&CC_0106]
"Service"="nvgts"

Hi everyone, I'm setting up my first build and have gone with thevery popular combination of the 9300 itx mobo and the sg05. I've run into a bit of difficulty with cooling however, got a 8400 not overclocked and thermalright AXP-140 which I was hoping to use as passive cooling, but it looks like I'm gonna have to get a slim scythe fan (when I can find one).

My problem at the moment is that the mcp temperature and the cpu temp just keep rising until power cuts out (even just idling in BIOS) and I was wondering if thats expected given I only have the heatsink? I'm new to all of this so don't know if the mcp and cpu temps are linked? or should they be independent? I am yet to get to a stable temperature for either.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've also been looking at cooling solutions for a 9300-ITX + Sugo SST-SG06 -based system. E5200 CPU, probably HD 4770 GPU later on since it's out of stock everywhere around these parts (Finland).

The goals of my system are small-ish size with reasonable power consumption and as low noise as possible while having decent performance. With the case being 1/4 of the size of my old one and by estimation power consumption going down by 40-100% depending on load while still being able to improve graphics power, though losing on the CPU side of things, that's pretty much meeting all goals except the "silent" part.

Problem is most CPU coolers seem too wide or high. So I don't really know what would fit both the board, and the case. The Thermalright AXP-140 seems like it should fit, but it has no fan and as such I'm worried it won't keep the CPU cool, and given it is 72mm in height, there seems little room left for a fan installation. Not to mention the thing is pretty expensive.

Then there's the GPU cooling. I've heard good things about the Accelero L2 Pro, but given its dimensions, I think it won't fit in the case.

Not that I'd have any idea how loud the case itself, both case fan and PSU fan-wise. Haven't gotten the parts of the system yet that I've ordered (which is everything but the GPU and coolers aside from stock CPU cooler), since case and optical drive are out of stock.

E5300 + GeminII S combo is cheaper than a E5200 + GeminII S combo. I assume the higher multiplier would definitely help, but maxing fsb shouldn't be an issue with either of the processor.

I would be using OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 with the system. Should I just get the E5300 ?

E5300 + GeminII S combo is cheaper than a E5200 + GeminII S combo. I assume the higher multiplier would definitely help, but maxing fsb shouldn't be an issue with either of the processor.

I would be using OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 with the system. Should I just get the E5300 ?

If you can get the E5300 cheaper than the E5200, then sure, buy that one. I'm sure you have read the threads about the GeminII S, but if not, you would need to use a 20mm thick fan, the standard 25mm thick fan will not fit.

Also, about the ram, I think the Zotac is limited to DDR2-800 unless the ram can be overclocked.

If you can get the E5300 cheaper than the E5200, then sure, buy that one. I'm sure you have read the threads about the GeminII S, but if not, you would need to use a 20mm thick fan, the standard 25mm thick fan will not fit.

Also, about the ram, I think the Zotac is limited to DDR2-800 unless the ram can be overclocked.

Yes, I'll be opting for the Yate Loon 120x120x20mm fan, as far as the ram is concerned I'll just underclock it ? I think its better than buying a DDR2 800 and overclocking it. As far as I remember someone posted here a page or two ago in response to my post that I can run them at 1000 stable.

Hi everyone, I'm setting up my first build and have gone with thevery popular combination of the 9300 itx mobo and the sg05. I've run into a bit of difficulty with cooling however, got a 8400 not overclocked and thermalright AXP-140 which I was hoping to use as passive cooling, but it looks like I'm gonna have to get a slim scythe fan (when I can find one).

My problem at the moment is that the mcp temperature and the cpu temp just keep rising until power cuts out (even just idling in BIOS) and I was wondering if thats expected given I only have the heatsink? I'm new to all of this so don't know if the mcp and cpu temps are linked? or should they be independent? I am yet to get to a stable temperature for either.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

From your description, I would say it is a seating issue with both heatsinks. Reseat them if necessary.

MCP temps are normally 50-60c idle. I do remember this thread, it may help you.

There have been threads saying that a passive GeminII is working ok, I'd imagine the AXP-140 would be ok too. Is there enough airflow coming from the intake fan?

From your description, I would say it is a seating issue with both heatsinks. Reseat them if necessary.

MCP temps are normally 50-60c idle. I do remember this thread, it may help you.

There have been threads saying that a passive GeminII is working ok, I'd imagine the AXP-140 would be ok too. Is there enough airflow coming from the intake fan?

I was hoping to avoid reseating as I've never done it before, but it looks like i'm gonna have to. I noticed taking a closer look that the pipes on the axp-140 were touching the northbridge heatsink when screwed in tight, maybe unseating it? I loosened the bolts a little, but now I see that theres not much contact with the processor itself, so it looks like I might need a new smaller northbridge heatsink. I saw these two:

Enzotech slf-1
slf_1.jpg

and enzotech cnb-s1
cnb_s1.jpg

Currently leaning toward the former as its very low profile and active cooling, but would like your guys take on this.

There should be enough airflow, i have the 3.5" bay still installed which gets in the way a little, but I've managed to tuck most of the cabling out of the way so I would imagine its good.

I can get my board connected to a vga monitor and hdmi (hitachi 32" lcd tv) in dual display without a problem running XP. But nothing is shown on the tv when it boots. Does hdmi usually work in text mode or the tv might prevent this from working properly?

I'm also trying to connect the pc with hdmi only and run xbmc live but nothing is shown on the tv even xbmc has started completely.

Edit: I noted that when boot up, my tv briefly shown "invalid scan frequency" before "no sync signal". It should be telling why blank screen. I checked the manual that the tv can handle hdmi from vga up to 1080i 60hz. Anyone knows these myths?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I could see the boot up and BIOS using just HDMI. (no other video devices hooked up) It might be a problem with your TV.

I was hoping to avoid reseating as I've never done it before, but it looks like i'm gonna have to.

It's quite simple, need a small pair of pliers, on the underside of the mb, pinch the pins together and push through the mb.

I noticed taking a closer look that the pipes on the axp-140 were touching the northbridge heatsink when screwed in tight, maybe unseating it?

I'm quite glad you mentioned this because I was considering the AXP-140. Maybe I can go for the Cogage MST-140, it's heatpipe design should not interfere with the mcp heatsink, but I'll wait until I see some reviews.

Reseated both heatsinks (decided not to get a new northbridge as the hole spacing wasn't right) and am now getting way better temperatures.

BIOS idle stabilised at 45 cpu and 55 mcp, while Real temp is reporting 37 cpu and 52 gpu, so I'm very happy. Not tried any stress testing, but not expecting anything out of the ordinary.

Hi everyone!

I have built a system with this Mobo, but i am not able to read out the fan speeds. Can anyone give me a hint how to get this work?

Drivers installed: 20.09_nforce_winxp32_international_whql//190.38_desktop_winxp_32bit_international_whql//6.05_nvidia_system_tools

Bios:2K090422///PCB:01

Tested: HWMonitor, Speedfan, Everst Ultimate

Oh it worked for about 2 hours or so with the 9600GT Low Power Low Profile card. Specs were as follows and you could see a big increase in performance. Max power draw during testing was 145W and no squealing, just fan noise from the GPU cooler. The 9600 GT LPLP doesn't have a 6 pin connector tho.

Results:
Watts
IGP - 35/80w
9600GT (idle/load) - 50/145w

3DMark06
IGP - 1866
9600GT - 10071

3DMark Vantage
IGP - E3966
9600GT E19085/P5006

How do you measure IGP power only? And VGA power only?

Hi there,

Sorry if this old news but this is the reply I got from Zotac regarding the new revision motherboard:

##########################

The PCB Revision (03 and newer) will be equipped with the following, which are different from the older PCB (00, 01) :
- 3 pcs of onboard SATA port (only 2 pcs on the older PCB)
- Wake Up by USB Device from S3 Suspend mode (not available on the older PCB)
- Dual-Link DVI Port (only Single Link DVI Port on the older PCB)

The new generation PCB (03) will start phase in around OCTOBER

Andrew
ZotacUSA
17921 Rowland St
City of Industry, CA 91748
####################################

I cant wait until Oct/Nov for the new board!

I really only need the dual HDDs for my system along with a blu ray drive so only the extra sata port would have been the only main requirement.

It occured to me the other day that you could use the two internal sata sockets for the HDDs and insert a USB2 slim blu ray drive on to the board using the internal USB headers. I would also add a bluetooth and wireless N stick there while Im at it.

Has any one tried this or would it be recommended or should I just wait?

This does kinda suck. I don't need the 3rd SATA port necessarily right now, because I'll just be using a single 2.5" 500GB HDD and a slim Blu-Ray drive. But having the option for two HDDs (basically for a mirror RAID setup) that I've been thinking of getting in the near future would certainly be nice.

I suppose it'd be possible to get a SATA<->eSATA adapter cable and rig it to go back inside the case to attach the Blu-Ray drive to the system with that... but even that is a bit of a messy solution :( Not to mention if I get an eSATA external hard drive (also something I've been considering), I'd always have to unplug the optical drive to use it.

So yeah, the new revision would provide exactly what I'd need. Sadly there's no comparable motherboard (mini-ITX with PCI-E x16) that I've found in Finland. There's an MSI board but it costs 60% more while having a way worse IGP. Even more sadly I can't wait 'til this new revision hits the stores so I guess I'll just have to settle with a non-optimal board. Unfortunate, given that even the Zotac board isn't what I'd call cheap.

As I said in a previous post a USB dvd burner runs just fine. I can boot from it and install windows and everything on my board.
Also this is the only method you can use besides a flash drive or network boot to install from a cd to a three hard drive RAID.
I would definitely recommend a USB drive to save your sata ports.

I have tested a 3 hard drive RAID5 and RAID0 using an esata to sata cable for the third port as well.
It works just fine.
A usb blu ray drive will work of course too. There is more than enough bandwidth on USB2.0 for one.

Since the new board has been announced I would wait to get it unless you want to save some money for less sata ports and no USB wake.
I think you could wire the +5V standby into a usb port and wake from a current board but I haven't tried this yet.

Since I heard that the old boards are now going on sale for about $100 you should ask yourself if the new board with USB wake and a 4th sata is worth waiting another month or two and ~ $30 extra.

If it is worth it then wait, if not buy now.

The thing with USB-based optical drives is the cost, plus too many external devices means a messy desktop. Or I guess connecting a SATA drive to USB internally might be a solution too, but adapters can get tricky as well (especially as extra things, even small ones, inside such a small case is never good).

The reason the purchase can't really wait is that my only computer right now is a Samsung NC10 netbook, and I have a rather large amount of computer work ahead of me this fall. I'd needed the darn computer a week ago already, but my order is stuck because of some out of stock items (mainly display since my current one broke, the rest of the missing items I could have delivered later on).

And chances are that even if the new revision launches in October, it probably won't reach Finland for another month or so at least. So, waiting for several months because of one SATA port (the other features I have no need for) isn't indeed worth it, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it :( I'll have to look into the eSATA-situation in more detail at some point, depending on how well the cable routing would work out with the Sugo SST-SG06 case.

Oh well, it's still a decent board in other aspects at least. Just surprising that they didn't put in a third internal SATA port to begin with.

Last edited:
Doh! I just ordered one of these boards too. Guess I'm going to return it so I can wait for the new revision.

How do you measure IGP power only? And VGA power only?

I'm not, I'm benchmarking using a kill-a-watt meter against 2 setups. One with the integrated graphics processor (IGP) and one with the 9600GT.

Even if the new boards are ready in October, it will take several weeks for the old stock to clear the channel and the new board to hit he shelves.

As everyone has said, these boards arnt exactly cheap and for the cost, I'd like something fairly future proof but there is a lot of new tech on the horizon - LGA 1156, USB 3.0, certified wireless N, etc. If it wasnt for the Mini ITX form factor, this board would be nothing special.

I'm pretty sure most of us know that if it weren't for this board's form factor, it wouldn't be special.

If an i5 mITX board comes out before the new revision of this board is available then I'll get that i5 or whatever board.

Maybe I should've just gone for microATX and save plenty of money on the mobo alone and be able to use my old X-Fi... but mATX is still so damn big and there's not really many mATX cases I like :D

I would consider getting one of these.. i want to put one in a Lian Li PC-Q07.. .hmm wonder if it can handle a slim video card in that case..

Is anyone having any doubts about investing so much money on a new LGA775 system when the socket is almost dead? Will Intel continue to release new 775 processors along side the corei3/5/7 chips?

Do we need another 775 processor....seems to be plenty right now!....BUT, new motherboards, etc, for 775 are still coming out!

Is anyone having any doubts about investing so much money on a new LGA775 system when the socket is almost dead? Will Intel continue to release new 775 processors along side the corei3/5/7 chips?

Not that I know of. i3/i5 is taking the place of the current Core2's.

I'm hoping that once Core i3/5/7 chips are released, the prices of 775 products may drop, it's still a decent platform.

Last edited:
I would consider getting one of these.. i want to put one in a Lian Li PC-Q07.. .hmm wonder if it can handle a slim video card in that case..

If I recall correctly (someone correct if I'm wrong) the PC-Q07 can take a low-profile video card but can't take a full-height one if using a normal ATX PSU.

I have been thinking about this, yes. But in all fairness, current LGA775 products are essentially quite enough for any normal home for some time to come. While I don't think there will be new LGA775 processors anymore, old ones will drop in price, especially in the used market. This way, I'm planning on getting a Q8400S or similar low-power quad later on for a reasonable price when the E5200 or E6300 I'm getting gets to be too slow. Currently the quad would cost 3,5 times what the E5200 does, or 2,5 times more than the E6300, therefore not being very good bang for the buck in comparison. But when the prices inevitably drop at some point, it's a valid upgrade option in place of a platform change.

Also I think it'll be some time before the new platforms hit the market in full force, let alone in ITX sizes and with low power consumption models such as the E5200. And most likely not for such a low price.

In the end if it comes to that, I'll just upgrade to a newer platform later on. That's what I've already been doing so far, after all :p

EDIT: Come to think of it, in the "upgrade to quad-core" plan the weak link is the motherboard itself, since it doesn't allow undervolting - and given the new revision coming, even if that one allows undervolting, I don't think the current revision ever will. I've seen some pretty drastic power consumption cuts in tests with undervolted quads like the Q8400S. And of course even the E5200/E6300 would most likely somewhat benefit from the feature. Of course if you aren't that concerned with power consumption (which is one of my primary ones) it's not a big deal, but of course it also affects temps and as such cooling requirements quite a bit.

Last edited:
I'm being wooed by the passive Sapphire HD 4670 again... damn it. If only there was a passive HD 4770, and one that is actually available unlike all the HD 4770s at the moment.

Similary the Silverstone NT06 is tempting me. Sigh. This back-and-forth will never end, especially as it'll take ages to get all the parts of the system due to things being out of stock (like the case is completely out of stock as well, with no idea on availability dates) and as such I have too much time to make decisions and then counter them when I think of something else... :p

Back