ZOTAC Antagonizes Gamers With New White Edition Cards in Mining Rigs

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Zotac's begun selling their new white edition Nvidia 30-series cards, and to celebrate they've tweeted a photo featuring some of them in a mining rig. Except they've tagged #gamers and #pcgaming for some reason, maybe just to rub it in.

At first glance in my newsfeed I assumed it was a clever fake from reddit - no company could be this tonedeaf even with the language barrier - but it's actually real (edit: was still alive as of this posting, they deleted the tweet but it's still preserved here)

SmartSelect_20210217-003133_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Their cards suck anyway, they can have em'
My 2080 AMP has been great so far; stays around 55-60C under full load (in both mining and gaming) and stays boosted to 2000+ MHz core so it's as good or better than some 2080 Supers. It's quiet as well still since fans never go over 37%. If their 3080s perform as well, I will def consider them if I get a chance to get one, but would really prefer an FE over anything else.

My 1080 AMP is a beast as well. Seems like a much better built card than my evga 1080tis.

That said this is pretty hilarious. The best part is pissed off gamers won't hurt their sales at all with the current demand.

While true. Why be dicks about it still?

I suspect in their mind gamers and miners are one in the same. I don't think this was an intentional middle finger to gamers.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to learn that whoever is in charge of their social media doesn't know much about the current situation or stigma, they probably aren't even a gamer. Just come to work, post pictures of high end cards, and slap as many EXTREME, AMP!, ROG, AWESOMSAUCE, MAXX, etc. buzzwords as you can fit on it. GG

I suspect in their mind gamers and miners are one in the same. I don't think this was an intentional middle finger to gamers.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to learn that whoever is in charge of their social media doesn't know much about the current situation or stigma, they probably aren't even a gamer. Just come to work, post pictures of high end cards, and slap as many EXTREME, AMP!, ROG, AWESOMSAUCE, MAXX, etc. buzzwords as you can fit on it. GG
Perfectly summarized. This is what happened. But it's way more fun to get outraged.

>>> To the fainting couches!!

Last edited:
I have a 2080ti AMP Extreme and a 3090 AMP and sure they are not the fastest things out there but fast enough to get the job done. No complaints from me.

While I don't like the idea of miners or scalpers, so what if a company is trying to make a profit? Is that really any news / surprise to anyone here?

Perfectly summarized. This is what happened. But it's way more fun to get outraged.

Ignorance of the problem is a bigger issue than the problem itself. You can't effectively fight something while people don't even know about it.

Dang and here we been wondering what's exactly going on behind the scenes when we have an insider among us! ;)

No outrage here though, I find it hilarious. This is why marketing gets paid the big bucks.

I am not sure if anyone ever did choose to buy a Zotac card over an other brand in the history (outside the this is the cheapest card available) hard to imagine a scenario for which it matter much what they post online.

I am not sure if anyone ever did choose to buy a Zotac card over an other brand in the history (outside the this is the cheapest card available) hard to imagine a scenario for which it matter much what they post online.

I bought a Zotac GTX 650 because it was the cheapest card I could find that could do 4 monitors (most can only do 3). But yeah, it was the cheapest that could do it. I don't think I would ever choose them for a high end card.

Who has the time? But yeah I could use one of those.
Not trying to be a dick, but I've learned you have to make time, sometimes. Over the last few years, I've been involved in a bunch of long running software conversions at my day job, the kind of things that take 3 to 6 months (and fortunately not the kind that takes years). The PM keeps asking me at the start of every one if I am planning on taking any time off. My role is critical, but I'm not going to black out half the year as vacation free. I'm sure you already know this but people will take up 120% of your time if you let them, and you eventually have to say "no".

Also, goddammit, Samsung keyboard, you are the worst word guesser. His do you even come up with some of the stupid suggestions you make? (Sorry, that mini rant has been coming for weeks.)

Edit: fixed a couple of Sammy's bone headed mistakes.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a dick, but I've learned you have to make time, sometimes. Over the lay free years, I've been involved in a bunch of long running software conversions at my day job, the kind of things that take 3 to 6 months (and fortunately not the kind that takes years). The PM keeps asking me at the start of every one if I am planning on taking any time off. My role is critical, but I'm not going to black out half the year as vacation free. I'm sure you already know this but people will take up 120% of your time if you let them, and you eventually have to say "no".

Also, goddammit, Samsung keyboard, you are the worst word guesser. His do you even come up with some of the stupid suggestions you make? (Sorry, that mini rant has been coming for weeks.)

Edit: fixed a couple of Sammy's bone headed mistakes.
It's come up, they want me to take vacation it's just a scheduling thing, and a funny story. If I just take a day or 2 and don't fill out any forms until I get back nothing goes wrong, if I fill out a form something terrible and well outside my control happens the day before I am supposed to leave. My last attempt was early Jan, but a pipe burst and put my server room under a foot of water, time before that an AC unit caught fire, so I had to move the server rack out of that closet so the repair work could be done, then my last real attempt was back in March when I tried to take a good 3 weeks off for an event but then Lockdowns. So it was recently decided that they were going to put up some postings to try and find me a part time assistant but I am way out in the ass end of Canada, so the applicants for that should be a hoot if/when they ever get around to actually posting that position. Because our attempts to date to just find somebody to cover for me when I had to leave were hilarious.

True story they were calling me begging me to get stuff done fully knowing my wife was in labor because the temp they hired to fill in for me for the week showed up on his first day drunk and started a fistfight with a couple of students mid-afternoon.

the temp they hired to fill in for me for me for the week showed up on his first day drunk
Dude, have you considered a career change? Like, learn to ride a horse, and get a job at a dude ranch babysitting city slickers.

Dude, have you considered a career change? Like, learn to ride a horse, and get a job at a dude ranch babysitting city slickers.
And miss out on all the fun toys that I get to build and play with on somebody else’s dime??? But it has been considered, I got into doing tech in 2008 when the software development company I was working for shuttered when the company that owned the company that I was working for declared bankruptcy and was parted and sold off. Didn’t get a pink slip but the company phone just turned off, my login’s vanished, and the pay checks stopped. So the tech company I was working with at the time for an implementation decided to hire and train me for that. Would like to get back to development but I am rusty as all hell now.

What problem? All I see is gamers whining about what others do with their money.
I've explained a thousand and one times, I can't help anyone understand it. Cryptomining = Wasting natural resources with no product or service being created. Maybe one day you'll understand why that is a problem, and hopefully it won't be too late by then.

Nvidia probably has a huge mining farm for all their new cards, they let them sit there a couple months to "burn in" and crunch bits and then they pack em up and ship em out. Genius!

Back